Music The Strokes

Laphroaig

Skinner went to the same gig as me a few months back. He looked pretty miserable.

To call music simple is, of course, as neutral as calling music complex.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
At the risk of sounding like a total and utter cnut, I only really liked their early stuff.
:lol: I have a button badge with it on it.

I say it only when spastics are talking about the Beatles.

The Strokes first album was great though, like a breath of fresh air ... old sounds but the noise was great. Can't really give an opinion on the rest as I haven't really listened. I was more about the noise they made than the song content and structure and all that so never really pursued them. Bands like this rarely occupy me, as good as the albums are. I love them in a pop way, the Fratellis too, and even Razorlight. When they land first out of the studio it's great, exciting in a way, but there'll be another one along soon.

Red_Jamie

Any fans on here?

I know it's become somewhat uncool to like them, being a 'rich kids hair band' and all, but they're one of my favourite bands. At the moment they're recording their new album, which I can't wait for. Rumour also has it that they've more or less knocked the drugs on the head too, which might make for a few less shambolic live shows.
Rough Trade Records - THE STROKES ARE BACK

I can't wait :drool:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
What a band. Looking at Brophs OP over a year ago when were they considered uncool? I must have missed that.

Red_Jamie

What a band. Looking at Brophs OP over a year ago when were they considered uncool? I must have missed that.
I think they are in America because they're rich boys.. It's never had a baring in Europe though.

They're the coolest band in the world for me. All amazing musicians and brilliant live too.

redwhiteblack

Good singles band. Their demos are always really good, particularly the first album demos. I kinda wish they hadn't been silver spoon rich kids and had ended up making more lofi records.

They've always reminded me of The Cars somewhat.

The SONG Reptilia is fecking excellent. And the 'Someday' single from the first record always makes me smile.

Boothy

Shit just seen this.

They're at Reading and Leeds Festival this year so downloading some of their stuff, I quite like it

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Their 1st album is by far the best. Its brilliant. The 2nd one has a few fantastic tunes but it aint as solid as the 1st.

All downhill from then on

Boothy

Aye, not done our usual threads and banter between festivals! :(

Reading's shit

What do you make of the line-up?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Saw them support Doves around 2002 in a small club. Great live show

Gee Male

I just stuck that new album on the iPod. Anyone gone through it yet? Any good?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I just stuck that new album on the iPod. Anyone gone through it yet? Any good?
I particularly like Machu Picchu, Two Kinds Of Happiness, Under Cover of Darkness and Gratifsfaction.

Zen

Angles is pretty crap. Probably worst than the third album whatever it was called.

IhabX7

Only listened to it casually, Machu Picchu is very good. Its a good start to the album with the first three tracks..

kps88

Apart from the first 2 tracks, Angels is pretty rubbish for me. My least favourite Strokes album, even including Julian's solo one.

IrishLegend

Reading's always been shit.

:D
Lies. It's had some fecking cracking line ups in the past, Maiden, Foo's, 'Tallica, RatM, Muse head lined it some great years.

As Reading and Leeds have got shitter and shitter, Download has got better and Better.

Anyway back ontopic, Strokes now suck.

Zen

Download was terrible last year...............two ancient rock bands? nothx

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
New album hasn't left the cd player since it arrives yesterday. Crackin' record.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Actually fair play to the Strokes, certainly one of the better bands of the last few years.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Sounds like they just took snippets of every song they've ever recorded and played them all at the same time. Then threw in A-ha's 'Take On Me' for the craic.

It works, I think...

Liam147

On Probation
"Didn't really know this
What kind of asshole drives a Lotus?"

Listen to it. I've heard it loads of times and it's at least as good as Angles.

The bad songs are 80s Comedown Machine, Chances and Call It Karma Call It Fate (really, poor songs IMO).

Tap Out is brilliant, 50 50 is brilliant, Welcome To Japan is also excellent. All The Time, whilst good, shouldn't be the lead track IMO. We've all heard One Way Trigger which I loved at the time. Slow Animals, Partners In Crime and Happy Ending all good too.

There's more falsetto singing from Casablancas again, but at the end of Tap Out he sings the verse in his 'normal' voice, and it sounds better to me. Although he's passing it off, I hope he reverts back for the next album.

For me it's like Angles in that the style is quite similar, but they've probably got more good songs, I'm just not sure I love any like I did Undercover of Darkness(?) and Machu Picchu which was one of my favourite Strokes songs.

Solid 7/10, well worth a listen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is This It? - One of the greatest and most influential albums of all time. Near perfection.

Room On Fire - Obviously not as good as Is This It? but still an excellent album.

FIOE - A bloated mess, the worst of their albums. Way too long, way too much filler. Even the decent songs (i.e. the singles and maybe 2 or 3 others) don't match up to the better songs on the previous albums, or even some of the album tracks. I really dislike this album, such a disappointment.

Angles - Four tracks I love (Machu Picchu, UCOD, Taken For A Fool, LISITM), another track I kinda like (Gratisfaction) and the rest ranges from poor to terrible. This is the least consistent of their albums, it has some of their best songs and some of their worst. Definitely not as irritating as FIOE, I wouldn't listen to it as an album but I regularly play the better tracks. Hard to judge Angles because of the wild variations in quality but on balance an okay album.

Comedown Machine - A better album than Angles, not as good as Room On Fire. This album has the consistency Angles lacked but none of the tracks are quite as good as Angle's best. 80's Comedown Machine is the only song I strongly dislike. The best tracks are Tap Out, One Way Trigger and Welcome To Japan. All The Time is good and the most "Strokes-y" song on the album but is their weakest lead single bar Juicebox. 50 50 is good but lacks the killer chorus that would make it great, Slow Animals is a grower, Chances is quite a pretty song and is a nice comedown moment, Partners In Crime and Happy Endings are both good too. CIFCIK is the strangest song on the album and reminds me a bit of Tom Waits. Don't particularly like it but it doesn't really bother me either, bit of a nothing song.

I really wish Casablancas wouldn't sing in falsetto though, it makes it harder to like a lot of the songs (I couldn't stand One Way Trigger at first, mostly because of his voice)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Two new tracks in the build up to their first album in seven years. The second of which lifts from Billy idol, for some reason.