The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Jokes on you, french are so self-obsesseed that we don't know nor care about the words you use. And anyway, we are way better at butchering the english language. :D
No, the laughs are on you. I edited my post to include a special little message for you.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, at least it's given us a clear indication of just how many of these nutters there are in the world. It's a much larger percentage than I first thought.
It is - sadly.

The last few years have been an eye opener.

That said, I really don't think that 70+ mill Americans are full blown MAGA nutters.

But it's worrying enough that the others (millions upon millions) actually voted for Trump - for...whatever ideological reasons (anti-abortion, taxes or whatever the hell it is), making a deal with the Orange Clown by doing so.

A couple of years ago, we used to make the "this is exactly how Nazi Germany started" joke as...a joke!

ETA And this happened after four years of an absolute clown in charge. They voted for him after seeing him in action for a full period.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Millions of people still don't take it seriously.

I was talking just now - online - to a member of a niche forum I sometimes post on: a woman in her 70s who thinks a) that Covid is fake news and b) that Covid was created by China in order to hurt Donnie - one or the other, or both, and it seemingly doesn't matter that there's a bit of a contradiction there...

Part of Trump's legacy will be that he actively encouraged the unfathomable idiocy of such people.
Also, so what if it was created by China or space lizards or whoever? That's not an excuse to not do anything, people are still dying.
"All these bombs raining down on us were made in China so let's not take shelter."

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, the laughs are on you. I edited my post to include a special little message for you.
The edit doesn't change much. French can't be upset about the way others pronounce things, we are terrible ourselves and we don't hear english speak that often. Now on a serious note, I do find it interesting that Marquess is pronounced Marqwiss, I would have guessed that it was pronounced like the other words finishing with -ess.

JPRouve

Scout
On topic, can Trump be prosecuted for the lies that he is currently sharing or is he protected in any way?

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The edit doesn't change much. French can't be upset about the way others pronounce things, we are terrible ourselves and we don't hear english speak that often. Now on a serious note, I do find it interesting that Marquess is pronounced Marqwiss, I would have guessed that it was pronounced like the other words finishing with -ess.
You certainly suck at admitting when you are wrong. :)

You butt in when I'm just reassuring @Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær how the English say the word, however it may be spelled between two countries and off you go on one of your own petty little attacks.

Never mind. Slings and arrows. Agincourt etc..

JPRouve

Scout
You certainly suck at admitting when you are wrong. :)

You butt in when I'm just reassuring @Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær how the English say the word, however it may be spelled between two countries and off you go on one of your own petty little attacks.

Never mind. Slings and arrows. Agincourt etc..
I was teasing you, there was nothing serious in it. I have no idea about how you pronounce things unless you tell me.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Also, so what if it was created by China or space lizards or whoever? That's not an excuse to not do anything, people are still dying.
"All these bombs raining down on us were made in China so let's not take shelter."
The strange thing (or perhaps not - they just don't engage their brains) is that they're happy to go along with the idea that China released a horrible virus (presumably something we should, you know, worry about) in order to feck with America AND the idea that this virus is nothing worse than the common cold...at the same time.

If the narrative was that China released an ultimately harmless virus in order to feck with America (effective because the libs promote fake news, i.e. blow the danger out of proportion), then...yes, kinda, sure, that would make some sense as a conspiracy theory.

But that isn't what most of them are claiming. Rather, it's cognitive dissonance turned up to eleven: it's fake news when that serves the agenda - and/but an actually deadly virus when that serves the agenda (but we still don't wear masks, 'cause that's what commies do).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nearly 3,000 deaths in the US yesterday.
Redcafe, 3,000!!!
How has this man not been running out of town?
I saw they had 371 cases in 24h in DC at some point this week. The City of Ottawa (my municipality) has about 33% more inhabitants and is running around 40-50 right now, with a peak close to 80 this week - causing public health officials to remind people to not let down their guards (we were lower the past week). Yet Trump's organizing big Christmass gathering in the White House and his entourage is going around without face masks. Câlice... Such a constant slap in the face of common Americans.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I was teasing you, there was nothing serious in it. I have no idea about how you pronounce things unless you tell me.
...and special little teddy bear and Agincourt should tell you I am teasing you back. :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Some of us weren't joking.
I know. And you were right.

Most of us didn't take it seriously enough. Some still aren't.

The fate of the world depends on people waking up.

But I sometimes fear that this whole meme driven culture of ours - where people sarcastically distance themselves from...evil? Is that what it is? Why not, really - it's not good at any rate...this culture, then, where people distance themselves from evil by posting gifs on Twitter is an aberration of sorts.

JPRouve

Scout
Can we please get back on topic ffs? ;)
I did and wonder what could happen to Trump for a legal standpoint. From a perception standpoint, I feel that Trump is undermining the presidential institution and wonder if the US legal system anticipated that eventuality and has answers to it.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I did and wonder what could happen to Trump for a legal standpoint. From a perception standpoint, I feel that Trump is undermining the presidential institution and wonder if the US legal system anticipated that eventuality and has answers to it.
SDNY have been keeping their powder dry ever since the Muller Report plus anything that has followed since. The kids must be in line with all these consultancy fees going into their accounts as employees.

JPRouve

Scout

But I sometimes fear that this whole meme driven culture of ours - where people sarcastically distance themselves from...evil? Is that what it is? Why not, really - it's not good at any rate...this culture, then, where people distance themselves from evil by posting gifs on Twitter is an aberration of sorts.
Is it the meme driven culture though? Don't you think that this attitude currently exists in all parts of society and in particular outside of internet? I feel that we are building a culture of wearing blinders whenever we see something we don't like instead of facing it and dealing with it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Don't you think that this attitude currently exists in all parts of society and in particular outside of internet?
Yes, that's true - too.

Take my parents: they're boomers, they're well educated, they're left leaning (my mom, in particular, was a feckin' hippie back in the day) - and they don' t take the idea of good ol' fascism rising again seriously. They actually believe it can't get that bad - it can't happen again. They've been breast fed the idea that history will repeat itself unless...and still, in practice they don't actually, truly believe it's a real possibility.

And - they don't use Twitter.

But - a significant number of people who do protest against the rise of fascism, do so in the form of posting gifs on Twitter. It's not a bad thing in itself - but if you don't do anything beyond posting gifs and laughing at deluded Trumpers...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Jokes on you, french are so self-obsesseed that we don't know nor care about the words you use. And anyway, we are way better at butchering the english language. :D
This might be an urban legend, but is it (or was it) true that it was illegal for French newspapers to publish English words? Which is part of the reason you silly geese call a computer L'ordinateure or something?

nimic

something nice
Scout

Meme culture isn't exactly a gateway to the alt-right, but it is a little bit.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes, that's true - too.

Take my parents: they're boomers, they're well educated, they're left leaning (my mom, in particular, was a feckin' hippie back in the day) - and they don' t take the idea of good ol' fascism rising again seriously. They actually believe it can't get that bad - it can't happen again. They've been breast fed the idea that history will repeat itself unless...and still, in practice they don't actually, truly believe it's a real possibility.

And - they don't use Twitter.

But - a significant number of people who do protest against the rise of fascism, do so in the form of posting gifs on Twitter. It's not a bad thing in itself - but if you don't do anything beyond posting gifs and laughing at deluded Trumpers...
With your last sentence I see what you mean and your point is even more important when the internet is now the main communication medium. But that raises a question, how can someone be a proper activist on the internet? And it's not a rhetorical question, for example how should people counter the likes of Trump when online?

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Meme culture isn't exactly a gateway to the alt-right, but it is a little bit.
Who’d have thunk WW3 would have been ushered in off the back of Minions graphics overlaid with Mein Kampf quotes.

JPRouve

Scout
This might be an urban legend, but is it (or was it) true that it was illegal for French newspapers to publish English words? Which is part of the reason you silly geese call a computer L'ordinateure or something?
As far as I can remember it's a legend. And the word ordinateur comes from the marketing department of IBM France and it was invented for marketing reasons because the french traduction for computer was already used.

JPRouve

Scout
But we have ordenador in Spanish, too?
I don't know where the spanish word comes from but the french one comes from Jacques Perret who proposed it to IBM France who wanted to translate the word computer in 1955.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, "ordinare" and "(com)putare" (from the Latin) pretty much amounts to the same thing: to put in order, to count (one after the other), to - well - make sense of numbers. Which is what a computer does (it computes, counts numbers to make sense, or - some would say, creates meaning from numbers).

"Compter" (French) = to count. Same root.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If you do come then visit my pub and a pint is on me. It would be my pleasure. We are blessed as we do live in a beautiful part of the world here. The Devon, Cornish and Dorset coasts are stunning.
Legend. Thanks mate. When all is safe and well I’ll see how we can manage to get there

GiddyUp

Is it the meme driven culture though? Don't you think that this attitude currently exists in all parts of society and in particular outside of internet? I feel that we are building a culture of wearing blinders whenever we see something we don't like instead of facing it and dealing with it.
We are seeing a dangerous erosion of civil discourse. It's one thing to blow it out your ass on the internet but to take in on to the street and slander everyone who doesn't bow to your delusion is madness. These people will take the National Enquirer more seriously than any reputable news source if it confirms their bias.
Look at that crazy lady sitting next to crazy Rudy in that Michigan hearing. People like her go fecking mental because a barista used almond milk instead of oat. In a court of law she would be held in contempt but the grifters know that and use people like her to inflame the other gobshites. They are so easily manipulated by social media its embarrassing.
I have serious reservations about authority figures, always have. But I still understand that I must conduct myself appropriately and be aware that I'm not always right and the system is not always nefarious.
Look at the way Brett Kavanaugh spoke to members of congress during his contentious confirmation hearing, over valid questions about his conduct. They are like spoiled fecking children having a tantrum when confronted with their shortcomings.
These people believe conspiracy on top of conspiracy but refuse to live in the woods. Instead they blame everyone and everything over someone as clownish as Donald fecking Trump who they think is one of the richest men in the world sent by god to fight child molesters.
Conservatism globally is very close to driving off a cliff and it should be unacceptable to anyone with any common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.