The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

padr81

Supports
Man City
City were great today. But I don't think this high pressing style is sustainable in this league. We need to outlast them physically and really hope we will.
City don't high press every game anymore, haven't since last January. They high press teams like Shaktar/Chelsea where keepers play the ball really short or roll it out to defenders.
We didn't high press Palace (not the way we did today anyway) didn't even try it vs Liverpool because of their pace. In fact v Liverpool we let them have the ball and sat kind of deepish.

Something I think Pep has learned, from our poor Christmas last season.

RedStarUnited

City don't high press every game anymore, haven't since last January. They high press teams like Shaktar/Chelsea where keepers play the ball really short or roll it out to defenders.
We didn't high press Palace (not the way we did today anyway) didn't even try it vs Liverpool because of their pace. In fact v Liverpool we let them have the ball and sat kind of deepish.

Something I think Pep has learned, from our poor Christmas last season.
Not sure about the palace/Shaktar games but I watched the Liverpool game and it was definitely a high press. The amount of times Salah got in behind in the first half because Mendy was pushing high and he was left with Otamendi. Heck, even the moment that changed the game was because of City being so high. Maybe you changed the way you played after getting a man advantage.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not sure about the palace/Shaktar games but I watched the Liverpool game and it was definitely a high press. The amount of times Salah got in behind in the first half because Mendy was pushing high and he was left with Otamendi. Heck, even the moment that changed the game was because of City being so high. Maybe you changed the way you played after getting a man advantage.
Mendy was high but not because of a press but because of our attacking positioning, Liverpool mostly got in behind because Mendy has a tendency to bomb forward when we have the ball, as does Walker. We also played 3 at the back so Mendy and Walker were playing pretty much as ultra attacking wingbacks/wide midfielders instead of the standard fullback positions Walker and Delph had today with the back 4. Most would say we played 3142 in those games with Mendy and Walkers starting position higher than Fernandinho's.

Liverpool were pressing us and then sliding balls in behind him then Salah was taking Otamendi to school. Today for example Delph and Walker barely got forward (instead drifting into defensive midfield to recycle the ball). We pressed Chelsea much more but kept our fullbacks much deeper.

FujiVice

Cant remember the last time we went into October when I wasnt depressed as feck about our current situation. Been a good start to the season.

ChaddyP

Conte is going to be sweating without Morata. Big blow for him and keeping up the pace in he title. It's a long season and even though city may have a better first XI I still feel we have the best over all. Squad. Our strengths at center back goal keeper striker (when Zlatan returns) and midfield are far better than any side in the epl. We have lost out best midfielder and have hardly broken a sweat. Jones Smalling Bailly and Rojo to come back at CB means There's hardly any drop in quality when rotated. Our only niggle is lb and would appear that Ashley young has brought new life to that position till we can figure out of Shaw is up to the task. It's a long road with injures suspension fatigue and I feel we have the ability to keep our standard much better than any other squad no matter the rotation.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Probably posted somewhere in the Caf...

Well Salah and De Bruyne are not really spearheading Liverpool and City, but I get the point.

Also, wasn't Jose responsible for overseeing the transfers of all 3?

#AgentJ

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
It's the famous second season for Jose now. City will be stronger than now next season.
He started so low in United this should only be considered his first season. Not sure he's going to push players to the limit already. I remember him being overcareful in his first Chelsea season (second spell) when they had a chance for the title and were playing it down. I don't feel Mourinho will risk it all chasing City, for instance. A title fight (2nd) and a good Champions League campaign secure him.

Eddy_JukeZ

I really hope we do better in the big games this season than last.

Still very worried about that Anfield game. 1st game after the international break(where we seem to struggle with Jose a bit).

Then Anfield itself. Don't think we handled Liverpool's press well last season at all. And likely no Pogba in the game(I know some say it might be a plus, but I'd always rather him in midfield than Fellaini).

I don't think we'll win the title, but we need to show more bravery in the bigger games this season. Not asking for us to be gung-ho, but just to be capable of stringing dangerous attacks(which we did not in a few big games last season).

That said, we've got off to a MUCH better start than I thought. And almost all of Jose's 2nd season titles has seen similar starts to this. So can't really complain.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well Salah and De Bruyne are not really spearheading Liverpool and City, but I get the point.

Also, wasn't Jose responsible for overseeing the transfers of all 3?

#AgentJ
Yep. Also, getting rid of Salah at the time was not a problem; he'd shown less than nothing and seemed a liability. Turning a profit on him was viewed as a positive.

Lukaku and KdB on the other hand were absolutely insane decisions then and even crazier in retrospect. Especially as Mourinho specifically advised Chelsea to turn down less money in exchange for buyback clauses, overriding the wishes of Emenalo.

Shiva87

I'd agree we arguably have the best CM collection in the Prem, but Madrid's are a level above ours.

Pogba wouldn't even be a guaranteed starter for them. And Herrera wouldn't even make the bench.
Pogba would definitely start in the Madrid midfield. You are really underestimating how good he is. The last couple of weeks show that. I'm really hoping he is back before the Spurs and Chelsea games as we can get overrun by those two teams in midfield without him.

I agree with you otherwise, we aren't better than RM in midfield.

Shiva87

I don't remember which thread it was and I can't be bothered to search the forum.

You can if you want mate.
I'd be surprised if anyone actually thinks that way, and I'd be with @podurban2 coz if your making that claim, you should back it up!

Missing Pogba in that game is huge! The rest of the squad needs to step up to show that we can stay in touch of city through our patch of tough games without our best outfield player. (Chelsea have done that in the beginning of the season, and City did that last night).

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The worrying thing is that City have already played Chelsea and Liverpool now, getting 6 points.

Liverpool will be our first tough match. In reality, our team should beat them but you just never know at Anfield.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
The worrying thing is that City have already played Chelsea and Liverpool now, getting 6 points.

Liverpool will be our first tough match. In reality, our team should beat them but you just never know at Anfield.
In general, a point at Anfield is a good point. Difficult place to go, particularly for us. So I don't think you can say that, really.

Cal?

CR7 fan

That's fine, they also drew with Everton at home and needed an post-injury time winner against Bournemouth.

Siorac

That late Bournemouth winner looks more and more annoying every day.
It does have that 'Sunderland 2012' feel to it, when City came back from 3-1 down to equalise in the last five minutes... Though that was at the end of March so not quite the same situation.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
If they were still in touch who won would probably win the league as well.
Not sure it'll be that big of a game on its own, there's a return fixture to come after that. City's next 4 is Stoke H, Burnley H, W Brom A and Arsenal H. In the same time United play Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs.

We'll have a good idea by then how important it'll be. Both sides will have played 3 of the "big 6" and will be heading in towards the head to head. City really should be looking for 10/12 from those games, if United match that it'll be impressive.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure it'll be that big of a game on its own, there's a return fixture to come after that. City's next 4 is Stoke H, Burnley H, W Brom A and Arsenal H. In the same time United play Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs.

We'll have a good idea by then how important it'll be. Both sides will have played 3 of the "big 6" and will be heading in towards the head to head. City really should be looking for 10/12 from those games, if United match that it'll be impressive.
Wow! Didn't remember your fixtures being so hard.

Womp

idiot
Just can't shake the feeling City will win it, different from last year, everything just seems to be going in their favour. The big Liverpool game, Mane got the stupid red card early, which led to Liverpool capitulating, not to add the whole Coutinho situation. I can see both those players ready and raring to go when they play us. Similarly with the Chelsea game, Hazard was still getting back to full fitness and Morata went off injured early, don't see us being blessed with the same fortune.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just can't shake the feeling City will win it, different from last year, everything just seems to be going in their favour. The big Liverpool game, Mane got the stupid red card early, which led to Liverpool capitulating, not to add the whole Coutinho situation. I can see both those players ready and raring to go when they play us. Similarly with the Chelsea game, Hazard was still getting back to full fitness and Morata went off injured early, don't see us being blessed with the same fortune.
Yeah as much as everyone (including me) praised them for the performances vs Chelsea they've got some huge luck in two very very difficult games. Imagine us getting to play against 10 man Liverpool and Hazard and Morata less Chelsea is our annual toughest game of the season (at Stamford bridge).

Sadly all I can do is imagine. You never know. Maybe we get some luck in other games but that's two great games to have some rub of the green in.

Womp

idiot
Yeah as much as everyone (including me) praised them for the performances vs Chelsea they've got some huge luck in two very very difficult games. Imagine us getting to play against 10 man Liverpool and Hazard and Morata less Chelsea is our annual toughest game of the season (at Stamford bridge).

Sadly all I can do is imagine. You never know. Maybe we get some luck in other games but that's two great games to have some rub of the green in.
Aye, especially as I don't see either of us dropping many points to the weaker sides, so those two games could be huge in the title race.

amolbhatia50k

To be fair Arsenal at home is easiest of the "big 6". Spurs and Liverpool are much harder. We've also faced Southampton away which is a painful fixture.

But otherwise I agree. It will be very hard to not be trailing City after those fixtures.

amolbhatia50k

Aye, especially as I don't see either of us dropping many points to the weaker sides, so those two games could be huge in the title race.
I suppose we really should be positive about matching their results vs Liverpool (not the scoreline). At home this United team should be besting Liverpool. I think even LvG managed that. Away to Chelsea is very hard of course.

Womp

idiot
I suppose we really should be positive about matching their results vs Liverpool (not the scoreline). At home this United team should be besting Liverpool. I think even LvG managed that. Away to Chelsea is very hard of course.
Knowing Liverpool they'll put in their performance of the season against us. Not to add we won't have our best player available. Not as confident going into it as most on here seem to be. Liverpool were looking the better side to me against City before Mane's sending off and their pace is deadly with Coutinho seemingly back in the side and settled.

I'm hopeful but I wouldn't he surprised at all if we lost. Hoping for a trademark Herrera big game performance he's capable of.

amolbhatia50k

Knowing Liverpool they'll put in their performance of the season against us. Not to add we won't have our best player available. Not as confident going into it as most on here seem to be. Liverpool were looking the better side to me against City before Mane's sending off and their pace is deadly with Coutinho seemingly back in the side and settled.

I'm hopeful but I wouldn't he surprised at all if we lost. Hoping for a trademark Herrera big game performance he's capable of.
Sorry I meant at home vs Liverpool. I think we should be winning that. The game at Anfield coming up will be very hard. But I suppose we need to start winning big games away from home if we want to be champions. It feels like our record away at Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and City (maybe even Arsenal?) has been very poor in recent times. We only tend to beat these sides at home.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I still think they would have beaten Chelsea either way. Chelsea lost that game before they stepped on the pitch through Conte's ultra defensive tactics.
I fear this is when they start opening a bit of a gap. Would be huge if we're still within 2 points off them over the next 6 league fixtures.

SirMattBugsby

We'll do fine, Herrera will take care of Coutinho. Only threat is Salah because he operates in an area which is our weakness.

We'll play long ball from defense, use Fellaini as advanced midfielder and the wings for attacking transition and crossing. Basically, we'll suck out their joy for pressing and score from a header.

Also, City will draw :)

Thunderhead

Supports
City

yeah we had a huge slice of luck in losing our best attacker to a freak accident and our only left back to an ACL in the days preceding the Chelsea game, people also forget we were 1 up on Liverpool and Jesus possibly should have had a second and were just starting to get on top of that game after we scored, I still think we'd have scored another 1 or 2 in that game even if 'pool had 11 players on the pitch.

Womp

idiot
yeah we had a huge slice of luck in losing our best attacker to a freak accident and our only left back to an ACL in the days preceding the Chelsea game, people also forget we were 1 up on Liverpool and Jesus possibly should have had a second and were just starting to get on top of that game after we scored, I still think we'd have scored another 1 or 2 in that game even if 'pool had 11 players on the pitch.
Injuries happen to all clubs. Our best player has been out for a while and doesn't seem to be coming back soon. Our best (and only proper) LB has been injured for about 3 years now.

What you think is hardly an indication of what would have transpired in the Liverpool game. When Mane was on the pitch, who is by far their best player, they were looking the more convincing side not to add their second best player wasn't even playing as he had his head set in Spain.

The Chelsea game you're talking of, the injuries were unfortunate of course, yet Chelsea lost their best (and tbf only proper) striker early in the game and their best player (who when fully firing is probably the best player in the league) was still recovering from a long term injury lay off.

You're clutching at straws if you genuinely believe City haven't been lucky this season. You've been great, don't get me wrong, but you've been blessed with a feck ton of luck, injuries as an exception (which is a problem for all clubs, your Manchester rivals and the Chelsea game you referred to.)

The fact of the matter is the games against the big clubs is what might be the difference between the two Manchester clubs this season and so far City has been blessed in both games. Even though they looked very impressive in both, things were made just that bit easier for them.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Injuries happen to all clubs. Our best player has been out for a while and doesn't seem to be coming back soon. Our best (and only proper) LB has been injured for about 3 years now.

What you think is hardly an indication of what would have transpired in the Liverpool game. When Mane was on the pitch, who is by far their best player, they were looking the more convincing side not to add their second best player wasn't even playing as he had his head set in Spain.

The Chelsea game you're talking of, the injuries were unfortunate of course, yet Chelsea lost their best (and tbf only proper) striker early in the game and their best player (who when fully firing is probably the best player in the league) was still recovering from a long term injury lay off.

You're clutching at straws if you genuinely believe City haven't been lucky this season. You've been great, don't get me wrong, but you've been blessed with a feck ton of luck, injuries as an exception (which is a problem for all clubs, your Manchester rivals and the Chelsea game you referred to.)

The fact of the matter is the games against the big clubs is what might be the difference between the two Manchester clubs this season and so far City has been blessed in both games. Even though they looked very impressive in both, things were made just that bit easier for them.
I disagree they were looking the far more convincing side, once we went one up we looked more like scoring than they did and we even had the better chance, players get injured but also players get sent off, to say City were lucky that Mane got sent of for a red card offence isn't anything to do with luck, we had to replace Ederson with Bravo which some would say was equaling things up anyway.

Morata was fair enough but then it's down to the manager to bring another striker on, I can't see how those two incidents equal a feck ton of luck when we've also had decisions like Walkers sending off v Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.