The Saudi Takeover Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

I think maybe the Saudi’s want to win an internal game against the Emirates, and our club is the key to put down the Emirates and Man.City from their throne? These Arab families have too much money it’s just pennies for them
The Saudis are allies with the UAE, so I doubt they have any bad blood with Mansour or aims to topple them. Unlike Qatar (PSG) who are at loggerheads with UAE and hence probably grudge the fact that City are a bit ahead of them in their very similar projects.

Saudi takeover would be purely to boost their rep.

RoyH1

This would be a dealbreaker for me. I would not have the same enthusiasm for the club if this was to happen (hope the Evening Nes is right and it has nothing to do with a sale).

Before some mental midget comes in and says don't be melodramatic I'd request they inform themselves about what happened in Istanbul with a political dissident and an ongoing war in Yemen. Whatever my reservations about the Glazer's they're just rich businessmen and their doing's do not cost human lives.

Deleted member 101472

It would still be earned, United are one of the biggest if not the biggest club in the world. The problem comes with the moral and ethical association with being tied to Saudi Arabia.
I’m trying to think of the right analogy, but in essence we already have enough resources and pull that throwing unlimited money behind us just seems like a “for those sake of it” type move.

Dumbat12

The club can feck off if it’s owned by saudis. Part of the Beauty of supporting this team is that their standing in the sporting world was earned the right way.
What's the difference? Are the Glazers not souless corporate gnomes that turned this club into a mirror of what they are? How much would worse would the Saudis really be? This already isn't the same club it was 13 years ago.

red thru&thru

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm gonna disagree on this one.

Our owners, and the way they 'bought' the club are anomalously bad in modern football - laughable even.

We need to get rid of them, and the only prospective buyers in this day and age of a club with so much worth will be characters like the Saudis.

The human-rights crimes in Saudi are disgraceful - but them buying United wouldn't mean that you support those crimes. Just as being owned by the Glazers doesn't mean that you support their particular brand of extremo-capitalism scamming.

Nor does it mean that you support the actions of every single sponsor that the Glazers and Woodward continually align our club to in order to make themselves more money.

In fact, you could argue that buying United would attract much more attention on the human rights violations in Saudi Arabia (which it would).

I also feel, it would be good, in the name of fairness to have a football media who would have to choose between continuing to turn a blind eye to everything true of Citeh's ownership, or to do the same with United's (which they wouldn't be able to do).

Bottom line is - we are massive, massive club being run so badly that it's almost surreal.

We need to have owners who put into the club - why should we tolerate an ownership like the Glazers? What other big clubs do / would?

And what other big club tolerate footballing decisions like those that have, and continue to take place under the Glazers / Woodward?
Agree. It would force the hand of the Saudi's to get rid off bad publicity and potentially change their ways.

Deleted member 101472

What's the difference? Are the Glazers not souless corporate gnomes that turned this club into a mirror of what they are? How much would worse would the Saudis really be? This already isn't the same club it was 13 years ago.
That’s true, though comparing the way the glazers do business and the country of Saudi Arabia...

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Theres more important things in life than Manchester United winning trophies. We cannot support owners like this.
Of course there are. Being a pawn in a financial dick waving competition between KSA and UAE being played out in Manchester for example.

Kapardin

Agree. It would force the hand of the Saudi's to get rid off bad publicity and potentially change their ways.
Absolute pipedream. There is a reason why the House of Saud are so hamfisted with their rule in their country. Saudi Arabia is a large country united by many tribes. It is near impossible for one royal family to keep them all in check and prevent an Arab Spring or calls for democracy without the help of the oppressive religious laws by the clergy. The moment you make them soft, the threat of an Arab Spring arises.

The oppression will continue as long as they are in power.

tieunhilang

Whether the rumours are true or not, i cannot believe how many on here would be happy for a regime as corrupt and barbaric as the house of saud to take over our football club.
Consider my mind well and truely boggled
You guys slate Lukaku as a donkey, accusing Rashford as a headless chicken. Now imagine Harry Kane up top, Martial (Or Hazard) on the left, Mbappe on the right, Griezmann (Or Dybala) in the middle, Pogba sharing the midfield with Kante (Or Veratti)? The exact kind of lineup United deserves, if we still believe we are the biggest football club in the world.
We have the highest paid manager in the world right now! Two of our signings are in the top 10 most expensive transfers of all time. Both players still play for United, too! (PSG, Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid each have two transfers on the list).

We can go toe-to-toe with any club, it's not even a full year since we beat Manchester City for the signing of Alexis Sánchez! The hell is this fantasy that we're some poor little club on a shoestring budget?
All the good feelings from Alexis's transfer went down the drain when we went back to being a poor beggar and failed to bring him a single centre defender last summer. Everyone and their dog knew we needed reinforcements there. Also we failed to get a proper backup for Pogba (Someone in the mould of Savic or Goretzka). Result? We were fecked by City because Pogba was injured. We had a "beggar" summer, and now Mourinho is trying his best to avoid a "beggar" season for us.

red thru&thru

Absolute pipedream. There is a reason why the House of Saud are so hamfisted with their rule in their country. Saudi Arabia is a large country united by many tribes. It is near impossible for one royal family to keep them all in check and prevent an Arab Spring or calls for democracy without the help of the oppressive religious laws by the clergy. The moment you make them soft, the threat of an Arab Spring arises.

The oppression will continue as long as they are in power.
Well the Crown Prince started to let women drive...moving in the right direction! :)

EwanI Ted

Officially. I think the days of believing City's public finances are over. Factor in all of the hidden oil money deals and their wages would double ours I bet.
Concievably, but its not like theyre bagging players out of our league.

C3Pique

Concievably, but its not like theyre bagging players out of our league.
No, but there is no reason to beleive their spending is what they say it is. So any comparisons between our fees/wages and theirs are pointless as their figures are fake.

LoveFootball

City havent spend much more than us on transfers, and actually spend less on wages than we do. The reason they're performing better than us is down to footballing decisions, not financial ones. Being (ab)used by a vile and regressive regime that will use Manchester United's good name to try and rehabilitate their own terrible repuitation would be bad enough if it were neccesary. Given that its not, going out of one's way to desire it is, frankly, repellant.
Yes they perform better due to football decisions but this was made possible because of money. When City can afford to replace an injury player with a 50M January player, here we're here discussing if 100M will be enough to buy 2 defenders and RW.
The problems of the DRC have been going a lot longer than just the last 30 years and to put it all at the issue of mobile phones is pure BS. Also the Chinese are heavily involved in the DRC and have been since the 60's, in fact China has funded a lot of these issues to the point where they are recognised in the country as most favoured nation. Guess the area they are involved in mostly, mining. Regardless 2 wrongs don't make a right, it is something that I don't have a say in as it is with the cars. Support for a club I love becoming the propaganda front of a dictatorial regime is.
You're wrong about DRC but let leave it here as it'd involve a lot of things and will derail this thread. The only truth is that more than 6.000.000 people died since 1998 and continue to die because of Coltan and nobody gives a feck, you'll be shocked if you dare visit that country.

If you think there are more important thing in the world than football, start by protesting against your government and stop buying staffs from Samsung, HP, Acer, Iphone. UK and USA are responsible of many genocide around the world and nobody point the finger toward them. If you think that killing a journalist is horrible, go and see what militia are actually doing in that country.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
City havent spend much more than us on transfers, and actually spend less on wages than we do. The reason they're performing better than us is down to footballing decisions, not financial ones. Being (ab)used by a vile and regressive regime that will use Manchester United's good name to try and rehabilitate their own terrible repuitation would be bad enough if it were neccesary. Given that its not, going out of one's way to desire it is, frankly, repellant.
Well said

GBBQ

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm gonna disagree on this one.

Our owners, and the way they 'bought' the club are anomalously bad in modern football - laughable even.

We need to get rid of them, and the only prospective buyers in this day and age of a club with so much worth will be characters like the Saudis.

The human-rights crimes in Saudi are disgraceful - but them buying United wouldn't mean that you support those crimes. Just as being owned by the Glazers doesn't mean that you support their particular brand of extremo-capitalism scamming.

Nor does it mean that you support the actions of every single sponsor that the Glazers and Woodward continually align our club to in order to make themselves more money.

In fact, you could argue that buying United would attract much more attention on the human rights violations in Saudi Arabia (which it would).

I also feel, it would be good, in the name of fairness to have a football media who would have to choose between continuing to turn a blind eye to everything true of Citeh's ownership, or to do the same with United's (which they wouldn't be able to do).

Bottom line is - we are a massive, massive club being run so badly that it's almost surreal.

We need to have owners who put into the club and are hungry for real success - why should we tolerate an ownership like the Glazers? What other big clubs do / would?

And what other big club would tolerate footballing decisions like those that have, and continue to take place under the Glazers / Woodward?
Do you actually believe all the things you just typed?

1. Our structure is bad, agreed, it is not however terminal. Some investment in key management and decision making positions and we'd be set regardless of our owners
2. Sustainability - We are looking at a short term vanity project (so far) for a lot of these clubs what happens when things go tits up (uprisings, civil wars, sanctions etc.). Look at Abramovich not being let into the country. United have built a solid financial base that means we are self sustaining and not relying on generous benefactors to pay us off.
3. You cannot believe that the Saudi's will buy United and this will cure all their ills? It hasn't happened with PSG or City in their respective owner's home lands. Its not going to happen here.

To think this is something to aim for is just unbelievably naive.

EwanI Ted

No, but there is no reason to beleive their spending is what they say it is. So any comparisons between our fees/wages and theirs are pointless as their figures are fake.
Well if you accept the point of the argument, why quibble over the details?

johanovic

If the Saudi´s buy United it will at least not be their intent to milk the club dry as the Glazers have done. Would I like somebody else buying the club? Yes I would but who? Who has the money to buy from the Glazers? If they buy the club, clear up the debt and let the club be run by football people then I do not see how bad that is.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
You guys slate Lukaku as a donkey, accusing Rashford as a headless chicken. Now imagine Harry Kane up top, Martial (Or Hazard) on the left, Mbappe on the right, Griezmann (Or Dybala) in the middle, Pogba sharing the midfield with Kante (Or Veratti)? The exact kind of lineup United deserves, if we still believe we are the biggest football club in the world..
I don't believe i've ever called Lukaku a donkey and i certainly have never called Rashford a headless chicken. Please show me where i have?
We could afford the players you mentioned already if the club was structured and ran correctly, we are still 1 of if not the biggest money generating clubs in world football with a fantastic history and a standing in world football which would attract those players.
However, what's that got to do with supporting a takeover by a brutal and despotic regime?

Deleted member 101472

If the Saudi´s buy United it will at least not be their intent to milk the club dry as the Glazers have done. Would I like somebody else buying the club? Yes I would but who? Who has the money to buy from the Glazers? If they buy the club, clear up the debt and let the club be run by football people then I do not see how bad that is.
the people buying the club in this scenario are in many ways responsible for a country with some of the worst human rights issues on the planet. If that's not enough reason to be against them buying i don't know what is

Pyro19

Somethings are more important than football. Being a plaything of Saudis in their dick measuring contest would ruin much of what Manchester United means to me.

Sincerely hope the sale stories are false, would be a dealbreaker sadly.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yes they perform better due to football decisions but this was made possible because of money. When City can afford to replace an injury player with a 50M January player, here we're here discussing if 100M will be enough to buy 2 defenders and RW.

You're wrong about DRC but let leave it here as it'd involve a lot of things and will derail this thread. The only truth is that more than 6.000.000 people died since 1998 and continue to die because of Coltan and nobody gives a feck, you'll be shocked if you dare visit that country.

If you think there are more important thing in the world than football, start by protesting against your government and stop buying staffs from Samsung, HP, Acer, Iphone. UK and USA are responsible of many genocide around the world and nobody point the finger toward them. If you think that killing a journalist is horrible, go and see what militia are actually doing in that country.
I do protest my government and don't buy HP, Acer or Samsung anymore, that's mostly by coincidence though. Apple isn't and I gave up their products 10 years ago for various reasons one of them being the free enterprise zones in South Asia. I doubt I will ever visit the DRC but I have worked and travelled to Nigeria and filmed in the northern territories as well as Rwanda. It has nothing to do with the murder of the journalist either, as I said I worked for Amnesty International on a female oppression project as well as a capital punishment campaign and it has shaped a lot of how I think about the likes of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and UAE. Anyway again it's beside the point and you are right it is derailing the thread. It is very hard to do the right thing in every aspect of your life. One of the things I hold in high esteem is my Football Club. I know it's not what it once was in terms of the connection to the community it rose from, but wanting it to not fall into the hands and become a plaything of vicious regime and used as a propaganda tool is something I can oppose and have a say in personally.

Utdstar01

Sooner or later we will be taken over by somebody and quite frankly the Saud's are probably one of a very few groups of people who can afford it. Anybody who's saying they'd stop supporting the club from a moral POV is being ridiculous considering the absolute morons we have running the club at the moment in time and considering we already have sponsorship ties to the Sauds. Owners don't always necessarily represent what a club stands for.

Kapardin

Sooner or later we will be taken over by somebody and quite frankly the Saud's are probably one of a very few groups of people who can afford it. Anybody who's saying they'd stop supporting the club from a moral POV is being ridiculous considering the absolute morons we have running the club at the moment in time too. Owners don't always necessarily represent what a club stands for.
I don't see any reason to stop supporting the club. We can't help it if a bunch of high class murderers take over. At any rate, we don't need their money, we just need a proper structure and freedom to spend the money we make by ourselves -- which would be substantial enough with or without Woodward's noodle sponsors for sure.

The only downer would be seeing MBS' face plastered all over club matters, but I suppose we will have to live with it.

stepic

I think thats the argument some of these guys are trying to make, all this stuff about buying fuel, phones etc and the other stupid argument that the Glazers are American so they bombed Japan or similar bullshit. It's all nothing more than guys trying to justify not giving a feck. Because not all but a lot of them are Gloryhunters who just want shiny new toys every summer. And they want trophies because thats primarily what they support and what most likely drew them to supporting United in the first place. A Saudi takeover would allow them to avoid the uncomfortable 1-2 year changeover when they switch to supporting another club.
What a lot of rubbish.

You can still be a United fan and also be against the owners. United is bigger than any individual player, manager... or owner. I’d love to check back to these threads in the future and see all those who claim they’ll stop supporting still posting away.

It’s irrelevant anyway for now as the latest reports appear to be downplaying any sale.

johanovic

the people buying the club in this scenario are in many ways responsible for a country with some of the worst human rights issues on the planet. If that's not enough reason to be against them buying i don't know what is
I understand your point and in a perfect world I would like somebody like Gates,Bezos or similar to buy the club but I doubt that will happen. My point was IF they would buy the club and IF they would clear up the debts and let the club run itself as we would do much better if not having to reapay the loans and be a piggy bank for the Glazers as we do today. I am in no way a supporter of how Saudi government is behaving but if they want to use us in a positive way would they not go about that in the right way? Would they not be smart enough to know they would have to handle this correctly? United is money machine that needs to get rid of the Glazers and reclaim our standing in the game. Are people perhaps a little hypocritical in a way as Saudis are the biggest exporter of oil in the world but I do not see mass demonstrations or boycotts of the users of their oil.

beedoubleyou

You guys slate Lukaku as a donkey, accusing Rashford as a headless chicken. Now imagine Harry Kane up top, Martial (Or Hazard) on the left, Mbappe on the right, Griezmann (Or Dybala) in the middle, Pogba sharing the midfield with Kante (Or Veratti)? The exact kind of lineup United deserves, if we still believe we are the biggest football club in the world.

All the good feelings from Alexis's transfer went down the drain when we went back to being a poor beggar and failed to bring him a single centre defender last summer. Everyone and their dog knew we needed reinforcements there. Also we failed to get a proper backup for Pogba (Someone in the mould of Savic or Goretzka). Result? We were fecked by City because Pogba was injured. We had a "beggar" summer, and now Mourinho is trying his best to avoid a "beggar" season for us.
I didn't think someone else's opinion could make me cringe as much as this. Well done.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I understand your point and in a perfect world I would like somebody like Gates,Bezos or similar to buy the club but I doubt that will happen. My point was IF they would buy the club and IF they would clear up the debts and let the club run itself as we would do much better if not having to reapay the loans and be a piggy bank for the Glazers as we do today. I am in no way a supporter of how Saudi government is behaving but if they want to use us in a positive way would they not go about that in the right way? Would they not be smart enough to know they would have to handle this correctly? United is money machine that needs to get rid of the Glazers and reclaim our standing in the game. Are people perhaps a little hypocritical in a way as Saudis are the biggest exporter of oil in the world but I do not see mass demonstrations or boycotts of the users of their oil.
Most of that money would be taxed. There isn't a whole lot of money that isn't used on the club.

beedoubleyou

Sooner or later we will be taken over by somebody and quite frankly the Saud's are probably one of a very few groups of people who can afford it. Anybody who's saying they'd stop supporting the club from a moral POV is being ridiculous considering the absolute morons we have running the club at the moment in time and considering we already have sponsorship ties to the Sauds. Owners don't always necessarily represent what a club stands for.
There's a difference between being lumped with owners via a leveraged buyout, against your desires and to the detriment of the club you love, and welcoming a takeover from an owner because of the promise of riches, no matter the cost.

Kostov

The club is in a state due to awful management at several levels. It's nothing to do with money. Everything else you say is repetition and boils down to the simple fact that you care more for bragging rights of a team a thousand miles away from you than you do for the basic human rights of millions of people. You can't take that position and lecture others about moral high grounds and supposed hypocrisy.

Just because you surrender your decency so easily shouldn't mean we have to lie down and take it too.
How can you say it's nothing to do with money? How do you know? It's most probably about money, why else would they knowingly run the club like they do? I mean what else rather than shire stupidity, because the current wage structure or transfer spending is not sustainable unless we also get our act together in the footballing part.

And you see, maybe for you Manchester United is just about bragging rights, not for me. It's more than that, but you have different footballing fans I suppose.

And please don't lecture me about basic human rights from the comfort the same government provides you, while they sell weapons to the Saudis. What have you ever done about human rights when your own government bombed innocent women and children in the last half 60-70 years? I don't lecture others about moral high grounds, I just can't switch and choose when my morals work. I gave up on that long ago.

Utdstar01

There's a difference between being lumped with owners via a leveraged buyout, against your desires and to the detriment of the club you love, and welcoming a takeover from an owner because of the promise of riches, no matter the cost.
What can you do about it as a fan regardless? Nothing. We already have ties to the Sauds as it is anyway so maybe everyone that's so enraged by it should just stop supporting now.

Kostov

Would you be saying that if an A. Hitler was interested in buying the club, with the benefit of foresight letting us know that the club was the benefactor of the products of a holocaust?
These guys are hardly Hitler are they? I mean the morally correct West is their biggest ally and friend, those who should be stopping them, are helping them, so we go along with the flow.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
That would be the end for me. I live in Cardiff so I’d just start going to their games.

JohnnyKills

I think thats the argument some of these guys are trying to make, all this stuff about buying fuel, phones etc and the other stupid argument that the Glazers are American so they bombed Japan or similar bullshit. It's all nothing more than guys trying to justify not giving a feck. Because not all but a lot of them are Gloryhunters who just want shiny new toys every summer. And they want trophies because thats primarily what they support and what most likely drew them to supporting United in the first place. A Saudi takeover would allow them to avoid the uncomfortable 1-2 year changeover when they switch to supporting another club.
Sorry, that's nonsense.

A lot of people have been following United for years and it's the hobby they've drawn the most enjoyment from. The most important of all life's non-essentials. It would be a massive wrench to give that up, which is probably why a lot of people are doing mental gymnastics trying to justify this.

I'm as anti-Riyadh as anyone so would join the boycott if it came down to it, but the prospect of abandoning United is pretty shit. I'm from the area and all my family support them so can't just go off and support my local team like some others on here. They are my local team.

Anyone who tries to attribute this sort of dilemma to being spoilt or entitled is an idiot.

tomaldinho1

I'll get a lot of stick for this comment, but if this were Liverpool, I'd be jumping for joy, despite having good owners already.

It's oil money, it's tainted, it comes at the cost of lives, etc... Well, so does pretty much every luxury item you own. Your clothes are made in sweatshops, your electronics are manufactured in a place where suicide nets are put up in place of improvements to basic living standards... Why the selective conscience on this? Or is it just the idea of having to listen to City fans lambast you for what you've given them stick over for the past decade?

You're already owned by foreigners anyway, so it's not like you're losing much there in terms of sticking to the core of who you are. I'd take the better football over any sort of moral high ground, as I already gave up that high ground with the stuff I own anyway.
Taking the stance of it's fine because everything is f*cked anyway isn't really a great argument.

Football was proven corrupt at the highest levels and yet we're trundling on, essentially accepting the fact that City, PSG and probably many other clubs (likely even United to some degree) have been committing fraud. You have to take a stand somewhere, not for moral high ground but for general human decency. We are big enough and rich enough to compete with the biggest clubs in the world already.

andycolegangstainnit

First of all the debt is a non-issue. They could pay off the debt by issuing more shares on the NYSE but dividends would be paid instead of interest. The question is do you want the club ran as a business - as it was as a PLC and as the Glazers are running it - or do you want it ran by a sugar-daddy who'll put money in rather than take it out (the 3rd option Class of 92 or MUST or the supporters running it is pie in the sky as the club is simply too big now).

Personally, I've never been that fussed either way about the Glazers. since 2005 we've spent a fair chunk on transfers on wages - probably around £750m on transfers = commensurate with other clubs (apart from the two Sugar Daddy clubs). The problem hasn't been lack of funds it's been choosing bad players. I'd rather UEFA enforce FFP rigorously so the sugar-daddy clubs can't spend more than they earn (cheating effectively) rather than us join their ranks. It's one thing being owned by a bunch of trailer-park Americans quite another a vicious and brutal regime that has a long history of human rights abuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.