The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshfordLad

Yes you would. Also City was fighting at the top for a long time as well. Chelsea might find it harder to defend the title though. The extra motivation might be missing and they also lost Matic. Bakayoko looks good though, but they need to deal with more rotation this season. Although looking at all the top teams I think actually Arsenal have the best depth. Giroud, Walcott, Iwobi and Welbeck as attacking players that don't start. Many options in central midfield although I guess we shouldn't count Wilshere. Might lack some wingback options though. I think both us and City might struggle by not having that many rotational options. Although I can also seeing it not being a big problem.
Arsenal may have many players in each position but they are mostly all sub-par from title challenge level. The likes or Ramsey and Walcott cant seem to maintain a consistent run of form for more than a few games.
What Chelsea lack most this season is the impact of Costa. Even though Costa did not score as many goals as Kane or Lukaku last season, I am quite sure he scored in more games than both of them (pretty much a goal every game he scored). The amount of games he opened up for Chelsea was insane. Chelsea wont be in the mix until Morata can start doing that which likely wont be this season.

They're 3 points off top spot, having played 2 of the top teams (we've played none). No chance they're not in contention as of right now.
Mid week games and a drop in quality upfront. Possibly less motivation than last season. Pep and Jose pretty much hanging on to their reputation by the last thread. Many reasons for Chelsea to be not in the race in a serious way.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
That was a freak season.

Normally by round 5-7 you can have a good Idea of who will be in the title race (other than arsenal) and by round 10-12 its pretty much confirmed. Freak occurrences come across about once in three to five seasons.

Its pretty much between City and United this season. No one else can come close to teams with that level of spending.
You're putting Chelsea down to much particularly as they have spent £70m on a striker and £40m on a midfielder (roughly). Chelsea were also just Chris Cahill feck up away from having the same amount of points as City and United.

Treble

Chelsea failed to impress today but it is too early to write them off. They've had more difficult fixtures than other contenders and Hazard has barely played. Early days.

el3mel

Chelsea failed to impress today but it is too early to write them off. They've had more difficult fixtures than other contenders and Hazard has barely played. Early days.
I think it's just an off day for them. Fabregas can't form a partnership with Kante in a 2 men midfield though. Once Hazard returns to being starter they should play with Bakayoko and Kante in midfield with their original 3 upfront.

They'll come good and challenge easily.

Reiver

Pleased with the gap we have over teams who finished above us last season.

I think it's too early to say it's a 2/3 horse race. It's definitely too early to be writing Chelsea off ffs.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
We've won against West ham and Everton, two games which we drew last season so progress is being made. Still think we are short, especially up front on the right. City should rightly be favourites, they have bought well and have a bagful of goals in them even if they suffer from injuries. Pogba will be a huge loss if hes out for 10 weeks or more.
We've had easy games at the start of the season which we should be winning,October will be interesting.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
How many months in a row were Liverpool favourites in the title race last season. Before we suddenly weren't?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
City will no doubt shit on Palace this weekend, so a win against Southampton is a must given that Chelsea and City are next week. We practically always dropped points last season when our rivals would face each other - super infuriating.

A win on Saturday and a win next Sunday will do us wonders for our confidence. Going into that next international break before Liverpool is so key.

I'm just happy we look like we might put up a real challenge for the first time since Fergie retired. It's very early days, but it seems Jose has a clear game plan, and we look a much stronger proposition this season. City will be the team to beat: they've also improved, whereas Chelsea don't look as strong. I still can't believe they sold Matic to us!

SirAF

Ageist
City will no doubt shit on Palace this weekend, so a win against Southampton is a must given that Chelsea and City are next week. We practically always dropped points last season when our rivals would face each other - super infuriating.

A win on Saturday and a win next Sunday will do us wonders for our confidence. Going into that next international break before Liverpool is so key.
Yup. Could be two points clear next weekend! The Saints game is going to be a bitch though.

Treble

Our first real test, for me, of the new season comes today at Southampton. If we win, I'll seriously begin to think we can challenge.
Weren't Stoke a real test? Scored 2 and forced brilliant saves by DDG. Are Southampton any better than Stoke now?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Weren't Stoke a real test? Scored 2 and forced brilliant saves by DDG. Are Southampton any better than Stoke now?
We should've beaten Stoke. Most were actually confident we'd get the result. Two points dropped after the fact doesn't necessarily mean we felt it would be a stern test pre-match.

The vibe for the away trip to Southampton is entirely different. This will be a very hard-earned win if we manage to get it.

Moonred

We should've beaten Stoke. Most were actually confident we'd get the result. Two points dropped after the fact doesn't necessarily mean we felt it would be a stern test pre-match.

The vibe for the away trip to Southampton is entirely different. This will be a very hard-earned win if we manage to get it.
Our record at Stoke in recent times have been pretty poor. It was as much as a test for me as Soton.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Our first real test, for me, of the new season comes today at Southampton. If we win, I'll seriously begin to think we can challenge.
As expected, Southampton are proving to be our most difficult challenge to date. Vital we see this out now as both City and Chelsea are coasting to victories.

Skills

Snitch
United, Chelsea & City all win this weekend. Setting themselves up in a 3 horsed race.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
CHE v MCI next up while we face palace :drool:
Winner of that game is in a great position given the fixtures played. Chelsea are a real threat while people keep banging on about City v United. If they win they've played some very tough games and stayed the course.

Skills

Snitch
Winner of that game is in a great position given the fixtures played. Chelsea are a real threat while people keep banging on about City v United. If they win they've played some very tough games and stayed the course.
Contes league record is nothing to be sniffed at. They've gone under the radar again like last season but they're right in it.

cyberman

It's not the toughness of the games that weakens Chelsea's argument but their squad depth over the season. Their results thus far doesn't really change that

AshRK

Good solid 3 points that's what counts. But jose must not resort to this tactics , he must trust his attackers more.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Loving this season so far. We've just won 5,6 and 5-0, we're barely ahead of you guys on GD and we go to Chelsea next week who are bang in form and only 3 points off both of us.

All of Aguero, Lukaku, Morata, Kane and Jesus have started the season with a bang (albeit Kane a couple of weeks late). Shaping up to be a belter.

Traub

Loving this season so far. We've just won 5,6 and 5-0, we're barely ahead of you guys on GD and we go to Chelsea next week who are bang in form and only 3 points off both of us.

All of Aguero, Lukaku, Morata, Kane and Jesus have started the season with a bang (albeit Kane a couple of weeks late). Shaping up to be a belter.
Best striker collection in the world? Still the likes of Firminho, Lacazette, Rashford and Martial as the supporting cast (Zlatan to come back too). I'm honestly starting to think it rivals La Liga.

Eddy_JukeZ

Still relatively early. We haven't played a top team yet.

I really hope that 2nd half performance was a one-off from us today.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Best striker collection in the world? Still the likes of Firminho, Lacazette, Rashford and Martial as the supporting cast (Zlatan to come back too). I'm honestly starting to think it rivals La Liga.
Its tighter, La Liga for me still has 3 better teams than the premierships best can offer but I think the gap is much closer than 2-3 years ago. Knocking on the door I'd say. I wouldn't rule out one of the prem teams upsetting one of the Spaniards is the ko's of the CL, United I think could well stifle Barca if they can contain Messi.

Shaping up to be a fantastic season

Traub

Its tighter, La Liga for me still has 3 better teams than the premierships best can offer but I think the gap is much closer than 2-3 years ago. Knocking on the door I'd say. I wouldn't rule out one of the prem teams upsetting one of the Spaniards is the ko's of the CL, United I think could well stifle Barca if they can contain Messi.
Yeah it may very well happen. I suppose the biggest problem may be that the English teams won't be able to take their eyes off the league and focus a bit more on the champions league.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I said we'd only know after today if the draw at Stoke was a good point or two dropped, I know Stoke were without all their CB's but looking like 2 dropped as Stoke continued their trend of conceding 4 at home against the better sides (Spurs twice, City, now Chelsea)

I expected City to pull clear on the GD today but hopefully we'll move ahead on points next weekend

OneUnited24

Contes league record is nothing to be sniffed at. They've gone under the radar again like last season but they're right in it.
I still think the size of their squad with more games will struggle. Right now they're keeping pace and credit to them but i honestly think they'll fall away

diarm

I reckon the top 4 as it is this evening will be how it ends up in May.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I just can't see City not winning it. Teams brick themselves before they go on to the pitch, which is why their weakest area - defence - is never exposed. Teams just don't have the balls to really throw the kitchen sink at them because they're scared of City's attack. It's a great thing to have, and is something we need to regain.

Ludens the Red

Think city will win it because they'll absolutely destroy the shit, Chelsea and Liverpool to run them close. We still look too mish mash to me to be able to be up there though the season, though i hope I'm wrong. Us and Spurs fighting for 4th. Arsenal a distant fifth.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Think city will win it because they'll absolutely destroy the shit, Chelsea and Liverpool to run them close. We still look too mish mash to me to be able to be up there though the season, though i hope I'm wrong. Us and Spurs fighting for 4th. Arsenal a distant fifth.
You are way too good defensively to finish below Liverpool imho. We will destory the shit but we are more likely to lose (at least away to the big teams) while you are more likely to pick up points in the big games away. I could well see it being the case of us beating you on points but you guy's with less losses if that makes sense. Can't see there being more than 5 points between the current top 3.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Said at the start we'll finish 3rd. More and more convinced.

Ludens the Red

You are way too good defensively to finish below Liverpool imho. We will destory the shit but we are more likely to lose (at least away to the big teams) while you are more likely to pick up points in the big games away. I could well see it being the case of us beating you on points but you guy's with less losses if that makes sense. Can't see there being more than 5 points between the current top 3.
Liverpool a lot better going forward than us though. Coutinho being back and playing well is massive for them, the problem with the league is I think in the current era, being reckless at the back won't get you punished enough as a top side because there's a lot of teams who seem to be prey for a severe beating this year more than any other year.

Status
Not open for further replies.