The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Republicans can't even say publicly that they're fuming at Trump for stabbing them in the back.
Never seen a party with such spineless politicians.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Republicans can't even say publicly that they're fuming at Trump for stabbing them in the back.
Never seen a party with such spineless politicians.
Because he suits their agenda. They need to keep him in power, albeit they do hate him.

Neutral

BTV
The First White President - be warned, it's a long read and Trump lovers and apologists (the downtrodden and neglected voted for him out of despair :rolleyes: ) for how and why he won are going to be seriously triggered.

Replacing Obama is not enough—Trump has made the negation of Obama’s legacy the foundation of his own. And this too is whiteness. “Race is an idea, not a fact,” the historian Nell Irvin Painter has written, and essential to the construct of a “white race” is the idea of not being a nigger. Before Barack Obama, niggers could be manufactured out of Sister Souljahs, Willie Hortons, and Dusky Sallys. But Donald Trump arrived in the wake of something more potent—an entire nigger presidency with nigger health care, nigger climate accords, and nigger justice reform, all of which could be targeted for destruction or redemption, thus reifying the idea of being white. Trump truly is something new—the first president whose entire political existence hinges on the fact of a black president. And so it will not suffice to say that Trump is a white man like all the others who rose to become president. He must be called by his rightful honorific—America’s first white president.

Last edited:

MTF

The First White President - be warned, it's a long read and Trump lovers and apologists (the downtrodden and neglected voted for him out of despair :rolleyes: ) for how and why he won are going to be seriously triggered.

Replacing Obama is not enough—Trump has made the negation of Obama’s legacy the foundation of his own. And this too is whiteness. “Race is an idea, not a fact,” the historian Nell Irvin Painter has written, and essential to the construct of a “white race” is the idea of not being a nigger. Before Barack Obama, niggers could be manufactured out of Sister Souljahs, Willie Hortons, and Dusky Sallys. But Donald Trump arrived in the wake of something more potent—an entire nigger presidency with nigger health care, nigger climate accords, and nigger justice reform, all of which could be targeted for destruction or redemption, thus reifying the idea of being white. Trump truly is something new—the first president whose entire political existence hinges on the fact of a black president. And so it will not suffice to say that Trump is a white man like all the others who rose to become president. He must be called by his rightful honorific—America’s first white president.
Had to skim that, because indeed Ta-Nehisi Coates doesn't do "short". Don't usually agree with him, but gotta concede that the voting stats by demographic look damn ugly with Trump winning whites across any sub-division by education or race.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Don't think he is really racist. He is just playing a part because he knows he can get many votes among certain people.
He definitely is a racist. Read into Trump and The Central Park 5. Also there was something about him asking black workers not to be in sight or serving when he and his guests were in hotels.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He definitely is a racist. Read into Trump and The Central Park 5. Also there was something about him asking black workers not to be in sight or serving when he and his guests were in hotels.
He is racist because he knows racism gets him votes. A bit different from being a real racist.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst

Just wanted to say its in podcast form as well.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
He is racist because he knows racism gets him votes. A bit different from being a real racist.
His racial harrassment of the The Central Park 5 and racism towards staff was decades prior to him being a politician. He also discriminated against ethnic minorities renting his properties iirc. But yea 'not a real racist'.

Silva

His dad was a ranking member of the KKK. I them we know what doctrine Donald followed when he was growing up. He was raised a racist.
No his dad was laying the groundwork for Donald to win votes. Oh what's that? Refusing people of colour accommodation in his buildings until forced to do so by the local government? Nah, definitely not racist, just fishing for votes decades before he was a candidate.

Next we'll find out that he's not really a misogynist. His lifetime of overtly sexist behaviour was just fishing for votes.

What a load of bollocks.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Coates gave no fecks in this piece, he just let the chopper fire at everyone. Amazing how he broke down the votes by income level, very. very damning.

cc @vi1lain

Neutral

BTV
Coates gave no fecks in this piece, he just let the chopper fire at everyone. Amazing how he broke down the votes by income level, very. very damning.
He's an absolute legend.

I'll be grabbing We Were Eight Years In Power - An American Tragedy when it comes out next month.

I love that he writes against the rewriting, dare I say it 'whitewashing', of why Trump won. It's almost like admitting the ugly truth is too hard for the majority in this country - republican and democrat.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@Neutral @adexkola
Looking at the data -
https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/groups-voted-2016/
https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

He got 1% less of the white vote as compared to Romney. He also got 2% more of the black vote, and amazingly, for the group that he targeted almost by name, he also got 1% more Hispanics. Further, both black and white turnout was slightly lower as a percentage of total turnout compared to last time, while Hispanics were higher, though this might just be an artifact of population growth.
There is no doubt that race is an important factor, maybe the defining factor. Immigration wasn't an "important issue" in 2012, here 13% rated it as most important and of those 64% went for him, while the 52% of voters concerned primarily about the economy went for Hillary 52-41. But that alone cannot explain his victory, given the demographics above.

I have read the whole article, and will need to re-read it, but I don't see how it can explain Obama's election, more importantly, his re-election, if race is the primary motivating factor in US political history.

adexkola

Supports
@Neutral @adexkola
Looking at the data -
https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/groups-voted-2016/
https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

He got 1% less of the white vote as compared to Romney. He also got 2% more of the black vote, and amazingly, for the group that he targeted almost by name, he also got 1% more Hispanics. Further, both black and white turnout was slightly lower as a percentage of total turnout compared to last time, while Hispanics were higher, though this might just be an artifact of population growth.
There is no doubt that race is an important factor, maybe the defining factor. Immigration wasn't an "important issue" in 2012, here 13% rated it as most important and of those 64% went for him, while the 52% of voters concerned primarily about the economy went for Hillary 52-41. But that alone cannot explain his victory, given the demographics above.

I have read the whole article, and will need to re-read it, but I don't see how it can explain Obama's election, more importantly, his re-election, if race is the primary motivating factor in US political history.
Hard to seperate immigration from race, given that most anti-immigration rhetoric leans towards racist/xenophobic vibes (Trump's rapist comments).

It is too simplistic to assign cause of most things to one single factor. For the sake of argument, even if Coates is overstating the role that racial dynamics played in Trump's election and presidency to date, you can't deny the level to which many have gone to massively underplay this factor, instead turning to other factors such as the supposed unique derelict of the white working class (probably not said explicitly, but enough Appalachia/Rust Belt references abound). It is that narrative that Coates attacks, and the stats you posted IMO don't contradict that part of his thesis. I'd like to read his forthcoming book for more context, but from a first reading of his essay, his stance seems solid.

adexkola

Supports
@berbatrick @Neutral I loved this part.

The triumph of Trump’s campaign of bigotry presented the problematic spectacle of an American president succeeding at best in spite of his racism and possibly because of it. Trump moved racism from the euphemistic and plausibly deniable to the overt and freely claimed. This presented the country’s thinking class with a dilemma. Hillary Clinton simply could not be correct when she asserted that a large group of Americans was endorsing a candidate because of bigotry. The implications—that systemic bigotry is still central to our politics; that the country is susceptible to such bigotry; that the salt-of-the-earth Americans whom we lionize in our culture and politics are not so different from those same Americans who grin back at us in lynching photos; that Calhoun’s aim of a pan-Caucasian embrace between workers and capitalists still endures—were just too dark. Leftists would have to cope with the failure, yet again, of class unity in the face of racism. Incorporating all of this into an analysis of America and the path forward proved too much to ask. Instead, the response has largely been an argument aimed at emotion—the summoning of the white working class, emblem of America’s hardscrabble roots, inheritor of its pioneer spirit, as a shield against the horrific and empirical evidence of trenchant bigotry.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Hard to seperate immigration from race, given that most anti-immigration rhetoric leans towards racist/xenophobic vibes (Trump's rapist comments).

It is too simplistic to assign cause of most things to one single factor. For the sake of argument, even if Coates is overstating the role that racial dynamics played in Trump's election and presidency to date, you can't deny the level to which many have gone to massively underplay this factor, instead turning to other factors such as the supposed unique derelict of the white working class (probably not said explicitly, but enough Appalachia/Rust Belt references abound). It is that narrative that Coates attacks, and the stats you posted IMO don't contradict that part of his thesis. I'd like to read his forthcoming book for more context, but from a first reading of his essay, his stance seems solid.
Yes, that was my point with the immigration numbers too. There was also this, not from the article, which raises questions about voter motivations and justifications:
And I agree about reducing this election. First of all, of the ~60% of those eligible* who voted, there was no majority, a slight plurality supported Hillary, but Trump did add to Romney's numbers. So to even explain his victory you have to define in the data what exactly his victory is, and thus go to the EC or counties flipped from Obama or something, which national-level demographic data will miss.

It is generally true that on both racial and economic issues, the general population is more egalitarian than the voting population. Indeed, similar to the tweet, there's this stat from the general white population:
Fifty percent of whites say blacks are treated less fairly by police than whites, and 50 percent of whites think the country still has work to do for blacks to achieve equal rights with whites.
Which very clearly doesn't show up in actual voting. So either non-voters are more progressive, or people change their justifications after casting their ballot based on some tribal loyalty.

*due to GOP feckery, apathy, and from a pool that is anyway reduced by laws barring felons who have served time.

Revan

Assumptionman
What's the cool off period for past Presidents?

Or can Obama never go again because he got two terms/has already been Prez?
Since 1949 it is two terms max. Before it was unlimited terms, though only FDR managed to get more than 2 terms (for quite obvious reasons).

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Wow.
If the us deports 800000 you can bet there will be plenty of stories like this. Sad thing is I feel many of those 800000 are more deserving of citizenship than me. I just came here and met a girl. They've grown up here.
all about narrative, Trump deporting people is box office, Canada doing it doesnt fit with the narrative.

like a few months ago Australia and new Zealand put a clamp down on immigration and prioritising its own national employment, and no one blinked an eye, a report comes out that the UK is thinking about doing it people go nuts.....

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Since 1949 it is two terms max. Before it was unlimited terms, though only FDR managed to get more than 2 terms (for quite obvious reasons).
I would absolutely love to see the rules change and Obama vs Trump 2020.

It would be Box Office. Obama would absolutely destroy him in debates and Trump would either implode or explode at the media fawning over Obama's victories over him. It would be incredible.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Can't wait to read this in the morning :drool:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
What did you mean by your comment then?
I was just remarking, sarcastically of course, about how that twitter user (I already forgot her name) looked biased and agenda-driven as opposed to an objective journalist. I wasn't trying to call it out as a lie nor explicitly disagree. She gave me an Ann Coulter sort of vibe when I took a look through her tweets.

I'm not a Canadian immigration expert by any means so I don't have strong opinions on the article she posted. But what I do know of their policy, being skills-based, is something that I agree with.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
all about narrative, Trump deporting people is box office, Canada doing it doesnt fit with the narrative.

like a few months ago Australia and new Zealand put a clamp down on immigration and prioritising its own national employment, and no one blinked an eye, a report comes out that the UK is thinking about doing it people go nuts.....
@Natener made a good point earlier. Canada and others you just mentioned don't pride themselves on being a land of immigrants and opportunity. I'm still shocked at Canada's behavior though.

Fergies Gum

Informative article by Scott Shane. He delves deeper into some of the fake accounts which were used last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.