The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

I'd actually prefer a City win on Saturday because Chelsea have had some harder fixtures to start with like Spurs away and arsenal home already. A win over City puts them in a very strong position with easier fixtures to come. Its better they drop points and we stay level with City to create a gap to third. This is especially because we have some tough games after the international break and having a buffer to the teams below us will help.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Cracking game to watch whatever the result. I hope I'm thoroughly disappointed now with the most tumescent 0-0s in recent times. :D

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd actually prefer a City win on Saturday because Chelsea have had some harder fixtures to start with like Spurs away and arsenal home already. A win over City puts them in a very strong position with easier fixtures to come. Its better they drop points and we stay level with City to create a gap to third. This is especially because we have some tough games after the international break and having a buffer to the teams below us will help.
I reckon a draw's ideal.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Is that just your opinion or it is widely shared by Chelsea fans?
It wasn't even a controversial opinion amongst fans. He was horrible the season before last, than had a great start to last season before dropping back down to decent. He just hasn't been a major player for a while now for us.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Is that just your opinion or it is widely shared by Chelsea fans?
Stats aren't the be all end all (and there are obvious sample size issues) but it's notable that Bakayoko is already averaging more defensive actions per 90 than Matic did even during his best season. On top of that though the difference in dynamism between him and the Matic we saw over the last two years is night and day.

I'll hold up my hands and say that I didn't expect Matic to look as good as he has; the move has seemed to rejuvenate him. Mourinho deserves credit as well for letting him sit deeper, whereas Conte demands his central midfielders press high more often and that was a case of a square peg in a round hole.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Stats aren't the be all end all (and there are obvious sample size issues) but it's notable that Bakayoko is already averaging more defensive actions per 90 than Matic did even during his best season. On top of that though the difference in dynamism between him and the Matic we saw over the last two years is night and day.

I'll hold up my hands and say that I didn't expect Matic to look as good as he has; the move has seemed to rejuvenate him. Mourinho deserves credit as well for letting him sit deeper, whereas Conte demands his central midfielders press high more often and that was a case of a square peg in a round hole.
Surprised Mourinho never played a 4-3-3 with his Oscar, Matic, Cesc trio as he does now with United.

---Matic---
---Cesc---Oscar

Seems like this would have been more solid than persisting with a pivot.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Surprised Mourinho never played a 4-3-3 with his Oscar, Matic, Cesc trio as he does now with United.

---Matic---
---Cesc---Oscar

Seems like this would have been more solid than persisting with a pivot.
Yeah I'm not sure why Oscar was never moved deeper personally-he was always pretty decent defensively, especially in terms of tenacity and workrate. I suppose if you moved him deeper Costa might have been more isolated but presumably Hazard would have been freed up from some of his defensive responsibilities with a more solid midfield behind him. It does seem a worthwhile experiment in retrospect.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

That's wrong. Matic averaged 4.6 tackles per game, Bakayoko averages 3 tackles per game.

Also Herrera averages more defensive actions and passes per 90 mins than Kante and Bakayoko.

Last edited:

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
That's wrong. Matic averaged 4.6 tackles per game, Bakayoko averages 3 tackles per game.

Also Herrera averages more defensive actions and passes per 90 mins than Kante and Bakayoko.
More midfield stability last season probably meant Kante saw less action compared to United who were considerably weaker requiring Herrera to do more work

I'm not sure if Bakayoko is any better than Matic right now, I don't think stats like tackling is a really good way to assess players -- but one thing for sure is that he is far more dynamic and mobile than Matic, he also seems to have a higher potential.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
More midfield stability last season probably meant Kante saw less action compared to United who were considerably weaker requiring Herrera to do more work

I'm not sure if Bakayoko is any better than Matic right now, I don't think stats like tackling is a really good way to assess players -- but one thing for sure is that he is far more dynamic and mobile than Matic, he also seems to have a higher potential.
I'm talking about Herrera this season.

Yeah Bakayoko is more dynamic player and Matic is more controlling type player.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I think City have always failed to win the Bridge recently.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Herrera made more tackles in 30 minutes than anyone else in the PL this weekend :keano:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Check whoscored.com

Edit: yeah I looked it wrong.

But like I said, Herrera beats everyone including Kante when it comes to per 90 mins stats.
No worries mate, think a lot of that was down to him being a bit isolated as the sole defensive midfielder. I'd be interested to see how he got on in a pairing.

Treble

Chelsea surprised me last night. They are still the team to beat. Conte is great.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It appears many people were doing Conte and Chelsea a disservice at the start of the season. Whether they win the league or not they do look a quality team and like champions of England.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Surely a draw is ideal. If you've got tough games coming you need to be top of the pile. City have a reasonable run after Chelsea for a handful of games. Anyway, I'd take a draw now to keep the gap from Chelsea, and if we win I'll get excited.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I'm pretty impressed by Chelsea, Conte seems a hell of a manager. Looks it might be a three horse run, with City, United and them, although it's too early to say Tottenham won't challenge.

Paul_Scholes18

Why do people want anything other than a City defeat. They are our rivals and top of the table. Only team I would want them to draw with is Liverpool.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I'm surprised so many are so eager to claim it's a three horse race already. I guess time will tell, but it's only September.

GrandJury

Why do people want anything other than a City defeat. They are our rivals and top of the table. Only team I would want them to draw with is Liverpool.
Because City and Chelsea are our title rivals and both of them dropping points is the best result for us.

serxyo

We might be in a complicated position for a next couple of games. Mourinho said that he doesn't expect Carrick, Pogba, Fellaini, Valencia or Jones to be ready to play and he doesn't know what the situation of Martial is. Kinda makes me nervous even though we're playing Crystal Palace might be a hard game. Next is Liverpool and we have to be 100 % ready on this one ...

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Hate the City games, the last few years they've felt like the ones that will define our seasons. Feeling better about it after the Atletico game, but that's still a massive amount of firepower to be facing up against.

Then again Aguero will probably lose his shit and foul Luiz again like he always does, so at least we might only have to play against 10 of the cnuts. :D

*edit* Just remembered Luiz is suspended still. FML..

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Chelsea will fancy their chances now given the long term injuries to Pogba, Mendy and Aguero

salford_

I had tomorrow as a draw, think City will lose now, and their record there is quite shit. Id like to see them lose because the sheer arrogance and cockyness on bluemoon is nauseating. People actually suggesting 4-0 and 5-0 results, and they arent joking ffs.

SirAF

Ageist
A draw would be nice. Would put us two points ahead of City and five ahead of Chelsea - if we beat Palace..

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I had tomorrow as a draw, think City will lose now, and their record there is quite shit. Id like to see them lose because the sheer arrogance and cockyness on bluemoon is nauseating. People actually suggesting 4-0 and 5-0 results, and they arent joking ffs.
4-0 away to Chelsea? :lol:

Kapardin

Under no circumstances should we hope for either City or Chelsea to win. Both are fast gaining momentum, with City on a goal scoring rampage and Chelsea getting that morale boosting win over Atletico.

Draw is the best result for us. Even without Aguero and Mendy, City's attack will still be potent as they have lots of options up front.

SirAF

Ageist
Under no circumstances should we hope for either City or Chelsea to win. Both are fast gaining momentum, with City on a goal scoring rampage and Chelsea getting that morale boosting win over Atletico.

Draw is the best result for us. Even without Aguero and Mendy, City's attack will still be potent as they have lots of options up front.
Definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.