The Rise Of Ruben Amorim

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
After today’s win Ruben Amorim has another record to his name.

Fastest coach to 50 wins in the Portuguese league breaking the record previously held by Jose Mourinho.

- Amorim 50 wins in 66 games
- Jose Mourinho 50 wins in 73 games.

Hopefully he makes it 51on Friday.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
After today’s win Ruben Amorim has another record to his name.

Fastest coach to 50 wins in the Portuguese league breaking the record previously held by Jose Mourinho.

- Amorim 50 wins in 66 games
- Jose Mourinho 50 wins in 73 games.

Hopefully he makes it 51on Friday.
Both manager who somehow modernized the game at their times. Amorim brings this modern leadership where players treat him by Ruben and not by boss or mister. He's very close to all players. Phisically Sporting seems top of the crop and in terms of consistency things are running smooth.

His leadership is something revolutionary for the portuguese culture where tough leaders are usually admired.

If it weren't the refs Porto would had lost 2 points today.

Last edited:

mav_9me

Both manager who are somewhat modernizing the game. Amorim brings this modern leadership where players treat him by Ruben and not by boss or mister. He's very close to all players. Phisically Sporting seems top of the crop and in terms of consistency things are running smooth.

His leadership is something revolutionary for the portuguese culture where tough leaders are usually admired.

Both who? Ruben and ?

SportingCP96

Supports
Both manager who are somewhat modernizing the game. Amorim brings this modern leadership where players treat him by Ruben and not by boss or mister. He's very close to all players. Phisically Sporting seems top of the crop and in terms of consistency things are running smooth.

This title race is going to be decided by the derby’s I think this year as I don’t see the big 3 dropping many points against the smaller teams. All three seem pretty consistent.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Both who? Ruben and ?
Sorry. It's harder to review a post when written on the smartphone (smaller screen and all). I was referring to Muring, so clearly the present tense is not well deployed here. Going to correct it

SportingCP96

Supports
Interesting that they describe him as a conservative coach and from what I understood more of a defensive minded coach. Would you agree?
100%

I mentioned above how his teams are very compact and very efficient. We have won many games this season by 1-0 or 2-1 and last season was the same when the title race got close.

This season we have the best defense in the league with 4 goals conceded in 12 games (19 scores). Additionally Sporting have not conceded a goal in their last 4 league games. 1-0, 1-0, 2-0, 2-0.

SportingCP96

Supports
Further records after yesterday’s win.

- 11th straight victory in all competitions (only the 4th time in club history) which has not happened in 52 years. Last time was in 1969/70

- Third highest win streak in club history with 11. The second highest win streak is 12 (2 way tie) which could be equaled if Sporting win vs Benfica on Friday. The record stands at 16 straight wins which was achieved in 1946/47 by Robert Kelly.

Sporting next two games are tough tasks away to Benfica and then away to Ajax in the Champions league. If Sporting somehow was to win both of them that would put them at 13 straight wins and Ruben Amorim would have the chance to break a record that has stood since 1946/47 season.

Would be incredible if he did it but based on the next two games it could be a tall ask.

SportingCP96

Supports
Im going to just leave this here because we may be without Palhinha and Coates (2/4 of our most important players) but we are the champions for a fecking reason. Whatever happens...happens.

MileStolar

Well the last man @SportingCP96 bigged up on here actually exceeded our expectations, which were incredibly high too.

Also people who come to us from Sporting tend to do very well for us, so who knows this one just might follow the tradition.

Still it's hard to wash out the flavour of the month E Ten Hag, but Amorim's still quite young so there's plenty of time for that prospect.

I looked his stats on sofa score, it's mind-blowingly incredible!

67 wins 13 draws 10 losses
74% win 14% draw 12% loss

Sporting: 74P 55W 12D 7L 2.39 PPM
Braga : 13P 10W 1D 2L 2.38 PPM
Casa Pia: 4P 3W 0D 1L 2.25 PPM

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Cool. Love a new Star Wars movie at Christmas

Helder-Carvalho

I see alot of comparisons with Mourinho, but comparing the Sporting manager to the Special One at this stage of his career (2002-2004) is like comparing a Fiat Uno with a Bugatti Veyron, Ruben Amorim won a League and a League Cup, Mourinho in his first full season with FCP won a treble (Uefa Cup, League and Cup), in his second year won CL and League, incomparable, with a team of 9/10 portuguese players in the starting 11.

SportingCP96

Supports
Absolute tactical master class from Amorim.

Made Benfica very uncomfortable out the gate bei já very physical and with a very high press playing on there mistakes.

All of this without Joao Palhinha and Sebastian Coates away from home to our biggest rivals.

Pundits and fans had us defeated before they game due to the missing players.

12 wins straight is now the second longest win streak in club history and he is 3 away from tying the record.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Calm down, he has a lot to improve, a heavy defeat against Ajax and everyone will say he is overhyped, he is working well on a environment where he doesn’t have to work with big egos, would be a mistake next season for him to go into a top 5 league. At least for now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Calm down, he has a lot to improve, a heavy defeat against Ajax and everyone will say he is overhyped, he is working well on a environment where he doesn’t have to work with big egos, would be a mistake next season for him to go into a top 5 league. At least for now.
I don’t think anyone thinks he should leave Sporting now. As you said their is still so much to prove and improve.

However he is very clearly one of the most promising young mangers in football.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don’t think anyone thinks he should leave Sporting now. As you said their is still so much to prove and improve.

However he is very clearly one of the most promising young mangers in football.
Time will tell. If anything he should follow the steps of Steven Gerrard who is now at Villa after a sucessfull spell at Rangers. The last thing he needs now is a lot of hype, would be a massive mistake for him to leave the country so soon.

One just needs to look into what happened to AVB after Porto. Even if it must be said he had a much better squad at Porto, didn't had to work with a limited number of options.

Anyway we all know a bad game Tuesday against Ajax and everyone will say he is awfull and all that, by the way I still think or would like him to develop more the offensive organization qualities of his teams, regarding set pieces, offside trap, coordination of the defensive line, transitions he already is good for his age.

SportingCP96

Supports
Time will tell. If anything he should follow the steps of Steven Gerrard who is now at Villa after a sucessfull spell at Rangers. The last thing he needs now is a lot of hype, would be a massive mistake for him to leave the country so soon.

One just needs to look into what happened to AVB after Porto. Even if it must be said he had a much better squad at Porto, didn't had to work with a limited number of options.

Anyway we all know a bad game Tuesday against Ajax and everyone will say he is awfull and all that, by the way I still think or would like him to develop more the offensive organization qualities of his teams, regarding set pieces, offside trap, coordination of the defensive line, transitions he already is good for his age.
The Ajax game does not matter and I don’t think anyone will pay attention too it.

I would rest a large majority of the starters jr not all and substitute youth team players like Essugo, Nazinho, etc.

This game is just too complete calendar.

Amorim has no reason to leave, he can be at Sporting for 4 years and still only be 40 when he leaves that’s how young he is at this level.

He has the opportunity to build something special at the club and leave a mark that will last a long time.

If he was to somehow win the Bicampeonato it would be historic.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The Ajax game does not matter and I don’t think anyone will pay attention too it.

I would rest a large majority of the starters jr not all and substitute youth team players like Essugo, Nazinho, etc.

This game is just too complete calendar.

Amorim has no reason to leave, he can be at Sporting for 4 years and still only be 40 when he leaves that’s how young he is at this level.

He has the opportunity to build something special at the club and leave a mark that will last a long time.

If he was to somehow win the Bicampeonato it would be historic.
I actually feel him and Conceição are probably the 2 best coaches currently we have, unfortunately I don’t like that much the current level of coaches we have abroad.

Hugely disappointed with Fonseca, and Jardim for whatever reason after that title with Monaco his career became irrelevant.

Actually feel if one day Amorim leaves we will need to look into someone from abroad, particularly Germany/Austria, because the current level of young coaches we have beside Amorim is average at best.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The sportinguistas I know we're livid when Varandas decided to pay all that money to Braga to get Amorim.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I actually feel him and Conceição are probably the 2 best coaches currently we have, unfortunately I don’t like that much the current level of coaches we have abroad.

Hugely disappointed with Fonseca, and Jardim for whatever reason after that title with Monaco his career became irrelevant.

Actually feel if one day Amorim leaves we will need to look into someone from abroad, particularly Germany/Austria, because the current level of young coaches we have beside Amorim is average at best.
Not Fonseca biggest fan, but if you looks at Roma transfer (and injuries) history during his stint at Roma, I actually think he did a very positive job.
His last months on Roma cannot count because Mourinho was announced at April, players lost motivation to play for a coach who was already a dead man walking.
Roma previous owners were not splashing cash on transfers, they always kept the accounts balanced.

Mourinho was hired by the new owners and Roma spent 120M € just to realize they were doing bettee under Fonseca.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not Fonseca biggest fan, but if you looks at Roma transfer (and injuries) history during his stint at Roma, I actually think he did a very positive job.
His last months on Roma cannot count because Mourinho was announced at April, players lost motivation to play for a coach who was already a dead man walking.
Roma previous owners were not splashing cash on transfers, they always kept the accounts balanced.

Mourinho was hired by the new owners and Roma spent 120M € just to realize they were doing bettee under Fonseca.
My biggest disappointment with him was related to the fact I expected much more from him, and particularly his last 6 months for Roma were terrible, I even saw his teams trying to man mark all over the pitch in Serie A, and those who know him over the years know he never played like that.

I agree Mourinho is doing even worse, but then for me Mourinho is a ex manager since 2016, his last great job was Real Madrid 2012, after that he became a joke. No surprise he was hired by Tiago Pinto at Roma, a guy who Vieira recruited to Benfica because he as a blogger was a critic of him. Or Tiago Pinto doesn't have a clue about the level of coaching in Serie A, or he simply recruited Mourinho because Mendes told him to do so.

Another recent problem for Fonseca is the fact his assistant Nuno Campos left him to start his carrer at Santa Clara, overall I hope he is using his free time now to study what other top coaches in Europe are currently doing , bring more quality to his technical staff, and stop doing cheap copying of man marking because he isn't Gasperinni.

@Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber So do I.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There are two genuinely great managers in Italy who deserve a shot at a better gig: Juric(Gasperini's disciple) and Mihajlovic. Good for Sporting they got Amorim now, the fracas over Sinisa was an own goal

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
There are two genuinely great managers in Italy who deserve a shot at a better gig: Juric(Gasperini's disciple) and Mihajlovic. Good for Sporting they got Amorim now, the fracas over Sinisa was an own goal
Didn't they end up paying Mihajlovic a few million?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Didn't they end up paying Mihajlovic a few million?
We certainly were forced to pay him yes. And deservedly, stupid Sousa Cintra sacked him.

@giorno Unfortunately Sinisa was hired in one of our worst moments, it was quite regretable he was sacked, I don't doubt he would do a good job there, and he actually does have a decent relation with Conceição from Porto, from their 2 years at Lazio together.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
My biggest disappointment with him was related to the fact I expected much more from him, and particularly his last 6 months for Roma were terrible, I even saw his teams trying to man mark all over the pitch in Serie A, and those who know him over the years know he never played like that.

I agree Mourinho is doing even worse, but then for me Mourinho is a ex manager since 2016, his last great job was Real Madrid 2012, after that he became a joke. No surprise he was hired by Tiago Pinto at Roma, a guy who Vieira recruited to Benfica because he as a blogger was a critic of him. Or Tiago Pinto doesn't have a clue about the level of coaching in Serie A, or he simply recruited Mourinho because Mendes told him to do so.

Another recent problem for Fonseca is the fact his assistant Nuno Campos left him to start his carrer at Santa Clara, overall I hope he is using his free time now to study what other top coaches in Europe are currently doing , bring more quality to his technical staff, and stop doing cheap copying of man marking because he isn't Gasperinni.

@Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber So do I.
Man-marking is still a popular thing in PT. Sometimes if a defender does not have enough awareness to read the game in order to apply zone pressure, managers have to rely on individual instructions to cover the gaps.

I wasn't particularly disappointed because I am aware Fonseca is not a title wining manager, and in the end his job was sabotaged by long term injuries, having owners who didn't invest, and after the change of owners it was clear that he was a dead man walking.

IMHO he did a positive job because people somehow thought Roma squad is better than it is, when they lack quality in several departments. He had to recycle Kasdorp who clearly is a midtable player at best, and had to rely in Ibañez for the main CB because others were injured. Not to mention the lack of agressive levels on their midfield, which was the main reason he switched to a 3 at the back system.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Man-marking is still a popular thing in PT. Sometimes if a defender does not have enough awareness to read the game in order to apply zone pressure, managers have to rely on individual instructions to cover the gaps.

I wasn't particularly disappointed because I am aware Fonseca is not a title wining manager, and in the end his job was sabotaged by long term injuries, having owners who didn't invest, and after the change of owners it was clear that he was a dead man walking.

IMHO he did a positive job because people somehow thought Roma squad is better than it is, when they lack quality in several departments. He had to recycle Kasdorp who clearly is a midtable player at best, and had to rely in Ibañez for the main CB because others were injured. Not to mention the lack of agressive levels on their midfield, which was the main reason he switched to a 3 at the back system.
Not to mention with much more investment Mourinho already has less 8 points at this stage of the season than Fonseca the last one. And players like Villar or Mayoral under Fonseca at least performed at a good level. How Tiago Pinto thought Mourinho would be a good idea for Roma is incredible. But then we know who is behind them we don't feel so surprised with those decisions. Poor Roma fans, they deserved better.

SportingCP96

Supports
Not to mention with much more investment Mourinho already has less 8 points at this stage of the season than Fonseca the last one. And players like Villar or Mayoral under Fonseca at least performed at a good level. How Tiago Pinto thought Mourinho would be a good idea for Roma is incredible. But then we know who is behind them we don't feel so surprised with those decisions. Poor Roma fans, they deserved better.
Mou needs to the come back to Portugal and coach or NT. He's done besides that.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Mou needs to the come back to Portugal and coach or NT. He's done besides that.
No he doesn't need to coach the NT. He actually needs to stay fecking away from it. After 7 years of shitness under Santos the last thing we need is another washed up has been coach.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
No he doesn't need to coach the NT. He actually needs to stay fecking away from it. After 7 years of shitness under Santos the last thing we need is another washed up has been coach.
That would be nightmare inducing. We have a generation that is very strong on the attacking players and less solid on the defensive players. It should be clear the direction the portuguese federation should take when appointing the next technical staff.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That would be nightmare inducing. We have a generation that is very strong on the attacking players and less solid on the defensive players. It should be clear the direction the portuguese federation should take when appointing the next technical staff.
Knowing the President of the Federation who hired Santos because they are friends, I wouldn't be surprised if he would hire Mourinho because they actually think he still is a great coach. It's a joke the Federation has Zé Couceiro as a Technical Director, he was a nobody as a coach, the only thing who qualifies him for that role is the relations he developed over the years with several entities, not what he has done in the pitch.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Refused Leipzig millionaire offer. Quite surprised since they were willing to pay the 30M€ clause and probably give him a wage boost.