The ugly face of racism in English football

Ludens the Red

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...silla-gets-eight-game-ban-for-racist-language

The usual disgraceful reaction from a club to one of their players being penalised for racist abuse. Why would players come forward when even after an independent panel find someone guilty, the club still more or less call the accusing player a liar. Why couldnt Leeds just shut the feck up, accept it and move on.

Leeds are saying it should be beyond reasonable doubt as with criminal standard. How is that ever going to be possible on a football pitch unless the camera is directly in front of the players mouth when he utters the words.

And they’re insistent on the player denying it, the same 33 year old player who claims he didn’t know the word ‘nigger’ existed, in forming his defence. This is the guy we are to believe. Presumably Leeds think the two Charlton players randomly decided to set up Casilla.

Honestly it’s a complete and utter joke. Expect John Leko to now be mercilessly booed should he ever return to Elland Road. He’ll probably get a load of abuse online too and all because Leeds United football club are a bunch of wankers.

All this kick it out stuff is all just PR bullshit from a lot of these clubs. The minute anyone from their club is accused of anything they immediately go into defence mode and ridicule any Findings of an independent panel. It completely undermines the whole issue.

arnie_ni

Why is a fan banned for 5 years but a player 8 games? Racism is racism, the punishment should be the same regardless of who done it

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I imagine footballers get sent stuff like this frequently but just ignore it. It makes you wonder about the kind of person that just thinks "you know what, let me send racist messages to a player who retired 20 years ago".

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I imagine footballers get sent stuff like this frequently but just ignore it. It makes you wonder about the kind of person that just thinks "you know what, let me send racist messages to a player who retired 20 years ago".

The lad who sent it has photos with people who I assume are or were his 'friends' that are black too. It's scary how common that probably is - people who hold these disgraceful views/send these types of messages while acting innocent in public.

Things like this reply don't help either. I know that she is trying to mean well in what she says but it completely misses the point.

AFC NimbleThumb

So this kid is finished.

I honestly struggle to understand why the default for some people when it comes to black people they don’t like/rate is racism :houllier: I’ll never get it.

There will always be tools like this - you even see casual racism/ xenophobia on here quite often. Unfortunately in this day and age, anyone can have a voice.

You hope there is an element of youthful naivety about this, that’s in no way condoning this, and him having this highlighted is likely to have a big effect on his life for the next few years - job offered suddenly withdrawn etc. Well done Wrighty.

What I would add, if football authorities actually had any morals or balls and acted on racist incidents in grounds, rather than hand out pocket money fines, then we would see less of this shit. These idiots think they can get away with it, because FIFA, UEFA and the FA do very little when racist incidents happen.

Raw

People debating whether or not it was right to show his profile. Feck him, utter scrote deserves all the hate he gets.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What I would add, if football authorities actually had any morals or balls and acted on racist incidents in grounds, rather than hand out pocket money fines, then we would see less of this shit. These idiots think they can get away with it, because FIFA, UEFA and the FA do very little when racist incidents happen.
Tbf this has nothing to do with football apart from an ex-footballer being targeted. Societal issue rather than a football one. I do agree though that the footballing bodies don't do enough in terms of fines/bans for racist chanting or abuse during games etc.

ShinjiNinja26

fecking vile little scumbag!! :mad: What does he get out of doing that? Sickening!! Now that he’s been exposed he’s claiming he got hacked typical, even though he’s already made posts saying he was sorry and shouldn’t have done it. Too right you shouldn’t have done it, now deal with the consequences you fecking racist prick!

Tbf this has nothing to do with football apart from an ex-footballer being targeted. Societal issue rather than a football one. I do agree though that the footballing bodies don't do enough in terms of fines/bans for racist chanting or abuse during games etc.
I disagree. When you see thousands of fans hurling racist abuse at players, and there are only notional punishments - that feeds into the psyche of people like this. It’s clearly not the only factor, but a global sport like football should be leading the way, not hiding in the shadows.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
fecking vile little scumbag!! :mad: What does he get out of doing that? Sickening!! Now that he’s been exposed he’s claiming he got hacked, even though he’s already made posts saying he was sorry and shouldn’t have done it. Too right you should’ve done it, now deal with the consequences you fecking racist prick!
Did he say he was sorry before or after claiming he was hacked?

How easy it to get hacked by someone you don't know? I was thinking that it could be one of his silly mates but would his mate know that there'd be a response like this? I'm still wondering why this kid would say this stuff to Ian Wright, was he even born when Wright was playing football? Was he watching Premier league years and just decided that he was going to send vile abuse to Wright. Even the R9 comment is strange, I'm pretty sure R9 is mixed race himself.

AFC NimbleThumb

People debating whether or not it was right to show his profile. Feck him, utter scrote deserves all the hate he gets.
This is one of my biggest peeves in these situations; I only ever see calls to protect the abuser in these situations.

The boy made his choices & Wright raised - the boy will need to continue self isolating for a while.

AFC NimbleThumb

How easy it to get hacked by someone you don't know? I was thinking that it could be one of his silly mates but would his mate know that there'd be a response like this? I'm still wondering why this kid would say this stuff to Ian Wright, was he even born when Wright was playing football? Was he watching Premier league years and just decided that he was going to send vile abuse to Wright. Even the R9 comment is strange, I'm pretty sure R9 is mixed race himself.
Racism & logic don’t mix.

Kid saw black & went rabid.

ShinjiNinja26

Nah, he’s not been hacked just sorry he got exposed. Why he’s done it I’ll never know absolutely senseless all together. :houllier:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Nah, he’s not been hacked just sorry he got exposed. Why he’s done it I’ll never know absolutely senseless all together. :houllier:
Alright, he's just a fecking idiot. I imagine he's the kind of person who's never really faced repercussions for his actions. It's probably not even the first time he's sent abusive messages to people.

I was trying to make sense of a situation that has zero sense which was silly on my part.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I disagree. When you see thousands of fans hurling racist abuse at players, and there are only notional punishments - that feeds into the psyche of people like this. It’s clearly not the only factor, but a global sport like football should be leading the way, not hiding in the shadows.
What are the FA or UEFA or FIFA supposed to do in a case like this? It's a Police matter. This lad doesn't have those views because a Russian or Italian team were only fined 50k for racist abuse instead of a bigger punishment - he has those views because he has been brought up in a racist society. He clearly isn't naive because he is aware of things like cotton picking and the connotations.

Should football be doing more to stamp out racism? Absolutely, but this is not to do with football, it's to do with a lad sending racist abuse to an ex-footballer.

Absolutely vile, and it won't stop anytime soon. More people should be aired out for shite like this in public and face criminal charges, except publicizing these statements can be extremely triggering for black people who have had to deal with this kind of abuse their whole life. In my state (which isn't exactly known for housing a lot of progressive people) there was a disgustingly racist tiktok made by a girl and her boyfriend that blew up on twitter. Their school was contacted and they were expelled, I believe acceptances from their universities rescinded as well. Can't say I felt sorry for them.

I know racial violence in the UK is nowhere near what we see here in the US, but it really is up to white people to call out other white people to even begin to have a hope for equality. Letting little prejudicial comments go made in passing by your friends or family just erodes that completely, it doesn't have to be overt brutal racism to contribute to the racial stratification we have in modern society.

Edit: That isn't meant to say white people are the only ones who perpetuate racism against black people, other minorities display prejudicial behavior all the time (the notion of people of color solidarity is a myth). But racism in the UK and US stems from deeply entrenched white dominance and supremacy

ShinjiNinja26

Alright, he's just a fecking idiot. I imagine he's the kind of person who's never really faced repercussions for his actions. It's probably not even the first time he's sent abusive messages to people.

I was trying to make sense of a situation that has zero sense which was silly on my part.
The worst thing is he’s got photos on his social media accounts posing with black guys. Whether their his friends or just people he met I don’t know, if it’s the former I suspect they certainly will no longer be after this and will have a few things to say.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The worst thing is he’s got photos on his social media accounts posing with black guys. Whether their his friends or just people he met I don’t know, if it’s the former I suspect they certainly will no longer be after this and will have a few things to say.
With people like that, they're not unapologetically racist like NF or neo nazis but they see black people as fair game for mockery and abuse just like other marginalised groups. He probably does have black mates who thinks are alright but when there's people he doesn't like that's when the abuse comes out and he wouldn't say this stuff in person which is why he does it from the safety of the Internet. If you went through his DMs, I'm pretty sure he's sent other disgusting messages to people.

RyRy11

Apalling stuff. Those "apology" Tweets from him couldn't be any less sincere. Book needs to be thrown at this kid.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Loads of people tweeted the Garda (police). Says he was hacked (though some screenshots suggest not)... if he wasn't, in for a tough few days, weeks... ah well?

'A statement issued by gardai late in the day on Monday, May 11 said: "An Garda Síochána is investigating an incident where abusive/ racist comments have been re-posted on social media platforms.'

"No formal complaint has been received but an investigation has commenced into the comments in line with our Diversity and Integration Strategy.

"A male adult teenager has presented voluntarily at a Garda Station and has been interviewed. A file is now being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

"An Garda Síochána are appealing to the public not to engage in social media commentary in relation to this matter."

The Irish person who presented himself to gardai has claimed that his online accounts were hacked, according to The Independent.

Cloud7

He deserves to have his profile shown, and deserves everything that comes his way for this disgusting behavior. I'll never for the life of me understand people that are concerned about protecting the abuser in situations like this.

Jack-C20

Well there’s one troll that now understands that saying horrible things on the internet isn’t okay. Well hopefully he understands anyway. Small part of me can imagine he’s sniggering with his mates about gaining 4000 followers in a few hours. Crazy world we live in.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I wonder where he got the word 'coon' from. I haven't heard that used since the 70's.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
feck him.

Fair play to Ian Wright for outing him like that.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I wonder where he got the word 'coon' from. I haven't heard that used since the 70's.
It's a common enough derogatory word to hear here in the west of ireland sadly. Not kidding but in Ennis one evening I was talking about Aguero whose nickname is Kun and was asked why Aguero is fine with that when hes not black...

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It's a common enough derogatory word to hear here in the west of ireland sadly. Not kidding but in Ennis one evening I was talking about Aguero whose nickname is Kun and was asked why Aguero is fine with that when hes not black...
I see. I don't think I've heard it since 'Love they Neighbour' and Alf Garnett.

What are the FA or UEFA or FIFA supposed to do in a case like this? It's a Police matter. This lad doesn't have those views because a Russian or Italian team were only fined 50k for racist abuse instead of a bigger punishment - he has those views because he has been brought up in a racist society. He clearly isn't naive because he is aware of things like cotton picking and the connotations.

Should football be doing more to stamp out racism? Absolutely, but this is not to do with football, it's to do with a lad sending racist abuse to an ex-footballer.
you spectacularly miss my point.

the fact kids can see on TV or when they go to football blatant racism all the time, and see little or no consequences normalises this behaviour.

when you see UEFA or FIFA dishing out nominal fines when there is blatant evidence of racist chanting it gives the impression that’s it’s ok and a minor incident.

when nothing happens in Italy where there is casual racism in their sports newspapers, and players like Lukuku are subjected to racism when they play, it normalises behaviour.

this all feeds back into society. If football bothered to take racism seriously, that kid would be more likely to think twice about tweeting such vile crap. If he knew there were consequences, he’s less likely to act.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ian Wright has handled that perfectly. He’s worn his heart on his sleeve and made it clear that these messages really got to him, probably more because they came from a child and why shouldn’t he? It’s easy to say that he should ignore it or rise above it but what does that achieve? It’s upset him and he’s managed to turn it around on the lad and let him feel all the hate and anxiety he likes to dish out.

Hopefully they come down hard on the kid and make an example of him and it discourages others from doing the same.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
you spectacularly miss my point.

the fact kids can see on TV or when they go to football blatant racism all the time, and see little or no consequences normalises this behaviour.

when you see UEFA or FIFA dishing out nominal fines when there is blatant evidence of racist chanting it gives the impression that’s it’s ok and a minor incident.

when nothing happens in Italy where there is casual racism in their sports newspapers, and players like Lukuku are subjected to racism when they play, it normalises behaviour.

this all feeds back into society. If football bothered to take racism seriously, that kid would be more likely to think twice about tweeting such vile crap. If he knew there were consequences, he’s less likely to act.
Yes. I’d agree with that but I’d also say that the education and societal structure we have that is built in racism doesn’t help either. It is an amalgamation of it all. I do think without football this lad probably would have held the same views as he is here.

Good that the police are dealing with it. The hacking stuff seems like nonsense to me. Why would a hacker out of everything they can do decide “hey, I’ll racially abuse Ian Wright”.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Paddy O’Brien can’t handle it now :lol:

Vile little cnut who deserves an absolute pasting.

Good on Wrighty for outing him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t even understand the Ronaldo comments. Ian Wright is always complimentary of R9.