The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm actually going to agree with Glaston on this one. Walker us a great right back but mostly because of his attacking ability. We have lost a bit from selling him but the main reason we are letting more goals in is because Wanyama and Toby are injured.
Losing Wanyama and Alderwelderedreldedi is going to have a significant impact on your backline for sure, one is a top class DM and the other is arguably the prems most consistent center back. Let's not forget Danny Rose, whose injury and poor attitude has also played a part. Combine the loss of the above 3 with the sale of Walker and it's obvious you would struggle to some extent. Although I have noticed vast improvements of late in practically every area of the pitch regards Spurs form. A world class striker whom seemingly scores goals for fun tends to have a postive affect on his team mates. United are currently lacking such inspiration.

Also, like a poster said above, getting Glaston to concede a point (like the one you conceded in your post) is half the battle in this thread. Fun too.

@vadimivich @Scroto Baggins

Last edited:

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Wanyama is back in full training and Alderweireld will be back this month. Getting those back will be a huge boost.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Regardless of the impact you think Walker’s departure has had (it’s clearly had some negative impact on Spurs and a large impact in helping a rival), the wider point is that Spurs will sell first team players if (a) the price is right and (b) replacements can be sourced (even if they are not immediately better than the departing player).

This does not mean there will be a huge exodus at Spurs. It simply means no one should be surprised to see any other Spurs first teamer playing their football elsewhere in the next couple of seasons.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Regardless of the impact you think Walker’s departure has had (it’s clearly had some negative impact on Spurs and a large impact in helping a rival), the wider point is that Spurs will sell first team players if (a) the price is right and (b) replacements can be sourced (even if they are not immediately better than the departing player).

This does not mean there will be a huge exodus at Spurs. It simply means no one should be surprised to see any other Spurs first teamer playing their football elsewhere in the next couple of seasons.
I get where you're coming from, but the idea is that since we don't have unlimited funds then the money we got from Walker was judged to make us a better team than keeping him. You can argue this is not true, but I think that's the logic behind the sale.

Maybe the money we got allowed us to get Davidson Sanchez for example, and will ultimately be better than keeping Walker.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So Mail reporting that Kane will be offered 200K a week. That's a major turnaround in their wage structure. Had to happen, now they can maybe keep that squad together.

PoTMS

So Mail reporting that Kane will be offered 200K a week. That's a major turnaround in their wage structure. Had to happen, now they can maybe keep that squad together.
Too right. Him and Eriksen deserve a lot more than they currently get, considering how valuable they are to the team, particularly Kane. Without the pair of them, they’re midtable quality.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
About time, I dont think it has to be on par with other clubs star players, just in the ball park to keep the Spurs stars happy.

I was actually watching them the other day and got to thinking what are they missing? They have arguably one of the hardest things to acquire, a world class striker that will guarantee you 20+ goals a season.

They have a solid defence with arguably the best CB in the league in Alderweireld alongside Vertonghen who has always been dependable. The midfield with Wanyama, Dembele/Dier is powerful and creativity from deep with Winks.

Maybe a tad slow up top, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane, no real pace there. Son is nippy, but really the only one out of all of their attacking players with some pace.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not surprised tbh. We simply have to pay him what he deserves. I think the entire club will transform in the next year or two re: wage structure and transfer fees paid.

KentSpurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Another big game tonight and one which we should win.

We've played West Ham twice this season with both games ending in 5 goal thrillers.

Kane should start again after Tuesday night and it looks like Wanyama will feature too.

TheReligion

Abusive
Joe Cole calling it again tonight.

If no silverware a few gems on their way over the summer? You only get one career.

James Peril

The level of bitterness Glaston brought on here almost singlehandly is astonishing :lol:
It really is, he should turn to politics for a small party immediately. Or become a communications manager for a company that manufactures dodgy products, he’d always manage to argue is favor of something regardless of facts and popular opinion.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Joe Cole calling it again tonight.

If no silverware a few gems on their way over the summer? You only get one career.
I can see Rose, Toby and Dier moving on next summer tbh unless we go far in Champions League. The rest I think will stay for another couple of years. This was always going to be a really tough season for us with the Wembley move.

AR87

I can see Rose, Toby and Dier moving on next summer tbh unless we go far in Champions League. The rest I think will stay for another couple of years.
I think Toby is gone. As good as he is I feel at his age and for the fee he would likely command it's setup for Levy to extract a monster sum to reinvest into the squad. I see him and Rose leaving this summer for major fees. If Tottenham are smart with their re-investment I feel it can benefit them.

Javi

I got the impression Eriksen hasn't been offering much the last few weeks. Can put the odd freekick or cross in, but in game I mostly noticed him losing the ball (like him (unsuccesfully) trying to make a flashy outside-of-the-boot first touch). Hold up play, physicality and dribbling seem mediocre

Rajma

I got the impression Eriksen hasn't been offering much the last few weeks. Can put the odd freekick or cross in, but in game I mostly noticed him losing the ball (like him (unsuccesfully) trying to make a flashy outside-of-the-boot first touch). Hold up play, physicality and dribbling seem mediocre
For the money he's getting paid at Spurs he can only think about the World Cup now.

RooneyLegend

They should do all they can to keep Kane and Toby, everyone else isn't that level of player and is easily replaceable.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
I struggle to find more irrelevant parameters for a playmaker. Maybe aerial duels and tackles?

CA1

Always surprises me when people say that Pochettino plays more like the traditional United style. Because he doesn't.

I like Pochettino and admire they way Tottenham have gone about things the last few years but it's not what I'd call United football at all.

Slow, narrow, overly possession oriented, not enough flair or players playing off the cuff and away from a set framework. Definitley not eough pace, trickery and running in behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Always surprises me when people say that Pochettino plays more like the traditional United style. Because he doesn't.

I like Pochettino and admire they way Tottenham have gone about things the last few years but it's not what I'd call United football at all.

Slow, narrow, overly possession oriented, not enough flair or players playing off the cuff and away from a set framework. Definitley not eough pace, trickery and running in behind.
Very true.

He can be conservative too when necessary. It's just the grass being always greener on the other side for many.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Has to happen. Good for Spurs and Kane.

I'm not surprised tbh. We simply have to pay him what he deserves. I think the entire club will transform in the next year or two re: wage structure and transfer fees paid.
Yes. He is a superstar in the making, if not already. He needs to be paid relative to this.

Spurs will evolve and will start paying much better for their top players. They simply have no choice, and I think they have the means.

Listar

Too right. Him and Eriksen deserve a lot more than they currently get, considering how valuable they are to the team, particularly Kane. Without the pair of them, they’re midtable quality.
Aren't they midtable now? Or have the bar been lowered that 6th position is not midtable anymore?

Listar

Wow Spurs really are the media darling of football. After a drab 1-1 draw against West Ham, it is West Ham that got criticised for playing boring football. And right at the end they even managed to make a table with Spurs on top. Seriously, you have to give kudos to them for putting so much effort to make spurs champions of something. Maybe we can make that a trophy for them.

GM K

It baffles me when some United fans say they will take Poch over Jose. Yesterday's game once again said it all. Many managers get away with the very things Jose is accused of.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It baffles me when some United fans say they will take Poch over Jose. Yesterday's game once again said it all. Many managers get away with the very things Jose is accused of.
Not sure what you mean by that - West Ham had 10 players behind the ball the entire match and scored from pretty much their only shot - Spurs had over 25 shots at goal and we were the only team actually trying to win the game. On another day we would have had 2 penalties and probably a few more goals. Yes Poch probably could have made a few changes earlier in the match but other than that not sure what more we could have done.

Bojan11

Why were the commentators banging on about 2 games in 3 days?

We had to play Saturday and Monday like many other teams. Spurs had a favourable fixtures considering they had a weeks rest between their first and second game.

James Peril

Not sure what you mean by that - West Ham had 10 players behind the ball the entire match and scored from pretty much their only shot - Spurs had over 25 shots at goal and we were the only team actually trying to win the game. On another day we would have had 2 penalties and probably a few more goals. Yes Poch probably could have made a few changes earlier in the match but other than that not sure what more we could have done.
You don't have to lie though, you did not have 25 shots at goal. You had 7, as well as a huge amount of hopeful shots from outside the box - one which ironically went in.

GM K

Kudos to Spurs. My post was not to criticize but to emphasize the double standards we have at times. In the Sours game against West Ham, many people would give WH credit for playing so well. But flip the Spurs jerseys to red and black and you will start reading about how Jose has failed to set up his team well for attacking and how he is not getting the best from his players and how his team cannot break down tight defences and how he should be replaced by Poch.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You don't have to lie though, you did not have 25 shots at goal. You had 7, as well as a huge amount of hopeful shots from outside the box - one which ironically went in.
I did not lie - is a shot outside the box not a shot at goal? I said shots at goal NOT shots on target. Give me strength...

Akshay

Staff
Kudos to Spurs. My post was not to criticize but to emphasize the double standards we have at times. In the Sours game against West Ham, many people would give WH credit for playing so well. But flip the Spurs jerseys to red and black and you will start reading about how Jose has failed to set up his team well for attacking and how he is not getting the best from his players and how his team cannot break down tight defences and how he should be replaced by Poch.
Well obviously the standards are different at United vis a vis Spurs, nothing to be surprised about there. Spurs are an underdog club (compared to the competition) and will get easier treatment in the media, plus English players / London based etc bias. What's poor is United fans not understanding this and always moaning about the grass being greener on the other side. But that's got nothing to do with Spurs.

Listar

I did not lie - is a shot outside the box not a shot at goal? I said shots at goal NOT shots on target. Give me strength...
You have 27 shots and only 7 on target resulting in only one goal. Maybe your team have a problem and not think something like "but on another day bla bla bla?" I mean it's west ham lead by the legendary David Moyes. As gladston said before the match, a should win game.

Status
Not open for further replies.