The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

RoyH1

I'm sorry if what I write sounds very stupid, but I'm an absolute dumbass when it comes to medicine. Please be gentle.
Would it be possible to give some kind of anti- blod clot medication to people taking Astra as a preventive measure? It just seems like an awful waste not to use a vaccine that seems to be very effective against hospitalization/death.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm sorry if what I write sounds very stupid, but I'm an absolute dumbass when it comes to medicine. Please be gentle.
Would it be possible to give some kind of anti- blod clot medication to people taking Astra as a preventive measure? It just seems like an awful waste not to use a vaccine that seems to be very effective against hospitalization/death.
Good question

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It’s not stupid and I’m also not a dr but I know that there can also be some significant side effects from these drugs so you might open up another can of worms just to prevent a tiny one

I think the route they’re going of using other jabs when they can for younger people is probably the sensible option

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Anti-clotting meds have their own risks, would be difficult to organise and also expensive. I took a 3-week course of Heparin injections last year for venous thrombosis, and some people have a bad reaction to that medication.

A lot of older people (including myself) take daily aspirin to lower their risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and I'm wondering if that is a possible protection?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Aspirin was my first thought, but that has a lot of side-effects too. I don't take it because I have had stomach issues in the past. If AZ were the only vaccine I guess studies would be done on the comparative risks, but the other vaccines look like being fully rolled out before that would be done anyway. Agree with the others, it's a good question.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Anti-clotting meds have their own risks, would be difficult to organise and also expensive. I took a 3-week course of Heparin injections last year for venous thrombosis, and some people have a bad reaction to that medication.

A lot of older people (including myself) take daily aspirin to lower their risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and I'm wondering if that is a possible protection?
I read somewhere that Heparin is dangerous to use if a person has a blood clot because of the AZ vaccine.
Docs should use another type of blood thinning medication.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

golden_blunder

Staff

In ireland if I’m remembering correctly heparin is like €20 a needle shot. So yeah unless you’re covered it can be pricey alright!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I read somewhere that Heparin is dangerous to use if a person has a blood clot because of the AZ vaccine.
Docs should use another type of blood thinning medication.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
You’re right. The official guidance is to not use heparin if someone presents with these clots because of the similarity to a rare adverse reaction to heparin itself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It’s a good question but the risk of serious adverse reactions to the blood thinners (bleeds in the brain etc) would be higher than the risk of these clots from the vaccine.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
My parents both got vaccinated today (fecking finally). Such a relief. For me and even more so for them. I don’t think younger people appreciate the stress of living with a virus that has a good chance of killing you over the last 12 months. Especially when your remaining time on the planet already feels painfully short and precious. Puts my moaning about missing pints with my mates into perspective.

diarm

The chance she’ll die from side effects from the vaccine is about 1 in 120000. The chance that she’ll die in a road traffic accident this year is about 1 in 1750.

The death rate from Covid in under 40s is about 1 in 1000.
This can't be right can it? That would mean roughly 40k people will die in UK traffic accidents this year!

Bratt

My parents both got vaccinated today (fecking finally). Such a relief. For me and even more so for them. I don’t think younger people appreciate the stress of living with a virus that has a good chance of killing you over the last 12 months. Especially when your remaining time on the planet already feels painfully short and precious. Puts my moaning about missing pints with my mates into perspective.
Both of mine got vaccinated yesterday.
As you say, such a huge relief.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You’re right. The official guidance is to not use heparin if someone presents with these clots because of the similarity to a rare adverse reaction to heparin itself.
Thanks for your reply.

WPMUFC

Australia has announced for under 50s its recommended to get pfizer over AZ.

They claim there is no associated increased risk for those under 50 and have already had a first dose and that symptoms in young people are seen within the first few days of the AZ shot.

Had mine 3 weeks ago, still getting my second AZ shot beginning june

golden_blunder

Staff
Congrats. My wife’s parents are both done in the U.K. but we aren’t done yet. It’ll be well over a year since we’ve seen them and it was his 82nd birthday yesterday.

We’ve heard a lot of bad news from various people this week. Life is short, which makes me think of that passport thread again. Let them enjoy themselves if they’ve been jabbed

Classical Mechanic

This can't be right can it? That would mean roughly 40k people will die in UK traffic accidents this year!
Yeah dropped a bollock there! Got a figure off the internet without thinking about it! It's the lifetime risk of dying in a car crash that's surprisingly high. You see figures from 1 in 200 to 1 in 600.

golden_blunder

Staff
Australia has announced for under 50s its recommended to get pfizer over AZ.

They claim there is no associated increased risk for those under 50 and have already had a first dose and that symptoms in young people are seen within the first few days of the AZ shot.

Had mine 3 weeks ago, still getting my second AZ shot beginning june
One saying give it to over 50s, another saying give it to over 30s. AZ is confusing. I think I read somewhere this is their first dive into vaccines?

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Outside of the UK but inside Europe this shouldn’t even be a problem right for the younger groups. We are nowhere near the 30 years old and by that time we could just give them one of the other vaccins as there should be enough by then and use AZ for the non-risk groups.

Only frontline workers etc. but I’ll think large sums of them will take it anyway as they understand the low risk involved vs getting COVID.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Congrats. My wife’s parents are both done in the U.K. but we aren’t done yet. It’ll be well over a year since we’ve seen them and it was his 82nd birthday yesterday.

We’ve heard a lot of bad news from various people this week. Life is short, which makes me think of that passport thread again. Let them enjoy themselves if they’ve been jabbed
Oh man. That’s shit. Can’t be many 80+ year olds in the country not yet jabbed. Presume you’ve been hassling their GP?

I was actually taken aback at how much this meant to my folks. My dad, especially. Who’s always a complete stoic. He was quite emotional. When you know you’ve not long left anyway it must have been brutal having imminent death from a poxy virus hanging over you. Old people aren’t stupid. They read the statistics. They know how a trip to the shops could infect them with something that has a very good chance of killing them. That’s a horrendous cloud to live under. Completely different level of stress to what the younger generation went through. Feck any twat in their 20s/30s - with their whole lives ahead of them - who would stop someone of a similar age to my parents going on holiday this summer because “it’s not fair”. Boo fecking hoo.

golden_blunder

Staff
Oh man. That’s shit. Can’t be many 80+ year olds in the country not yet jabbed. Presume you’ve been hassling their GP?

I was actually taken aback at how much this meant to my folks. My dad, especially. Who’s always a complete stoic. He was quite emotional. When you know you’ve not long left it must have been brutal having imminent death from a poxy virus hanging over you. Feck any twat who would stop someone of a similar age from going on holiday this summer because “it’s not fair”.
Sorry man, maybe I wasn’t clear in my thread. They both have been jabbed in the U.K. but since we haven’t we still can’t see them just yet.

Good news for your dad. I think a lot are dealing with it silently but it must build up after such a period. I’m sure he will be delighted with his first holiday again, good for them hope they enjoy it

One saying give it to over 50s, another saying give it to over 30s. AZ is confusing. I think I read somewhere this is their first dive into vaccines?
It's down to the country giving it. Many countries in Europe are restricting it to over 50s or 60s because they have alternatives for everybody else. If the UK restricts it to over 60s they don't have enough of the other types for the rest of the population.

Coxy

Had my jab (I'm 38) on Saturday - almost feel back to normal now (just a sore arm left) - felt so rough for the first couple of days.

My wife is due her second jab next month - she's saying she won't go ahead now (she's worried) as she suffers with blood clots.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I wouldn't disagree. Although Australia has given itself little option in that AZ will be our main option for quite some time. We looked at the data from Europe and saw nothing that would warrant a delay (ironic given our glacial roll-out) but it would be nice if we could get enough of another vaccine for groups of concern. Maybe we keep what little Pfizer we are getting for young women for e.g. although the government is getting hammered (quite rightly) for their vaccine incompetence so I doubt they want to be accused of holding supply back. They have treated it like a party political broadcast since day 1. Thank feck the State governments have been here to be the adults in the room.

Our roll-out is so slow that the data is likely to be far more conclusive by the time our domestic AZ production comes online in the next month or so.

And I'm totally with you on the last paragraph. I recently applied to be part of phase 3 trail of a local DNA (not mRNA) vaccine. Not heard a thing so no idea if I will be included but I thought I should put my money were my mouth is given the opportunity.
They have rather surprisingly, given that it will be months before the at risk demographic will be vaccinated, slapped a warning on the AZ vaccine for U50's, which in effect means our only home produced vaccine won't be given to the majority of the population, not for safety reasons apparently but to maintain confidence in vaccines The problem is that the only other vaccine we ordered that is anywhere near ready, Pfizer, is in very limited supply and at the mercy of the EU.

We have ordered Novavax but that is a way off. Our Federal incompetents bet the bank on the UQ vaccine which failed and AZ. Surely this will be enough to get them kicked out? But I doubt it.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Had my jab (I'm 38) on Saturday - almost feel back to normal now (just a sore arm left) - felt so rough for the first couple of days.

My wife is due her second jab next month - she's saying she won't go ahead now (she's worried) as she suffers with blood clots.
Worth asking your doctor's advice as she is female, under 50 and has clot issues. In the general population the fatality rate is very low at approx. between 1 and 1.5 per million people vaccinated, and that includes those who would have had the same issue even if not vaccinated. However, your wife's risk is likely higher so they may suggest a different vaccine for the second shot.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
My mother in law is 74 and there is still no sign of her getting a jab.
Everyone around her seems to be getting it, even younger pensioners
She rang the GP again and she was told she just has to wait

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
My mother in law is 74 and there is still no sign of her getting a jab.
Everyone around her seems to be getting it, even younger pensioners
She rang the GP again and she was told she just has to wait
That’s crap. There does seem to be a bit of a postcode lottery. Most of my parents friends got the jab before they did.