The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You might find that Saudi Arabia is one of the leading suppliers of terrorist recruits in the world. Where is the Saudi ban?
Its been addressed in previous posts. Excepting Iran, the list of countries is limited to places where ISIS/AQ are active.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Even if all the bullshit regarding dual nationalities of people like Mo Farah or members of parliament was sorted out tomorrow, people like the Yazidis who've fled genocide would still be banned

But he doesn't use the term "muslim ban", so it's fine, right?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Its been addressed in previous posts. Excepting Iran, the list of countries is limited to places where ISIS/AQ are active.
So why no Afghanistan and Pakistan?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Trump's like a bigly version of the man who eventually manages to get membership of the posh golf club. He isn't really interested in golf, but he wants to meet the right people who'll give him contracts for his shop-fitting business.
Yeah, he's like a Rodney Dangerfield without the sense of humor.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Logically, Afghanistan could've easily been on the list since IS have a foothold there.
And AQ still have presence in the Af-Pak badlands, and via the Taliban in Afghanistan.

So you agree the list makes no sense.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And AQ still have presence in the Af-Pak badlands, and via the Taliban in Afghanistan.

So you agree the list makes no sense.
Yes, I know. I used to work there.

It's not that the list makes no sense. If anything it's incomplete.

Rubberman

Reading reports that they probably will expand the list of countries.

On the subject of potential countries that could be added to the list due to ISIS/AQ presence, what about the Philippines?

Mindanao has a large enclave of Muslim separatists declaring allegiance to ISIS. Abu Sayaf/MILF.

Shipping would grind to a halt going in and out of the US with the amount of Filipinos employed in that business. Cargo/Oil and Cruise.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

On the subject of potential countries that could be added to the list due to ISIS/AQ presence, what about the Philippines?

Mindanao has a large enclave of Muslim separatists declaring allegiance to ISIS. Abu Sayaf/MILF.

Shipping would grind to a halt going in and out of the US with the amount of Filipinos employed in that business. Cargo/Oil and Cruise.
I would guess such a list would be more focused on groups who export their activities to the west, as opposed to local insurgencies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

He would've banned Papua New Guinea already, but he probably thinks PNG is an abbreviation for a natural gas company.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

What the hell?! Does anyone know if this is government funded?
It's like something out of Robocop.

Anyone know what happens when you pledge support and press 1? Surely it can't be raising money? Because if so, what for? And wouldn't that be illegal? It doesn't make any sense. (unless I didn't hear the advert properly)

EyeInTheSky

If only the Muslim countries would take their damn Money out of the US. That will cripple the US economy and show the morons who voted for him how much of a businessman he really is considering he managed to bankrupt himself in the past even though his father gave him wealth. He can add the United States as his most recent business "Success"

Smores

I just don't get what such a temporary ban is supposed to achieve, is he just trying to put something out so he can say he fulfilled campaign promises? Or is it a temp measure while they enact harsher border controls?

What it does show is that he doesn't care about the effects anymore, he's won and he'll do whatever he likes

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I just don't get what such a temporary ban is supposed to achieve, is he just trying to put something out so he can say he fulfilled campaign promises? Or is it a temp measure while they enact harsher border controls?

What it does show is that he doesn't care about the effects anymore, he's won and he'll do whatever he likes
It likely won't achieve anything other than initiate a shitstorm of pushback from the country, as well as from the GOP. This will be the first step towards Trump losing support from Ryan and McConnell. The second will be the Obamacare repeal.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The tweet is a bit misleading. It can hardly be a fig leaf for an outright Muslim ban if 9 of the 10 most populous Muslim nations are not on it.
It's a fig leaf for an outright Muslim ban when the bloke who worked on the commision says it is.

Although no doubt Trump's busines interested had a role in exactlty which nations made that list.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

A lot of what he does strikes me as symbolic, done for the message it puts out rather than a practical purpose in a classical sense. 'The wall', the 'Muslim ban', his twitter activity on sensible issues. Threatening to abandon the One-China policy while simultaneously loosening the ties to its neighbours via cancelation of the TPP process.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Pointless US government officials and lawyers sugarcoating this ban as being state specific. Let's be honest. It's by all accounts a Muslim ban, and ISIS and their ilk will be delighted with the outcome. Those wanting to escape their persecution are being denied an escape route.

Status
Not open for further replies.