The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why so many people think that Spurs are bound to struggle at Wembley? Is it based only on results or rather on characteristics of the ground (say, too big for their tactics)?
Last season Spurs played 18 games at home and dropped 4 points. This season they've played 2 at home and already dropped 5. If they win every game from now onwards they've done worse than last season at home.

If any team had to play their home games "away", they'd struggle. It's a combination of many things, size, familiarity and in the case of Wembley, the opponents playing at the national stadium and raising their games.

Treble

Because they have struggled in Wembley, it is not rocket science to say that.

And as for tactics, yes playing in Wembley does affect their tactics. Poch plays high pressing football and it was easy in WHL, considering the pitch was narrow but Wembley is huge and it becomes tough to play high press football.
Last season Spurs played 18 games at home and dropped 4 points. This season they've played 2 at home and already dropped 5. If they win every game from now onwards they've done worse than last season at home.

If any team had to play their home games "away", they'd struggle. It's a combination of many things, size, familiarity and in the case of Wembley, the opponents playing at the national stadium and raising their games.
OK, thanks.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Why so many people think that Spurs are bound to struggle at Wembley? Is it based only on results or rather on characteristics of the ground (say, too big for their tactics)?
Both. They are used to a narrow pitch, now they have a wide pitch. Also the atmosphere is not at all intimidating.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I wondered the same. I'd see it as 2 points dropped, especially from being 2-1 up. It's not a disaster result and other sides will drop points there too, but it's not a massive point. Same way I'd see any points dropped next weekend at Watford as a bad result for City. I'd argue given the fixtures played both City and Chelsea will now be happier than United after 4 games.
Not really, it's better to have points on the board.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
City have the same points on the board

In quite happy with the start, it's not been great but we're undefeated and we've played 2 teams we often struggle against also there are enough signs that the defence has shown improvement and it looks as if there is plenty of improvement to come in all areas

Paul_Scholes18

Jepp, but the point is we have had the far easiest fixtures so far. I think we have probably played better than City, but they have got relatively better results.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So we need to win by 5 goals to return to the top tomorrow correct?

Ah well let's be honest we were never going to win the title by GD were we

charlenefan

The race will between us, City and maybe Chelsea

Not a chance Liverpool, Spurs or Arsenal will be anywhere near it

SirAF

Ageist
The race will between us, City and maybe Chelsea

Not a chance Liverpool, Spurs or Arsenal will be anywhere near it
Yeah, that was obvious before the season started - was never convinced Spurs would be able to sustain their run of 2nd and 3rd.

I think Chelsea will definitely be in it with United and City.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Liverpool and Spurs already 5 points off the pace, only 5 games in and already time to say they can't drop too many more or they are out of the running. If Chelsea beat Arsenal tomorrow, then you feel its must win at Leicester for Liverpool and at West Ham for Spurs or they will be practically out of it already.

Jaybomb

I honestly think we'll win the league by a good margain this season. I predict a 7-9 point gap.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Might be reading too much into it but sounds like he's saying we are in a fight for second.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Might be reading too much into it but sounds like he's saying we are in a fight for second.
Think he's saying that he isn't just focusing on City, that there's other teams to watch out for. Just worded it funnily.

cyberman

i
City won while the others dropped points.
It's about taking advantage of slip-ups

charlenefan

Can't believe we won 4-0 to level up the GD again, bet City fans are fuming lol

AXVnee7

I think he was meaning what he said in that Man City won, but all those teams he mentioned dropped points. Hence he's paying attention to them, and not City who did their business like ourselves. In other words today was an opportunity to capitalise on rivals dropping points- which we did. City is not of those teams.

Reddevildans

We've won against West ham and Everton, two games which we drew last season so progress is being made. Still think we are short, especially up front on the right. City should rightly be favourites, they have bought well and have a bagful of goals in them even if they suffer from injuries. Pogba will be a huge loss if hes out for 10 weeks or more.

AshfordLad

Yep people were ruling Chelsea out this time last year.
That was a freak season.

Normally by round 5-7 you can have a good Idea of who will be in the title race (other than arsenal) and by round 10-12 its pretty much confirmed. Freak occurrences come across about once in three to five seasons.

Its pretty much between City and United this season. No one else can come close to teams with that level of spending.

Paul_Scholes18

That was a freak season.

Normally by round 5-7 you can have a good Idea of who will be in the title race (other than arsenal) and by round 10-12 its pretty much confirmed. Freak occurrences come across about once in three to five seasons.

Its pretty much between City and United this season. No one else can come close to teams with that level of spending.
Just saying last season most people with me included did think City would win it. They won the first 6 and scored a lot of goals. It is a long season though and nothing is won or lost yet.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Think he's saying that he isn't just focusing on City, that there's other teams to watch out for. Just worded it funnily.
That's what he probably means. I expect Jose to challenge for the league this season.

AshfordLad

Just saying last season most people with me included did think City would win it. They won the first 6 and scored a lot of goals. It is a long season though and nothing is won or lost yet.
But surely in most seasons the team starting with 6 wins, you'd expect to be in the title race.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
City had a great start to the season last year. Guardiola's team will still get punished from time to time for being overly attacking in PL. It's definitely between City, Chelsea and Us.

AXVnee7

City have a superior attack, but we have the superior defence. Be interesting to see who blinks first.

I still also don't rule out Chelsea. They look the outsiders of a three horse race, but they've played 2 of the top 6 (obviously 5 teams to play) and come out with a respectable 4 points.

Paul_Scholes18

But surely in most seasons the team starting with 6 wins, you'd expect to be in the title race.
Yes you would. Also City was fighting at the top for a long time as well. Chelsea might find it harder to defend the title though. The extra motivation might be missing and they also lost Matic. Bakayoko looks good though, but they need to deal with more rotation this season. Although looking at all the top teams I think actually Arsenal have the best depth. Giroud, Walcott, Iwobi and Welbeck as attacking players that don't start. Many options in central midfield although I guess we shouldn't count Wilshere. Might lack some wingback options though. I think both us and City might struggle by not having that many rotational options. Although I can also seeing it not being a big problem.

Moonred

Need to win matches that we should like today. Everyone will drop points in tougher fixtures and a win against a good side in form can really push us. Still too early for anything other than a pat on the back for a job well done.

Dominos

That was a freak season.

They're 3 points off top spot, having played 2 of the top teams (we've played none). No chance they're not in contention as of right now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The thing for me is, to be honest, I don't expect us to win many of the big games. Maybe just one or two. We will draw the vast majority of them. I just can't see Jose having enough of a go, to take three points from many of the other top 6.

Paul_Scholes18

They're 3 points off top spot, having played 2 of the top teams (we've played none). No chance they're not in contention as of right now.
10 points after 5 games from Chelsea. Same as last season with arguably a bit harder fixtures so far this season. City got 2 less with easier fixtures this season.

Red Star One

If the title doesn't go to Manchester this season, both Pep and Jose should retire immediately :lol: This will be an exciting race, no doubt about it. Derby will be so special and crucial this year.

Dominos

The thing for me is, to be honest, I don't expect us to win many of the big games. Maybe just one or two. We will draw the vast majority of them. I just can't see Jose having enough of a go, to take three points from many of the other top 6.
How many do you need to win out of 10 vs the top teams? We won 2, lost 4 and drew 4 last season. Realistically we should do better than that this year.

SirAF

Ageist
If the title doesn't go to Manchester this season, both Pep and Jose should retire immediately :lol: This will be an exciting race, no doubt about it. Derby will be so special and crucial this year.
Tbf Chelsea are right in it.

SirAF

Ageist
Little doubt they are, but as of now both Manchester teams look much more convincing to me.
Hope you are right! I want it to be a two horse race. It's a pain in the ass to keep an eye on 3-4 other teams each weekend.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think he was on about taking advantage of that 4's poor results. Its not often the chance to gain points on 4 of your 5 rivals happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.