The saddest thing about our current situation...

Rooney24

It’s already tarnished. He’s the manager that oversaw a 0-5 against Liverpool. That’s it

Polar

I’m not worried for his status at United. He stepped in when United needed him. He did a descent job until September and stays as long as the club need him or want him to stay.

His heart is at United and I don’t think he cares much about himself and his own manager future I don’t think he wants to be a manager for another club anyway.

Why should he leave if the club doesn’t have any alternative? He does what is best for the club (loyalty) and he off course leave without drama when the club is ready to replace him.

Idxomer

Comparing the two is ridiculous.
Maradona is one of the best player ever and won by himself two world cups to his country.
Ole was a benchwarmer who scored coming from the bench…There was at least 5 players from that team that I consider more as legends then him : Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville, Stam, Schmeichel.
Yep, Maradona is a God to Argentinians, nothing like Ole to Manchester United.

I would add Keane, Irwin, and Cole too as more important players and bigger legends than him from the same team.

Jaxa

I think the longer he stays in this role the worse it gets,

Ole needs to swallow his pride and realize he's so out of his depth, I appreciate it's a bitter pill to swallow but if he loves the club as much as he says he does he surely needs to realize how bad a position it's currently in, the Maguire comment alone seemed to have shocked him but that's just the sad reality of where this team is, his team should I say, he's done well up until recently but the next hurdle is just one too big for the calibre of manager he is, no shame in that it's an extremely tough job but he doesn't have the experience or tactical nous to compete with Klopp, Pep and Tuchel etc.

Don't drag this club down with you and diminish all the good you have done, it's fecking selfish

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I'm not sad about that. I think the saddest thing is that there is no obvious way out of this. The club is a mess. A whole lot of them need to go including Carrick etc. And Fletcher is technical director?! We are supposed to be an elite club, where are his credentials. No, the saddest thing is how we have fallen under Glazer ownership and how deep the hole we are in is.

Ole's status is the least of our worries right now. He has a legacy as a super sub and that's great - wonderful memories. But right now he is dramatically out of his depth. And he knows it. This should be a "mutual consent" kind of departure ASAP.

Maybe he is hanging in for the pay off. And why not I guess, it's the glazers money but he needs gone and I'm not bothered about his legacy, only the future of the club.
Any pay off will be paid by the club not the Glazers. The Glazer havent put in any thing since they took over all monies out have come from the club.

Ole wont hand in his resignation, the people he is surrounded by all blow smoke up his arse. Not one will turn around and say Ole youre out your depth here. He himself believes hes an elite manager, as do his fans and the Glazers. Been absolutely destroyed by Leicester, City and Liverpool yet he’s still here.

tomaldinho1

I'd say he's tarnishing his legacy across all generations, not just one
This is the sad thing. I love Ole the player - his legacy was always more nostalgic and 'happy' (he was pretty universally adored) because he was never a legend in the vein of Giggs, Scholes, Cantona i.e. world class, key players in winning teams - but there's already people pointing out he shouldn't be considered a legend anymore and a lot of personal insults like Smeagol creeping in which are just revolting.

The board's inaction now erode his legacy day by day.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I honestly couldn't care less about his legacy of being our worst manager in my lifetime.

The saddest thing about having him continue is we are wasting Ronaldo's final years.

KeanoMagicHat

I really don't think so. A decent manager who raised spirits and ultimately wasn't good enough. A fine player for the club. Do you think Pirlo tarnished his legacy at Juventus or Lampard at Chelsea? Most people don't care about these things after 5 years. This is in the heat of the moment and it's a moment for objectivity.

Ldn FanBoy

Ole is going to be the reason why clubs in future will think extra carefully when dishing out contracts to a unproven 'club legend'.

'Ole' will be a term in the dictionary.... "Dont do an ole mate"...

That's the sad truth. Applauded by opposition fans.

hobbers

He's paid very handsomely to be the Glazer stooge, I dont feel much pity.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Comparing the two is ridiculous.
Maradona is one of the best player ever and won by himself two world cups to his country.
Ole was a benchwarmer who scored coming from the bench…There was at least 5 players from that team that I consider more as legends then him : Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville, Stam, Schmeichel.
?

Ole has the iconic moment in our history which apart from maybe Best no one else has. Of course in the treble winning team alone there were enough better footballers than Ole. But that is not relevant here at all.
If Ole had scored a hattrick in a 3-0 final win against Bayern it might not even be as iconic.
But the exact way it happened - trailing the game from the 6th minute, after incredible comebacks throughout the season, the final comeback with the winning goal in the last seconds of a CL final to seal the treble - makes it iconic. “Unfair” to other players? Maybe. But no one of his former teammates has complained.

Hardly anyone talks about Becks and Cole scoring in our last 99 league game to seal the first part of the treble or even Giggs’ legendary FA cup goal against Arsenal in the same season (not many people outside UK even know about it).
When talking about United and CL hardly anyone says “Oh yes, Ronaldo scored in the 2008 final, or Giggs scored the last pen or VDS saved the last pen”. Even Terry’s slip is not mentioned that much.
But everyone who knows anything about football (including rival and neutral fans) remembers exactly that Ole scored THAT goal. And United fans know exactly where they were, how they felt and how important that goal was.
Yes, Ole was not as good or as talented as Becks, Keane, Giggs, Scholes, RvP, Rooney, etc., but he has that moment which will always be unique and iconic and which the others don’t have. A little lucky for him? Maybe. Unique, iconic and the most famous / remembered / celebrated moment in our history? Absolutely.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Was he THAT bad the past 2 seasons?

I understand that reflection is not something you do when youre angry, but really, nothing good happened the last 2 seasons prior to this one?

Idxomer

I really don't think so. A decent manager who raised spirits and ultimately wasn't good enough. A fine player for the club. Do you think Pirlo tarnished his legacy at Juventus or Lampard at Chelsea? Most people don't care about these things after 5 years. This is in the heat of the moment and it's a moment for objectivity.
Lampard stayed for 18 months, got top 4 without spending any money, and promoted a bunch of youngsters who helped the team win the CL a few months later after his sacking. Pirlo isn't a Juve legend and only stayed for one season anyway when the club had no money.

AlexMG

People usually remember the most recent event. That's why legend is legend, but in my mind he will always be a bad coach.

AndySmith1990

I would say the saddest thing about the current situation is that it's completely avoidable.

I don't care about any affect to Solskjaer's legacy; the guy is in a privileged position and is set for life, he's one of the lucky ones in life and doesn't need our sympathy or our pity.

I care about the plight of the club. Right now we're taking a nose dive and those that run the club are doing nothing to rectify it. They'll only bother to fix it once we've crashed and burned, because they're dithering idiots.

With a competent board we could be up there with the best in Europe. We have the fanbase and the resources to match any team on the field. But instead we allow mistake after mistake to be made, and even when the mistakes are so glaringly obvious the entire fanbase are shouting it at the club on every conceivable media channel, they still choose to ignore the mistakes and carry on. Sad, sad, sad.

Ixion

I think its impossible to diminish Solksjaer in the eyes of United fans. You could build statue outside the ground of him sliding on his knees after scoring that goal and most fans would be happy with it. He was hired as a manager with a CV that wasn't really up to the job and that's on the owners not Ole, I think most fans could see it was a hopeful appointment rather than a logical one.

GlasgowCeltic

The 5-0 is historic, outside the club its all his reign will be remembered for. To be fair it's probably the only memorable positive or negative result across his permanent reign as a whole.

Obviously should be a different story within the club and fanbase though once the dust has settled.

beer&grill

For me it’s already tarnished, I’m not old enough to have witnessed Ole the player very much so it’s hard for me to have a soft spot for him. Unfortunately I will always remember him as the face of the Nepotism FC. I’m also disappointed at Rio and I’ve been a huge admirer while growing up.

However, I can understand why for the majority of the fanbase he will still be a legend. Had it been Rooney instead of Ole, I would’ve probably still remember him for the playing days.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think he would’ve left an even bigger legend had the club thanked him and sent him on his way after last season.

I feel he did some good the first 18 months. Now it is beyond obvious he doesn’t know how to manage at this level.

Giggsy13

Most knowledgeable supporters know that the underlying problem has and will always remain the glazers. They knew hiring a former legend would cause divisions amongst the supporters once shite hit the fan, like it has done this season. Instead of throwing pelters at Ole, the supporters should be taking out their anger and frustration out on the glazers and the board for their ongoing ineptitude. Ole is finished but despite our frustration with him as a manager, he will always remain absolutely adored as a player. The glazers will always be parasites and it’s time for supporters to direct their anger at the source of the problem.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Is that Ole is going to be remembered by a generation of fans, maybe more, as the poster boy for ineptitude when he should be remembered as an absolute legend of a player for the club.
I spoke about this with a Liverpool supporting mate and he said that's how Graeme Souness is seen by most fans. If Ole was to leave in the coming weeks is his legacy ruined?
Apologies for starting another thread, I just thought it might be worth a separate discussion about at which point do club legends run out of currency in terms of good will with supporters.
In fairness, the reason Sourness is despised by a lot of their fans has nothing to do with his spell managing them!

Redfrog

Yep, Maradona is a God to Argentinians, nothing like Ole to Manchester United.

I would add Keane, Irwin, and Cole too as more important players and bigger legends than him from the same team.
Yes, that’s why I said at least. Don’t know how I forgot about Keane !!!

KeanoMagicHat

Lampard stayed for 18 months, got top 4 without spending any money, and promoted a bunch of youngsters who helped the team win the CL a few months later after his sacking. Pirlo isn't a Juve legend and only stayed for one season anyway when the club had no money.
Lampard wasn't sacked until January after Chelsea spent £210m and were heading for mid-table. But the idea of it ruining his player legacy would be rightly nonsense and he was worse than Ole.

Longshanks

His never say die attitude clearly hasn't left him no doubt about that. He still believes he can turn it round, can find the right formula.

Maybe he is deluded, maybe he can turn it round unlikely as that may seem right now, I can't see into the future but he is definitely lucky to still have a job after results and performances this season, looks like he isnt being sacked I reckon mainly because there really isn't a great option to replace him.

You can questions his managerial skills and coaching ability but he isn't a compete tool unlike souness who is. I don't think his legacy will be overly affected maybe slightly tarnished if he doesn't get us out of our current mailase but he will still be remembered well for his playing days.

At the end of the day would any of us actually give up the chance of managing United? To be a manager of a big club you have to have massive self belief and inner steel Ole definitely has that, always has. Is he good enough probably not, but he still believes he is and I would question his character if he suddenly decided to resign because it gets to much for him. Its up the board to sack him, not up to him to resign.

steffyr2

The saddest thing about our current situation is the fact that there are no massive organised demonstrations to get the Glazers out. You can't have a club run by cash monkeys whose expectations are just to finish top 4 and then seriously wonder why all we do is finish top 4 and are not winning stuff.
On Redissue, the anti-Semitism is glaringly obvious. That's what I see here, when I see this insistence to refer to the Glazers as subhuman. I'm flagging this.

Skills

Snitch
Usually I'd agree but when I read all the vitriol towards Solskjaer on here the last few months. I'm honestly not so sure anymore.
But remember that vitriol is towards the manager Ole nor the player. You just need to distinguish that when you're reading it

tomaldinho1

Didn’t Pirlo win a cup? He’s also more of an AC legend so not sure he’s relevant here. Lampard had the transfer ban and is also a much bigger name for Chelsea in terms of being right up there on the legends list. It would be like Keane or Robson for us. Lampard was also sacked as soon as they lost faith so his time is viewed favourably, basically helped them through a tough patch, brought through some youngsters and they played entertaining but increasingly leaky football. Ole is well past that point.

Ole is a legend but not because he was the best, it’s more for his loyalty combined with 99. It’s a shame people are revising his legacy but it will continue until he leaves.

Ixion

I used to wear this T-Shirt to all the time :wenger:

His legend as a player defies convention, it's not about talent or stats. I want him to leave but he will always be a United legend.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
On the bright side, Ole will always be remembered as the person who was able to persuade United, Liverpool and City fans to chant his song. At this point he's bigger then Manchester United.

pacifictheme

I don't think the Souness comparison holds up to be honest. Because while he was a brilliant footballer (much better than Ole was for example) in a quite brilliant team, he hasn't got his name all over the greatest moment in his clubs history. Nobody will ever take that away from Ole, it is impossible to talk about the greatest single moment in our history without mentioning him.
Is that the greatest moment? I dunno, I think the 68 final ranks higher personally, seeing what had happened to the club 10 years earlier.

Either eay, ole is 100% tarnishing his legacy. Ultimately people will remember both the player and the manager and if things don't improve and he gets sacked that will form as big a part for the majority of fans as his time as a player. And it should.

Edit: should probably qualify this. I think short term it will hurt his legacy but long term less so. But it will effect the way many fans think of him, even if its just a small amount.

Last edited:

Esquire

I’m not worried for his status at United. He stepped in when United needed him. He did a descent job until September and stays as long as the club need him or want him to stay.

His heart is at United and I don’t think he cares much about himself and his own manager future I don’t think he wants to be a manager for another club anyway.

Why should he leave if the club doesn’t have any alternative? He does what is best for the club (loyalty) and he off course leave without drama when the club is ready to replace him.
He knows himself he is on borrowed time. Actually stolen time. I don’t hate him. You can’t hate someone for trying his best, loving United but is ultimately too under qualified for the job. The blame really goes to the board. They should have amputated this stinking festering stump of a situation even before the 5-0 drubbing by Liverpool.

Judging from the city game, it’s clear he has lost a large part of the team or that he can’t get the best out of them. That said, I am sure players like Fred, McT, Harry and Rashford still like him because they are his favourites. So he is not a complete lame duck.

KeanoMagicHat

Didn’t Pirlo win a cup? He’s also more of an AC legend so not sure he’s relevant here. Lampard had the transfer ban and is also a much bigger name for Chelsea in terms of being right up there on the legends list. It would be like Keane or Robson for us. Lampard was also sacked as soon as they lost faith so his time is viewed favourably, basically helped them through a tough patch, brought through some youngsters and they played entertaining but increasingly leaky football. Ole is well past that point.

Ole is a legend but not because he was the best, it’s more for his loyalty combined with 99. It’s a shame people are revising his legacy but it will continue until he leaves.
But isn't that not really Ole's fault if they don't sack him? I think Ole has kept his integrity and didn't slag off the club's football heritage or make it all about him like when Mourinho was sacked.

Ole has only hit the point recently. We finished 2nd in the league last year. It's only in a few months it has gone from "hmm not sure" for a lot of people to "get him out". That's what I've heard from all my United supporting friends anyway and that's how I've felt. I thought maybe we could better long-term but that Ole was fine until maybe around the Aston Villa game, since then it's been pure freefall. I don't remember much "Get Ole out!" when Ronaldo scored 2 goals on his debut against Newcastle. It may seem like a long time, but that was only two months ago

Esquire

I used to wear this T-Shirt to all the time :wenger:

His legend as a player defies convention, it's not about talent or stats. I want him to leave but he will always be a United legend.
I agree with you. He’s a legend to me always.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
as far as i’m concerned ‘99 was now only a double.

Skills

Snitch
On the bright side, Ole will always be remembered as the person who was able to persuade United, Liverpool and City fans to chant his song. At this point he's bigger then Manchester United.
:lol:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He could always resign, I won't blame him for not being good enough. I blame him for not having the big heart and enough love for the club to resign and forgone his severance pay.

Sure, I wouldn't blame him. I would in his shoes stick around for my payday. But doing that he sold his legend status and he lost his "I love the club" status, cause he doesn't. He loves his Millions more.