The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
It is - sadly.

The last few years have been an eye opener.

That said, I really don't think that 70+ mill Americans are full blown MAGA nutters.

But it's worrying enough that the others (millions upon millions) actually voted for Trump - for...whatever ideological reasons (anti-abortion, taxes or whatever the hell it is), making a deal with the Orange Clown by doing so.

A couple of years ago, we used to make the "this is exactly how Nazi Germany started" joke as...a joke!

ETA And this happened after four years of an absolute clown in charge. They voted for him after seeing him in action for a full period.
In a normal country he would have lost by a landslide. But I guess the fact that he was voted in, in the first place, exposes the fact that the US hardly can be considered normal anymore. To me it seems like the US, with 70 millions voting for Trump and all he represents, is proper fecked. I'm hoping Biden may be able to turn it around, but I'm not counting on it because so many millions have been radicalized and brain washed by the right wing.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
In a normal country he would have lost by a landslide. But I guess the fact that he was voted in, in the first place, exposes the fact that the US hardly can be considered normal anymore. To me it seems like the US, with 70 millions voting for Trump and all he represents, is proper fecked. I'm hoping Biden may be able to turn it around, but I'm not counting on it because so many millions have been radicalized and brain washed by the right wing.
I think we've just seen the high-water mark for Trumpism - it will gradually decline from here. The next 4 years will see the GOP consumed by vicious in-fighting. And Trump himself will decline further, both mentally and physically, but now without the Presidential bully-pulpit to amplify his rantings.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just saw the covid graphs. 99% sure it's thanksgiving.
Only starting to fully register Thanksgiving cases now.

Only 10% less people travelled through airports than last year. The hubris & selfishness of a large swath of this country is unconscionable.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Met a neighbour of mine today. He’s a welsh guy that’s been here for quite a while. Anyway he’s talking about leaving to go back to Europe as he thinks this place is fecked.
I’m in agreement with him though I have to stay for another 4 years. Bloody kids!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Met a neighbour of mine today. He’s a welsh guy that’s been here for quite a while. Anyway he’s talking about leaving to go back to Europe as he thinks this place is fecked.
I’m in agreement with him though I have to stay for another 4 years. Bloody kids!
Do you have day to day examples of things that makes you think that way? From the outside it's easy to be judgemental but I feel that it's a strong statement from someone that lives it everyday.

MarylandMUFan

Do you have day to day examples of things that makes you think that way? From the outside it's easy to be judgemental but I feel that it's a strong statement from someone that lives it everyday.
COVID aside (which is difficult to put aside), our day to day lives are really not much different now than they were 5 or 10 years ago. I think it's easy to think the sky is falling (especially with our new religious nutbag supreme court) but for the most part, people go on as normal.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It’s more of a general sense of how fecked it is.
Who the president is has no direct bearing or forces big changes on my day to day life at the moment but just to see the BS around our area with Trump fans and how they can actually support that guy is crazy to me. The posts from some of my neighbours about Trump. The trump flags that are still flying on the boats at the marina, one month after the election. These people are my neighbours.
Sure I could move to a less trumpy area like NorCal but it galls me to think that 71M voted for a nutter like that. It shows that they’re not just a few crazies.
That and how close we came to a dictatorship. I’m not sure the cnut or his family won’t come back in 2024 either.
He’s managed to build a huge cult somehow and I don’t want any part of a society that is that broken.
The US has been good to me financially but after I done earning I don’t see as much value to being here. I can stretch my retirement dollars further too back in southern Europe so there’s that.
I think the US is sold as one thing but in reality it sometimes seems like it’s everyone for themselves.

JPRouve

Scout
COVID aside (which is difficult to put aside), our day to day lives are really not much different now than they were 5 or 10 years ago. I think it's easy to think the sky is falling (especially with our new religious nutbag supreme court) but for the most part, people go on as normal.
That's what I would imagine, there is a big difference between being from the outside looking in and being in the eye of the cyclone. I imagine that most people went with the motion and couldn't really say that the country is "fecked". Now I also imagine that some people are more sensible to certain things that have changed and their point of view as insiders is interesting.
Now from the outside it's very easy to see a big difference between now and 5 or 10 years ago.

JPRouve

Scout
Who the president is has no direct bearing or forces big changes on my day to day life at the moment but just to see the BS around our area with Trump fans and how they can actually support that guy is crazy to me. The posts from some of my neighbours about Trump. The trump flags that are still flying on the boats at the marina, one month after the election. These people are my neighbours.
Sure I could move to a less trumpy area like NorCal but it galls me to think that 71M voted for a nutter like that. It shows that they’re not just a few crazies.
That and how close we came to a dictatorship. I’m not sure the cnut or his family won’t come back in 2024 either.
He’s managed to build a huge cult somehow and I don’t want any part of a society that is that broken.
The US has been good to me financially but after I done earning I don’t see as much value to being here. I can stretch my retirement dollars further too back in southern Europe so there’s that.
I think the US is sold as one thing but in reality it sometimes seems like it’s everyone for themselves.
Thanks for that. So it's the evolution of your local community that bothered you the most, that's an important aspect of life so I can see your point.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Tbf it’s always been republican here just that now with the Trump cultists it’s worse.
My neighbours directly across the street still have their election signs and Trump flag up. More than one month later. They just had their trucks washed so at least their MAGA ramblings on the trucks is no more. Baby steps.:houllier:
That’s just one kooky neighbour though so not enough to make me want to leave. Again, it’s the 71M.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Thanks for that. So it's the evolution of your local community that bothered you the most, that's an important aspect of life so I can see your point.
And if the latest trumpy rally in Georgia didn’t convince you: we’re living amongst a large amount of cultists. Too large to ignore. Time to get the fcuk out, in 4 years anyway.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think when you're not American by birth, it's perfectly understandable that you'd be thinking about escape routes. If you have the right to live and work in a country that's Trump-free, that must be a big draw.

I know if our neighbours started putting up Brothers of Italy banners, we'd feel a bit concerned, too. Knowing you have neighbours who fervently support corrupt and morally-bankrupt politicians is rather unsettling.

Drifter

American
Ossoff is radical now? They took his speech way out of context and made it look like he was talking about beating them physically.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Ossoff is radical now? They took his speech way out of context and made it look like he was talking about beating them physically.
If that's what they were going for, surely it fails though? They should have cut out the part that makes it clear he's taking about running for office and bearing someone badly in an election.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I think when you're not American by birth, it's perfectly understandable that you'd be thinking about escape routes. If you have the right to live and work in a country that's Trump-free, that must be a big draw.

I know if our neighbours started putting up Brothers of Italy banners, we'd feel a bit concerned, too. Knowing you have neighbours who fervently support corrupt and morally-bankrupt politicians is rather unsettling.
Yes, I was born and raised in Ireland and and have got Irish passports for my wife and kids too.
My upbringing of course influences my thoughts on society and that’s why IMO the Welsh neighbour and I both see things in a similar way. We also, coincidentally, have been here for the same amount of time, about 30 years, so have seen the changes over that time and it doesn’t seem better.
Taffy wants me to adopt him so he can move to Italy with an Irish passport. I told him I know two English retirees off the internet that would take him in ;)

My Iranian neighbour last night was telling me his young kids (8 and 11) were asking if they all could move to Canada. That’s kinda messed up.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I'm wondering if the ongoing radicalization of parts of US society could lead to a future terror threat along the lines of Al Qaida and ISIL. You've already got the explosive mix between nutty Christianity and politics, and they don't really have to worry about getting guns. Add all the batshit conspiracy theories, some floated or semi-endorsed by Trump himself, and people will easily find ways to justify attacks.

Those guys in Michigan planned not only to take out the Governor, but also publicly execute gov employees or politicians, and broadcast it. That's textbook ISIL.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'm wondering if the ongoing radicalization of parts of US society could lead to a future terror threat along the lines of Al Qaida and ISIL. You've already got the explosive mix between nutty Christianity and politics, and they don't really have to worry about getting guns. Add all the batshit conspiracy theories, some floated or semi-endorsed by Trump himself, and people will easily find ways to justify attacks.

Those guys in Michigan planned not only to take out the Governor, but also publicly execute gov employees or politicians, and broadcast it. That's textbook ISIL.
The FBI has already said that far-right extremists are the biggest single domestic terrorism threat in the USA.

But Trump calls these guys "very fine people".

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

That has already been going on for a few decades, or much longer in some form or fashion I suppose.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Could? Have you heard of Ruby Ridge, Waco, or Okalahoma City? Credit to the FBI probably for making sure it hasn't got worse than it was looking for a while.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Yes, I was born and raised in Ireland and and have got Irish passports for my wife and kids too.
My upbringing of course influences my thoughts on society and that’s why IMO the Welsh neighbour and I both see things in a similar way. We also, coincidentally, have been here for the same amount of time, about 30 years, so have seen the changes over that time and it doesn’t seem better.
Taffy wants me to adopt him so he can move to Italy with an Irish passport. I told him I know two English retirees off the internet that would take him in ;)

My Iranian neighbour last night was telling me his young kids (8 and 11) were asking if they all could move to Canada. That’s kinda messed up.
Haha, he'd have to do the complicated visa process now to get to stay out here. If any Brits wanted to live in a European country and maintain their European rights there, they've just about missed the boat. We can stay here in Italy for as long as we choose, but that wouldn't apply if we suddenly decided that France or Germany was the place we wanted to be.

You're so lucky to all have Irish passports, I reckon that must be the best citizenship in the world now. You can still live in Europe, you can live in the UK - or you could even live in Ireland!

Drifter

American
So Trump is keeping him out of the public eye after the endless embarrassments.

Status
Not open for further replies.