The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
How do you explain the phenomenon of Florida Man?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan/

Everything I've read about Florida suggests it's a hellhole. Packed full of tourists combined with rednecks combined with humidity and hurricanes.

Of course that'll probably be entirely wrong but still.

Honestly I don't really want to visit the US at the minute, I don't believe that it isn't in some way exactly how it's currently portrayed and that's enough to put me off, even if the chances of it being like that are minute to say the least. I've wanted to go for years and go from coast to coast but I just really can't think of it, or the people positively at the minute.

Sad I know and I'm willing to hold my hands up and admit I wouldn't know unless I went but that's the power of what's going on over there at the minute. Trump truly sickens me to my core and I don't want any part of something he controls.
It was a joke considering my location status being what it is. In fairness, Florida is crazy. It's history is crazy. But don't let the media determine your reality. Trump is an embarrassment to the nation and many people feel this way, Floridians included. Living here is one thing, but don't be put off from visiting (Cocoa Beach is wank, though) because of an asshat running the country. As far as idiots living here, just remember that this is Earth and idiots are everywhere. Alternatively, some people here are put off by places like Spain or Germany because they're afraid to be ran over by a van or blown up. Also look at it this way — I was in DC just over two weeks ago and observed countless foreigners going about their business with no problem. Even Saudi women fully covered head-to-toe were out with their kids taking photos of the White House.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
"Donald Trump" Paraded on Dog Leash in Streets of St. Petersburg

Passersby in St. Petersburg watched in amazement as a bare-chested and tattooed man wearing a Donald Trump mask was led on a leash down Nevsky Prospect, the main street of the city. Aleksandr Donskoy, the former mayor of Arkhangelsk, held the other end of the leash and gave orders to "Trump the dog," who barked and snarled at bystanders. Footage of the "artistic display," which was intended to highlight disappointment at the U.S. President's unfulfilled promises, was posted on YouTube on August 28.

Jericholyte2

Just taken a quick look at this...

Very interesting look at the whole situation. The idea of the combined history and the shared language making us believe that England and the USA have mutual culture / morals / ideologies.

When you look at some of the key feature of US culture these days, religion, race, wealth, guns etc, they are WORLDS apart from us, however, because of the language, we trick ourselves into using our logic when looking at their decisions.

Now obviously Trump isn't a "typical" example of an American but I know plenty of people who are living / have lived in America who saw something like this coming for the past decade.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Thus there is no actual opposition.
Is this exactly what it looks like to the rest of the world?

Are all the Democrats hiding under their beds? Have all the republicans 'against Trump' gone fishing?
Has Donald Trump for all his bluster, crazy utterances, etc. actually found the weak spot in the American political system?
Where are the heavyweight's, the would be statesmen (or women) in America, to the outside world I suspect this lack of presence of such people, presents more of a problem than Trump himself?
Or could it be that the rest of the world recognises that for all the bluster and the raggerty reporting in the US media, there are large swathes of Americans who agree with their President?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Very interesting look at the whole situation. The idea of the combined history and the shared language making us believe that England and the USA have mutual culture / morals / ideologies.

When you look at some of the key feature of US culture these days, religion, race, wealth, guns etc, they are WORLDS apart from us, however, because of the language, we trick ourselves into using our logic when looking at their decisions.
This is very true. Growing up I always thought Americans were just us with a different accent, but the more time you spend there and around Americans the more you realize they really are nothing like us. We share some cultural similarities related to humour (sometimes) and of course US culture has spread over here via movies/music (and vice versa to a lesser extent), but when it comes to national mentalities and ways of seeing the world we're frighteningly far apart.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Just taken a quick look at this...

Now obviously Trump isn't a "typical" example of an American but I know plenty of people who are living / have lived in America who saw something like this coming for the past decade.
Do people genuinely think that we have more in common with America than say, Germany though? I don't believe so. The likes of Italy, France, Spain feel foreign but Germany doesn't really. America doesn't feel familiar to me when I go. They're a completely different people. The whole country is right leaning, politically. Which is so odd.

Is the tired old saying not 'Two nations separated by a common language' not always whipped out?

Solid book though. Might pick it up.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Do people genuinely think that we have more in common with America than say, Germany though? I don't believe so. The likes of Italy, France, Spain feel foreign but Germany doesn't really. America doesn't feel familiar to me when I go. They're a completely different people. The whole country is right leaning, politically. Which is so odd.
Bear in mind most Brits don't visit Germany or the US though, so they tend to judge from TV shows and movies and suchlike.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Bear in mind most Brits don't visit Germany or the US though, so they tend to judge from TV shows and movies and suchlike.
Absolutely. I get the angle. I'll pick up the book.

I'm just taken aback that anything like a majority or Brits would liken us to Americans before Germans.

Also bearing in mind that America has an ability to be as varied in attitude (if not culture) as Europe as a whole.

Jericholyte2

Absolutely. I get the angle. I'll pick up the book.

I'm just taken aback that anything like a majority or Brits would liken us to Americans before Germans.

Also bearing in mind that America has an ability to be as varied in attitude (if not culture) as Europe as a whole.
It's the easy link, it's always easier to see similarities to people or countries who speak the same language.

If you look deeper we are far closer to the likes of France and Germany, but on the most shallow of levels, such as language, they're the closest, therefore most people would assume other deeper similarities.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's the easy link, it's always easier to see similarities to people or countries who speak the same language.

If you look deeper we are far closer to the likes of France and Germany, but on the most shallow of levels, such as language, they're the closest, therefore most people would assume other deeper similarities.
Agreed. I was on a stag do in Munich earlier this year and being a Modern History buff I knew (historically/politically) how close we are to Germany (excluding WW1 and WW2) but it still struck me how familiar the country seemed. The people there are brilliant too and, other than the language, I didn't feel like I was in another country all that much. I can imagine France and many other European countries being similar, and as others have pointed out other than the language, we are quite different from America in many aspects.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Is the tired old saying not 'Two nations separated by a common language' not always whipped out?

Solid book though. Might pick it up.
Germany is a better run, more polite and generally more civilised version of us. Something I've thought every time I've been over there.

Wish I was German and lived there tbh.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
An Inmate Died Of Thirst In A Jail Run By A Loudly Pro-Trump Sheriff
Terrill Thomas’ death in Milwaukee County Jail has been ruled a homicide.
Letting people die of thirst is a gross level of savagery.
Germany is a better run, more polite and generally more civilised version of us. Something I've thought every time I've been over there.

Wish I was German and lived there tbh.
Yeah yeah, now just wait for us to elect the proto-fascists into the Bundestag in three weeks, then we'll talk again about more polite and civilised.

Status
Not open for further replies.