The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Yeah, it's been discussed in the US Elections thread, but there's a pretty solid effort underway to get around the electoral college by having a majority of electors pledge to go with the popular vote winner. System is idiotic at present.

Dr. StrangeHate

You really think so? I've been off Facebook since 2010, but heavily use WhatsApp, Instagram etc. Would love to see a breakdown of their revenues by business line.
I know currently most of Facebook revenue is from the western countries but in developing countries Facebook is used for almost every business purpose imaginable.
1) People sell stuff on it. Whole shops just exist on Facebook. It is like Etsy.
2) Facebook live events for exclusive groups are very popular especially among the upper class.
3) Creating job applications and advertising it. Some companies exclusively hire on Facebook.
4) Advertising your company is common everywhere especially for small businesses.
5) Political ads. Yes this is common everywhere.

Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram don't count towards internet usage on most mobile data plans. It is that popular. All of the above is only going to grow bigger in the developing world. Heck Facebook even owns La Liga rights in India.

Below are the most downloaded apps of all time:
1) Facebook
2) Facebook Messenger
3) Whatsapp
4) Instagram

Facebook are not going anywhere but up.

onemanarmy

There's an app called Songkick where you can track bands and their tours. Also if you have them on something like instagram you'll usually see when they have new music out.
Thanks, I'll check Songkick. The advantage FB has to Instagram is the event calendar, which is pretty handy.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram don't count towards internet usage on most mobile data plans. It is that popular. All of the above is only going to grow bigger in the developing world. Heck Facebook even owns La Liga rights in India.
I've seen this and haven't thought about it until now tbh, what are the implications of this? Facebook has a the potential to be very influential in developing countries it seems... Not good. Also who pays?

Beachryan

I've seen this and haven't thought about it until now tbh, what are the implications of this? Facebook has a the potential to be very influential in developing countries it seems... Not good. Also who pays?
In many countries it's the only way people can get news on their phone due to how expensive data is. Which is obviously terrifying.

Suedesi

I know currently most of Facebook revenue is from the western countries but in developing countries Facebook is used for almost every business purpose imaginable.
1) People sell stuff on it. Whole shops just exist on Facebook. It is like Etsy.
2) Facebook live events for exclusive groups are very popular especially among the upper class.
3) Creating job applications and advertising it. Some companies exclusively hire on Facebook.
4) Advertising your company is common everywhere especially for small businesses.
5) Political ads. Yes this is common everywhere.

Below are the most downloaded apps of all time:
1) Facebook
2) Facebook Messenger
3) Whatsapp
4) Instagram

Facebook are not going anywhere but up.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Suedesi

No one has said otherwise. It's not the gotcha argument you think it is when literally the point people are making is that it's a shitty system which should be changed.

Slavery is a shitty system, but them the rules.
Male-only suffrage is a shitty system, but them the rules.
Feudalism is a shitty system, but them the rules.
It is a gotcha argument because people keep saying "Hillary won by 2-3 million votes", when in fact she did lose by 74 electoral votes. Against an oversized clown. Them the facts.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You really think so? I've been off Facebook since 2010, but heavily use WhatsApp, Instagram etc. Would love to see a breakdown of their revenues by business line.
They don't disclose any of that. But speaking to industry contacts everyone thought that core Facebook is still the daddy because it had highest rate of ads. Instagram 2nd but still less than half of what Facebook does, although growing faster as they insert more ads (had to learn right format/frequency to do ads on stories) and WhatsApp still basically not monetized. I used to know the recent conversation on this ~1 year ago, haven't really looked into it that much recently.
Same, I literally haven't put anything on my account since the day I opened it. Targeting algorithms keep my feed full of interesting stuff and cool resources. But anyone who is emersed in it or spreads their lunacy through it is a fecking loser in my opinion.
Whilst facebook is struggling to acquire new users, its key strength is that its core users are the founding generation of social media , now aged 40+ with the biggest incomes and are the main purchase decision maker in their household. So it attracts big ad buggets. People aged below 30 in western market tend to use Instagram (or TikTok) and have far less spendable income. WhatsApp is used to improve targeting.

WARC estimate that its already hitting 1% of Facebook's ad income, the main issue being that so much of facebook ad revenue comes from SME's. However, now marketing leaders like Unilever, Coca Cola, Starbucks have gotten on board, the situation will get more intense as the election approaches. Expect lots of consumer led #campaigns encouraging other brands to boycott.

The biggest issue for facebook is perception. Already many anti Trump or anti racist people associate Zuckerberg with Alt Right; if that continues for much longer, facebook's brand equity will become more toxic than it was during Cambridge Analytica scandal, which it had only just recovered from, so it will soon just become an echo chamber HateLand full of Trump and Brexit supporters.

Last edited:

entropy

It is a gotcha argument because people keep saying "Hillary won by 2-3 million votes", when in fact she did lose by 74 electoral votes. Against an oversized clown. Them the facts.
Remember the leaked emails from her campaign? She wanted the media to play up trump as a doofus as part of some pier piper campaign strategy. 2016 feels like decades ago at this point.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yeah, it's been discussed in the US Elections thread, but there's a pretty solid effort underway to get around the electoral college by having a majority of electors pledge to go with the popular vote winner. System is idiotic at present.
Would that stand up in court?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Whilst facebook is struggling to acquire new users, its key strength is that core users are the original social media users, now aged 40+ with the biggest incomes and are the main purchase decision maker in their household. People aged below 30 in western markets barely use the platform, so it will soon just become a echo chamber HateLand full of Trump and Brexit supporters. Instagram users (moreso TikTok) are poorer and with far less spendable income, WhatsApp is used to improve targeting.

WARC estimate that its hitting 1% of Facebook's ad income, the main issue being that so much of facebook ad revenue comes from SME's. However, now marketing leaders like Unilever, Coca Cola, Starbucks have gotten on board, the situation will get more intense as the election approaches. Expect lots of consumer led #campaigns encouraging other brands to boycott.

The biggest issue for facebook is perception. Already many anti Trump or anti racist people associate Zuckerberg with Alt Right; if that continues for much longer, facebook's brand equity will become more toxic than during Cambridge Analytica scandal, which it had only just recovered from.
Excellent summary @sammsky1

Beachryan

Would that stand up in court?
My understanding is that it's nothing to do with a 'court'. Electors are free to choose why they want, nothing in the constitution says they need to listen to those they represent. Strange fact, the American voters don't vote for the President.

Hamilton put his faith in electors doing the right thing, as they were supposed to be better informed and responsible than the masses.

As it stands, I believe 7 electors last time didn't cast votes for those they were supposed to.

Beachryan

Worth noting to thoes who smugly point out those numbers the razor thin margins by which the 74 went how they did. I believe a mere 270k votes in three key states could have swung it to Clinton. That's like 0.1% of voters, equalling the 74. So while you're technically correct, actual analysis shows that it was an utterly incredible series of events that let Trump win.

It's a bit like coming on here and saying that United crushed Bayern in the CL final.

I maintain that without James Comey's ego, Hillary would have won tight races in WI and PA, and we wouldn't be living in this nightmare. That man should rot in hell.

Suedesi

Worth noting to thoes who smugly point out those numbers the razor thin margins by which the 74 went how they did. I believe a mere 270k votes in three key states could have swung it to Clinton. That's like 0.1% of voters, equalling the 74. So while you're technically correct, actual analysis shows that it was an utterly incredible series of events that let Trump win.

It's a bit like coming on here and saying that United crushed Bayern in the CL final.

I maintain that without James Comey's ego, Hillary would have won tight races in WI and PA, and we wouldn't be living in this nightmare. That man should rot in hell.
Being technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Anyways, on the margins... Clinton won Colorado by ~70k votes, Maine by ~20k, Minnesota by ~40k, New Hampshire by ~3000 votes, so 130k swing would have made the result even worse.

I don't know if Comey swung the election more than the bus tape did. At the end of the day she was a fundamentally weak candidate, that should have never have been there in the first place. Bernie would have won it all if it wasn't for the DNC machinations.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Every time the whole Deutsche Bank thing comes up makes me wonder - why does Germany's government continually stay silent on all the shit they ve been involved with? Or is that as stupid a question as asking why England keeps protecting HSBC?
Macroeconomic and "national security" concerns. Deutsche Bank is despite its troubles over the last decade the only German Bank with international financial clout.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Fear is all he as.
Biggest thing I got after clicking that link is how active guys like Cruz, Grassley, McCarthy and Rubio suddenly are in hanging on the president's arse. Especially Cruz and Rubio continue to have absolutely zero self respect or awareness it seems, even when there is that faint bit of hope they have a independently functioning brain they seem to suddenly get reigned in by the party to fall back in line.

Edit: fkin hell even Geraldo is back on the train.

Must step away again. Did so well ignoring this thread for a while.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Instead of watching tv, playing golf and tweeting nonsense, he could've been reading intelligence briefings.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Instead of watching tv, playing golf and tweeting nonsense, he could've been reading intelligence briefings.
Sad but true for this work shy president. It’d also mean he’d have to start his day earlier rather than scratching his arse during “executive time”.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
He’s in hiding isn’t he?
Yet another ‘inspection’ of the bunker?

You know who else is hiding? republican lawmakers. They should be doing their civic duty and replacing this doofus before he wrecks anything else.
He has the opposite of a Midas touch.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Someone should tell him that to be a warrior, you're supposed to have actually taken part in a war.

Status
Not open for further replies.