The Rise Of Ruben Amorim

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In no universe would Alonso come to manage United, not when he's already rejected a move to Liverpool and could probably have the pick of the top teams in Germany and Spain, possibly even Man City, when Pep leaves (hopefully next year).

I still think you're a good 4-5 years from a title challenge, especially if the Potter/Southgate rumours are to be believed.
I don't think Alonso will ever manage ManUtd and I don't think we will even make a move. There are plenty of managers out there.

Also don't know why people come up with timelines for title challenge. Did you think Arsenal will be title challengers in a season when they had poor first half in 2021-22?

Suddenly it clicked, 2021-22 they finished well and a proper title challenge in 2022-23.

padzilla

Hipster
I don't think Alonso will ever manage ManUtd and I don't think we will even make a move. There are plenty of managers out there.

Also don't know why people come up with timelines for title challenge. Did you think Arsenal will be title challengers in a season when they had poor first half in 2021-22?

Suddenly it clicked, 2021-22 they finished well and a proper title challenge in 2022-23.
Who would have said in 2013 that Klopp would turn United down only to manage Liverpool a year or two later. Things can change very, very quickly.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool

I didn't see it with Arsenal to be honest, I meant more that if you end up going for Potter or Southgate, I could see them coasting for 2-3 years, while you get the rest of your house in order, before appointing a truly great coach/manager

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Who would have said in 2013 that Klopp would turn United down only to manage Liverpool a year or two later. Things can change very, very quickly.
Yeah and also Leverkusen would win Bundesliga. Things change very quickly in football, 2-3 very good transfers and a good coach.

I didn't see it with Arsenal to be honest, meant more that if you end up going for Potter or Southgate, I could see them coasting for 2-3 years, while you get the rest of your house in order, before appointing a truly great coach/manager
If we hire Southgate then we wont finish top 6. If we hire Potter, can see him doing well at mid level, like competing for top 4-5, nothing more.

Agree with that part. If we hire them then yes.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I actually think this gives us a chance of getting Xabi Alonso to manage us.

I think part of the Southgate Potter stuff is almost PR to raise the hype when we get a new manager that is at a completely high level.

More than this coming from Sir Ratcliffe - I see this coming because of Omar Berrada.

You don't go snatch some of the best DOF's, the best technical directors, the best youth set up coaches (Southampton lad) & then get an absolutely bang average manager.

Maybe its delusional - but I can see Omar Berrada trying to convince Xabi Alonso to start this 'new exciting project' or even Zidane who has said he has no interest in the PL.

The fact that neither has any association with United does give us less of a chance - but people shouldn't underestimate the power of a new exciting project either with all these new wonderful workers.

I'm saying we are going for Xabi Alonso, Zidane or Nagelsmann in that order with Simeone & Motta being under dogs.

With Klopp gone next year - it gives an open space for title contending because the 1st/2nd best manager in England and arguably the world is leaving this league.

I also believe this is Pep's last season (don't know about his contract) because he is giving players like Doku & Foden, Bobb more of a chance than he did before almost like he is ready to leave having created a new generation for Man City to take on and do well without him having won all competitions for them last year.

It's again very delusional - but if we do get a top level manager in, i believe we will be title contenders next year without a squad to actually win it especially if someone like Arsenal win it this season. Easy top 4 in my opinion.
Alonso very clearly stated that he will stay at Leverkusen for another season. There is absolutely no reason that he will turn around on that public statement he just made.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Managing in a crap Portuguese league is a total different ball game to managing in the Premier League, handling egos, transfers, etc

They struck lucky with Klopp who had German league titles, got to Champions league final before joining Liverpool. This guy has none of that.

Got a feeling that maybe the new heirachy maybe want a 'yes man', and not a strong personality to tackle them. Alonso would be strong and powerful.
What is he Arnold Schwarzenegger? You sound like Tarzan typing. Where did you come up with this theory that Amorim is a yes man.
Hilariously it's exactly the opposite - Amorim has previous for clashing with the club hierarchy (and was completely correct in doing so; he was pissed Sporting sold key players like Mateus Nunes at the very end of the transfer window with no chance to get replacements)

Alpha 1

• He sheds a single tear at the beginning of every match
  • When the referee gives a decision he likes he locks his lips
  • When his team takes a penalty he turns his back, but unlike Klopp he starts taking a selfie video
  • If he gets into a bit of agro with another manager he points to his penis
  • When his team wins he finds a small child and touches their forehead with his index finger
  • He's been known the research the most popular lager in the geographic area and only drinks that
  • At Sporting he has a full moon projected into the sky as he believes that this brings out special abilities
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I actually think this gives us a chance of getting Xabi Alonso to manage us.

I think part of the Southgate Potter stuff is almost PR to raise the hype when we get a new manager that is at a completely high level.

More than this coming from Sir Ratcliffe - I see this coming because of Omar Berrada.

You don't go snatch some of the best DOF's, the best technical directors, the best youth set up coaches (Southampton lad) & then get an absolutely bang average manager.

Maybe its delusional - but I can see Omar Berrada trying to convince Xabi Alonso to start this 'new exciting project' or even Zidane who has said he has no interest in the PL.

The fact that neither has any association with United does give us less of a chance - but people shouldn't underestimate the power of a new exciting project either with all these new wonderful workers.

I'm saying we are going for Xabi Alonso, Zidane or Nagelsmann in that order with Simeone & Motta being under dogs.

With Klopp gone next year - it gives an open space for title contending because the 1st/2nd best manager in England and arguably the world is leaving this league.

I also believe this is Pep's last season (don't know about his contract) because he is giving players like Doku & Foden, Bobb more of a chance than he did before almost like he is ready to leave having created a new generation for Man City to take on and do well without him having won all competitions for them last year.

It's again very delusional - but if we do get a top level manager in, i believe we will be title contenders next year without a squad to actually win it especially if someone like Arsenal win it this season. Easy top 4 in my opinion.
We ain't getting Alonso 100% for sure. I'd give an interim a season if we don't find someone in the summer.

padzilla

Hipster
If anything, while Liverpool under Klopp didn't come close to matching Fergie's success at United, we should be a cautionary tale for them when appointing a new manager and just expecting things to run as smoothly immediately.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
feck all chance we poached City's head honcho just to appoint Southgate.
this was the same as i was thinking. I don't see Barrada going down this path, could anyone really imagine a world where see City hire Southgate ? The only slight worry is that Ashworth has links to Southgate but hopefully Barrada will shoot down any notion of this nonsense.

On Amorim, i like him but i would imagine Barcelona would be a better fit than Liverpool, following Klopp could be a poison chalice. I would be magnanimous enough to stand aside and let Southgate go to Liverpool :).

AndrewMac

Agh hate this. Sporting hadn’t cracked Benfica and Porto in the league for about 20 years until this bloke came along. And they’re hopefully en route to a second.

I think he’s the best appointment they could make.
Nonsense of the highest order. Sporting are always there and there abouts in a 3 team league. He isn't exactly running away with the league either.

They probably want a yes man. Someone who will take what transfers are given to him and not have the clout to make a stink about wanting a worldclass player. Klopp has so much power, that if he demanded a player and made a noise the fans would be behind him.

Handling the ego of big players is the difference though. Will he earn players respects? Already there's some ageing players who have been there for a while.

Phil

Nonsense of the highest order. Sporting are always there and there abouts in a 3 team league. He isn't exactly running away with the league either.

They probably want a yes man. Someone who will take what transfers are given to him and not have the clout to make a stink about wanting a worldclass player. Klopp has so much power, that if he demanded a player and made a noise the fans would be behind him.

Handling the ego of big players is the difference though. Will he earn players respects? Already there's some ageing players who have been there for a while.
Ok Andrew, but what I’m saying is that they hadn’t won the league in about 20 years.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And after a year of that Klopp told them sorry guys, forgot i'm crap at picking players let's hire this guy for that instead!

RedRocket9908

Ok Andrew, but what I’m saying is that they hadn’t won the league in about 20 years.
Im not sure that really means anything, when Ole joined Molde they had never in their history won the Norweigen Premier League and he won it in his first 2 seasons.

Also Ajax hadnt won the Eridivisie for years before Erik arrived and won it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

You have no idea what you're talking about, good grief

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If anything, while Liverpool under Klopp didn't come close to matching Fergie's success at United, we should be a cautionary tale for them when appointing a new manager and just expecting things to run as smoothly immediately.
It won’t. Klopp was special and even then spent big without the reward he would’ve hoped. Some shocking season’s in there too. Their ownership situation is no better than ours, they just got the right manager to win the big things. Only took them 2 and a half decades.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thought he was nailed on to be the next Liverpool manager after Alonso rejected them. Who are they actually going for then? De Zerbi?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Saw something that Liverpool players want Ljinders, maybe that's why Amorim is unlikely?

On topic, it'd be poor from us if this option isn't at least explored.

izec

Who are Liverpool getting then? Tuchel?
Tuchel or De Zerbi. Both not good enough mid to long term, although Tuchel could win a trophy or two.

Kind of weird, as there are not that many great options on the market. What happened to Flick? Surprised no one is in for him. Heard earlier some whsipers about Barca, but since then nothing

croadyman

Saw something that Liverpool players want Ljinders, maybe that's why Amorim is unlikely?

On topic, it'd be poor from us if this option isn't at least explored.
Yeah thought he was off table but clearly not

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What happened to Flick? Surprised no one is in for him. Heard earlier some whsipers about Barca, but since then nothing
I think the world cup exit with Germany tanked his reputation. Especially as the world could watch on Amazon Prime how terrible he managed that.

Rojofiam

Surprised Liverpool "looks unlikely" for him.

Would probably be a great move for both West Ham and him, to be honest.

croadyman

Wish scousers would take fecking Potter but unfortunately they have more sense than that

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.

Perhaps he thinks they are a bunch of whining scouse cnuts? The thought of them all dribbling over him and giving him cult status might be very unappealing - it certainly would be for me ;)

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
I'm not seeing Amorim leaving Sporting for West Ham, he is too good for them. (sorry WH fans).

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I really don't want De Zerbi. Has disaster written all over him.