The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I've not seen us manage a game out like that for a long time. Absolutely chuffed with that 3 points. Hopefully Liverpool can do us a favour in a few weeks. A win there is your perfect way to respond.
Liverpool always approach that game like it's the Champions league final.

Probably our 2nd toughest fixture on the calendar (Stamford Bridge being first )

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
No one has really tested City's defence yet. The one team who could got their most potent attacker sent off, and Chelsea lost Morata early today.
I agree they are a good team, but Guardiola has been incredibly lucky so far.

I was one of the first to think that Guardiola's arrival will change things, but I genuinely don't think this City side is all that good. They attack with width and numbers, and were luring Chelsea out before exploiting spaces. They have very few players who can win the ball back without fouling, and they leave huge spaces behind when they attack. I am sure Mourinho will have a plan to stop them, and we will get the space behind their full backs on the counter. I am confident we can beat City.

It's matching the flukey wins against Liverpool and Chelsea that is going to be a problem. Mourinho needs to be at his best.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm not worried or upset or anything.
I predicted us to finish second or 3rd and stand by that.
City are ahead of us in terms of squad development.
Would be a great feat to pip them to the title but I can't see it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Title winning result that for City as we won’t win there (or at Liverpool in 2 weeks)

This is also why Chelsea won’t be challenging come May either and why I’ve never viewed them as a threat

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
So Liverpool will be above Chelsea this time tomorrow, with Arsenal equal on points - do we have to say they are both back in the race? Or is it just us and City for now?

keithsingleton

I'm not worried or upset or anything.
I predicted us to finish second or 3rd and stand by that.
City are ahead of us in terms of squad development.
Would be a great feat to pip them to the title but I can't see it.
Tottaly agree with you. Some performance to beat the Chavs and deservedly so. :(

salford_

Title winning result that for City as we won’t win there (or at Liverpool in 2 weeks)

This is also why Chelsea won’t be challenging come May either and why I’ve never viewed them as a threat
nobody is challenging them if they continue like they did tonight, so we arent a threat either

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It's advantage City, they've made the most impressive start and were favourites before a ball was kicked.

In spite of all that, this is as good as we've had it for years and we should carry on enjoying the 4-0s and being comfortably in the top four.

Treble

What's surprising about City is that they look very solid in defence now. Their pressing is phenomenal and they are very calm and composed on the ball. Still early days though. Many things may change quickly as the injuries to Mendy and Aguero showed.

Chelsea are not out of it yet. They were fantastic against Atleti. City made them look bad tonight but the season is long.

AXVnee7

If's and but's regarding today's game. City have got their 3 points, and only have to worry about Chelsea once more this season. Even if Chelsea are in scintillating form for the reverse fixture, City have already bagged maximum points at the Bridge.

We've not even played a top 6 team yet, although I expect us to do very well against our rivals this season. Our game against Liverpool is going to be huge for us to lay down a marker of our own.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
City are favorites. Two terrific results against big sides now.

But it's a long season. A lot can happen. I just think we'll need to try to take on the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs in the coming weeks or else we may fall away with defensive draws.

Ban

Chelsea will miss Morata big time if he's out for long. City and us will be battling it, maybe Spurs will be close.

amolbhatia50k

What's surprising about City is that they look very solid in defence now. Their pressing is phenomenal and they are very calm and composed on the ball. Still early days though. Many things may change quickly as the injuries to Mendy and Aguero showed.

Chelsea are not out of it yet. They were fantastic against Atleti. City made them look bad tonight but the season is long.
Yeah this is what I feared would eventually happen under Pep and hoped that it would remain a difficult issue for him to resolve. But today their organisation and composure across the board was an eye opener. That's definitely peps influence.

On the other hand City have been helped in the two big games by Morata's injury (which affected Chelsea too much) and manes red taking away the two teams best players at the time.

charlenefan

City are favorites. Two terrific results against big sides now.

But it's a long season. A lot can happen. I just think we'll need to try to take on the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs in the coming weeks or else we may fall away with defensive draws.
Yep we cant afford to go away to Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Spurs and just be happy with a draw this season we need to be progressive and go for wins

charlenefan

City’s defence is still suspect, unfortunately though like Pep’s Barca teams will struggle to put it under any pressure due to their ability to keep the ball

amolbhatia50k

City’s defence is still suspect, unfortunately though like Pep’s Barca teams will struggle to put it under any pressure due to their ability to keep the ball
This is what expected and hoped we wouldn't see at City. I'm hoping it doesn't become a regular thing. I don't City are quite there yet. Chelsea being awful post Morata played a big part.

amolbhatia50k

Yep we cant afford to go away to Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Spurs and just be happy with a draw this season we need to be progressive and go for wins
Agreed. Well slowly fall adrift if we go into those games with that attitude while City dominate the same teams. To win the league this season we need to maintain our big team mentality imo.

Member 90887

You people are overreacting a lot! yes City won, but there were some mitigating factors that helped them do so.

Morata's injury, conte's substitutions and their last champions league game.

For those who watched the game, you could see that before the morata injury, city had most of the ball but they were completely nullified, it made me think of our game in anfield last year. they had almost no chance in the first half.

Chelsea were playing direct counters, with Morata holding the ball very well in attack. once he got injured, game over, conte's game plan wasn't going to work. when he put on Willian, that was the final nail in the coffin. you could see in the second half, when he put Pedro and Batshuay on, they were dangerous again and could have equalised.

Don't forget that it took a magical moment from de bruyne for City to score.

Add to that the fact that Chelsea had a very difficult game against a big team in europe and in spain wednesday while City played Shaktar at home tuesday....

As for our chances, well, we were playing very well before Pogba's injury, and i would have fancied us against anyone at that moment including this city side. now, even without Pogba, we're managing to win, it's obvious that we're confident, we got back that arrogance we had in fergie's years where, no matter the team we put out, we knew that we were going to win. and it shows in here, the players, the media and i'm pretty sure it plays a role in the mindset of the teams that face us as well.

I think that it's going to be close. the injuries will play a big role. if we manage to get pogba back after the international break, we're definitly in.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I thought their defense was excellent today. Stones didn't give Hazard an inch on one-on-ones. Walker and Delph didn't ball watch, and stymied Chelsea's attempts to slip the ball behind the defense. The entire back line moved well as a unit, forcing several offsides.

Their only vulnerable point IMO is set-pieces, but they keep the ball so well that those opportunities are limited.

Obiorahking_

To be honest, every team City has played against we've come pretty close to matching them in term's of results.

FromTheBench

City look the favorites right now, but their test will come a few games down the road.

Even last season they started like a house on fire and then their defence struggled and team started tiring as CL became intense.

If anyone is gonna challenge or beat them it'll be us. Chlesea don't seem as motivated as last year and haven't improved or added enough fresh blood.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
City look really good to be fair.

I think we have a better defence than them, but they have the better attack.

The Manchester derbies this year will be the most important ones for years.

FromTheBench

I thought their defense was excellent today. Stones didn't give Hazard an inch on one-on-ones. Walker and Delph didn't ball watch, and stymied Chelsea's attempts to slip the ball behind the defense. The entire back line moved well as a unit, forcing several offsides.

Their only vulnerable point IMO is set-pieces, but they keep the ball so well that those opportunities are limited.
Chelsea's attack was pretty poor today especially after Morata went off tbf. Dunno, what their game plan was as they got caught between going for it and trying to knick it.

DeGea

How should we play against City? Is it better to sit back, absorb the pressure and hit them on the counter? Or try and keep the ball, and stop them from having the ball so that they can't hurt us.

I have a feeling the only way to beat City is to play them at their own game. Keep the ball and pass it round, waiting for a gap to open whilst at the same time being very physical.

Member 90887

Hazard is just coming back to the team and he played 82 minutes wednesday against Athelico and with no Morata, it was always going to be difficult.

ChaddyP

City look the favorites right now, but their test will come a few games down the road.

Even last season they started like a house on fire and then their defence struggled and team started tiring as CL became intense.

If anyone is gonna challenge or beat them it'll be us. Chlesea don't seem as motivated as last year and haven't improved or added enough fresh blood.

they bought like 6 players :lol: 3 of which started today

manunited1919

How should we play against City? Is it better to sit back, absorb the pressure and hit them on the counter? Or try and keep the ball, and stop them from having the ball so that they can't hurt us.

I have a feeling the only way to beat City is to play them at their own game. Keep the ball and pass it round, waiting for a gap to open whilst at the same time being very physical.
We need to play them like we did last season at etihad. We need a midfield of Pogba, Ander and Matic to disrupt their midfield. You cannot sit back and allow them to create at will in the hope of absorbing pressure, as Chelsea did today.

Status
Not open for further replies.