g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Saudi Takeover Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyJ1985

Thing is, if a billionaire Suadi family did buy us it wouldn't be to make money, it'd be to make us the best team in world football. There would be no more tolerating mediocrity and treading waster like we currently are

AndyJ1985

We are already one of the richest clubs in the world, we have one of the most decorated managers of the last 20 years, we are spending tons of money on transfers and wages already.

Lack of money and power is just not the reason why our team is underperforming.
You're right. It's lack of ambition. As long as our revenue keeps increasing that's all our owners and CEO care about.

Mcking

You're right. It's lack of ambition. As long as our revenue keeps increasing that's all our owners and CEO care about.
Yes, and that is why I would like a takeover. Our potential buyers are far from ideal though. Would be much better if it was Qatar or UAE.

stevoc

I don't own anything with a combustion engine, I occasionally borrow my parent's car if they're on holiday. I do use busses, the metro and trains when I'm in Denmark (although I prefer my bike). The bus is probably running on some kind of combustion engine, the metro and trains are electric I believe.

I guess your point is something along the lines of "you're supporting these regimes anyway". And I mean, probably, yes. We all need to get around somehow and at this point in time the politicians aren't really helping us much with regards to getting rid of oil. We don't all have to support a football club who's just a PR campaign for a terrible regime. And Denmark exported oil up until last year, so I'm guessing my impact is rather negligible in terms of supporting the Saudis.
I consistently vote for the politician with most concern for the environment. At what point is it OK for me to be critical? Is that reserved for people living alone on a remote island?

Why would I be critical of City's ownership, and Chelsea's for that matter, and then forget about all that if it comes to the club I support?
I think thats the argument some of these guys are trying to make, all this stuff about buying fuel, phones etc and the other stupid argument that the Glazers are American so they bombed Japan or similar bullshit. It's all nothing more than guys trying to justify not giving a feck. Because not all but a lot of them are Gloryhunters who just want shiny new toys every summer. And they want trophies because thats primarily what they support and what most likely drew them to supporting United in the first place. A Saudi takeover would allow them to avoid the uncomfortable 1-2 year changeover when they switch to supporting another club.

TsuWave

There's a huge gap between giddy and embarrassment. Not sure how you made that giant leap.

Wanting your club to stoop to this level of accepting any condition just to be successful can't be described as anything but glory supporting. The fact you want it in part because you're embarrassed adds to that.

It's okay to be one we have plenty of them on here, people didn't start supporting us because we were shit now did they. I just hope such views aren't factored in if it means selling our souls.
The same way you trampoline’d your way into top red line of argument.

“selling our soul”/“stoop to this level” is melodramatic and hypocritical stuff I don’t subscribe to. Majority of the stuff you consume or use on a day to day basis can be traced down to some kind of feckery.

Of course I want United winning, ideally battering clubs every other day, and of course I’m embarrassed with the state we are in.

The game is the game.

Siorac

The same way you trampoline’d your way into top red line of argument.

“selling our soul”/“stoop to this level” is melodramatic and hypocritical stuff I don’t subscribe to. Majority of the stuff you consume or use on a day to day basis can be traced down to some kind of feckery.

Of course I want United winning, ideally battering clubs every other day, and of course I’m embarrassed with the state we are in.

The game is the game.
The company that profits from me purchasing an item that I need to take part in society underpay employees in the third world vs. the family who owns the club personally orders murders and executions. It's not exactly the same "kind of feckery", is it?

wolvored

Because United don't need them, they just need sufficient access to their own resource and people who know how to run a club properly.
It won't happen,if ever, unless we are sold as the Glazers are here until someone richer offers them a fortune. Only people who can afford it are probably The oil sheiks

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rumours and gossip. Nothing substantial, right? Just people claiming they’ll stop supporting the club.

TsuWave

The company that profits from me purchasing an item that I need to take part in society underpay employees in the third world vs. the family who owns the club personally orders murders and executions. It's not exactly the same "kind of feckery", is it?
who would have thought that humans are complex beings that struggle morally and often will justify exploitation and indentured slave labour that leads to suicide rates so high safety nets are installed at workplaces, but then will draw the line somewhere else?!

to be fair, i didn't know these dudes are out here offing people like that. I assumed they were no more shady than the other owners the premier league already approved of.

Deleted member 101472

The club can feck off if it’s owned by saudis. Part of the Beauty of supporting this team is that their standing in the sporting world was earned the right way.

JonDahl

I mean, I’m a foreigner as well mate :lol: I think this has less to do with where you’re from, and more to do with your outlook on life. If watching Messi in a United jersey matters more to you than thinking, you know this was funded by the same family who ordered an innocent man to be tortured and murdered, and then planned to execute the people that they made murder the guy, then more power to you, but I can never live my life like that.
Reading back, I wasn’t very clear. I meant those that want this to happen are mainly foreigners - but I didn’t mean all foreigners want this to happen. Of course we have a load of followers overseas that don’t, they aren’t the problem.

But yeah, you’re right. It is probably more to do with your outlook on life. It’s just that to me, those who are happy for this happen are less likely to care about the impact and image of the club, because they’ve only watched United on bein sports or spend more time in the transfer forum and twitter than anything else United. They don’t really care about Manchester United. Again, not all foreigners, because many don’t want this to happen.

JonDahl

So anyone that think this is a good opportunity for the club to compete is a glory hunter, OOT, foreigner and FM generation? C'mon, I know this is not the best way nor a good way, but you are going ott.
I see why you’re saying but why would a true fan of Manchester United want the club to directly associate itself with such an utterly detestable regime?

We already compete. We won a couple of trophies a couple of seasons ago. We spend more than virtually every club in existence with the exception of the oil clubs.

We compete already but we’ve lost our way. It’s not easy, but we can get back to where we were - with shrewd business practices, good long term planning, a bit of luck and a proper coach.

We don’t need to be controlled by morally bankrupt kings in order to do this and I’m flabbergasted at the people who think we have to. These are the people that want instant success. They want a new signing every window. They have no patience. Glory hunters.

Siorac

who would have thought that humans are complex beings that struggle morally and often will justify exploitation and indentured slave labour that leads to suicide rates so high safety nets are installed at workplaces, but then will draw the line somewhere else?!

to be fair, i didn't know these dudes are out here offing people like that. I assumed they were no more shady than the other owners the Premier League already approved of.
I'm not justifying exploitation. I'm saying that for me, personally, to eschew anything that involves some form of exploitation or rights abuse is simply impossible and cannot be demanded of the individual. Would I be willing to pay a higher price for consumer items if it meant other people could live in more humane conditions? Yes, I would. I have no control over that though, unfortunately.

But I do have control over whether I want to take part in a brutal regime using my favourite club as some sort of PR/image laundering campaign.

And finally, I do think that some forms of abuse are worse than others. Exploiting workers is bad. Public executions are worse. Neither is acceptable but they are still not the same.

Patrick08

Thing is, if a billionaire Suadi family did buy us it wouldn't be to make money, it'd be to make us the best team in world football. There would be no more tolerating mediocrity and treading waster like we currently are
It doesn't make any sense.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Anything to get rid of Glazers and Woodward.

We make our own money, we have a rich history - we are already a huge club.

Being bought by an owner that actually puts IN to the club is what we SHOULD have.

C3Pique

City havent spend much more than us on transfers, and actually spend less on wages than we do. The reason they're performing better than us is down to footballing decisions, not financial ones. Being (ab)used by a vile and regressive regime that will use Manchester United's good name to try and rehabilitate their own terrible repuitation would be bad enough if it were neccesary. Given that its not, going out of one's way to desire it is, frankly, repellant.
Officially. I think the days of believing City's public finances are over. Factor in all of the hidden oil money deals and their wages would double ours I bet.

Ban

Such a beautiful story.

Bwuk

Anything to get rid of Glazers and Woodward.

We make our own money, we have a rich history - we are already a huge club.

Being bought by an owner that actually puts IN to the club is what we SHOULD have.
Being owned by the Saudis would be a horrible black mark on our history.

Would rather we continued lining the Glazers pockets than sell our soul to the devil.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
But you've no problem using your smartphone, right? Do you know how many people died in DR Congo for you to be able to tape www.redcafe.net on the browser of your smartphone or on your computer or laptop? Just read this :

http://ilymun.org/the-silent-genocide-in-drc-are-our-mobile-phones-worth-6-million-deaths/

Since 1998 more than 6 million people have died, which is more than the Holocaust. Those stats are from 2016; the massacre still continues in the DRC but the international community keep quiet because real foreign powers are behind the massacres. If it were the Chinese or the Arabs, the whole world would cry scandalous.

I have no problem if these Saudis take control of our club. The world walks like that, those who have money can commit crimes and people will not hold them to account. Americans, French, English, Chinese, Arabs are all guilty of innumerable horrific crimes around the world and the only thing that separate them is the power that one exerts on the others and the control of the media.

Actually the only thing that matter for me is to see United become competitive; we'd be able to take De Bryune or Guardiola from the hands of City, or Mbappe from PSG. With our finances incomes, we'd be a monster of a club, we'll be the Hulk of football.
The problems of the DRC have been going a lot longer than just the last 30 years and to put it all at the issue of mobile phones is pure BS. Also the Chinese are heavily involved in the DRC and have been since the 60's, in fact China has funded a lot of these issues to the point where they are recognised in the country as most favoured nation. Guess the area they are involved in mostly, mining. Regardless 2 wrongs don't make a right, it is something that I don't have a say in as it is with the cars. Support for a club I love becoming the propaganda front of a dictatorial regime is.

Bwuk

Theres more important things in life than Manchester United winning trophies. We cannot support owners like this.

Mcking

So you tolerate Qatar or UAE for the same things they did as Saudi . Cool then
Yes, the Saudis are worse. I don't tolerate any of them, but this is something beyond by control. I can't lose my hair for something I have no say on. The Glazers own the club, so they can sell to anyone, I think. UAE and Qatar over Saudi is more a case of damage limitation for me, rather than actually actively wanting any of them.
I see why you’re saying but why would a true fan of Manchester United want the club to directly associate itself with such an utterly detestable regime?

We already compete. We won a couple of trophies a couple of seasons ago. We spend more than virtually every club in existence with the exception of the oil clubs.

We compete already but we’ve lost our way. It’s not easy, but we can get back to where we were - with shrewd business practices, good long term planning, a bit of luck and a proper coach.

We don’t need to be controlled by morally bankrupt kings in order to do this and I’m flabbergasted at the people who think we have to. These are the people that want instant success. They want a new signing every window. They have no patience. Glory hunters.
I think it is more naivety than anything. Like you said, the Glazers do spend on transfers, contrary to what people say and try to believe. The thing is, they come across as unambitious and looks like they don't care much about the performances of the team on the pitch unlike the Arabs with City, with PSG. Those things you mentioned does not look like things we'd get from the Glazers.
We just don't look like a football club, no structure, system. If there's even any remote chance of us looking like a football club again in no time under the Glazers, even if it makes us the 3rd or 4th best team in the league, then I'd take it with both hands over tonnes of trophies with the Arabs.

JonDahl

Theres more important things in life than Manchester United winning trophies.
I don’t know mate. What can better than Man Utd signing Neymar, giving him £600k a week and watching him on your BT Sport subscription?

RedRover

I'll get a lot of stick for this comment, but if this were Liverpool, I'd be jumping for joy, despite having good owners already.

It's oil money, it's tainted, it comes at the cost of lives, etc... Well, so does pretty much every luxury item you own. Your clothes are made in sweatshops, your electronics are manufactured in a place where suicide nets are put up in place of improvements to basic living standards... Why the selective conscience on this? Or is it just the idea of having to listen to City fans lambast you for what you've given them stick over for the past decade?

You're already owned by foreigners anyway, so it's not like you're losing much there in terms of sticking to the core of who you are. I'd take the better football over any sort of moral high ground, as I already gave up that high ground with the stuff I own anyway.
Correct. I personally think some fans dress up their outrage at City and PSG with a moral justification when in fact, they don't like it that United have competition in spending mega-bucks on players. Football is big-business and it has no morals. Best just seeing it for what it is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The club can feck off if it’s owned by saudis. Part of the Beauty of supporting this team is that their standing in the sporting world was earned the right way.
It would still be earned, United are one of the biggest if not the biggest club in the world. The problem comes with the moral and ethical association with being tied to Saudi Arabia.

RedRover

You say that now when you can only dream of the success it brings but state sponsored wins will ring hollow soon enough and the wider issues will be brought into focus.
Of course I want to win the EPL but that nagging voice as we stick 6 past a proper club like Bournemouth will become defeating as time goes on.
When exactly would that be? Isn't happening for City or PSG so far as I can see. Fans love success and forgive all. They never get sick of winning.

red thru&thru

It would be so good to get a list of people who say they'd stopwatch United/football etc etc, and see what their views are when the team were winning the big trophies again, playing entertaining football.

I'd confidently say, many posters on here would say they leave and just come back with new names but they wouldn't stop watching United or football.

Decomposing In Paris

I wouldn't support the takeover, I think it would be a very sad moment in the history of this romantic club, and I wouldn't ever feel quite the same way.

I can see why we'd be of real interest though.

We have the brand, the history, the fanbase... buy Newcastle or Southampton and you are going to get the club for cheap, but the investment you can make is curtailed by a properly governed FFP. I'd imagine the Saudi Prince guards his reputation more carefully than any businessman, and would consider it more important than the cost of buying any football club in the world. Buying Manchester United, with our turnover means that the restrictions on FFP would be minimal. It'd be very sad, but I could actually see this happening.

It's even possible that these discussions curtailed our spending this Summer.

Aresma7

I’m actually sick and tired of Woodward bragging about revenue and how much money we earn as a club each year and how much more we will earn next year bla bla... like who actually gives a F*** anymore? I don’t care how much money we earn, that doesn’t bring me any joy. It’s not my wallet that get’s bigger.

I want to see us win games and play good football. Back then (Fergie era) a good and healthy economy was a big +. Now it doesn’t matter anymore. We’re the biggest club but the worst playing football team. Sell the club to the Saudis, even though I hate the people that run that country.
The United States of America is the same. Biggest villains in terms of shady actions and business with other countries the last 100 years of our history. It’s a country who starts wars in other countries for oil and control of natural resources. There is nothing ethical dignity left in this era. Doesn’t matter if our owners are Americans or the Saudi’s. One of the owners takes out our earnings of club the others will invest. I think maybe the Saudi’s want to win an internal game against the Emirates, and our club is the key to put down the Emirates and Man.City from their throne? These Arab families have too much money it’s just pennies for them

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Being owned by the Saudis would be a horrible black mark on our history.

Would rather we continued lining the Glazers pockets than sell our soul to the devil.
I understand where you're coming from, but I'm gonna disagree on this one.

Our owners, and the way they 'bought' the club are anomalously bad in modern football - laughable even.

We need to get rid of them, and the only prospective buyers in this day and age of a club with so much worth will be characters like the Saudis.

The human-rights crimes in Saudi are disgraceful - but them buying United wouldn't mean that you support those crimes. Just as being owned by the Glazers doesn't mean that you support their particular brand of extremo-capitalism scamming.

Nor does it mean that you support the actions of every single sponsor that the Glazers and Woodward continually align our club to in order to make themselves more money.

In fact, you could argue that buying United would attract much more attention on the human rights violations in Saudi Arabia (which it would).

I also feel, it would be good, in the name of fairness to have a football media who would have to choose between continuing to turn a blind eye to everything true of Citeh's ownership, or to do the same with United's (which they wouldn't be able to do).

Bottom line is - we are a massive, massive club being run so badly that it's almost surreal.

We need to have owners who put into the club and are hungry for real success - why should we tolerate an ownership like the Glazers? What other big clubs do / would?

And what other big club would tolerate footballing decisions like those that have, and continue to take place under the Glazers / Woodward?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.