The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 101472

If spurs players are buying into the project, believing in something greater than a mega salary, then I have a lot of time and respect for that. Everything Harry Kane has done in the last two years just screams Florentino Perez and as mentioned, there’s barely been a rumour resembling anything even remotely concrete.

Poch

Supports
Spurs
They all get consistant game time at spurs. All solid first teamers. If any of them move elsewhere they could well find themselves down the pecking order. Perhaps this is the reason why they aren’t eyeing up big moves, Poch gives them first team football, even if they have bad patches.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I’m not saying some won’t want to move for wages, Walker did and Rose will. But players like Verts, Alderwield, Eriksen and Kane could easily increase their wages elsewhere and they will know this and have known it for a long time all I can say is they must believe in what Poch is doing. Not saying it won’t change in the future but the idea of a mass exodus next summer is unrealistic, it’s just my opinion.
It's what gets predicted on here regularly every year, going back several years, despite it never happening.

But in reality the last star player to be sold - indeed the last player to be sold that Spurs weren't happy enough to sell - was Bale .... and that was well over 4 years ago.

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Am seriously so astounded how Spurs players aren't kicking up a fuss over their (comparibly) meagre contracts vs what they could earn elsewhere if they were to join a top team. How does the club keep them so happy, not evev as if they are constantly winning!
Mostly because the contracts are nowhere near as meagre as is reported though it makes for a good story reporting baseline wages when Tottenham actually has a much more bonus incentivized pay structure than other Premier League clubs. Kane has earned significantly more than his reported £110k per week base wage.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It's what gets predicted on here regularly every year, going back several years, despite it never happening.

But in reality the last star player to be sold - indeed the last player to be sold that Spurs weren't happy enough to sell - was Bale .... and that was well over 4 years ago.
Yeah, so you're due a few then aren't you?

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

If Spurs were happy enough to sell their first choice right back in the summer, clearly strengthening a rival at the expense of their own team, then the club is even more stupid and small-time than anyone imagined.

I’ll give the club the benefit of the doubt and assume they weren’t at all happy about it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If Spurs were happy enough to sell their first choice right back in the summer, clearly strengthening a rival at the expense of their own team, then the club is even more stupid and small-time than anyone imagined.

I’ll give the club the benefit of the doubt and assume they weren’t at all happy about it.
Walker was being rotated more and more with Trippier, as the latter had improved under Poch.

Replacing Walker with Aurier and pocketing a net £27.5m? If that's your definition of "stupid", then Donald Trump is a liberal.

Hawks2008

Walker was being rotated more and more with Trippier, as the latter had improved under Poch.

Replacing Walker with Aurier and pocketing a net £27.5m? If that's your definition of "stupid", then Donald Trump is a liberal.
Selling the best fullback in the league and replacing him with a lesser player isn't smart either.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
tbf they did get what? 50mil for Kyle fecking Walker, in what world is Walker worth 50mil?

Apparently this one.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
78 posts and already Glaston MkII. Levy rules the world and the rest can just dance around the Tottenham Christmas tree. Where do you all come from?

If and when Madrid/Barca/PSG knocks on his bredroom door, offering zillions of balubas, nice weather, prestige, a new challange and most of all a chance of winnng something. Then you will see a young ambitious man changing his tune in no time. A wife who smells the glamour and a family who understands that’s this is a chance to good to reject. Supporters yes but regarding their sons future loyalty jumps out of the window. But .... until then I don’t want to spoil your party. Off course Harry Glorious Kane will be Spurs loyal until Glaston and you will retire in Spurs heaven. (the last part was a joke in case ..... )
Oh look because I have an opinion that Spurs won't sell their talisman I must be deluded. It's you who is deluded for thinking it's a foregone conclusion. Does Kane even want to play in Spain? As if Kane would move to PSG to waste away in that backwater league. Spurs won't sell to another rival PL club. The only time it becomes an issue is if Spurs regress to not being CL qualifiers and don't put in challenges. If Kane genuinely feels he can't win titles at Spurs. There is simply no amount of money Madrid could offer Spurs to make them countenance they sell their talisman. Spurs do not need Madrids money. You can keep wishing it all you want as a rival fan...it isn't happening in the next few seasons if ever.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham

The reality is Walker was tapped up and wanted the move. Pretty sure of it. Levy never sells key players unless they kick up a fuss about wanting to leave. So I think in the end we decided we'd have to cash in. Let's be clear though. Walker is the best RB in the league but he's not the reason they are winning the league. I don't think him leaving Spurs has made them much weaker either.

I don't think anyone is naive enoigh to think it won't happen again. With a key player wanting to leave. At the moment they all believe in the project. Whatever happens though, dreams of a mass exodus is just never going to happen.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

Walker was being rotated because he was on the way out and Poch had no choice but to start giving minutes to an inferior player in order to prepare him for the season ahead. It’s also normal to rotate full-backs in Spurs system, and something which has continued this season.

Yes, replacing better players with inferior ones is stupid, especially when you give the better player to a team who is supposed to be your rival.

My point is you did exactly what you claim Spurs no longer do - strengthened a rival by selling them one of your first team players. You just allowed them to massively upgrade a position they were weak in. The fee received is irrelevant (and not even that remarkable by 2017/18 standards) if he clearly improves their side.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Their star player. I’m sure that they’d have preferred to have kept him but he wanted to go.. just like Kane or Ali etc might decide at some point, especially if spurs don’t add trophies or poch leaves

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
The reality is Walker was tapped up and wanted the move. Pretty sure of it. Levy never sells key players unless they kick up a fuss about wanting to leave. So I think in the end we decided we'd have to cash in. Let's be clear though. Walker is the best RB in the league but he's not the reason they are winning the league. I don't think him leaving Spurs has made them much weaker either.

I don't think anyone is naive enoigh to think it won't happen again. With a key player wanting to leave. At the moment they all believe in the project. Whatever happens though, dreams of a mass exodus is just never going to happen.
I don’t think there will be a mass exodus at all.

I just think it’s naive to believe that Spurs don’t sell to ‘rivals’, when that very behaviour happened just a few months ago and has in someways contributed to the uncompetitve league we’re seeing now.

I think it’s true that Levy doesn’t sell unless the player kicks up a fuss to leave. But players who want to leave will kick up a fuss, whether publicly or privately.

FWIW, I think Kane will do at least another two or three seasons at Spurs. I wouldn’t be at all confident of keeping hold of the non-English players.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Walker was being rotated because he was on the way out and Poch had no choice but to start giving minutes to an inferior player in order to prepare him for the season ahead. It’s also normal to rotate full-backs in Spurs system, and something which has continued this season.

Yes, replacing better players with inferior ones is stupid, especially when you give the better player to a team who is supposed to be your rival.

My point is you did exactly what you claim Spurs no longer do - strengthened a rival by selling them one of your first team players. You just allowed them to massively upgrade a position they were weak in. The fee received is irrelevant (and not even that remarkable by 2017/18 standards) if he clearly improves their side.
You give two different explanations for Walker's rotation. First you say it's because he was on the way out ... but then you contradict yourself by saying that fullback rotation is normal at Spurs :lol:

The fact is that Aurier and Trippier are excellent rightback options ... and I doubt that any Spurs fan has especially bemoaned the lack of Walker.

Nor was the £50m fee received for Walker "irrelevant" - even after signing Aurier it covered the lion's share of fee for Sanchez, one of the most promising young CBs in Europe.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He has been one of City's best players and the best RB in the EPL by quite some distance. 50m well spent.
Hes been ok, but one of City's best players? KDB, Aguero, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Fernandinho have all been phenomenal this season. Id say Otamendi has been better than him if you are looking at just defenders.

Trippier who replaced him at Spurs has been has been doing well, 4 assists to his name same as Walker in 1080 mins compared to Walkers 1570mins for the same return. And similar defensive output as well.

I guess when u've got enough money to treat it like confetti like Cashiola does, it doesnt really matter you spent 50mil on Walker, you could have spent 100mil. I will concede Walker was an upgrade over what City currently had.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
You give two different explanations for Walker's rotation. First you say it's because he was on the way out ... but then you contradict yourself by saying that fullback rotation is normal at Spurs :lol:

The fact is that Aurier and Trippier are excellent rightback options ... and I doubt that any Spurs fan has especially bemoaned the lack of Walker.

Nor was the £50m fee received for Walker "irrelevant" - even after signing Aurier it covered the lion's share of fee for Sanchez, one of the most promising young CBs in Europe.
The point is you strengthened a rival by allowing them to buy a first teamer from you.

So to claim this hasn’t happened since Bale is laughable.

At least you sold Bale to Madrid! Walker is now playing every game for the champions elect.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The point is you strengthened a rival by allowing them to buy a first teamer from you.

So to claim this hasn’t happened since Bale is laughable.

At least you sold Bale to Madrid! Walker is now playing every game for the champions elect.
What I said was that we haven't sold a player since Bale that we weren't happy enough to sell. Spurs were OK with selling Walker for the reasons I've already given.

If it strengthens a rival then that rival also strengthened us, by giving us enough money to sign Aurier and pay for the lion's share of the fee for Sanchez. Aurier plus Sanchez minus Walker = a net strengthening of our squad.

Last edited:

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
What I said was that we have sold a player since Bale that we weren't happy enough to sell. Spurs were OK with selling Walker for the reasons I've already given.

If it strengthens a rival then that rival also strengthened us, by giving us enough money to sign Aurier and pay for the lion's share of the fee for Sanchez. Aurier plus Sanchez minus Walker = a net strengthening of our squad.
This backwards logic could be used to justify the sale of any of your players.

We can essentially assume any Spurs can be sold if their sale can be offset with two signings.

Even if one of those signings is a fairly substantial downgrade on the player whose position they’re replacing.

I’m pretty certain this is how you justified the Bale sale at the time too. That you’d strengthened yourself with 7 signings or whatever it was. That went great too.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This backwards logic could be used to justify the sale of any of your players.

We can essentially assume any Spurs can be sold if their sale can be offset with two signings.

Even if one of those signings is a fairly substantial downgrade on the player whose position they’re replacing.

I’m pretty certain this is how you justified the Bale sale at the time too. That you’d strengthened yourself with 7 signings or whatever it was. That went great too.
No, it's not about the number of signings - it's about the quality of them and how much they strengthen the options in a particular role-area. Aurier is a good quality RB and Sanchez has generally been great for us so far - he's one of the top young CB-prospects in Europe.

You can carp away all you like, but most Spurs fans are happy with the effective trade of Walker for Aurier + Sanchez. And despite all the predictions to the contrary we have kept all of our current star players, of which Walker was not one.

PS. Included amongst the Bale-money signings was Eriksen who has become a key player for us.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No, it's not about the number of signings - it's about the quality of them and how much they strengthen the options in a particular role-area. Aurier is a good quality RB and Sanchez has generally been great for us so far - he's one of the top young CB-prospects in Europe.

You can carp away all you like, but most Spurs fans are happy with the effective trade of Walker for Aurier + Sanchez. And despite all the predictions to the contrary we have kept all of our current star players, of which Walker was not one.

PS. Included amongst the Bale-money signings was Eriksen who has become a key player for us.
Disagree.

Spurs have looked a far weaker outfit at the back this season in comparison to previous seasons in which they were largely dominant. The sale of Walker has clearly had an adverse affect on their backline. Aurier is battling for a starting spot with the likes of Trippier. No such battle would exist between Trippier and Walker, the latter is a far more influential player.

Even you must admit that the sale of Walker (the best right-back in the league) to a major league in rival was a mistake by the club. By conclusion I feel it is safe to assume the likes Alli, Eriksen & Kane (:drool:) are also up for sale for the right price.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Disagree.

Spurs have looked a far weaker outfit at the back this season in comparison to previous seasons in which they were largely dominant. The sale of Walker has clearly had an adverse affect on their backline. Aurier is battling for a starting spot with the likes of Trippier. No such battle would exist between Trippier and Walker, the latter is a far more influential player.

Even you must admit that the sale of Walker (the best right-back in the league) to a major league in rival was a mistake by the club. By conclusion I feel it is safe to assume the likes Alli, Eriksen & Kane (:drool:) are also up for sale for the right price.
In previous seasons we were playing home games at WHL, this season we aren't. And last season we were in the EL, this season we are in the CL, which means less good opportunity to rest and rotate players because the competition is far more important. Plus Alderweireld has been out injured for some time now, unlike last season. All three of these factors have had a bearing on our defensive record ... the departure of Walker has had little or nothing to do with it.

As I've said the club was happy enough to effectively swap Walker for Aurier and Sanchez.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs have looked a far weaker outfit at the back this season in comparison to previous seasons in which they were largely dominant.
Alderweireld has been injured, and just like last season when he was missing (CL group stage) - Spurs defence has looked much weaker without him. He's our version of Kompany of a few years ago, he makes everyone around him so much better in the back. Wanyama has been out all season as well, and he was immense last year.

Hopefully with both of them coming back soon, Spurs will tighten back up.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In previous seasons we were playing home games at WHL, this season we aren't. And last season we were in the EL, this season we are in the CL, which means less good opportunity to rest and rotate players because the competition is far more important. Plus Alderweireld has been out injured for some time now, unlike last season. All three of these factors have had a bearing on our defensive record ... the departure of Walker has had little or nothing to do with it.

As I've said the club was happy enough to effectively swap Walker for Aurier and Sanchez.
Nothing to do with it at all? Walker has been the best right-back in the league for a number of years now. Any team would miss his presence in the lineup to some extent. Spurs' defensive frailties this season would reflect that.

The fact that Walker wanted out left Levy with very little options regards his feelings on the matter.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Sometimes I think Glaston gets undue stick on here but then I see arguments like this. Mental gymnastics on display to refuse to concede a point on internet. Beyond pathetic.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Sometimes I think Glaston gets undue stick on here but then I see arguments like this. Mental gymnastics on display to refuse to concede a point on internet. Beyond pathetic.
The simple point is that Aurier + Sanchez are worth more to Spurs than Walker, especially given that we already had Trippier.

No "mental gymnastics" are required, but they are required by those who try the argue the opposite.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
The simple point is that Aurier + Sanchez are worth more to Spurs than Walker, especially given that we already had Trippier.

No "mental gymnastics" are required, but they are required by those who try the argue the opposite.
To be fair I think Trippier has failed to step up and I sense that Poch has lost faith in him. I believe Aurier will start more key games from now on. Aurier's ceiling is far higher than Trippiers but Aurier does keep making stupid mistakes that almost cost us goals.

The fact is both are currently operating a level below Walker.

Trippier can deliver a ball well and has an eye for a pass but in all other aspects particularly physically and defensively he is generally poor. Don't be surprised to see Trippier leave in the next two windows.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Nothing to do with it at all? Walker has been the best right-back in the league for a number of years now. Any team would miss his presence in the lineup to some extent. Spurs' defensive frailties this season would reflect that.

The fact that Walker wanted out left Levy with very little options regards his feelings on the matter.
I dont think you can look at their defensive frailties in a microcosm and attribute it all to Walker. They have been missing Wanlama who was a powerhouse in that midfield destroyer role screening the CB's, Dire has been at CB because Alderweird has been out injured, granted Dire is an ok CB, but you are talking about arguably the best CB in the league that he is replacing.

I totally agree that once Walker had his head turned that was it. It was up to Levy to get the best deal for the club at that point finance wise. As he was not going to match the wages City were offering.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
To be fair I think Trippier has failed to step up and I sense that Poch has lost faith in him. I believe Aurier will start more key games from now on. Aurier's ceiling is far higher than Trippiers but Aurier does keep making stupid mistakes that almost cost us goals.

The fact is both are currently operating a level below Walker.

Trippier can deliver a ball well and has an eye for a pass but in all other aspects particularly physically and defensively he is generally poor. Don't be surprised to see Trippier leave in the next two windows.
Has Trippier been all that bad? I havnt watched enough of either player directly to get a good idea but the stats are pretty close.

Walker stats/game PL
mins 1574
tackles 1.6
intercepts 0.7
clearances 1.9
beaten 0.2
blocked shots ot 0.1
assists 4
key passes 0.7
successful dribbles 0.6
dispossessed 0.6
bad touches/control 1
crosses 0.2
passes 72.6
pass accuracy 88%

Trippier stats/game PL
mins 1084
tackles 2.4
intercepts 0.6
clearances 2.2
beaten 1.2
blocked shots ot 0.3
assists 4
key passes 2
successful dribbles 0.4
dispossessed 0.5
bad touches/control 0.6
crosses 1.2
passes 54.5
pass accuracy 81.5%

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Trippier hasn't been bad it's just he has one major weakness which will always hold him back. He can't defend against those tricky wingers like the Zaha's or Martial's.

Whenever we face this type of player on Trippier's side he has an awful game mostly because he's scared stiff. Pochettino's way of playing doesn't allow for us to compensate by doubling up on his side so he's left 1v1 all game and just looks exposed.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I'm actually going to agree with Glaston on this one. Walker us a great right back but mostly because of his attacking ability. We have lost a bit from selling him but the main reason we are letting more goals in is because Wanyama and Toby are injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.