The switch to XenForo happens today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
As announced in this topic a couple of months ago, the site is migrating from vBulletin to XenForo. Well the big day has finally arrived and the migration will begin today!

Moving to XenForo requires migrating all the data from the existing vBulletin database to a new XenForo database. This is a slow process and is likely to take at least 12 hours. Once the data migration is done, there will be various configuration updates and testing to be done prior to putting the new site live, which will take a few more hours.

So all-in-all I expect the site to be unavailable from this evening, around 8pm, until tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon / evening.

A holding page will be in place where I will post updates on how the migration is progressing, so you won't be completely in the dark during that time :)

A couple of things to be aware of when the new XenForo site is up-and-running:

1. You will need to log back in to your account, so make sure you know your password!
  2. Xenforo puts a 50 character limit on the location fields in your profile, so anybody with long location text in their profile should change it to something shorter than 50 characters, otherwise it will look something like thi

I've done extensive testing with XenForo over the last few weeks, with a couple of successful data migrations of the full database, so I am confident this will be a smooth switchover (...famous last words... :nervous:).

XenForo is a slick piece of forum software but it will take time for people to adjust to the differences. However, I'm sure after any initial teething problems you'll all be very happy with the change.

Finally, to whet your appetite, here's a couple of new screenshots:

See you on the other side!

Footnote: Of course if something nuts happens in the football world in the next 24 hours, like we re-sign Ronaldo (:lol:), then I'll abort the migration and switch the current site back on. But that's not gonna happen right? ...right?!...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hooray!

Blimey, that Homeomorphic bloke didn't last long - we haven't even had the upgrade yet.

NM

I'll miss this site but I'm sure the new format will be great.. Now what am I going to do at work tomorrow!!

Liam147

On Probation
Just about to post that we will inevitably sign Ronaldo and sell Rooney tomorrow but you've even got that covered.

What's odd is that, reading Damo's mini-forum, cafwolf, I actually though this site could take a lot from it, such as the notification feature. Turns out it's the same design :lol:

Anyone who doesn't like it simply doesn't like change. I can't see any problems besides initially getting used to it; it looks like a big improvement in terms of layout, design and functionality.

Also everyone: get your arses on http://bebecafe.freeforums.org/ tomorrow during the downtime.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Good luck tomorrow dude.

Everyone on Bebecaf for the day then or is Damo opening cafwolf with an all new general forum??

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
It looks good Niall. Well done mate.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Hooray!

Blimey, that Homeomorphic bloke didn't last long - we haven't even had the upgrade yet.
:lol:

Good stuff Niall thanks for your hard work mate. Here's a complimentary good luck though I am sure you don't need it.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
RIP old caf :(

Hello new caf :D

Devil may care

Change scares me. :nervous: Hope it all goes well Niall and all us wankers on the Caf are reunited on Thursday.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Naill, any reason why you went with XenForo?

If it's to personal that's fine. But I am curious none the less. vBulletin is pretty solid and IPboard isn't bad (not great). I had actually not heard much of XenForo. So it seems it must be pretty solid.

BahamaRed

Legend
From someone who's been with you from day 1 Niall I'd like to thank you for all the great work you've done in providing the best Utd site on the interweb. You've been a consistent flow in my life these last 13-14 years and I'm looking forward to the next level.
Thanks mate.

PS. Can you stop me being David Moyes. Cheers

vanthaman

Winner
I really hope no posters get lost in the migration. I heard that happens a lot.
Lets hope it happens to a few of them

I also wonder who united will sign tonight? Last time we had considerable downtime, Michael Owen signed, I expect Ronaldo or Bale to be a united player by the time the caf is back

Phil

You can't just have no Caf for that long Niall.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Good luck, lets hope this goes smoothly.

StuCol

Chimp
Nice one Niall. Can't wait to bed into the new site. See you all on the other side.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I really hope no posters get lost in the migration. I heard that happens a lot.
Imagine that, a collective body that loses members when moving from one place to another, and Moses said it.
How apt. Is XenForo the promised land then?

Status
Not open for further replies.