The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

I've already cited Sanchez, who a host of big European clubs wanted. That was last summer - or is that too long ago for you?
If you're going to take Sanchez's claims at face value then you also have to accept that he stated that he only chose Tottenham because he didn't think he'd get the game time at a bigger club. There's nothing in the public domain to suggest he had a better offer there that he turned down to join Spurs.

No ones disputing that Tottenham can buy good players, but you simply haven't pointed to any examples of Spurs signing players who had significantly better offers to go elsewhere.

AdSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Strange argument. I think most spurs fan already know that if we are looking to purchase an established player 22/23+ and one of Chelsea/city/united/Arsenal come in for that player then it is highly unlikely we will get that player in a like for like scenario. We currently cant compete on a wages level, or despite doing well the last couple of years on a performance level (yet!). We target younger players with growing reputations that these teams are not ready to take a punt on yet or look for prem players from lesser established teams to move us forward. That may change in a few years once the stadium is less of a financial burden and if we continue to do well in the prem/CL so we can increase our wage structure but far from guaranteed. The only one of the historic "big" teams we have been able to compete with previously was Liverpool a few years back, but even that was prior to the stadium and the silly TV monies we see now and as a spurs fan I don't mind that, I enjoy seeing younger players brought in and hopefully develop into top class players.

In terms of Barkley, its the media who drove the interest from spurs and suggested he didn't sign for Chelsea as he was waiting for this supposed offer. Personally I always considered due to his injury he was looking for a lower fee in Jan/summer with a higher salary or signing on fee as the transfer fee would be less and while it would be nice to think he may look at the spurs team and think he is more likely to be able to influence a starting position then in the Chelsea team I don't think any right minded spurs fan would honestly think in a straight up battle with the aforementioned clubs where they can just offer more money that the player would turn it down to join. Willan and Hazard was a couple of example of this in recent years.

acnumber9

Lol ... as I've said, take a look at our squad-roster and history of attracting talented players.

It seems to me that you are the one posturing - or tying yourself in contorted knots more like - in trying to make out that Spurs are not an attractive destination.
You were the one that claimed Barkley wanted to sign for Spurs for less money than offered elsewhere. Reality didn’t match your claim.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If you're going to take Sanchez's claims at face value then you also have to accept that he stated that he only chose Tottenham because he didn't think he'd get the game time at a bigger club. There's nothing in the public domain to suggest he had a better offer there that he turned down to join Spurs.

No ones disputing that Tottenham can buy good players, but you simply haven't pointed to any examples of Spurs signing players who had significantly better offers to go elsewhere.
"Better offers" includes game time, location and the chances to develop as a player. In other words, Sanchez looked at all the offers on the table, wages and all, and chose to join Spurs ahead of some big European clubs ... that's the bottom line.

prath92

"Better offers" includes game time, location and the chances to develop as a player. In other words, Sanchez looked at all the offers on the table, wages and all, and chose to join Spurs ahead of some big European clubs ... that's the bottom line.
Which clubs? You bought Sanchez in mid august. United bought lindelof in June, City were never linked to anyone other than Evans. Chelsea bought Rudiger in July, Liverpool always went for vvd or nothing, arsenal were never in for a CB even after Gabriel left. PSG, Real and Barca never were in for a CB. Juventus didn’t seem interested in a CB too.

So not really seeing which top European clubs seriously wanted Sánchez and then he chose spurs instead.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Which clubs? You bought Sanchez in mid august. United bought lindelof in June, City were never linked to anyone other than Evans. Chelsea bought Rudiger in July, Liverpool always went for vvd or nothing, arsenal were never in for a CB even after Gabriel left. PSG, Real and Barca never were in for a CB. Juventus didn’t seem interested in a CB too.

So not really seeing which top European clubs seriously wanted Sánchez and then he chose spurs instead.
http://www.90min.com/posts/5469159-...ected-la-liga-giants-barca-in-favour-of-spurs

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This proves just one thing. That his ultimate goal is move to a bigger club with Spurs as a stepping stone.
It shows he had a choice and chose Spurs:

"For me, Barcelona has always been one pf the best in the world but the conditions I was going to arrive to were not the best. Luckily, a decision was taken based on football, not on marketing."

James C

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
History.

Unless you can provide evidence to the contrary of course.
Gareth Bale chose Tottenham over United all them years ago. As for Liverpool and Arsenal, other than wages I don't see either of them teams being a much bigger draw for a player than Spurs.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Gareth Bale chose Tottenham over United all them years ago. As for Liverpool and Arsenal, other than wages I don't see either of them teams being a much bigger draw for a player than Spurs.
Perhaps I should have added "bar the rare exception" to my initial post. Bale chose Spurs because he knew his chances of first team football were all but guaranteed. At United he would have had to do battle with the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez. He clearly wasn't up for the fight.

Regardless, for every footballer that chose Spurs over United, there are 100 others going the opposite way. You will likely not hear of those due to Spurs somewhat reluctantly choosing not to become involved in a player that United have shown the slightest interest in, at least those of an establised nature anyway. Spurs cannot compete with United on transfer fees or wages, any attempt to do so would amount to nothing more than a fruitless endeavour.

acnumber9

Are we ignoring the fact that Alex Ferguson said Southampton never responded to Utd’s bid for Bale?

The Swellhead

Eriksen picked Spurs over City when Mancini was in charge

Llorente picked them over Chelsea

Vertonghen picked them over Arsenal

Sanchez picked Ajax over Barcelona

Stop generalising every player, they all have different lives and preferences that suit their lifestyles.

They are the best option out of the top six for top young players, they aren't a joke of a club that some of you are making out.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Many of the recent posts in this thread are so small-time. Some opposition fans seem desperate to try and "prove" that Spurs are not a big club and struggle to attract talented players.

acnumber9

Many of the recent posts in this thread are so small-time. Some opposition fans seem desperate to try and "prove" that Spurs are not a big club and struggle to attract talented players.
No, just pointing out nonsense. You’re quick to chime in whenever Utd fans talk about how attractive they are to players.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No, just pointing out nonsense. You’re quick to chime in whenever Utd fans talk about how attractive they are to players.
I have never said that United aren't attractive to players.

acnumber9

I have never said that United aren't attractive to players.
I never said you did. Are you claiming you don’t often chime in to say Utd aren’t as attractive a proposition as some think?

This reminds of me of when you told us all that Spurs were such an attractive proposition that Jaden Sancho was signing for Spurs despite being offered more elsewhere too. Is he close to breaking into your first team yet?

James Peril

Still you come here every day, on the forum of another football club, to «prove» the opposite like it’s a personal battle. If you’re such a big club, you wouldn’t be this active in the debate would you? A trophy would be so, so good for your mental health.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Stop generalising every player, they all have different lives and preferences that suit their lifestyles.

They are the best option out of the top six for top young players, they aren't a joke of a club that some of you are making out.
No one said they were a joke of a club, you just randomly suggested that we did. Please do not make unsubstantiated claims.

If it came down to a straight up dogfight between Spurs and United chasing the same player, the likelihood is that United would come out on top. In most cases.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I never said you did. Are you claiming you don’t often chime in to say Utd aren’t as attractive a proposition as some think?

This reminds of me of when you told us all that Spurs were such an attractive proposition that Jaden Sancho was signing for Spurs despite being offered more elsewhere too. Is he close to breaking into your first team yet?
Yes, because it's true with regard to some United fans on here: those who pretty much claim they can sign any player from Spurs they want.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Spurs do not possess the means with which to compete with United in the transfer market.

That's not small time (although it could be implied as such in a manner of speaking) it is simply fact.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Still you come here every day, on the forum of another football club, to «prove» the opposite like it’s a personal battle. If you’re such a big club, you wouldn’t be this active in the debate would you? A trophy would be so, so good for your mental health.
Seems to me that you're the one with the personal battle ... given how often you chime in to comment about my posting on here.

Losing this obsession would be so, so good for your mental health.

rique_don

Spurs aren't a big club. The truth is, maybe just maybe, the Premier League is also a major attraction for players also. I don't know which player bar Bale has joined Spurs instead of Man United.

acnumber9

Yes, because it's true with regard to some United fans on here: those who pretty much claim they can sign any player from Spurs they want.
And it’s true that you posture about how much of a draw Spurs are and are then left to look like a fool. Which has happened twice in the last few months.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Spurs do not possess the means with which to compete with United in the transfer market.

That's not small time (although it could be implied as such in a manner of speaking) it is simply fact.
We don't need to compete with United in the transfer market: the last several years of transfers show that we're fine pursuing our own targets and are more than content to leave United chasing big names for big money.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
And it’s true that you posture about how much of a draw Spurs are and are then left to look like a fool. Which has happened twice in the last few months.
Lol .... because a couple of players chose to sign elsewhere? Again, it's just more small-time stuff: there is no club in the world who manage to sign every player they enquire after.

You'd be better off looking at those who have signed for us, rather than those who haven't.

acnumber9

Eriksen turned down City the year before. They didn’t try to sign him the same time Spurs did.

Vertonghen signed for Spurs because Arsenal wanted to play him in midfield.

You contradict yourself a little in that last sentence. Nobody is saying they’re a joke of a club. Just that they can’t sign players being offered more elsewhere as was claimed.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We don't need to compete with United in the transfer market: the last several years of transfers show that we're fine pursuing our own targets and are more than content to leave United chasing big names for big money.
Sorry I thought this was about footballers deciding to ply their trade at Spurs rather United, Liverpool, City etc.

But I guess you cannot win that debate so you chose to change the direction of the thread. Fine by me.

acnumber9

Lol .... because a couple of players chose to sign elsewhere? Again, it's just more small-time stuff: there is no club in the world who manage to sign every player they enquire after.

You'd be better off looking at those who have signed for us, rather than those who haven't.
You can address the fact you were wrong or keep going round in circles creating arguments that were never made. It’s not about not being able to sign every player, it’s you acting like Spurs are so great that they operate outside the norm when it comes to signing players. A claim that has been made by you twice in the last few months and have turned out to be fantasy.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Countless players pick Spurs over bigger clubs. Young players that want playing time; and players that feel that they are not ready for a big move will chose Spurs. Top players do not prefer Spurs over other clubs like United, Chelsea, City. Because top players want money and trophies, neither of which they will get at Spurs. The only exception are players that are local.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Sorry I thought this was about footballers deciding to ply their trade at Spurs rather United, Liverpool, City etc.

But I guess you cannot win that debate so you chose to change the direction of the thread. Fine by me.
Lol ... you were the one who said "Spurs do not possess the means with which to compete with United in the transfer market." I simply replied to the thread direction you instigated.

cyberman

So you're saying if we ignore everybody you failed to sign and focus on who you did sign, that means you're a huge draw because who you couldn't sign doesn't really count?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Lol ... you were the one who said "Spurs do not possess the means with which to compete with United in the transfer market." I simply replied to the thread direction you instigated.
I never instigated anything, I simply picked up the baton that another poster kindly left behind.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I never instigated anything, I simply picked up the baton that another poster kindly left behind.
Alright, so you continued with the direction set by someone else and - contrary to your claim - not me.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So you're saying if we ignore everybody you failed to sign and focus on who you did sign, that means you're a huge draw because who you couldn't sign doesn't really count?
I haven't said that Spurs are a "huge draw". I simply maintain that we are:

* An attractive club who generally have little trouble attracting talented players - as a glance at the list of arriving players over the years clearly shows.

* Don't need to compete in the transfer market with clubs that chase big names for big money.

I entirely fail to see why these simple propositions attracts so more angst, ire and small-time criticism from some opposition fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.