The Spurs thread | 2016-2017 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in top 4 in the upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Looks like Vincent Janssen will be announced tomorrow morning.

Really pleased with the business. DM and striker depth were the two main issues and we've addressed them quickly. Everything from here on out in the transfer window is basically extra in my mind. Although I would like to hear about new contracts for Eriksen, Lamela, and Vertonghen at some point as they have two years left on their deals.
Has there been any rumors with regards to departing players?

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Has there been any rumors with regards to departing players?
No key players should be leaving.

Fazio and Yedlin are almost guaranteed to be gone as they're deemed simply not good enough.

Mason has drawn strong interest from Bournemouth and Hull but I think he'll stay because he loves the club and will only leave when it looks 100% that he won't get playing time. He was a starter two years ago and was injured a lot last year, so I think he'll want to fight for a place, but I don't see him winning one. I like his character though so I don't at all mind him being around.

Tom Carroll should be sold, but there's been no noise.

Nacer Chadli is another I'd expect to sell as he's an incredibly productive player when given playing time, but he doesn't seem to fit the pressing tactics. He also appears to be behind Eriksen, Alli, Lamela, Son in the pecking order for his position. I could see him going somewhere like Wolfsburg for a decent fee, but there's been no noise.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Surprised at how few of us think they'll get top 4. I say this every year but I really do think this is going to be the tightest race at the top. Spurs are certainly in the mix and I think will squeak 4th.

It's so hard to predict how these new teams will react with their new managers. They have a bit of consistency about them and their already good younger players will improve. They may even go higher than 4th. It's going to be interesting for sure.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm very surprised they've not strengthened their team and only really added depth. I think they'll be in trouble if they don't get some more quality players in.

Enigma_87

You know who
In before Glaston says he is better than Suarez
From what I've seen, he's a bit of a player on a purple patch.

Although credit to him for proving himself this year after being deemed not good enough by Feyenord.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Of course we are talking about last season but you comparisons of last season to previous seasons are all inconsistent.

You used league finishes of last 3 seasons for United, 2 seasons for Chelsea and 0 seasons for Spurs. That's what doesn't make any sense to me.

If you use last 3 seasons' results, Chelsea underperformed, we were par and Spurs overperformed.
Well, I've already said that Chelski underperformed and that United were par, so you're simply disagreeing with me when I say that Spurs have not (IMO) over-performed.

But I don't see why you are disagreeing, because on your own figures for the last 3 seasons Spurs have a better league position-average than United (4.6 compared to 5.3). Thus given that United finished in 5th place last season you'd expect Spurs to have finished higher, which we did, in 3rd place. The only difference is that we finished in 3rd place rather than 4th, but the points difference between 3rd and 5th was only 4 points, so it's hardly worth arguing about in my view.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fazio and Yedlin are almost guaranteed to be gone as they're deemed simply not good enough.
That surely means you'd be on the hunt for a new CB? Lets assume Vertonghen gets suspended/injured, Wimmer fills in but who's CB cover on the bench? You'd have to use Dier as an emergency CB which seems a bit daft.

NK86

Stop fueling an obvious troll please - it was a great strike that could have beaten any of the GK's mentioned, whether Lloris could have saved it or not is a matter of opinion but overall it is entirely pointless to talk about a single incident when making a judgement on any player - Neuer, De gea, Courtouis, etc. have all made mistakes in the past.

I'm starting to see a pattern when it comes to discussion on Spurs on this site and it mostly revolves around certain posters trying to annoy people.
Yeah, because Glaston never trolls! As for that post you are picking up, I don't see how it was trolling. The poster simply asked if Lloris could have done better. We have the same questions raised for DDG (who is miles ahead of Lloris) on her from time to time.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
That surely means you'd be on the hunt for a new CB? Lets assume Vertonghen gets suspended/injured, Wimmer fills in but who's CB cover on the bench? You'd have to use Dier as an emergency CB which seems a bit daft.

Now that we have Wanyama to cover for Dier in the DM position, it wouldn't mean such a dramatic loss in the quality of our CM duo if Dier did have to switch to CB for a while .. and bear in mind that CB was Dier's original position.

Also, we have Cameron Carter-Vickers, aged 18, who looks like he'll be brought into the first team squad this season. He's highly-rated at Spurs and has represented the USA up to U-23 level.

Last edited:

jungledrums

@GlastonSpur will Tottenham make top 4 next season? Do you at least acknowledge that there is a good chance, given the strengthening of the more traditional (at least recently) top 4, that Tottenham will not make top 4?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Now that we Wanyama to cover for Dier in the DM position, it wouldn't mean such a dramatic loss in the quality of our CM duo if Dier did have to switch to CB for a while .. and bear in mind that CB was Dier's original position.

Also, we have Cameron-Carter Vickers also, aged 18, who looks like he'll be brought into the first team squad this season. He's highly-rated at Spurs and has represented the USA up to U-23 level.
Do you think Dier is good enough at CB though? Bit of a risk to go into a season with only 3 recognised CBs, i'd probably be trying to find another like Wimmer personally.

You do also need another right winger who is a consistent goal threat. If you manage to bring Gotze in then I can certainly see you lining up with him as the Right Forward option, I guess you could also use N'Jie on the right, but he's an unknown quantity at this stage (despite me rating him).

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
They need another winger imo.
Definitely. They have some great midfielders but I do not see one who is an exceptional dribbler. They lack someone to serve as a 'plan B', a pacey winger to hug the touchline, beat his man and make runs in behind the defence. I posted at the end of the season they needed another striker, another CM and a winger. They've got the first two, if they get the last one I'd be impressed.

baanke laal

banned
OK, so Spurs have signed Janssen officially for £18.8m. Slightly more expensive than the standards of usual spurs signings, but still incredibly cheap given what we've seen others go for this window already. I think they signed Son for more money than him, but Son came from a club which offered him CL & with a bigger stature than AZ. Son was kinda more proven in the more competitive Bundesliga too.

Regarding Jansenn, it can go either way. But it has the potential to turn into one of the signings of the summer. The way he plays is based a lot around converting half-chances into goals, similar to Harry Kane. He has a pretty good physical presence, but also is dangerous with the ball at his feet and two-footed. He scored 32 goals in 46 games for AZ, but the standard of defending in dutch league is nothing to be proud of. It would be interesting to see how much game-time he gets next season on PL games. He is a young player & playing regularly would be crucial for his development.

I am surprised Wenger did not go for him, £18.8m is not much for Arsenal. He likes signing these kind of players & Arsenal are crying out loud for a striker. Maybe the pressure from fans is getting to him & making him afraid to gamble on a young striker? Imagine if Janssen replicates his form from the Dutch league and turns into another Suarez/RVP kind of player? Would we hear Wenger tell everyone he knew about Janssen & almost signed him? Also, Arsenal fans are a crazy bunch, if Janssen turns into a world class striker they would jump on Wenger's back for not signing him & letting him go to spurs.

Vicar of Dibbly

Supports
Spurs
They need another winger imo.
Firstly, spurs don't have any wingers so needing "another" one isn't a question. Secondly the reason they don't have any wingers is because they don't play with wingers, the full backs provide the width.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Of course we are talking about last season but you comparisons of last season to previous seasons are all inconsistent.

You used league finishes of last 3 seasons for United, 2 seasons for Chelsea and 0 seasons for Spurs. That's what doesn't make any sense to me.

If you use last 3 seasons' results, Chelsea underperformed, we were par and Spurs overperformed.
@Sarni will love these exchanges :lol: I think he and Glaston went through the similar "measurement variation" debates last season.

Vicar of Dibbly

Supports
Spurs
OK, so Spurs have signed Janssen officially for £18.8m. Slightly more expensive than the standards of usual spurs signings, but still incredibly cheap given what we've seen others go for this window already. I think they signed Son for more money than him, but Son came from a club which offered him CL & with a bigger stature than AZ. Son was kinda more proven in the more competitive Bundesliga too.

Regarding Jansenn, it can go either way. But it has the potential to turn into one of the signings of the summer. The way he plays is based a lot around converting half-chances into goals, similar to Harry Kane. He has a pretty good physical presence, but also is dangerous with the ball at his feet and two-footed. He scored 32 goals in 46 games for AZ, but the standard of defending in dutch league is nothing to be proud of. It would be interesting to see how much game-time he gets next season on PL games. He is a young player & playing regularly would be crucial for his development.

I am surprised Wenger did not go for him, £18.8m is not much for Arsenal. He likes signing these kind of players & Arsenal are crying out loud for a striker. Maybe the pressure from fans is getting to him & making him afraid to gamble on a young striker? Imagine if Janssen replicates his form from the Dutch league and turns into another Suarez/RVP kind of player? Would we hear Wenger tell everyone he knew about Janssen & almost signed him? Also, Arsenal fans are a crazy bunch, if Janssen turns into a world class striker they would jump on Wenger's back for not signing him & letting him go to spurs.
The price for Janssen is 17 million, the extra is add-ons. Son was 22 mil, Sodado was 26 mil, Lamela was 30 mil so the Janssen price is hardly "more expensive" than usual signings. The money is available for what is considered the right players. I'm not sure Wenger had an opportunity to sign Janssen, he visited the spurs training centre earlier this year, met Poch and agreed to come to spurs, saying it was the only place he wanted to go. Since then he reportedly turned down West Ham and PSG who apparently offered him more money than spurs.

baanke laal

banned
I'm not sure Wenger had an opportunity to sign Janssen, he visited the spurs training centre earlier this year, met Poch and agreed to come to spurs, saying it was the only place he wanted to go. Since then he reportedly turned down West Ham and PSG who apparently offered him more money than spurs.
The development & rise of Harry Kane at Spurs under Pochettino, must have played a huge role in him going to spurs over PSG. London factor and CL is an added bonus too. What would happen to Son now? Would he be sold or loaned out?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
@Sarni will love these exchanges :lol: I think he and Glaston went through the similar "measurement variation" debates last season.
Glaston will never admit that but out of last 1 official games, Spurs have won 0 games while United won 1 (in extra time). This is the last trend available.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The development & rise of Harry Kane at Spurs under Pochettino, must have played a huge role in him going to spurs over PSG. London factor and CL is an added bonus too. What would happen to Son now? Would he be sold or loaned out?
PSG also play in CL (and will play a more important role there than Tottenham) and Paris is quite nice too.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Why would Son be sold/loaned? Janssen is a CF, Son plays on the Wing for Spurs.

Chaldi/Son/Eriksen - Left Wing
Lamela/Son/N'Jie - Right Wing
Eriksen/Alli - AM
Kane/Janssen - CF

RedCurry

Well, I've already said that Chelski underperformed and that United were par, so you're simply disagreeing with me when I say that Spurs have not (IMO) over-performed.

But I don't see why you are disagreeing, because on your own figures for the last 3 seasons Spurs have a better league position-average than United (4.6 compared to 5.3). Thus given that United finished in 5th place last season you'd expect Spurs to have finished higher, which we did, in 3rd place. The only difference is that we finished in 3rd place rather than 4th, but the points difference between 3rd and 5th was only 4 points, so it's hardly worth arguing about in my view.
4.6 equates to you guys being an average of 4-5th placed team. I think everyone at Caf will agree that that's pretty much where Spurs would be considered par. Top 3 is by all means over performance from you guys especially considering you were only 1 point away from actually ending 2nd.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

baanke laal

banned
PSG also play in CL (and will play a more important role there than Tottenham) and Paris is quite nice too.
Yes you are right, but for a young & upcoming striker like him breaking into a star studded PSG squad would be very difficult for him. PSG are not exactly known for that when they are trying to buy their way to a CL trophy. Also, Pochettino is known to work well with youngsters based on his time at Southampton and Spurs so far. I am sure that would have been a huge influence, if PSG were indeed interested in him.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
@GlastonSpur will Tottenham make top 4 next season? Do you at least acknowledge that there is a good chance, given the strengthening of the more traditional (at least recently) top 4, that Tottenham will not make top 4?
I'll wait until the transfer windows is nearly closed and the season about to kick off before making predictions about Spurs and the other top 4 contenders.

Last edited:

sammyvine

Is Janssen any good? His goal record is amazing but we have seen many dutch strikers come to the PL and they have looked not very good.

Look at Memphis for example.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
4.6 equates to you guys being an average of 4-5th placed team. I think everyone at Caf will agree that that's pretty much where Spurs would be considered par. Top 3 is by all means over performance from you guys especially considering you were only 1 point away from actually ending 2nd.
I don't agree, because you are not taking into account:

(a) The arrival of Pochettino and the improved squad performance that was always likely to occur (for the reasons I gave earlier in this thread) in his 2nd season at Spurs. In other words, what might have been over-performance previously became the expected performance.

(b) The obvious underperformance of Chelski last season, which loosened things up at the top end. If Chelski had not under-performed so badly, then perhaps Spurs would have finished 4th and not 3rd.

Anyhow, this is all getting tedious now, minutely discussing who did (or did not) over or under perform last season. Let's just focus on the season ahead.

RedCurry

I don't agree, because you are not taking into account:

(a) The arrival of Pochettino and the improved squad performance that was always likely to occur (for the reasons I gave earlier in this thread) in his 2nd season at Spurs. In other words, what might have been over-performance previously became the expected performance.

(b) The obvious underperformance of Chelski last season, which loosened things up at the top end. If Chelski had not under-performed so badly, then perhaps Spurs would have finished 4th and not 3rd.

Anyhow, this is all getting tedious now, minutely discussing who did (or did not) over or under perform last season. Let's just focus on the season ahead.
The bolded bit is obviously just your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Vicar of Dibbly

Supports
Spurs
Is Janssen any good? His goal record is amazing but we have seen many dutch strikers come to the PL and they have looked not very good.

Look at Memphis for example.
True, but why only look at one side of the coin?? van Persie, van Baston, van Nistleroy, Bergkamp, Kluivert to name a few.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
True, but why only look at one side of the coin?? van Persie, van Baston, van Nistleroy, Bergkamp, Kluivert to name a few.
People refer to the volatility of Dutch League exports a lot but apart from maybe Makaay? (only seen clips), those that succeed almost always have very good+ technique and ball skills. I don't think it's fair to cite them in this case.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
According to good sources the club see Dier's future as a world class CB, so playing him there and Wanyama at DM should Alderweireld be injured or need a rest isn't the craziest idea in the world. Not to mention it's also not absurd to think one of Vertonghen or Wimmer could play the right side.

Glaston has also mentioned CCV (Cameron Carter-Vickers) from our youth system, but I think he's someone who needs a loan move first.

Vicar of Dibbly

Supports
Spurs
Possible all those things played a part but he has said that he was hugely impressed with the set-up (training centre etc), and didn't want to go anywhere else after visiting it and talking to Poch.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
That photo really shows how much bigger the whole new stadium complex is going to be compared to the old White Hart Lane ... especially when you take into account the already-completed buildings on the photo's bottom left and realise that the photo doesn't show a projection of the other new buildings - hotel, apartments etc - that are included in the overall plan.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
That photo really shows how much bigger the whole new stadium complex is going to be compared to the old White Hart Lane ... especially when you take into account the already-completed buildings on the photo's bottom left and realise that the photo doesn't show a projection of the other new buildings - hotel, apartments etc - that are included in the overall plan.
What’s the capacity going to be in the new stadium?

aikay

They'll finish fifth or sixth I reckon. The reason they finished third last year was because so many of the 'top' teams had horrible seasons. That is definitely not happening this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.