The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It is all way too early. We had a good start, City as well, but Chelsea is also picking up. However, it's been 5 games, I think we can only properly assess after December. So many things can happen and right now, it's more of a trend than anything else.
Same goes for United. Let's see if we can beat the big teams and play good football over a longer time

NYAS

City win the league in September every season.
Yep. I'm not sure why people are so desperate to put their foot down on predicting it. There's nothing particularly impressive about showing yourself to be a fickle, simple-minded football fan that makes such definitive season-wide predictions after the first month of football in a 9-month season. It's not like you know something we don't. I'm not saying people shouldn't ever predict anything, but the conviction in the predictions, especially when you take into context the sample size of the evidence, is quite something.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Way too early of course but I would not be surprised if the top 4 will be the same at the end as today in this order.

Treble

There are at least three things that make the title challenge difficult to predict:

1. injuries (to key players)
2. how far will the contenders go in Europe/domestic cups
3. the development of young players

All of the contenders have young players who can develop further or blossom into world class players during this campaign.

United: all forwards except for Zlatan are not yet in their prime, Martial and Rashford are very young and we don't know what to expect from them.

Chelsea: Hazard is arguably the best player but he is entering his prime now and can get even better. Morata too

City: they have plenty of young players who can become top top footballers: Jesus, Sane, Bernardo, Mendy and even Sterling.

Spurs: imagine that Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Dier... are better than last season. Why not?

Liverpool: all their forwards and some of their mids are still developing as players: Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Can...I wouldn't count them as contenders but there is room for improvement there. They'll be stronger than last season.

It's unpredictable for various reasons.

Peanut Butter

Yep. I'm not sure why people are so desperate to put their foot down on predicting it. There's nothing particularly impressive about showing yourself to be a fickle, simple-minded football fan that makes such definitive season-wide predictions after the first month of football in a 9-month season. It's not like you know something we don't. I'm not saying people shouldn't ever predict anything, but the conviction in the predictions, especially when you take into context the sample size of the evidence, is quite something.
I like this post.

Bestietom

This weekend should see us go top of the table. Chelsea Versus City should be a draw or win for Chelsea.

We will take all 3 points from Palace to see us go clear on top.

SirMattBugsby

There are at least three things that make the title challenge difficult to predict:

1. injuries (to key players)
2. how far will the contenders go in Europe/domestic cups
3. the development of young players

All of the contenders have young players who can develop further or blossom into world class players during this campaign.

United: all forwards except for Zlatan are not yet in their prime, Martial and Rashford are very young and we don't know what to expect from them.

Chelsea: Hazard is arguably the best player but he is entering his prime now and can get even better. Morata too

City: they have plenty of young players who can become top top footballers: Jesus, Sane, Bernardo, Mendy and even Sterling.

Spurs: imagine that Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Dier... are better than last season. Why not?

Liverpool: all their forwards and some of their mids are still developing as players: Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Can...I wouldn't count them as contenders but there is room for improvement there. They'll be stronger than last season.

It's unpredictable for various reasons.
We are talking about the title race in September. Try not to be sensible.

Treble

What is the best outcome for United from Chelsea and City this weekend? Draw or Chelsea win? If Chelsea win, they will be just 3 pts off United after having already played 3 of the top 6 from last season. Which would make their start excellent despite the loss from Burnley. A draw would be good for City though, will give them courage that they can do it this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What is the best outcome for United from Chelsea and City this weekend? Draw or Chelsea win? If Chelsea win, they will be just 3 pts off United after having already played 3 of the top 6 from last season. Which would make their start excellent despite the loss from Burnley. A draw would be good for City though, will give them courage that they can do it this season.
0-0 borefest with few red cards to both teams.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Draw. Chelsea are as much title challengers as us and City, even if people don't love them as much as they love City on here.

Bestietom

I would take any of a draw or a win for Chelsea @Treble .

Treble

Draw. Chelsea are as much title challengers as us and City, even if people don't love them as much as they love City on here.
Tend to agree. Two points lost for any of them would be probably the best outcome now.

SirMattBugsby

I am as worried about Chelsea as about City. If Conte wins this, he'll look to go on a similar winning run as last year.

So draw for me.

Touseef

City seem to be favorites now. I reckon they'll further strengthen the CB position in Jan. Chelsea are next favorites with us close third. We may need a good Jan window to make sure we are competing (Griezmann would be awesome to help us unlock defenses).

However the mourinho factor cannot be underestimated. We may not have the best team but we definitely have the best manager for the league.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I really don't know why anyone should say *** will win the PL.
Nothing we've seen so far will rule out United, City or Chelsea. All the cards have yet to be played.
The styles are different but each has a good enough squad to maintain title winning form over the course of the season given a fair rub of the green. It really could all turn on injuries, rogue reffing decisions or squad discipline.

Could be a vintage season with a titanic 3 way battle going deep into the season.

Thisistheone

It's at least a 3 horse race. Considering Chelsea are only 3 points back with Hazard yet to properly come into the side, they're looking very dangerous imo.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
It's at least a 3 horse race. Considering Chelsea are only 3 points back with Hazard yet to properly come into the side, they're looking very dangerous imo.
Let's see how they cope with playing every 3 days, as their squad look a bit short.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Once in a blue moon you might get a team just blast their way through the season, but its extremely rare. When you look at this season, there's at least 3 teams good enough to compete for the title, so unless City manage to do something very unusual there will almost certainly come a point in the season where their form dips. At that point either they dig in and show grit, and find a way to keep collecting the points anyway, or they risk getting overtaken. If that happens, then its a hit to the confidence that's an extra challenge to overcome as they try and pull themselves back into form.

Few things are more demoralizing than watching your rivals playing like crap and still walking away with 3 points week after week. You guys used to do it all the time under SAF, and as a rival it was devastating. Mourinho ingrained the same mentality into Chelsea long ago, and at the times when we've had successful seasons, that's been a huge part of the reason why.

As for City leading, its 6 games into the season and you're level on points. It's hardly evidence of anything, especially considering City actually have less points now than they did after 6 games last season.
It is not almost certain that their form will dip drastically to the point that unless they are able to grit undeserved points, they will start losing games. That's my point. That may happen but until then it seems disingenious to award extra grit points to Chelsea and United based on coming by "undeserved victories". I think that avoiding those scenarios is better. Still early days though.

RedCurry

Like most posters here, I also do think title race will be between Chelsea, City and ourselves. But I think Spurs might have a say in it. All the clubs have their own demons and whoever gets over them better, will probably go on to win it.

Chelsea: Solid as usual but they still need a bit more in attack. Will Hazard be back to his best soon? Hazard could be the difference between top three and champions.
Man City: Look great in the opposition's final third. There will surely be games where they play poorly as a team. Will Pep be smart enough to do what it takes to get over the finish line, even if it means playing 'ugly' defensive football?
Man Utd: Look solid, Lukaku has been an ace signing so far. But undoubtedly there will be a barren spell for the Belgian. We also seem to suffer more injuries than other top sides. Are others ready to step up when called upon?
Spurs: Spurs are Spurs. They have the best striker in the league. The goals will come from Kane, Alli, Eriksen and Son. They lack depth in their squad and that's been their major downfall every season. This year they have an added issue of playing at Wembley although I expect them to get used to it without dropping too many points.

mancan92

It's clear you are not willing to understand the point. Not every day will you lot get to play against a 10 men Liverpool side or watford side who are generous to gift you goals. There will be days where your opponents will be stronger than you, the real test will be then. It is not just about sitting back and defending (sometimes pep may even have to do that) , it is also about defending well and countering their attacks aka being pragmatic.
In my opinion there won't be games in the Premier league at least where city will get clearly out played. They're style of play pretty much guarantees that they won't get dominated in possession or chances.

Sara125

City win the league in September every season.
Let's stop with this deliberate obtuseness and just accept that they have a very, very strong squad which people rightly predict that it will most likely carry them to the title come may

Paul_Scholes18

It is a different situation compared to 2 seasons ago. At that time we had got 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat under LVG. We played terrible, but at that time I thought we could even challenge for the title as I was not impressed by any other team in the league either. In the end Leicester won the fecking thing.

This season there are 6 strong sides in the league. Will be difficult to predict, but I am sure the top 6 will be very clear this season. It feels there are 2 leagues in the same league. With the bottom 14 clubs being roughly at the same level. Everton I feel moved closer to the bottom 14 by selling Lukaku I think even if they got Niasse.

Treble

City will go through rough patches like last season. But they are now better equipped to come to terms with a crisis. Last season they had Nolito, Navas and Iheanacho as options to replace attacking players as Sane was still finding his feet in England and Jesus played too little. Thus, they have now Sane, Jesus and Bernardo instead Nolito, Navas and Iheanacho. Big improvement. Sterling looks better too. And they have improved on their full backs positions and the keeper. They will add probably 10 pts to last season's 78 pts which will make them contenders right to the end.

United can add 15-20 pts to last season's tally of 69, provided that Lukaku and Matic continue to look the part and Pogba returns soon enough.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Let's stop with this deliberate obtuseness and just accept that they have a very, very strong squad which people rightly predict that it will most likely carry them to the title come may
Like it does every single season that everyone says the same thing.

Treble

Are you on a fecking wum or something? We've lost JT at the back and brought in Rudiger and Christiansen, both of whom have looked outstanding so far, and Zappacosta who has already shown promise in the 2 games or so he's played so far. Matic was looking like a tired uninspired version of himself in his last couple of seasons regardless of how he's now re-energized at United, and we've replaced him with an extremely exciting and vibrant talent in Bakayoko. We've also added Drinkwater to strength our depth even more. Oh and of course yes we lost a great striker, and have replaced him with a guy who currently has 6 goals and 2 assists in his first 6 games.

The main criticism of the team last year was that we lacked depth. We've now got much more depth, and have also upgraded in several positions. There's certainly an argument to be made that City are the strongest squad in the league (although its up for debate), but this running down of our squad is ridiculous.
Is that just your opinion or it is widely shared by Chelsea fans?

rio's upper lip

City have got to be favorites. Defense looking stronger, attack looking formidable. We're yet to be tested by a top side. Until that happens, I'd actually even put us third favorites behind Chelsea as their squad consists of title winners.

7-9 points from Palace, Liverpool and Huddersfield might change things though.

cyberman

Can't wait until these tough games v this Liverpool and Arsenal that are so much harder than Stoke and Southampton away.
We may as well delete Arsenal from this thread, how West Brom aren't 4-1 up is beyond me.

Dante

Average bang
You have no way of knowing whether those predictions are based on a high-quality analysis of football or not. Maybe the people discussing the title race are just that good. It's massively premature to suggest otherwise.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Chelsea win, City are like Arsenal 2004 - they collapse after their first defeat

Eddy_JukeZ

Is there a link to the distance covered stat by teams which has us in the bottom 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.