Film The Suicide squad - 2021

kps88

This is so weird. Its a superhero/villain movie, not a comedy movie
Huh? Superhero movies can run across different genres. This one was clearly going for an “action comedy with a bit of heart”. There were a lot of jokes and one liners thrown in that I thought fell flat.

reelworld

Saw it last night.

Gunn was aiming for the Dirty Dozen with comedy, and it paid off. Elba should've just played Deathstroke and be done with Smith. He's a much better fit in the role.
Also
I have irrational dislike to Pete Davidson, so it's extremely satisfying to see his face got blown off in the first 10 minutes of the movie

Oldyella

Didn't think it was too bad. Sure DC will be happy with it given how some of their other movies have come out.

decorativeed

If ever there was a flat movie it was Guardians 2. Miles better than that
I prefer Guardians 2. This was decent enough, but I felt it substituted the heart that Gunn's other films have with gratuitous gore, which led to a fairly unbalanced 2 hours. Certainly up there with the best DC have had to offer though.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I've avoided DC movies until now but decided to watch this cause of James Gunn and thought it was good fun.

Andersons Dietician

Honestly think this was worse than the first movie. I had seen this getting pretty good reviews but my word was it awful.
How the feck did they kill off captain Boomerang in the first 5 minutes. Rick Flag too.

Just terrible, not As bad as the latest Wonder Woman, Aquaman or justice league so it has that going for it and Cena was decent.

Ekeke

I prefer Guardians 2. This was decent enough, but I felt it substituted the heart that Gunn's other films have with gratuitous gore, which led to a fairly unbalanced 2 hours. Certainly up there with the best DC have had to offer though.
For me the few funny parts were already shown in the trailers of GOTG2. The villain was awful and I got bored half way through it. Not the case with the first one where I was entertained throughout

Ratcatcher II didnt provide the heart? For me she did a great job in building her relationships with King Shark, Bloodsport and then the scenes with her father and the way she played into the teamwork of the final fight

hungrywing

Great movie. Charismatic cast of characters, at least the main ones, plenty of action and a it builds to a new level approaching the end. Without adding some of my favourite characters that have been in the Suicide Squad such as a real Deadshot, Deathstroke, Red Hood, Superboy and Black Adam (leaving like nobody to get killed) I dont think it could have been a much better Suicide Squad movie.

I guess theres one gripe, I hated the one moment where
Bloodsport ran out of weapons. The whole point of him is that he can teleport in weapons so he always has an arsenal to fight with. Instead of randomly making that his weakness in that scene so he needed help, it would have been better if he teleported in a big gun. I know he wasnt teleporting in his weapons during the movie, but we have polka dots from other dimensions and star aliens, I think we can have Bloodsport using a teleporting power to rearm himself.

I'll give it an 8.5 overall out of 10 considering my gripe
That's a very valid gripe.

Ratcatcher's 'big moment' would have worked even better if it were preceded by your 'big gun' moment (and subsequent failure of the 'big gun' to resolve the situation)

nimic

something nice
Scout
Honestly think this was worse than the first movie. I had seen this getting pretty good reviews but my word was it awful.
How the feck did they kill off captain Boomerang in the first 5 minutes. Rick Flag too.

Just terrible, not As bad as the latest Wonder Woman, Aquaman or justice league so it has that going for it and Cena was decent.
There isn't a world where the first one was better than this one. I'm all about allowing people their own opinions, but that is just objectively wrong. I can never trust anything you say on the Caf ever again.

Andersons Dietician

There isn't a world where the first one was better than this one. I'm all about allowing people their own opinions, but that is just objectively wrong. I can never trust anything you say on the Caf ever again.
No chance, have you watched the directors cut of the first one? Its so much better.

decorativeed

For me the few funny parts were already shown in the trailers of GOTG2. The villain was awful and I got bored half way through it. Not the case with the first one where I was entertained throughout

Ratcatcher II didnt provide the heart? For me she did a great job in building her relationships with King Shark, Bloodsport and then the scenes with her father and the way she played into the teamwork of the final fight
It felt like they were hoping for that to happen, but he had about 30 seconds of screen time and it fell flat for me.

There were lots of good bits, but I'm not sure I'll watch it again. Possibly too many characters to be cohesive, and on balance, of the four James Gunn films I've seen, I'd probably rank it bottom, below Super. Not that it's a bad film, it's just my least favourite.

Sylar

That was awesome. So much better than the first one and that stupid enchantress sky beam thing that happened. The first, all in all, was atrocious when you look back at it (even though there were a lot of fun moments in that one)

This one is so much better. Its just a better story. I loved a few things:

Parts of the ''original' group just being decimated the way they were. Didnt expect Boomerang to go like he did, so to see him included and then gone was a shock.
Cenas heel turn I saw coming, but given the post credit scene, I wonder what they have planned for peacemaker. This role suits him and its a huge huge contrast to how he started off in the Marine (though that was 15 years ago)

The cast was great.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Loved it. No need to go into much depth, it was just gory fun.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Parts of the ''original' group just being decimated the way they were. Didnt expect Boomerang to go like he did, so to see him included and then gone was a shock.
Cenas heel turn I saw coming, but given the post credit scene, I wonder what they have planned for peacemaker. This role suits him and its a huge huge contrast to how he started off in the Marine (though that was 15 years ago)

The cast was great.
He's getting his own series with Gunn

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Overrated, overhyped

It's a standard 6/10 movie. Too much plot holes, too many plot armor, even for satire.

John Cena can't act, his acting seems unnatural. Idris is trying too hard to show his acting class, Margot seems to be staring in a totally unrelated movie her acting is still stuck on the first movie. The one thing that's fun is the sharkman.

PS: Where's stallone?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This makes zero amount of sense.

He was the shark.
Oh.. thanks

Most of the characters die.

Except like the main characters

Give me like... five?
America would just nuke the hell out of it, or a surgical F14 strike would do the job, drones? Be over in 5 minutes
https://www.cbr.com/suicide-squad-2-plot-holes/
Again, I'm not expecting water tight plot, it's a suicide squad after all. I just don't think it deserves 91% or whatever high mark the critics gave it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Oh yeah, sure. 91% would probably be the "fresh" rating, though, meaning 91% of reviewers thought it was more of a good movie than a bad movie. It doesn't mean it's a 9.1/10 film.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It was a fun romp. I went in expecting crap from DC, leaving I was entertained.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
As someone who is getting serious superhero fatigue and finds the Marvel TV shows disappearing up their own arses, I thought it was really quite fun…. It was also the first good utilisation of Idris Elba in a movie for a long, long time…

Oldyella

I find Cena is normally pretty good in comedic roles. Think it's a good niche for him.

nimic

something nice
Scout
As someone who is getting serious superhero fatigue, I thought it was really quite fun…. It was also the first good utilisation of Idris Elba in a movie for a long, long time…
I think that's the thing. It was probably good simply because I'm so tired of Marvel movies, with the same formula repeated again and again and again. There are no stakes in superhero movies, and they all end with the same CGI spectacle fight. This was sort of that, in that there was obviously a lot of CGI and it ended with a big confrontation, but it was also different:

decorativeed

I think that's the thing. It was probably good simply because I'm so tired of Marvel movies, with the same formula repeated again and again and again. There are no stakes in superhero movies, and they all end with the same CGI spectacle fight. This was sort of that, in that there was obviously a lot of CGI and it ended with a big confrontation, but it was also different:

Besides the swears and bloody violence, I didn't think it did much different to Marvel's stuff. I was hoping to see something different myself, and thought an unrestrained Gunn would have been capable of producing that.

Sylar

Besides the swears and bloody violence, I didn't think it did much different to Marvel's stuff. I was hoping to see something different myself, and thought an unrestrained Gunn would have been capable of producing that.
Well...
People died

I think only two who looked like they did, didn't actually

nimic

something nice
Scout
So it's the same besides the language and the action and the ending set piece and the story with the characters dying.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
So it's the same besides the language and the action and the ending set piece and the story with the characters dying.
Marvel have had multiple characters dying. The action was the same and the ending set piece was the same.

This is a Marvel movie with a few swear words.

nimic

something nice
Scout
This is a Marvel movie with a few swear words.
It's like you read the post I quoted, and thought "is there any way I could be more reductive?"'

Not sure this is worth discussing really, because the action was so obviously not the same. Whether it was better or worse is up to each person to decide for themselves, but it was clearly different. Saying it's the same as Marvel would be like saying The Boys is the same as Marvel.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The humor was darker that Marvel.....Harley Quinn statements about red flags....brilliant and dark.

Sylar

I don't think marvel/mcu have had an opening scene like this with the number of people wiped out

Mcu have had main people die but come back of die towards the end of a 21 movie arc

Ekeke

I dont watch all the Marvel movies, but fill me in if theres a government/leader character like Waller sending people in as disposable units and not caring whether they die. In the movies and shows I've watched there certainly werent any. Thats what makes the movie different. I know there are some shades of gray characters such as Winter Soldier and Nebula but as far as I know nothing like this where the criminals are sent on a suicide mission that is effectively a slaughterhouse to either get rid of them or obtain some incredible resources that you wouldnt otherwise be able to get.

One of the things I hated most about the first Suicide Squad movie was the villain choice. In the comics Enchantress was the reason that Justice League Dark came together, a team of characters who are used to supernatural beings. Superman is weak to magic so she fought off him and the rest of the Justice League, thats why the team was created.

But Harley Quinn and Will Smith deal with her in the movie... Having said that the news of the latest Justice League Dark show/movie plans dont sound appealing either.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I enjoyed it a lot. I think it didn't try to be a guardians or a generic marvel comedy and it also didn't try to be too serious. It hit that in between which is welcoming. Characters blended in really well too and some great action scenes.

First half was definitely slow and I thought I was in for a disappointment but the second half was really good and made me appreciate the build up in the first hour.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The humor was darker that Marvel.....Harley Quinn statements about red flags....brilliant and dark.
Was she commenting on a Romano tweet about Varane and comparing it to Ramos?