The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
So he told him he wasn't under investigation. Shit..
It's definitely looking like Trump created the mess for himself personally by bumbling around aimlessly not understanding the legal or political structures in place. There are seemingly people associated to him that have committed crimes related to Russia, but it seems entirely plausible that Trump didn't do anything himself. He was an innocent bystander who accidentally obstructed justice. It's not the only possibility but a lot of evidence points to it. People at multiple levels are saying Trump isn't involved personally, but his approach to dealing with it has put him in legal jeapordy and his approach to handling it in the public eye has led to an unprecedented erosion in trust in the institution.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Its not standard practice. Comey did this intentionally to flood the media space with this narrative prior to tomorrow's hearing.
Tomorrow:

"Mr Comey, If I may just ask you a few questions about 702..."

"Mr Comey, regarding 702..."

"Mr Comey have you ever leaked classified information to the press?"

"Mr 702 have you do you know anyone who has requested an unmasking of a US Citizen so they could leak it to the press?"

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's a legislative thing not a judicial trial, but in a court if a conversation is reported by one of the participants with no corroboration, it is inadmissible AFAIK. And if there is a contested version of the conversation, the contest will be from the (not former) president, who probably trumps FBI director.
Its not a legislative thing. Several committees within the legislative branch are investigating Russian collusion and other activities related to Trump. The committees have broad legal and judicial discretion to subpoena witness and have said witnesses tell the truth, and at the end of this, vote to impeach the President. Ditto with the independent commission. Furthermore, once it is in the public that Trump attempted to obstruct justice, politicians will be under immense pressure to turn up the heat on Trump, which could result in impeachment.

To be clear, what Trump has done is easily an impeachable offense.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's definitely looking like Trump created the mess for himself personally by bumbling around aimlessly not understanding the legal or political structures in place. There are seemingly people associated to him that have committed crimes related to Russia, but it seems entirely plausible that Trump didn't do anything himself. He was an innocent bystander who accidentally obstructed justice. It's not the only possibility but a lot of evidence points to it. People at multiple levels are saying Trump isn't involved personally, but his approach to dealing with it has put him in legal jeapordy and his approach to handling it in the public eye has led to an unprecedented erosion in trust in the institution.
In my opinion, there is too many associations that have been connected through him for him to have just been the one in the middle oblivious while all this went on around him.

ManUtd1999

So, it seems that most of the reports in the media in recent weeks were true after all? That's another take of this released document.

kps88

Tomorrow:

"Mr Comey, If I may just ask you a few questions about 702..."

"Mr Comey, regarding 702..."

"Mr Comey have you ever leaked classified information to the press?"

"Mr 702 have you do you know anyone who has requested an unmasking of a US Citizen so they could leak it to the press?"
:lol:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Although I just read the full statement and Comey is VERY careful to emphasize that he was talking about just a counter-intelligence investigation, not any other type. I find that interesting.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Its not a legislative thing. Several committees within the legislative branch are investigating Russian collusion and other activities related to Trump. The committees have broad legal and judicial discretion to subpoena witness and have said witnesses tell the truth, and at the end of this, vote to impeach the President. Ditto with the independent commission. Furthermore, once it is in the public that Trump attempted to obstruct justice, politicians will be under immense pressure to turn up the heat on Trump, which could result in impeachment.

To be clear, what Trump has done is easily an impeachable offense.
Also bear in mind he's as dumb as a bag of rocks. He's perfectly likely to tweet something admitting it.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Trump lIves in a world of his hissy fits. I really don't see anything in this comey stuff where Trump acts outside his norm.

Trump ain't going to act normal - seems to me Trump never directly asks him to drop the case. Yeah he implied but never actually came out and asked it.

Only positive I can take out of this is Comey released it early - taking control of the news angle before tomorrow. Maybe there is a smoking gun somewhere

kps88

Trump ain't going to act normal - seems to me Trump never directly asks him to drop the case. Yeah he implied but never actually came out and asked it.
"I hope you can let this go". Can't get any clearer than that.

Fener1907

How does it work tomorrow? Will we potentially get something along the lines of that sniveling shitbag Ted Cruz trying to focus on the emails? Wouldn't surprise me.

ManUtd1999

I hope you can let this go - as against 'you need to drop this'.

I'm no trump fan but it's the way he speaks.
That's the problem, right there. "It's the way he speaks", "it's his style", etc. He gets away with things because of that. He keeps using it to his benefit...

bazalini

If this was happening in UK or Ireland politics - A motion of no confidence in the Government (potus) would be called by the opposition, which woukd be over rulled and followed by a motion of confidence in the Government by the ruling party.

Does this happen in the states????

kps88

I hope you can let this go - as against 'you need to drop this'.

I'm no trump fan but it's the way he speaks.
I don't understand difference? The intention and context matter. He's clearly asking Comey to let Flynn off the hook because "he is a good guy".

bazalini

That's the problem, right there. "It's the way he speaks", "it's his style", etc. He gets away with things because of that. He keeps using it to his benefit...

Or you can say he is himself, draining the swamp and is doing what he was elected to do. It's either a very good play psychologicaly or Trump is one lucky SOAB

bazalini

I don't understand difference? The intention and context matter. He's clearly asking Comey to let Flynn off the hook because "he is a good guy".

I hope you can let it go KPS88 or I could say wind ur neck I want u to drop it.

One implies you are in control of ur decision, the other is a direct call on my part

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Why would he give Trump and the GoP a whole day to prepare for his testimony? I really don't get this.

ManUtd1999

If that's the case, why release anything at all?
I was surprised too, but it could be 1) he got some information that we don't have, 2) he wants Republicans to prepare questions about this written testimony and then bring something new that they didn't think about, 3) just a bad calculation.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One take on what is Obstruction of Justice and what this all means

The bottom line on obstruction of justice is that it doesn't have to succeed. The mere attempt at obstruction is sufficient to prove guilt. Trump clearly attempted obstruction, especially when you consider his attempts at getting Coates and Rodgers to known the story down, in addition to what he tried with Comey himself.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
So basically he wants to make sure the questions he gets asked are as good and going as deep as possible. He is basically setting them up to make sure certain things are not left out, maybe even creating the pressure to ask about certain things, thus making sure the GoP is not trying to hide anything.
Makes sense. Thanks for the answers.

ManUtd1999

So basically he wants to make sure the questions he gets asked are as good and going as deep as possible. He is basically setting them up to make sure certain things are not left out, maybe even creating the pressure to ask about certain things, thus making sure the GoP is not trying to hide anything.
Makes sense. Thanks for the answers.
Yes, these tweets by Tapper help us understand his decision.

Also, it will force the GOP to focus on the issue in hand, not unmasking and leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.