The Transfer Window so far.....

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Assuming we get Pogba, and ther other clubs finalize their impeding deals (Wijnaldum to LFC, Gabriel Jesus to City etc), rate the top 5 transfer windows in the Premier League up to now.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
I think it's been quiet so far.
The money going around seems quite absurd, we're seeing the likes of Watford turn down £30m and all clubs can spend big.
Zlatan is probably the biggest one but I don't think he'll reach the heights he did with PSG, should still be a good signing though.
Man City getting Gundogan might be good, depends on if he can stay fit.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
If we're ignoring fees then you clearly come in at number one.

I'd be happy enough with ours if we get a good left back in. Not world beating but it's alright.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
1. United
2. Chelsea
3. Spurs
4. City
5. Liverpool

Last edited:

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
United - 1st
Outs - Valdes, Powell (~£0m)
Weaknesses - RB, CB, DM, AM, RW, ST
Ins - Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic, (Pogba) (~£51m)

City - 2nd
Outs
- Demichelis, Wright (~£0m)
Weaknesses - RB, LB, CB, DM, LW
Ins - Nolito, Gundogan, (Sane) (~£34m)

Chelsea - 3rd
Outs
- Amelia (~£0m)
Weaknesses - RB, CB, CM, Cover
Ins - Batshuayi, Kante (~£65m)

Liverpool - 4th
Outs
- Rossiter, Enrique, Toure, Yesil, Texeira, Sinclair, Skrtel, Ibe (~£27m)
Weaknesses - GK, LB, CB, DM, CM, RW
Ins - Matip, Karius, Mane, Klavan (~£39m)

Spurs - 5th
Outs
- (~£0m)
Weaknesses - RW, Cover
Ins - Wanyama, Janssen, N'Koudou (~£39m)

Arsenal - 6th
Outs
- Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky (~£3m)
Weaknesses - ST, CB
Ins - Xhaka, Asano (~£31m)

Leicester - 7th
Outs
- Kante, Kramaric (~£40m)
Weaknesses - RB, ST, LM, Cover
Ins - Zieler, Hernandez, Mendy, Musa (~£32m)

Didn't really account for ageing or homegrown quota, and I don't really care about the rest of the teams.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
United - 1st
Outs
- Valdes, Powell (~£0m)
Weaknesses - RB, CB, DM, AM, RW, ST
Ins - Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic, (Pogba) (~£51m)

City - 2nd
Outs
- Demichelis, Wright (~£0m)
Weaknesses - RB, LB, CB, DM, LW
Ins - Nolito, Gundogan, (Sane) (~£34m)

Chelsea - 3rd
Outs
- Amelia (~£0m)
Weaknesses - RB, CB, CM, Cover
Ins - Batshuayi, Kante (~£65m)

Liverpool - 4th
Outs
- Rossiter, Enrique, Toure, Yesil, Texeira, Sinclair, Skrtel, Ibe (~£27m)
Weaknesses - GK, LB, CB, DM, CM, RW
Ins - Matip, Karius, Mane, Klavan (~£39m)

Spurs - 5th
Outs
- (~£0m)
Weaknesses - RW, Cover
Ins - Wanyama, Janssen, N'Koudou (~£39m)

Arsenal - 6th
Outs
- Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky (~£3m)
Weaknesses - ST, CB
Ins - Xhaka, Asano (~£31m)

Leicester - 7th
Outs
- Kante, Kramaric (~£40m)
Weaknesses - RB, ST, LM, Cover
Ins - Zieler, Hernandez, Mendy, Musa (~£32m)

Didn't really account for ageing or homegrown quota, and I don't really care about the rest of the teams.
Arsenal really have had a horrendous window so far.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We're on top

Chelsea/City/Arsenal/Liverpool/The rest are pretty tame for the big 6 standards.

But finger crossed hope our signing delivers, which I'm confident they will as they're well tested and not a one season wonder (cough...memphis)

suheilsworld

I think people are really underestimating signing Liverpool have done and going by what Leicester did last season with some unknown names, Liverpool signing might surprise us. Having said that we can file what happened with Leicester (transfer and position wise) a one-off event.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think people are really underestimating signing Liverpool have done and going by what Leicester did last season with some unknown names, Liverpool signing might surprise us. Having said that we can file what happened with Leicester (transfer and position wise) a one-off event.
Nah, wijnaldum didn't set the world alight last year, and Newcastle got relegated.

Signing a hungry unknown championship player is a different story, signing a relegation victim is another.

suheilsworld

Nah, wijnaldum didn't set the world alight last year, and Newcastle got relegated.

Signing a hungry unknown championship player is a different story, signing a relegation victim is another.
He was quite decent considering he was playing with quite a poor team with a clueless manager. He had 11 goals (most for a Newcastle player) and 5 assist. He might just be more effective with relatively better players at Liverpool around him.

Chip

1. United
2. City (assuming they get Sané and Gündogan can stay somewhat fit)
3. Chelsea
4. Middlesbrough (not top talent, but quite impressive names they've got when they've just been promoted)
5. West Ham

But to be honest, transfer windows shouldn't be rated until the season has really begun, preferably until the end of the season. Remember how the muppet juices were all flowing over after the Di Maria/Falcao window? Look how that went. That was probably rated as one of the league's best windows at the beginning of the season, but as one of the worst at the end of the season...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He was quite decent considering he was playing with quite a poor team with a clueless manager. He had 11 goals (most for a Newcastle player) and 5 assist. He might just be more effective with relatively better players at Liverpool around him.
So does allen/lallana before they come to Liverpool.

I wouldn't write off wijnaldum, but on the flip side I won't bet on him to suddenly notch up a level or two. Sometimes being a smaller fish in a bigger pond isn't always more productive. Some players are meant to be a small fish in a big pond.

Varun

Staff
Us followed by City. That said, we said the same last year but poor management made an utter clusterfeck out of it. Let's see how well we use these signings vs other clubs doing the same with theirs, that's all that matters.

suheilsworld

So does allen/lallana before they come to Liverpool.

I wouldn't write off wijnaldum, but on the flip side I won't bet on him to suddenly notch up a level or two. Sometimes being a smaller fish in a bigger pond isn't always more productive. Some players are meant to be a small fish in a big pond.
Agree but what I am trying to say is that some of the people are basing their list purely on the big name signing that clubs have done as opposed to really addressing the needs of the club. Most people have Chelsea on their list but they are yet to address their defense. Kante looks like a proven bet but Batshuayi is a huge gamble and defensively they need to invest in someone more reliable than Terry and Cahill.

Rafateria

1. United : though you still need a DM and Ibra is just a stop gap, Mkhitaryan is fantastic business though and Pogba is great).
2. Liverpool : not on this forum but the majority of Liverpool fans are quite happy, especially if we can get in a better RB and a strong CM before the window closes. Have upgraded in most of the areas that needed it (GK, CB, RW, pace and goals from midfield).
3. City : solid additions, still some gaps to fill.
4. Leicester : so far so good but by the end of the window I'll be surprised, but happy for them, if they've managed to keep hold of Mahrez and Drinkwater (I know there is talk of new contracts but that really means SFA).

No-one else stands out. Chelsea really need another top quality CB, though another season for Ivanovic at RB wouldn't be the end of the world, excellent player. Arsenal need at the very least a top striker and competition for places, and Spurs need to do something to upgrade their team, some not more than average players scattered around.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
@Rafateria , The whole idea is for Zlatan to be a stop gap, imagine the pressure on Rash \ Martial as our two main strikers with being so young and in their second season. With Zlatan there will be zero fecks given about the pressure, and there will be lots due to United being United, Mourinho etc.

Rafateria

@Rafateria , The whole idea is for Zlatan to be a stop gap, imagine the pressure on Rash \ Martial as our two main strikers with being so young and in their second season. With Zlatan there will be zero fecks given about the pressure, and there will be lots due to United being United, Mourinho etc.
Yes I understand that. It wasn't a covert criticism of the signing. I've my doubts how he and Rooney (I assume they will rotate to a degree) will cope at their ages but it should get you through the season. The only concern in that regard I'd have is whether Martial will be given the time he needs to progress by playing as CF.

Rafateria

Really? I thought Ivanovic looked like he's lost a step, and he wasn't the quickest bloke around to begin with. Definitely think they need an upgrade on him.
Maybe it's just me but I think he's been a great player for them and his threat down the right and at set pieces is still worth a place in the side. With solid CBs (if they get them) and Kante he should be well covered.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Anyone else think that Mourinho isn't entirely satisfied with the defensive capabilities of our MF? Mourinho has always favoured a solid and defensive base of midfield.

If you look at some of the other teams defensive options our options isn't exactly convincing.

Chelsea: Kante, Matic
PSG: Matuidi (defensively astute), Verratti (good at holding and tackling), Krychowiak (the one that got away?)
City: Fernando, Fernandinho
Arse: Xhaka, Coquelin
Spurs: Dier, Dembele, Wanyama

While we have Schneiderlin that admittedly can come good, Blind that doesn't hold up physically for a Mourinho DM, and an ageing Carrick and Schweinsteiger. TFM is too young yet.

IMO defensively our midfield is lacking both in physicality, movement and aggressivity, especially for a Mourinho midfield.

I see that a lot of rival fans are aknowledging that we are lacking in the DM department, but I rarely see it discussed amongst us United supporters in all the attackers and Poggers discussion.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We've pretty much had one of the better windows in Europe this summer - who has had a better one.....Dortmund, Bayern perhaps ?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
4. Middlesbrough (not top talent, but quite impressive names they've got when they've just been promoted)
Surprised that anyone would mention Boro. Honestly feel they may pull off a QPR here. Signing high profile players, but most past their peak

Z_Wolf

We still need atleast one CB perhaps an experienced one, a RB and CM. and I'm assuming Pogba will be ours.

Chip

Surprised that anyone would mention Boro. Honestly feel they may pull off a QPR here. Signing high profile players, but most past their peak
I see your point, and I thought about it myself for a short period of time. But they're absolutely not past their peak, don't know where you get that from.
Barragan is 19, Fischer is 22, De Roon is 25, Espinosa is 27, McGhee is 19(on loan). Then you have Barragan at 29, Valdes at 34(but he's a goalkeeper) and Negredo at 30, but he's only at loan - so if he fails, they're not stuck with his wages, which is usually QPR's problem.

They're actually almost all very young, and there could potentially be a couple of steals among the younger players. It actually seems to be almost quite the opposite of QPR's usual strategy, athough I will give you that it's a lot of new faces needed to be integrated into the team at once. But let's see. As I posted above, it's too soon to judge a transfer window before it's even halfway done.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I see your point, and I thought about it myself for a short period of time. But they're absolutely not past their peak, don't know where you get that from.
Barragan is 19, Fischer is 22, De Roon is 25, Espinosa is 27, McGhee is 19(on loan). Then you have Barragan at 29, Valdes at 34(but he's a goalkeeper) and Negredo at 30, but he's only at loan - so if he fails, they're not stuck with his wages, which is usually QPR's problem.

They're actually almost all very young, and there could potentially be a couple of steals among the younger players. It actually seems to be almost quite the opposite of QPR's usual strategy, athough I will give you that it's a lot of new faces needed to be integrated into the team at once. But let's see. As I posted above, it's too soon to judge a transfer window before it's even halfway done.
I meant mainly about the high profile players- like you mentioned in your original post. Negredo was awful in his PL spell, and there is no reason why he'd be better this time. And as far as Valdes is concerned, he wasn't convincing in his loan spell in Belgium as per reports. They were quality players, but there's a big question mark about how they will be this season. Its tricky, and if they turn out to be like Rio for QPR, they may be relegated pretty early
Although I agree with your post, that on the whole they have done decent business.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Liverpool buying all and sundry and getting their business done nice and early. They may not be the biggest names but if Klopp can do his thing, they could all gel together to become some unit.

Arsenal, forever the perennial shockers.

Leicester doing ok and if West Ham get Bacca, that would be a major coup. Still pretty slow at the moment though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
United clearly best window looking only at the players ignoring fees. Liverpool though has had a good one too, wijnaldum, a new keeper, Mane, Matip and a few others strengthening their squad considerably. City not done much yet, bought Gundogan but he has his injuries and Nolito who is decent but nothing extreme. Arsenal basically nothing though Xhaka is a good signing. Chelsea once they fix up the defence will be a lot better too. Up top and with Kante its looking good though. Spurs and leicester have done alright overall too. Honestly, the only top half sides I dont think will improve next season will be Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal. Leicester because they cant, spurs because the others will improve more then them, so they will drop but not due to them not getting better per se. Arsenal will just be same as always unless they sign a good striker in which case they would be up there for the title. United city chelsea and liverpool will all be a lot better though, considering they were all poor last season and improved the team with signings and managers.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I think we've clearly made the best signings but we still don't have the best squad. Given that they'll all need to gel in too and we need to adjust to a new manager I would be very happy with a top 3 finish.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I feel like we should revise this, now that we have a few more interesting developments to take into account. I'm including all first-team-relevant movements which include loans and returns but not future transfers (Jesus for example). Fans of other clubs could offer some valuable input on their expected transfer dealings.

Leicester:
In: Musa, Mendy, Kapustka, Zieler, Luis Hernandez
Out: Kante

Arsenal:
In: Xhaka, Debuchy
Out: Flamini, Rosicky, Arteta

Tottenham:
In: Janssen, Wanyama
Out: -

Manchester City:
In: Gundogan, Sane, Nolito, Stones
Out: Demichelis, Nasri, Mangala, Bony? (last three assumed)

Manchester United:
In: Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Mikhitaryan, Bailly
Out (assumed): Schweinsteiger, Januzaj

Liverpool:
In: Mane, Wijnaldum, Karius, Matip, Klavan, Grujic, Markovic
Out: Ibe, Allen, Skrtel, Toure, Benteke? (assumed)

Chelsea:
In: Batschuayi, Kante, Cuadrado
Out: Baba, Falcao

How would you rate them?

Last edited:

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Including Gabriel Jesus for City (they have bought him, even if he won't be joining until January) - I'd say they've done some good business. They were an ageing team, but have bought some promising young players. Not sure how it will work out, but they do have potential. They might not feel the full benefit this season, but in 3 years they could be looking back at this transfer window feeling extremely pleased with themselves. Or not, but that's the way it goes with youth.

Liverpool have bought well for the system they play. They're benefiting from having a manager who had a season to evaluate the weaknesses of the squad and the types of players he needs to achieve his goals. They might not be the most exciting names, but Leicester proved last season that a collective can be stronger than its individual parts if set-up correctly.

Chelsea - hard to say at the moment. Kante is a good buy, but I think they needed him less than any of the other big teams. Cuadrado could do well if Conte gets him playing like he does in Italy, but that's not a given. Batshuayi should add a much needed injection of pace up front. Costa leaving might hurt, but he wasn't great last season and if his heart isn't in it they could be better off. Especially if they replace him with Lukaku.

Tottenham haven't bought many, but they already had a young squad so a lot of the improvement should come from within. Wanyama is a good purchase, and Janssen should be a decent addition as a back-up striker. Will Champions League football stretch their squad though?

Leicester have done alright. Losing their best players was always a possibility so they're doing well considering Kante is the only one that left (so far). But they'll need Mendy to do well to get near Kante's level. Musa looks a good addition.

Arsenal - hmmmm! Xhaka is a good player but I'm not sure they needed him greatly. Their midfield is the strongest area of the pitch so they should have been looking at strikers and defenders. If they don't make further additions they could be in trouble.

Us - we have had an incredible transfer window. Not only have we bought quality players, but Mourinho, Zlatan and Pogba all bring a self-belief and confidence that this team really needs. I think we're still short in a few areas and, while I'm excited by Bailly, our defence still looks a bit too shaky. It benefited from LvG's set-up last year so it could struggle without that 'safety net'. Further up the pitch, Zlatan gives the team a clinical edge that we've lacked, and Martial, Mkhitaryan, Shaw and Valencia should give him plenty of service from out wide. The biggest challenge will be getting the best out of Rooney or having the balls to drop him if he doesn't improve. If we continue to keep him in the team when he underperforms we'll be shooting ourselves in the foot and undermining the good work we've done this transfer window.