The saddest thing about our current situation...

AnotherLondonManc

Not for me. Ole the manager and Ole the player are completely different entities. His failure as a manager won't take away from his achievements as a player.

When the dust settles on the end of Ole's tenure he'll still be that legendary player. And let's face it, us fans haven't been happy with the football for a while, and the post SAF era won't be defined by this season.

If we get the next managerial appointment right, Ole could even go down as the man that set us up for success. He didn't have the tactical knowhow, but he built the squad that went on to win the treble in 2024!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I was old enough for the toe poke so he'll never tarnish his legacy. He never really had a legacy as a manager.
Thanks for posting this. Read the other posts - finally one I agree with.

Tincanalley

Most knowledgeable supporters know that the underlying problem has and will always remain the glazers. They knew hiring a former legend would cause divisions amongst the supporters once shite hit the fan, like it has done this season. Instead of throwing pelters at Ole, the supporters should be taking out their anger and frustration out on the glazers and the board for their ongoing ineptitude. Ole is finished but despite our frustration with him as a manager, he will always remain absolutely adored as a player. The glazers will always be parasites and it’s time for supporters to direct their anger at the source of the problem.
@Giggsy13 - this needs saying. It needs to be at the top line of the Caf. Glazers out. They are like an episode of Succession, with the Theatre of Dreams as an ironic punchline.

The Irish Connection

Most knowledgeable supporters know that the underlying problem has and will always remain the glazers. They knew hiring a former legend would cause divisions amongst the supporters once shite hit the fan, like it has done this season. Instead of throwing pelters at Ole, the supporters should be taking out their anger and frustration out on the glazers and the board for their ongoing ineptitude. Ole is finished but despite our frustration with him as a manager, he will always remain absolutely adored as a player. The glazers will always be parasites and it’s time for supporters to direct their anger at the source of the problem.
1000%

Tincanalley

When Roy took Sunderland from the bottom of the Championship to the Premier League I genuinely thought he'd be the manager that would take us on from Ferguson. I thought the appointment of Ole as interim was a chronic appointment, a couple of months later I thought it was genius. It's impossible to know.
My biggest fear it that my auld fella (77) wont see United win the league again. He's the biggest United fan I know, he loves them. I remember listening to matches on 5 live in the 90's with him. I remember going to the local pub to watch the '91 ECWC run (didnt have it on TV at home). I remember him putting the car lights on the garden so we could re-create Sparky's goal from the angle. His heart is giving up (medically), Mum wont let him watch games anymore.... I'd love another title for him......
Great post.

Varun1

By not resigning when there are clear issues which he can't address, is tarnishing his legacy.
Maybe to a lesser extent, the way he is treating VDB. We've seen similar with Ighalo, and am pretty sure Cavani would have got the same treatment except that Ron as the lone striker wasn't always working.

But the saddest thing for me is that we have one of the strongest squad in so many years and probably in the EPL and so many amazing youth players, but it will all be wasted under Ole.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think what the op is trying to ask is; do legend walk alone?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It’s not just Liverpool fans that Souness has ruined his reputation with. It’s also ruined with Galatasaray fans.

Oranges038

I've supported him all along and I still think overall he's done a good job for the most part. The wheels have really started to come off lately, he's floundering badly and he doesn't look like he can fix things at all.

I think if he had the decency to walk after the Liverpool game he might have saved himself a lot respect. But in recent weeks his choice of formations and style of play all just smacks of self preservation when all along his talk was about what's best for the club. That hypocrisy is what will tarnish his legacy most for me.

Smores

Tarnished a little but not a lot. We've got plenty of ex players who via their actions or personality have tarnished their profile it doesn't really make them less legends.

He's a history book player irrespective although i do find his legendary status seems to have expanded since becoming manager.

Daengophile

I wonder if his trip back home to Norway involves talking things through with his family...

He's not going there for the food!

weizxx

The saddest thing about our current situation is the fact that the situation will not end in the coming years. The Glazers don't know much about football. They don't know how to choose a good manager. They never learn. What if the next 3 years for Brendan Rodgers? I don't think he will turn this shit situation over.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Do you think Argentine people changed their views on Maradona after he crashed their national team as a manager?

It's pretty easy to distinguish for most.
There are extreme WUMs and then there are posts such as this.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
@OP You really think of all the sad things at our club right now the saddest is how an ex player will be viewed years from now?

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
It won't tarnish his legacy IMO - When he does go I can guarantee you that fans will be very vocal in their support for him / Will still get his name sung at away games and will always be a legend of the club. This last season hasn't worked out how we wanted but whoever does takeover is picking us up in a MUCH better state than when Ole took over.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I honestly couldn't care less about his legacy of being our worst manager in my lifetime.

The saddest thing about having him continue is we are wasting Ronaldo's final years.
:lol: at least you have your priorities sorted

Tarrou

I don't think it will make much difference to me

Still one of the best nights of my life, and always will be

Ole did his best as manager, he just wasn't good enough - I'm sure I can look past in quite quickly

Cloud7

How is it? Even if you prefer the 68 win, it didn't have a "single moment" like the 99 win. 68 may well be our greatest moment as a club in a lot of peoples eyes, I tried to put context of "single moment" as in the literal second of winning the European Cup final in the 93rd minute but if people want to try and be pedantic that's fine.
In terms of singular moments VDS saving Terry’s penalty is up there with Ole’s winner in my opinion. Perhaps not quite as unexpected due to a goal from a corner versus a penalty save, but it’s definitely as iconic a singular moment.

I would wager a lot of the younger fanbase treasure that moment more than Ole’s winner, since they probably got to see that one live versus watching Ole’s as a highlight years later.

Someone

Something
It has done a lot of damage to his status at the club, no doubt about it, maybe not for the older fans who've lived through his time with the club, but the younger generation will remember this more than anything else.

JB7

In terms of singular moments VDS saving Terry’s penalty is up there with Ole’s winner in my opinion. Perhaps not quite as unexpected due to a goal from a corner versus a penalty save, but it’s definitely as iconic a singular moment.

I would wager a lot of the younger fanbase treasure that moment more than Ole’s winner, since they probably got to see that one live versus watching Ole’s as a highlight years later.
Maybe, but in reality one won us the cup and one kept us in it. But I can see why you'd look it at like that - and it was brilliant.

Kcocymkcus

Who cares. Two separate things. This is just making a drama out of nothing. You could say it about numerous people, in numerous walks of life.

Frank Lampard..legend of a player...to some useless manager.
John Terry ..legend of player...mediocre assistant manager to others.
Diego Maradona...legend of a player...absolute coke-head to others
Rolf Harris...absolute legend of an artist and didgeridoo....kiddie fiddler to others .

And so forth...no one cares, it is what it is to each generation and the next generation doesn't care what went before them. So don't worry yourself.

Frank White

Terry slipped and hit the post.

nodlocnost2

On Redissue, the anti-Semitism is glaringly obvious. That's what I see here, when I see this insistence to refer to the Glazers as subhuman. I'm flagging this.
I'm not anti semitic but your post is virtue signalling idiocy of the highest order

nodlocnost2

Good. Why do you refer to human beings as animals?
Humans are animals we are mammals. You are attempting to read into something that is not there. Maybe you are not like this in real life and are actually a bit of a pussy cat idk.