Music The Strokes

Brophs

The One and Only
Any fans on here?

I know it's become somewhat uncool to like them, being a 'rich kids hair band' and all, but they're one of my favourite bands. At the moment they're recording their new album, which I can't wait for. Rumour also has it that they've more or less knocked the drugs on the head too, which might make for a few less shambolic live shows.

gaffs

Great Band. I have seen them live a few times and always enjoyed it.

This Is It is such a good album.

Julian Casablancas is releasing a solo album in a couple of weeks.

Brophs

The One and Only
At the risk of sounding like a total and utter cnut, I only really liked their early stuff.
Nah, it's a fair comment, I'd say. The earlier stuff was better, but I'd still rate the last album as better than most out there, just not as good as their first two, particularly the first.

But I defy anyone with a few drinks in not to start dancing to Last Nite. And I really can't feckin' dance.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Don't they only have two albums?
3 albums, many other classic LPs

My favourite band behind the doors and the smiths, absolute legends. Julian Casablancas is one of the classiest front men in rock music at the moment.

Alongside brophs' songs that are the most known ones, here are my 3 favourites

Ize of the world

Hawaii (if you're in the UK where the sky is dark and the grass is kinda green you know like central park...)

Trying your luck

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nah, it's a fair comment, I'd say. The earlier stuff was better, but I'd still rate the last album as better than most out there, just not as good as their first two, particularly the first.

But I defy anyone with a few drinks in not to start dancing to Last Nite. And I really can't feckin' dance.
An absolute belter of an album.

And an album in the proper sense. At it's best listened to from start to finish, rather than as a disparate bunch of MP3s.

gaffs

3 albums, many other classic LPs

My favourite band behind the doors and the smiths, absolute legends. Julian Casablancas is one of the classiest front men in rock music at the moment.

Alongside brophs' songs that are the most known ones, here are my 3 favourites

Ize of the world

Hawaii (if you're in the UK where the sky is dark and the grass is kinda green you know like central park...)

Trying your luck
Trying your luck is such a good tune.

Im going to listen to "Is This It" now - for about the millionth time.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
okay i'm sorry i meant EP as in single (if it's also different then i'm lost), notably EP b-sides like Hawaii (if b-side does mean a song that is included on an EP but as a secondary work)

gaffs said:
Trying your luck is such a good tune.

Im going to listen to "Is This It" now - for about the millionth time.
class tune indeed, the two others are growers, at first seem average but then very good

on a sidenote, julian casablancas released his first single out of his solo album days ago on his myspace, a rather average tune in my book but give it a go if you wish, apparently he seeks to blend some classical music in his trademark indie style Julian Casablancas on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
An EP's not the same as a single though.

Is there even an acronym for singles? Maybe SP?
No, they're just called singles. I only mentioned EPs incase that's what Naninana was on about.

okay i'm sorry i meant EP as in single (if it's also different then i'm lost), notably EP b-sides like Hawaii (if b-side does mean a song that is included on an EP but as a secondary work)
No need to apologize, we don't discriminate here.

Singles are usually one song per side, A-side and B-side.
EPs will have at least 3 or 4 songs but fewer than 8
LPs are your standard 8-10 or more albums.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
No, they're just called singles. I only mentioned EPs incase that's what Naninana was on about.

I didn't know that, cheers

gaffs

An absolute belter of an album.

And an album in the proper sense. At it's best listened to from start to finish, rather than as a disparate bunch of MP3s.
Definatly. You cant say that about many these days.

Listen to Room on Fire if you can. Not as good as This is It, but its a good album with some cracking tunes.

Last impression of Earth was poor, imo. The first 3 songs are great though.

gaffs

on a sidenote, julian casablancas released his first single out of his solo album days ago on his myspace, a rather average tune in my book but give it a go if you wish, apparently he seeks to blend some classical music in his trademark indie style Julian Casablancas on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Yeah, i mentioned earlier in the thread he was releasing an album but didnt want to mention the single, 11th Dimension, because i think its a bit shit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Definatly. You cant say that about many these days.

Listen to Room on Fire if you can. Not as good as This is It, but its a good album with some cracking tunes.

Last impression of Earth was poor, imo. The first 3 songs are great though.
Yeah, agree with that. I've got all their albums and they're all good in their own way but "Is That It" stands out as one of my all time favourites.

Room on Fire was good alright, the slightly reggae groove was interesting (unless I'm getting it mixed up with the next one?) but I stopped listening to it after a while, I'm not sure why.

gaffs

Most of the Oasis singles had 4 songs on them, but were not EPs.

Wiki says....

An extended play (EP) is a vinyl record, CD, or music download which contains more music than a single, but is too short to qualify as an LP. Usually, a CD single has around 10–28 minutes of music, an EP has up to 36 minutes, and an album generally has 30–80 minutes. Mini-LPs generally contain 20–30 minutes of music. In the United Kingdom, the Official Chart Company defines a cut off between EP and album classification at 25 minutes length or four tracks (plus alternative versions of featured songs).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Most of the Oasis singles had 4 songs on them, but were not EPs.

Wiki says....

An extended play (EP) is a vinyl record, CD, or music download which contains more music than a single, but is too short to qualify as an LP. Usually, a CD single has around 10–28 minutes of music, an EP has up to 36 minutes, and an album generally has 30–80 minutes. Mini-LPs generally contain 20–30 minutes of music. In the United Kingdom, the Official Chart Company defines a cut off between EP and album classification at 25 minutes length or four tracks (plus alternative versions of featured songs).
Fecking CDs muddying the waters.

I always had singles down as being whatever would fit on 6-inch vinyl, played at 45rpm. It was usually no more than 4 or 5 minutes per side.

Mind you, 12-inch singles could fit a fair bit more.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Yeah, i mentioned earlier in the thread he was releasing an album but didnt want to mention the single, 11th Dimension, because i think its a bit shit.

Did you hear his song out of that Modest Mouse project months ago? Not bad at all. The first time I heard it on the radio I was so happy because I thought it was the first single out of the Strokes new album I've been craving for so long.. The next day I saw it was a mere side-project :(

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Like you Pogue I've always thought of singles as 45's (as we used to call them).

I was never much for 12" singles.
I bought hundreds of them but only dance music (used to do a bit of the auld DJing when I was a student)

When it comes to releasing proper songs, I always figured a 6" was the norm. I actually only ever bought 2 or 3 of them though, because I mainly listened to Cds before going back to vinyl years later when I got decks.

In fact, I only ever bought one (non-dance) album on vinyl - Appetite For Destruction!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I bought hundreds of them but only dance music (used to do a bit of the auld DJing when I was a student)

When it comes to releasing proper songs, I always figured a 6" was the norm. I actually only ever bought 2 or 3 of them though, because I mainly listened to Cds before going back to vinyl years later when I got decks.

In fact, I only ever bought one (non-dance) album on vinyl - Appetite For Destruction!
I always envisaged it as a more dance/electronic format.

I had a couple vinyl LPs in the 80's but I'd rather not mention what they were.

I liked buying 6" ones, right at the pseudo end of vinyl they were dirt cheap.

gaffs

Did you hear his song out of that Modest Mouse project months ago? Not bad at all. The first time I heard it on the radio I was so happy because I thought it was the first single out of the Strokes new album I've been craving for so long.. The next day I saw it was a mere side-project :(

Yeah, good song, though i would have been a bit dissapointed if it was the first Strokes single.

He did it as part of Danger Mouse album, not Modest Mouse.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great band. They haven't seemed to have been around much in the past few years. I love Reptilia, Someday, 12:51, etc...

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Great band. They haven't seemed to have been around much in the past few years. I love Reptilia, Someday, 12:51, etc...

they all went to do some solo work. Albert Hammond Jr. even went on a tour on his own, but his songs are a bit lacking lyrical quality.

Julian did that work mentioned above, and foremost it's the drummer Fabrizio Moretti who did in my opinion the best during his spare time, creating a band called Little Joy with a Brazilian friend of his and his girlfriend, heavily influenced by Brazilian music, very good.

If you feel like giving it a go, try out little joy on youtube, keep me in mind, brand new start, don't watch me dancing are class tunes

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Don't be a twat Weaste. You know full well that "musically simple" is more often than not a good thing.

WeasteDevil

Here is another musically simple and limited band.

If those types of things provide you with enjoyment, fair enough. These types of minimalist bands became popular in the early to mid 2000s, but I can still say that they are very limited.