The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You have 27 shots and only 7 on target resulting in only one goal. Maybe your team have a problem and not think something like "but on another day bla bla bla?" I mean it's west ham lead by the legendary David Moyes. As gladston said before the match, a should win game.
Yeah clearly we should have won the game. We didn't. It happens - thats football. Still not sure how this in any way proves how Poch 'gets away with things Jose is accused of'.

Listar

Well obviously the standards are different at United vis a vis Spurs, nothing to be surprised about there. Spurs are an underdog club (compared to the competition) and will get easier treatment in the media, plus English players / London based etc bias. What's poor is United fans not understanding this and always moaning about the grass being greener on the other side. But that's got nothing to do with Spurs.
I don't agree. Before the season aren't they the title Challengers? You can't move the bar as it suits as the season goes on. And another arguement is how poch is better than mourinho by United fans. I failed to see that this season.

I understand if spurs fans say that and I think that's reasonable. But for United to say they want poch to replace mourinho do get on my nerves I'm sorry

James Peril

I did not lie - is a shot outside the box not a shot at goal? I said shots at goal NOT shots on target. Give me strength...
What are you talking about? A shot is either on goal/target - or it hits the post or goes out. Hitting the post is funnily enough not a shot on target. You had 17 shots in total, only 7 on target. Many of those «shots» does not count for anything, like Dier’s woeful attempt from distance which probably hit your new stadium. Either way, you did not have 27 shots.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't agree. Before the season aren't they the title
Challengers? You can't move the bar as it suits as the season goes on. And another arguement is how poch is better than mourinho by United fans
We should be title challengers - as should Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. Every team has so far failed in that respect apart from City who are walking the league. I wouldn't be using this as an argument to bash Spurs really as every other team I mentioned is in the same boat. Spurs at least can claim rightly to have been genuine title challengers in the last few seasons, something which Utd cant.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What are you talking about? A shot is either on goal/target - or it hits the post or goes out. Hitting the post is funnily enough not a shot on target. You had 17 shots in total, only 7 on target. Many of those «shots» does not count for anything, like Dier’s woeful attempt from distance which probably hit your new stadium. Either way, you did not have 27 shots.
Why do people post without reading what I said. I'll repeat it again and perhaps you will read it this time. 'I said shots at goal NOT shots on target'. My point was that we were by far the attacking side. You are getting worked up over nothing.

Listar

Yeah clearly we should have won the game. We didn't. It happens - thats football. Still not sure how this in any way proves how Poch 'gets away with things Jose is accused of'.
We have one game last season where we have an unbelievable number of shots, but didn't win, and mourinho got slaughtered. You have to admit spurs is below par so far this season, where the highest point is beating Real Madrid. They have a great team on paper, so if we do not put the blame on the manager then where does te buck stops?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We have one game last season where we have an unbelievable number of shots, but didn't win, and mourinho got slaughtered. You have to admit spurs is below par so far this season, where the highest point is beating Real Madrid. They have a great team on paper, so if we do not put the blame on the manager then where does te buck stops?
Poch is getting slaughtered by Spurs fans on forums because of the game - we can't control what the media do so shouldn't be judged on that - but the fans were furious.

Listar

We should be title challengers - as should Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. Every team has so far failed in that respect apart from City who are walking the league. I wouldn't be using this as an argument to bash Spurs really as every other team I mentioned is in the same boat. Spurs at least can claim rightly to have been genuine title challengers in the last few seasons, something which Utd cant.
No, I do not expect spurs to be near city the same as I do not expect united to be as city is having an unbelievable season. But with spurs current standing, that's not title challengers, 6 points behind united and not even in top 4.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No, I do not expect spurs to be near city the same as I do not expect united to be as city is having an unbelievable season. But with spurs current standing, that's not title challengers, 6 points behind united and not even in top 4.
Yeah but it's only January - let's wait till the end of the season to judge shall we? Plenty of ups and downs to come.

James Peril

Why do people post without reading what I said. I'll repeat it again and perhaps you will read it this time. 'I said shots at goal NOT shots on target'. My point was that we were by far the attacking side. You are getting worked up over nothing.
On the contrary; I just called your bluff about having "over 25 shots at goal", which you clearly did not have. You are the one choosing to further discuss the case when you only had seven shots on target as well as 10 off. That's 17, not over 25. Seven shots on target against West Ham is not particularly great either way.

Listar

Poch is getting slaughtered by Spurs fans on forums because of the game - we can't control what the media do so shouldn't be judged on that - but the fans were furious.
Fair enough. I'm more having a problem with united fans drooling on other teams and other managers than I have of spurs fan themselves. Especially after I had a look at the who should replace mourinho poll. :houllier:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
On the contrary; I just called your bluff about having "over 25 shots at goal", which you clearly did not have. You are the one choosing to further discuss the case when you only had seven shots on target as well as 10 off. That's 17, not over 25. Seven shots on target against West Ham is not particularly great either way.
If I was wrong on the over 25 comment then I apologise - I based that on what the commentator said during the match last night when I watched it.

James Peril

Yeah but it's only January - let's wait till the end of the season to judge shall we? Plenty of ups and downs to come.
Interestingly, this is exactly what United-fans said all of last season when we were always a nudge below the other teams chasing 4th. Of course things can change quickly, it's a matter of a few points, but we never fixed it and it does look difficult for you given the teams above you. I am not trying to have a cheap dig here, I hugely respect Tottenham and especially Harry Kane/Poch. The rest of the team is nothing special (as in better than United/Chelsea/Pool), but when you have Kane firing there is always a chance.

James C

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We are talking about the same West Ham team that beat Chelsea and drew with Arsenal recently.

When you consider that we don't have a proper home stadium this season it we are doing okay. Very much in the top 4 race and topped a difficult looking CL Group. Would like us to put out a strong side in the FA Cup though.

Boycott

With Dembele's legs waning I am very surprised Spurs are letting Barkley go to Chelsea.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
With Dembele's legs waning I am very surprised Spurs are letting Barkley go to Chelsea.
They probably don’t see Barkley as a “like for like” replacement for Dembele. I think they’ve already identified Winks as a potential CM replacement. Barkley would probably be more of a squad replacement for Sissoko or he could deputise for Eriksen/Alli, higher up the pitch.

I read £15m being quoted for Barkley versus iirc, £40m was the price in the summer. Shows you how his stock has since fallen.

Akshay

Staff
I don't agree. Before the season aren't they the title Challengers? You can't move the bar as it suits as the season goes on. And another arguement is how poch is better than mourinho by United fans. I failed to see that this season.
I wouldn't have considered Spurs as title challengers, no. Their goal was pretty much get top 4 again, and they might achieve that. Then again I don't consider Spurs to have really challenged for the title these previous years either, 2nd/3rd places notwithstanding. They've never been in the fight come April/May.

I think given the stadium move, they'd be happy with qualifying for CL as long (and this is a constant question hanging over Spurs) as they can keep their players over the summer window. Especially if Levy can show a little more ambition in the transfer market.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I am surprised too as we obviously like him a lot. Having said that - there are obviously massive concerns about his hamstring injury and unlike Chelsea we maybe thought we just couldn't take the chance - Chelsea can afford to take the hit but I don't think we can.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They probably don’t see Barkley as a “like for like” replacement for Dembele. I think they’ve already identified Winks as a potential CM replacement. Barkley would probably be more of a squad replacement for Sissoko or he could deputise for Eriksen/Alli, higher up the pitch.

I read £15m being quoted for Barkley versus iirc, £40m was the price in the summer. Shows you how his stock has since fallen.
That's more to do with there being less time left on his contract - and also the very serious injury being a bit of an unknown.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I wouldn't have considered Spurs as title challengers, no. Their goal was pretty much get top 4 again, and they might achieve that. Then again I don't consider Spurs to have really challenged for the title these previous years either, 2nd/3rd places notwithstanding. They've never been in the fight come April/May.

I think given the stadium move, they'd be happy with qualifying for CL as long (and this is a constant question hanging over Spurs) as they can keep their players over the summer window. Especially if Levy can show a little more ambition in the transfer market.
I'd agree with most of that - I think this summer will be a defining moment for the club.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That's more to do with there being less time left on his contract - and also the very serious injury being a bit of an unknown.
Yeah I was just over in the Barkley thread. Didn’t know about his injury or contract situation. Makes more sense now. I thought he was just massively out of favor, which was a surprise.

Boycott

I'm a Barkley fan and think his future is in central midfield. He has the drive and running power to grow into that role and with the right coach who can work on his overall game and particularly tap into his mental psyche I think he can be a class midfielder. He has the drive and running power to go with being a creative and technically gifted ball player. His talents are raw and need polishing but he's a talent worth to take a gamble on imo.

Barkley up to now has had the fortune of being an off-the-cuff player whose natural ability and instinct has taken him this far but with that has come some negatives. He's been allowed to coast at his boyhood club where he was the golden boy and this in turn develops bad habits such as dwelling on the ball and switching off. A change of environment where he is just another player will see him do well imo because he will be forced to adapt.

If I were Poch I'd be telling Levy to do the deal now because what's the worse that can happen. 15m in this market is little now and they can recoup that money even if he flops. The best case scenario is he thrives under Poch's guidance and can reach the heights once expected of him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm a Barkley fan and think his future is in central midfield. He has the drive and running power to grow into that role and with the right coach who can work on his overall game and particularly tap into his mental psyche I think he can be a class midfielder. He has the drive and running power to go with being a creative and technically gifted ball player. His talents are raw and need polishing but he's a talent worth to take a gamble on imo.

Barkley up to now has had the fortune of being an off-the-cuff player whose natural ability and instinct has taken him this far but with that has come some negatives. He's been allowed to coast at his boyhood club where he was the golden boy and this in turn develops bad habits such as dwelling on the ball and switching off. A change of environment where he is just another player will see him do well imo because he will be forced to adapt.

If I were Poch I'd be telling Levy to do the deal now because what's the worse that can happen. 15m in this market is little now and they can recoup that money even if he flops. The best case scenario is he thrives under Poch's guidance and can reach the heights once expected of him.
I think we have decided that we can't take the risk - the injury on his hamstring was extremely serious and there is no proof yet that he will fully recover. £15million may sound small but when you consider wages and agent fees you are talking a lot more than that - enough for a club like Spurs to have second thoughts. Chelsea are in the position to take a gamble like that, we can't. I suspect if we could have waited to the summer and had the chance to see him playing again then we would have been all in for him then, Chelsea are going for him now but it's too soon for us.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He has six months left on his contract. His stock hasn't fallen because of bad form, it's falled because you are buying him for 60% less time than you would have in the Summer.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He has six months left on his contract. His stock hasn't fallen because of bad form, it's falled because you are buying him for 60% less time than you would have in the Summer.
Sounds like he’s definitely off now then. Didn’t know his contract situation was that bad tbh Sarni.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

£15m in today’s market is a snip indeed.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think we have decided that we can't take the risk - the injury on his hamstring was extremely serious and there is no proof yet that he will fully recover. £15million may sound small but when you consider wages and agent fees you are talking a lot more than that - enough for a club like Spurs to have second thoughts. Chelsea are in the position to take a gamble like that, we can't. I suspect if we could have waited to the summer and had the chance to see him playing again then we would have been all in for him then, Chelsea are going for him now but it's too soon for us.
As risks go £15million for a potentially great player in this market is more than worthwhile. Is it to late or could Spurs possibly nip in with a late bid?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As risks go £15million for a potentially great player in this market is more than worthwhile. Is it to late or could Spurs possibly nip in with a late bid?
I think he's off to Chelsea. I am a bit gutted tbh as I like Barkley and think he would have been a great buy but I'm not privy to the detail and I'm sure there are good reasons why we have decided not to get him. I'd imagine it's the injury.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
West Ham were alright at the back last night and made things difficult for Spurs, but Spurs' lack of options on the bench were very, very noticeable. Obviously when players like Kane are performing that's not a problem...but it does mean that when they're needing some fresh ideas in a game and could do with a key sub coming on they don't really have any notable options as such.

ninjaskill

All these ones say 31 total shots with 8 of them on target so no idea where you got the 17 idea from

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...d-Premier-League-2017-2018-Tottenham-West-Ham
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42499236
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-west-ham-united-premier-league-match-report

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Pochettino is a great kid, good looking, too early to be tainted with any antics, very careful how he carries himself in front of the cameras, well dressed, very capable of developing young players, but, he is very naive when it comes to actual games, and for that reason he will never ever be a great manager. He is passive during the game and reacts very late when things not going well. At some point fans will lose their patience, if they have not already.

I get it why people want him at Utd, I was one of them too. But, he is proving he is not Jose or Pep material. Smart, but not genius. He might win a title in his career, but, he is not a serial winner. Jose had already CL and League titles under his belt at his age, same Pep.

finneh

I imagine the reason Barkley didn't move in the Summer was because Chelsea and his agent came to some sort of arrangement whereby because he wouldn't feature until January both Barkley and Chelsea would benefit from leaving it for 6 months.

I'd say it would have been something along the lines of £50k extra per week for 5 years (£12.5m) for Barkley and a £25m saving in transfer fee for Chelsea; effectively a 50/50 split. That being said I imagine Barkley will be earning £100k-150k per week which would put him outside of Spurs' budget.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah I'd say we have missed out on Ross, he will look well beside Drinkwater on their bench though.
Chelsea going for a scattergun approach of signing alright English players, next up Livermore and Milner.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Chelsea going for a scattergun approach of signing alright English players, next up Livermore and Milner.
I don't blame them it's the agent parasites that don't seem to care. I mean really they are intrested in Andy Carrol. From what I hear the reason we not perusing is due to his injury and the wages he is demanding.

acnumber9

Barkley has already turned down better wages at both Everton and Chelsea. Why? Because he wants to come to Spurs, play under Pochettino and believes he can/will break into our first XI.
Wages were the issue - I hear that he wanted a huge amount, more than Kane gets. Not surprisingly Spurs wouldn't go for this.
He’s obviously not been impressed by Pochettino in the last few months. Hard to blame him really given Spurs stagnation.

Status
Not open for further replies.