The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

evil_geko

The individual immune response varies but generally speaking, all of the vaccines used in the west* produce a stronger immune response than from getting covid itself. So the vaccines provide "more" protection than what you have currently. What you've essentially gotten is equivalent to the first dose of a vaccine - maybe slightly stronger - but not the second. As a result, people who've had covid get essentially the same level of protection from vaccine dose 1 that non-covid people get from 2, and there is some evidence to suggest that vaccine dose 2 is kind of redundant for you - that's the closest reality to what your mate's describing. But dose 1 at the very least makes a big difference, both in the volume of antibodies (can be as much as doubled from the vaccine) and it is highly likely it will produce a longer-lasting immune response.

*one of the Chinese ones didn't in phase 3 trials, think that's the only exception but not sure about some of the other ones produced for domestic consumption in e.g. India
Yea we had a doctor talking to us yesterday at quarterly bullshit meeting, he was saying those with antibodies already would be the most protected when they get the vaccine.
Cheers.

redshaw

That would be a really bad idea globally though. Getting a vaccine at way less than freezer temperatures to a remote village in the middle of the Himalayas is just not a viable option unfortunately. Until we have Phizer like attributes in vaccines which can be held at room temperature (possibly fridge temps at a stretch) there's going to be a need for the other ones to get truly on top of this worldwide.
Doesn't the Moderna vaccine already do this though?

I feel it's the best vaccine to be mass produced for the rest of the world. Said to be easier to make than adenovirus vaccines and can be stored like the AZ one.

With all these various restrictions on AZ and some skepticism it should be phased out. If it was the only vaccine I could understand but there's multiple that don't kill or cause significant harm and one that does. I'd rather focus on those than play Russian roulette.

Traub

What happens if you get the vaccine twice e.g six months after you received your first full dose? Am I right in assuming it will just boost the immune response?

Can I get some information here from people who know their stuff about vaccines, a mate told me that he was told that he has to wait at least for 6 months from the February before getting a vaccine because he has natural antibodies from having COVID in that time and because of that vaccine will not be working and will just "die" inside.
But that sounds pretty unbelievable to me, searching on google I have found that you can just add extra layer of protection on top of natural antibodies and it's all fine.

I am pretty sure the first info is false but want to be sure as I wanted to vaccinate soonish but had COVID in January (I didn't test for antibodies though), cheers!
No. If you ended up in hospital with it and had certain treatments you should wait 3 months before getting vaccinated, but otherwise there is no need to wait. Depending on the country you are in, you might only get one dose if you have had a previous infection.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For all the talk of AZ hesitancy there’s some encouraging news from Ireland today. They just opened an online portal for 65 to 69 year olds. To keep the demand on the system manageable day one was for 69 year olds, day two for 68 year olds etc (although, obviously, anyone from 65 to 69 can register after the first day dedicated to their age) They were all told up front they would be getting AZ. On day one 75% of all the 69 year olds in the country had registered.

RoyH1

It seems to me that most rich and developed countries will in the future bet on RNA based vaccines, based on the success of Pfizer and to a lesser degree Moderna (great vaccine, hard to get outside Fortress USA). It'll be interesting to see if Curevac is effective as well.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Any way we can get all the other companies to stop what they’re doing and use all their resources to just manufacture the Pfizer vaccine?
Moderna too seems to be a good vaccine (till now), and which can be stored like AZ.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Isn't the Pfizer vaccine also got a similar 1 in 400,000 when it comes to blood clots as well?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
There's a study in the scientist today that said there was a 4 in 1 million chance of developing blood clots from pfizer and moderna. ( would that be 1 in 250,00 then? ) Much worse if you actually catch covid was the main point of the research I think.

Blood Clot Risk from COVID-19 Higher than After Vaccines: Study | The Scientist Magazine® (the-scientist.com)
It’s been known for a while that the risk of clots (and other terrible outcomes, including death) is overall far higher from catching covid than from any of the vaccines. The issue is a) you might never catch covid and b) there might be some people (especially young people) where that difference in risk gets small enough that if they do get a vaccine, they should get one which hasn’t been linked to this type of rare and very serious clot.

The article in the scientist is based on a preprint that’s come in from some (justified IMHO) criticism, summed up in this Twitter thread.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
@oates got his jab today, we didn't think he'd be called so soon but we got an email 2 days ago. oates is in a special category, and so we had to go to a small centre in a nearby town which is actually a hotel and wellness spa. All a bit bizarre, but the 5 pages of paperwork besides, it was pretty quick (because we'd filled in the paperwork in advance). He got Pfizer.

I should be able to make a booking from next week, I'm also in a special category. After that, it's the massive group of 60-69 year olds, which would normally include me as I'm nearly 63, but I'll hopefully be able to beat the rush.

I may still get refused by the doctor when I go because of my previous reaction to a vaccine, but I'll give it a try.

Maticmaker

Yipheee..got my second jab today, I now feel indestructible!

However will still wear a mask in enclosed spaces, wash my hands every hour, and keep plenty of space between me and the wife!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

I feel it's the best vaccine to be mass produced for the rest of the world. Said to be easier to make than adenovirus vaccines and can be stored like the AZ one.

With all these various restrictions on AZ and some skepticism it should be phased out. If it was the only vaccine I could understand but there's multiple that don't kill or cause significant harm and one that does. I'd rather focus on those than play Russian roulette.
The AZ carries a potential blood clot risk of about 1/1000000. Hardly Russian roulette (1/6).
But the thing you are missing is the cost. The AZ cost is significantly lower than any of the rest. And for many countries, this is a big deal.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Crazy story from India about the Covaxin which is being produced in India . Government decided to approve it without full phase 3 data . Now Brazil has rejected it and apparently there were some serious questions

prateik

Crazy story from India about the Covaxin which is being produced in India . Government decided to approve it without full phase 3 data . Now Brazil has rejected it and apparently there were some serious questions

We need to be atmanirbhar. Stop being aunty-national. This is sedition.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html

About 5,800 people who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells CNN. Some became seriously ill and 74 people died, the CDC said. It said 396 -- 7% -- of those who got infected after they were vaccinated required hospitalization. About 77 million people in the US are fully vaccinated against coronavirus, according to a CNN analysis of CDC data.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
@oates got his jab today, we didn't think he'd be called so soon but we got an email 2 days ago. oates is in a special category, and so we had to go to a small centre in a nearby town which is actually a hotel and wellness spa. All a bit bizarre, but the 5 pages of paperwork besides, it was pretty quick (because we'd filled in the paperwork in advance). He got Pfizer.

I should be able to make a booking from next week, I'm also in a special category. After that, it's the massive group of 60-69 year olds, which would normally include me as I'm nearly 63, but I'll hopefully be able to beat the rush.

I may still get refused by the doctor when I go because of my previous reaction to a vaccine, but I'll give it a try.
What paperwork did you have to do? (what country are you in?)

My doctor called me on a Thursday and said "can you come to the vaccination centre Saturday morning?" In and out in 2 minutes, didn't fill in/sign anything, didn't even have to show ID.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Had my first shot of Pfizer. I just got a little sore. Only a week and a half until my mark of the Devil is complete.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Oates has got his? :eek: Have they moved to under 40s already in Italy? :angel:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Except a) it still needs to be kept much colder than the adenovirus vaccines and b) not many places can currently manufacture mRNA vaccines.

As for playing Russin roulette bear in mind getting a leg thrombosis (which can kill) from taking a flight or taking the pill are broadly similarly risky activities. Nothing wrong with using a less risky vaccine when it is suitable and available etc but AZ and J&J type vaccines are still very much needed.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's been almost two weeks since I've been fully 5G assimilated. Still alive so far :nervous:
My local tower finally got 5G activated but I'm still waiting for a vaccination. I tried downloading one from the Google store but with no luck. I'm beginning to think this 5G coronavirus thing is a hoax. On the plus side I'm getting 150-500mbps download on my phone.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm Johnson & Johnson vaccinated, one shot. Janssen.
No real side effects i think.
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
My local tower finally got 5G activated but I'm still waiting for a vaccination. I tried downloading one from the Google stire but with no luck. I'm beginning to think this 5G coronavirus thing is a hoax. On the plus side I'm getting 150-500mbps download on my phone.
You were probably already assimilated and you didn't even know :)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The vaccine rollout in Australia is a fecking shambles. The feds had one job and then fecked even that up. Now they are having to get the states to save their sorry arses yet again. Assuming they can actually get any vaccines.

#scottyfrommarketing treated vaccine purchase as a party political broadcast. They bet the farm on the UQ vaccine (failed) and producing AZ onshore, which is late but going to happen even if we are only using it on the over 50's. The only other vaccine we have ordered is Pfizer but we were late to the party and there are issues getting what little there is out of the EU. Combined with their continued self destructive campaign to piss every female voter in the country off you would hope they are doomed at the next election.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04...ia-post-topsy-turvy-givens-politics/100075394

Lj82

Took my first dose yesterday. Moderna. My arm is still sore. Other than that no side effects

Penna

Staff
What paperwork did you have to do? (what country are you in?)

My doctor called me on a Thursday and said "can you come to the vaccination centre Saturday morning?" In and out in 2 minutes, didn't fill in/sign anything, didn't even have to show ID.
In Italy - there were forms for treatment of data, a consent form (you had to consent to the actual make of vaccine you were getting), one for self-certifying that you were in a priority category and a form with questions about your past and present medical history, medications you take, any Covid tests you'd had, that kind of thing. The doctor read the medical history form very carefully and asked questions.

I suppose if your own doctor is calling you, they have your medical history on their system - but I do think people should sign something to say that they agree to being vaccinated with whatever Covid vaccine.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
In Italy - there were forms for treatment of data, a consent form (you had to consent to the actual make of vaccine you were getting), one for self-certifying that you were in a priority category and a form with questions about your past and present medical history, medications you take, any Covid tests you'd had, that kind of thing. The doctor read the medical history form very carefully and asked questions.

I suppose if your own doctor is calling you, they have your medical history on their system - but I do think people should sign something to say that they agree to being vaccinated with whatever Covid vaccine.
Thanks, interesting how different countries deal with process.

I'm in UK, they just got down to my age group, contacted me (was actually a text not a call) and I rocked up.

In... "Name?", "Go sit there", "which arm?", "Go. Don't drive for 10 minutes"... out.

I was slightly surprised that they didn't check the text or ask to see ID (had my DL with me)... I could have been anyone? I think the only 'consent' here is if you turn up or not. I'm just glad to have had it - after 13 months of working from home, desperate to get out and about more and just gave me a bit more peace of mind as our lockdown is easing... going to pub, shops, etc.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thanks, interesting how different countries deal with process.

I'm in UK, they just got down to my age group, contacted me (was actually a text not a call) and I rocked up.

In... "Name?", "Go sit there", "which arm?", "Go. Don't drive for 10 minutes"... out.

I was slightly surprised that they didn't check the text or ask to see ID (had my DL with me)... I could have been anyone? I think the only 'consent' here is if you turn up or not. I'm just glad to have had it - after 13 months of working from home, desperate to get out and about more and just gave me a bit more peace of mind as our lockdown is easing... going to pub, shops, etc.
Surely they asked you a few questions about allergies etc? If not that’s straight up negligent.

Penna

Staff
Surely they asked you a few questions about allergies etc? If not that’s straight up negligent.
My BIL had his the other day, called at work (fire service) and he said anyone could have walked in off the street and had it. He wasn't asked anything either. If you're not actually attending your own GP, they should be asking you questions about your health.
edit - @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson, they should ask about your previous history with reactions to vaccines, at the very least!

King Eric 7

Had the AZ vaccine yesterday and apart from feeling a little sluggish when I woke up this morning I only have a sore arm to contend with right now.