The Spurs thread | 2016-2017 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in top 4 in the upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Yeah, cause Mourinho's teams are known for playing entertaining fotball. Jose's just doing what he's always done, deflecting attention from himself and his own struggling team.
He's played attacking football with us for the most part.

Our attackers simply can't put away their chances.

I don't get the hate directed to Jose by some Chelsea fans. He's your greatest ever manager and you genuinely loved him when he was manager. Things didn't work out for whatever reason, but it doesn't take away from what he achieved there. United arent historical rivals so it's not like yes joined the enemy or something.

montpelier

I don't think the extra possession gave Spurs any superiority yesterday. Chelsea could create opportunities & kept scoring.

Spurs played well enough but it's not like they got massively done over or robbed or anything.

ZAGREB RED

Beforehand I thought the Semi would be really tight and maybe go 2-1 either way or even ET and penalties, with the winners looking to really push on for the Title/Double. Certainly didn't expect Spurs to concede 4 - although I did laugh when Shearer said in the build-up Lloris was the best keeper in the EPL - but Chelsea gave them a lesson in how to win big games minus some of your best players and not playing at your best.
I think today a lot of the Spurs players will be sitting thinking they let themselves down a bit yesterday. They played well enough in spells, but in a big game like that you sometimes just need to find a way to win and get over the line.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
He's played attacking football with us for the most part.

Our attackers simply can't put away their chances.

I don't get the hate directed to Jose by some Chelsea fans. He's your greatest ever manager and you genuinely loved him when he was manager. Things didn't work out for whatever reason, but it doesn't take away from what he achieved there. United arent historical rivals so it's not like yes joined the enemy or something.
I don't hate Jose. I have an utmost respect for him for all the great things he did for my club. I also never cared for his style of football and was never fond of his mind games and classless behavior he was often guilty of while many CFC fans were willing to overlook those things and forgive pretty much anything as long as he won trophies for them. The downside to it is when things inevitably go bad all you got left is a bitter man who'd throw under the bus the players, the fans, the owner and even the medical staff but would never ever admit his own faults. That's what I like about Conte (who may never reach Mourinho's accomplishments) and always disliked and still do, about Jose.

But he's a winner, there's no question about that.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I don't hate Jose. I have an utmost respect for him for all the great things he did for my club. I also never cared for his style of football and was never fond of his mind games and classless behavior he was often guilty of while many CFC fans were willing to overlook those things and forgive pretty much anything as long as he won trophies for them. The downside to it is when things inevitably go bad all you got left is a bitter man who'd throw under the bus the players, the fans, the owner and even the medical staff but would never ever admit his own faults. That's what I like about Conte (who may never reach Mourinho's accomplishments) and always disliked and still do, about Jose.

But he's a winner
, there's no question about that.
And that's exactly what United need.

We have gone for the ' honest, hard-working option' and it failed dismally.

I really don't see the constant need to point out Jose's ills to us United fans. We know most of them. The thing is United has never been one to simply embrace the squeaky clean good guys only. Think Cantona and Keane. Deeply troubled men with plenty of faults but we learnt to love them. Think of your club legend , John Terry. Flawed to the core but you still loved him.

It's what Jose does at this club that will count the most for us, and his behaviour has generally been good.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm glad Chelsea beat them. The pro Spurs agenda even from the commentators during the game has become really annoying. I don't mind Spurs, I just don't like having it rammed down my throat how special and deserving of praise they are...when they win something, praise them, not just because they turn up. No other team in the top 6 could lose a cup semi 4-2, and at the end of the game they're getting more praise/sympathy than the winners. If you concede 4 goals against the team top of the league, you will lose. There's nothing unlucky about that.

Also the Spurs fans at work have turned into idiots this season. They genuinely think they have a better team than Chelsea and have just been unlucky all season. Spurs are a good side but Chelsea have better players, quite easily. Spurs have done really well to be near them and that I suspect is mostly down to the manager.

I along with other fellow Chelsea supporters know Mourinho much better than most United fans, for obvious reasons. He's not doing anything new or original. I don't feel any bitterness towards him managing MU and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a few trophies with the club, given his pedigree and huge financial resources at his disposal. But it's a well-known fact that Murinho's Chelsea were criticized constantly for being too pragmatic and dull, too defensive oriented. It was 'boring boring Chelsea'. Conte's Chelsea is a counter attacking team, but it's more adventurous than Mourinho's version ever was, and in his first stint at CFC Jose had the best and the deepest squad in terms of talent in the club's history.
In fairness though, if you put Mourinho's Chelsea side up against Conte's, I reckon Mourinho's would spank them. Better players, better organised, and better mentally, for me. Mourinho's Chelsea would never turn up at Old Trafford and roll over the way that happened the other week.

They also had to compete against Arsenal's invincibles, and a United team with the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, Rio etc..whilst also going for the Champions League against top European teams. Conte's Chelsea has to compete with Harry Kane.

I don't really think there's any fair comparison to be honest.

Also, I'm not saying it is all Chelsea fans, but the ones I know, it is amusing how much their opinions of what Mourinho did have changed. Not sure if it's purely due to joining United, or more to do with his awful last season, but all of a suddent Mourinho "was always rubbish at that" or "never was any good at x"...you'd never had heard any of this before last season. Instead, you'd get nonsense like "every single thing Jose says is always correct"

Football fans are fickle idiots and I don't think it changes much from one club to another. United fans with Jose are a pretty good example of that too. A lot do seem to get angry at him doing exactly the same things he always did at Chelsea (and every other club), as if it some massive surprise...but it's not because they think he's out of order, it's because we'll have drawn 0-0 with West Brom a few days before.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
8 league wins in a row. On 74 points now, our highest ever PL points total ... and still with 5 games to go.

Still in the title race, tho' only just, with Chelsea still big favourites. However, if Chelsea were to lose at Everton this weekend and we can beat Arsenal at WHL, then the gap would be down to just 1 point with 4 games left and things would get very interesting.

WhoDaGOAT

I expected a draw honestly. Big win for Spurs.
Very impressed. Their heads were down in the 1st half but they dug in and saw the half out.

Two positive changes at half-time saw a dominant 2nd half. Great strike to win it.

JoaquinJoaquin

8 league wins in a row. On 74 points now, our highest ever PL points total ... and still with 5 games to go.

Still in the title race, tho' only just, with Chelsea still big favourites. However, if Chelsea were to lose at Everton this weekend and we can beat Arsenal at WHL, then the gap would be down to just 1 point with 4 games left and things would get very interesting.
That's your problem though and where you really need to improve if you are realistic in winning the league. You have no problem putting away the 'lesser' sides (something United need to improve upon next season) but in the big games is where you always slip up. I think it might even be a mental thing at this point. When the pressure is on against the big teams Spurs always let themselves down.

If you look at your record against the other top sides in the last 12 months:

5th May 2016 - vs Chelsea = 2-2 Draw
21st August 2016 - vs Liverpool = 1-1 Draw
2nd October 2016 - vs City = 2-0 WON
25th October 2016 - vs Liverpool = 2-1 Lost
6th November 2016 - vs Arsenal = 1-1 Draw
26th November 2016 - vs Chelsea = 2-1 Lost
11th December 2016 - vs United = 1-0 Lost
4th January 2017 - vs Chelsea = 2-0 WON
21st January 2017 - vs City = 2-2 Draw
11th February 2017 - vs Liverpool = 2-0 Lost
22nd April 2017 - vs Chelsea = 4-2 Lost

So that's 2 wins out of your last 11 games against the big sides. That's what will prevent you winning the league every year until you improve that.

RedDevil@84

I can see Spurs implode if they lose to Arsenal at home. They anyways have challenging matches with Utd and Leicester.
It will be difficult to go below Arsenal I guess (mathematically possible though)

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Spurs were very impressive against Palace, not performance wise but they weren't good in the first half and second half was also average but somehow they won the game. It's a sign of very good team, knowing how to win despite not playing well.

Also goal was one of the cleanest strike I have seen this season.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That's your problem though and where you really need to improve if you are realistic in winning the league. You have no problem putting away the 'lesser' sides (something United need to improve upon next season) but in the big games is where you always slip up. I think it might even be a mental thing at this point. When the pressure is on against the big teams Spurs always let themselves down.

So that's 2 wins out of your last 11 games against the big sides. That's what will prevent you winning the league every year until you improve that.
That's also a pretty cherry picked set of matches - Spurs have only played 4 of those 11 at White Hart Lane and 7 of them away. The way the fixture list has worked since the end of last season has Spurs basically constantly away to the "big" teams. Spurs get Arsenal and United at WHL to end this season, so it'll finally begin to even back out. You're also including cup matches which may or may be indicative of anything when it comes to winning the league (look at the team sheets for that league cup match between Spurs and Liverpool, both teams were basically bench squads).

Spurs @WHL against the "top 6" in 2015/16 and 2016/17 (in the league):

Spurs 4 - City 1
Spurs 0 - Liverpool 0
Spurs 0 - Chelsea 0
Spurs 2 - Arsenal 2
Spurs 3 - United 0
---
Spurs 1 - Liverpool 1
Spurs 2 - City 0
Spurs 2 - Chelsea 0

That's 4 wins and 4 draws in the last 8 league matches at home against the "top 6" - an excellent 2 points per match. Spurs problem is pretty much just playing the "top 6" away from WHL ... which is everyone else's problem as well.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Not sure this is as big a deal as everyone tries to act like it is.

The entire top 6 bar Liverpool struggle against each other and it's not like it's done Liverpool any good. Since you're saying it's mental does every side including Chelsea have a mental problem and the pressure lets them down as you've concluded?

The title is between Spurs and Chelsea and it's not like Chelsea went and blew their top 6 rivals away. In fact I don't believe they beat a top 6 rival away the entire season. In fact they actually managed to lose at home to one, something which Tottenham have yet to do.

This is the strangest fabrication of data that always gets pointed at Tottenham for some reason.

TheReligion

Abusive

I think that will happen..

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Impressive! They would deserve the title.

Bwuk

Chelsea will steam roll Everton and Arsenal will draw with Spurs.

I'm not against Spurs winning the league, it'd be nice to see one of the smaller sides win it for the second year in a row since we obviously won't.

Mana

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn't say 'Haha', the guy's in a bad way and could have lasting physical damage, and will certainly have lasting psychological damage.

Real shame, sounds like a good lad, hope he gets well soon.
I said "Haha, oh dear". Meaning half is sort of funny (because a Spurs fan thought he was harming a Chelsea fan) while, the other half "Oh dear" meaning I feel sympathetic for the person who was harmed. Hope that thug spends almost the rest of his life in prison.

But I'm honestly not surprised. After my experience with the Spurs fans 2 years ago in the League Cup Final with them (a guy attempting to attack my sister for simply saying "Best club in London!"), this isn't a surprise.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
9 league wins in a row. On 77 points now, again broken our record from the last game (74 points) for our highest ever PL points total ... and still with 4 games to go.

It very likely won't be enough to catch Chelsea, but then they've had the great league benefit of no European football.

Good to beat Arsenal in the final derby at WHL (could easily have been 4 - 0 or more) and most likely relegate them to Thursday night football next season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
9 league wins in a row. On 77 points now, again broken our record from the last game (74 points) for our highest ever PL points total ... and still with 4 games to go.

It very likely won't be enough to catch Chelsea, but then they've had the great league benefit of no European football.

Good to beat Arsenal in the final derby at WHL (could easily have been 4 - 0 or more) and most likely relegate them to Thursday night football next season.
Very proud of the way we keep going and getting the wins despite Chelsea grinding out those results. We may not win the league but the progress being made from last year's capitulation is superb.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Pochettino reminds me a lot of Sir Alex Ferguson. After last season, many would assume that Spurs would struggle to meet that same expectation, but he managed to motivate his player and perform even better.

This is what a team with great chemistry and balance looks like. I am looking forward to analyzing how he performs again next season and how he keep his team fresh and motivated. Wanyama has been a great addition for them and next season, I expect Pochettino to make another significant signing or promote a player that will garner many praise.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
United fans are much better than Spurs. Enjoy your new life in Wembley where you couldn't even beat fecking Genk.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
A lot to be impressed by over the past two days. Getting over the disappointment of the FA cup and then winning this game despite Chelsea comfortably winning what was realistically their last chance to drop points this season. I don't think previous teams would have done that.

I couldn't care less about Arsenal tbh, I just want us to finish as high and with as many points as possible.

And I can't believe I've already seen my last game at WHL. So sad. Just one left.

Status
Not open for further replies.