g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshfordLad

City and United almost inseparable at the top of the league. That is what all that money spent in the summer gets you.

Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs forming a tight chasing pack to challenge for top4. Arsenal and Everton also seem to be picking up some form and look like will soon come back to the top half near the top6. Fantastic season up ahead.

el3mel

City and United almost inseparable at the top of the league. That is what all that money spent in the summer gets you.

Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs forming a tight chasing pack to challenge for top4. Arsenal and Everton also seem to be picking up some form and look like will soon come back to the top half near the top6. Fantastic season up ahead.
Chelsea are much better functional team than Spurs and Liverpool. They'll challenge easily for the title.

City have a phenomenal form right now but the challenge is to keep this form through the season, as they looked gassed through the second half last season after a similar start.

Long season ahead and many things will still change.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

After just 6 games, when both teams have had pretty easy fixtures, you give this justification?

AshfordLad

After just 6 games, when both teams have had pretty easy fixtures, you give this justification?
You think City will be doing this well with Clichy, Sagna and Bravo? Or united doing this well without Lukaku and Matic?

SirAF

Ageist
I said we'd only know after today if the draw at Stoke was a good point or two dropped, I know Stoke were without all their CB's but looking like 2 dropped as Stoke continued their trend of conceding 4 at home against the better sides (Spurs twice, City, now Chelsea)

I expected City to pull clear on the GD today but hopefully we'll move ahead on points next weekend
A draw against teams outside the top 6 is ALWAYS two points down the drain imo. Especially of you look to win the league.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You think City will be doing this well with Clichy, Sagna and Bravo? Or united doing this well without Lukaku and Matic?
Both teams have improved, but as I've said, both have had pretty easy fixtures so far.

AshfordLad

Both teams have improved, but as I've said, both have had pretty easy fixtures so far.
United are +6 on points and +10 on goal diff compared to the same games last season. While City are +3 on points and +4 on goal diff for similar games.

You like doing these back tests don't you.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Have to say I'm very impressed by Chelsea. All that talk at this start of the season about how Conte was loosing his grip on the dressing room and board. Then they lose to Burnley at home seemingly creating further doubts. But their cohesion and tempo of play has been really good since then. And they've still got hazard to come back.

Tapori

I expect Benitez to have a big say somehow
This being a world cup year, form in all leagues should be up a notch.

Paul_Scholes18

We have had a great start. Chelsea and City will fight for it. Should not rule out the other top sides as well even if I have a hard time seeing them winning it. All top 6 sides have won this weekend so we need to keep winning games.

Paul_Scholes18

Chelsea are much better functional team than Spurs and Liverpool. They'll challenge easily for the title.

City have a phenomenal form right now but the challenge is to keep this form through the season, as they looked gassed through the second half last season after a similar start.

Long season ahead and many things will still change.
Yepp it is funny thinking back to last season regarding City. At this point they had a better start last season after 6 games. Then they lost in London in game 7. Will see if that happens again this season.

AshRK

We should be the happiest of the lot today. City were bound to win and Stoke and Hughes only show up against us so chelsea were expected to win. However us getting 3.points today was a doubt and glad we did that. Next week city/chelsea clash and I can see both dropping points. We must beat palace with a clean sheet. A solid 4-0 will do next week.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Odds
City 10/11
United 13/5
Chelsea 5/1
Spurs 14/1
Liverpool 25/1
Arsenal 30/1

Chelsea are a bit overpriced I feel.

Tapori

Really impressed and surprised by a Hazard-less Chelsea.
Think we'll challenge but it's between City and Chelsea with Pep IMO pipping it. Think their fluency and depth is incredible.
Though Europe and cup comps and our UK winter mayhem schedule is always an incredible hurdle for all league contenders.Throw in an injury or two and we'll see.

I'm just happy to get back to winning at home first, seeing some young'uns grow and fear at OT for opposition to come back with us finishing high up and going deep in the CL and cups

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think the best hope with regards to City is that they get overly ambitious and start talking about winning everything possible or going the season unbeaten. They've got a history (and Arsenal) of saying daft things and mounting too much pressure on themselves. Chelsea seem to have a relatively easy time, everyone saying they had a terrible transfer window and sort of writing them off for the title at the beginning. Suits them nicely.

NYAS

:lol: All this pessimistic shite being spouted in here as if we've never hung on for a 1-0 win away from home, ever. No, we've always smashed teams 6-0, in every single game.

And then you kids compare it to City's game today, of course with zero context regarding opposition, venue, style of play and anything else, and you get people saying we'll battle for 4th. Not sure what else I was expecting...

Dante

Average bang
Odds
City 10/11
United 13/5
Chelsea 5/1
Spurs 14/1
Liverpool 25/1
Arsenal 30/1

I think there's a big three, then Spurs and Liverpool fighting it out for 4th.

Over the next couple of seasons, Tottenham will fall away completely and we'll have a Big 4 again like there was a decade ago.

AshfordLad

I think there's a big three, then Spurs and Liverpool fighting it out for 4th.

Over the next couple of seasons, Tottenham will fall away completely and we'll have a Big 4 again like there was a decade ago.
Arsenal will come back as soon as Wenger is gone. They will probably get Allegri and might even win a title.

Yagami

Good post resistant
:lol: All this pessimistic shite being spouted in here as if we've never hung on for a 1-0 win away from home, ever. No, we've always smashed teams 6-0, in every single game.

And then you kids compare it to City's game today, of course with zero context regarding opposition, venue, style of play and anything else, and you get people saying we'll battle for 4th. Not sure what else I was expecting...
I've felt we've been flattering to deceive all season. Scorelines have been great but the performances themselves haven't been that impressive. I'm still not fully convinced we'll be in the title race in a couple or so months.

AXVnee7

Three horse race that may go down to two. The standards being set are just too high at the moment.

AshfordLad

Against 3 of the 7 richest clubs in the world? I doubt it. Football has become an Oligarchy.
Yes. Since they are the 8th richest club in the world.

Also, I meant they would knock Liverpool right of they 4th spot at the very least.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Odds
City 10/11
United 13/5
Chelsea 5/1
Spurs 14/1
Liverpool 25/1
Arsenal 30/1

I'm obviously biased but I'd say Chelsea are easily the best value for money there-don't think there's much between the top 3 frankly, so getting 5/1 odds on any of them is a bargain. Granted, Chelsea are 3 points behind but we've also played the hardest schedule out of the top 3 thus far if you ask me so it's a bit of a wash.

Jerch

Chelsea will be up there, City of course also if they continue their form but what about us. Well tbf we have been pretty good and I still think we have a lot reserves. I mean in my opinion the best attacker we have is Martial and he is used as a sub in PL. Totally expect him to be one of the first names you would expect in the first team at the end of the season. There is also Ibra coming back and the likes of Herrera on the bench. I think it will be a close race between us, City and Chelsea. Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool will fight for 4th and I expect Tottenham to win that race.

Paul_Scholes18

I'm obviously biased but I'd say Chelsea are easily the best value for money there-don't think there's much between the top 3 frankly, so getting 5/1 odds on any of them is a bargain. Granted, Chelsea are 3 points behind but we've also played the hardest schedule out of the top 3 thus far if you ask me so it's a bit of a wash.
Jepp totally agree. 5/1 is very high for you. I feel you should have the same odds as us.

RonW

From what I've seen so far, the title will be between us and Citeh. Yes, Chelsea are playing well and they have had the hardest fixtures so far but I don't think their defense is as strong and if Morata gets injured they will struggle to score goals. The 0-4 win against Stoke was very flattering and it could easily have been a 2-2 draw. The only difference was Stoke missed their chances and Chelsea were very clinical with Morata. I still think Lukaku is slightly better than Morata. Morata has the skill and technique while Lukaku has the pace and stamina and has more experience which is what you need in the PL.

To Citeh now, De Bruyne is their main playmaker. He is the engine in their midfield and if teams can stop him, they will stop half of City's attacks coming through. They are definitely the best attacking side in the PL and we come nowhere near them but our defense and goalkeeper are wayy better than them. Ultimately it'll come down to whether their stronger and upgraded attack can compensate for their alright defense. It didn't work out last season and I think teams will soon figure this out and sit back and attack them on the counter.

For Liverpool, I do not think they will be in the top 4 this season. Their attack is PS4 like, but equally they are very poor in defense and they also don't have a Striker who will score 20+ goals in the league like the other top teams do.

For us, I think we have the best defense and the best counter attacking side in the PL. I know some of us fans don't want Zlatan back now, but we'll definitely start needing him if Lukaku gets injured or tired and burned out after playing 2 games every week. He'll definitely strengthen us, and I think if we can steer clear of injuries we can definitely be challenging for the title come April. I do think City have the better chance, but I wouldn't count us out.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Nicolarra90

United are +6 on points and +10 on goal diff compared to the same games last season. While City are +3 on points and +4 on goal diff for similar games.

You like doing these back tests don't you.
We are 4 points better and City is 2 points worse than last season at this stage. :confused::confused:

SalfordRed1960

Odds
City 10/11
United 13/5
Chelsea 5/1
Spurs 14/1
Liverpool 25/1
Arsenal 30/1

Well overpriced.

The odds for Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal are way off too.

Though I think City are favourites, the other 5 teams should compete just as well against the non top 6 sides. So it really will be who fairs best in the top 6 matches.

Going to be an interesting season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I just can't see how will city drop points in smaller matches. That is my biggest worry.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I just can't see how will city drop points in smaller matches. That is my biggest worry.
This. And I'm certain it's a thought shared by a lot of players of those smaller teams. I think they're winning matches before the whistle these days.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
This. And I'm certain it's a thought shared by a lot of players of those smaller teams. I think they're winning matches before the whistle these days.
I agree actually. We had the same feeling about us in 11/12 at home where teams would just come and they'd already decided it was a defeat (we took 55/57 points at home that year). It's not such an easy thing to replicate away from home though and I'm convinced all of the title challengers will drop points away.

Saints away was a big 3 points, they're the kind of games that settle the title for me. Palace H will be brushed aside next week again.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Exactly. Saints and stoke went on win against us for example. And teams against city from the start park the bus and pray for small loss. You can hate them, you can think about pep that he is overrated but they have that fear factor now that allows them to play free flowing football.
Also city on every match is dominant side. They will even go in liverpool or stamford bridge and play whole 90 mins as dominant side. On the other hand, we will park the bus and pray for one point. I am not against parking the bus... in last 10 minutes. But i am not for the way how jose do it in recent years. Whole game or even whole half is too much to play like that. It is goal waiting to happen.

JustinC00

So what does that say about Spurs? Out of 6 games 3 of them were against teams that were apart of United's "pretty easy" fixtures.

United
9 points
12 Goals
0 Allowed

Spurs
7 points
6 Goals
2 Allowed

AN17

City will have a huge advantage in terms of coping with injuiries to key attacking players due to their depth. For us it will depend on how the manager micro manages each game and each player throughout the season. On most days City will blitz through the cannon fodder, whereas we will find it a bit more labourious to put away teams comfortably. As a result how we come out of bad games like yesterday would prove to be a crucial factor in title race. And the big games too, last year we lost once each to Arsenal, City, Chelsea and Spurs. The loss tally in these games must certainly come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.