The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is there any country administering Sputnik V?

India has that available from next month.. wondering if that's a good option compared to AstraZeneca
Trial data looks better than AZ. But cross trial comparisons can me misleading. Plus if you live in India the best vaccine for you, by far, is the first one you can get in your arm.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

India has that available from next month.. wondering if that's a good option compared to AstraZeneca
I think Hungary got some, a friend of mine over there are saying her parents refuse to take that or the Chinese one

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Good news
Some bad news too, found out from bloodsamples that I am diabetic.
Gonna go check that out in 20-30 minutes.

So far today only a sore arm again, so it seems like I will be fine from the vaccine. :)

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Gonna go check that out on 20-30 minutes.

So far today only a sore arm again, so it seems like I will be fine from the vaccine. :)
You must have had a million million blood samples though Ody, strange it's not been detected before. Good luck with it anyway.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Gonna go check that out on 20-30 minutes.

:eek: Lucky you got the jab(s) then. Covid is not friendly to diabetics as one of the comorbodities.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
You must have had a million million blood samples though Ody, strange it's not been detected before. Good luck with it anyway.
Most likely has come due to being overweight. My mother, grandmother and great grandmother had type 2, so I'm hoping for just a change in diet and a pill or two more. I won't notice that much.

Was found in 2 random bloodsamples last 30 ish days. Last one was a few days ago and I had values of 70 for longterm bloodsugar and 15 for short term.
If I remember correctly they should be on below 40 and 8 respectively.

I have had normal samples until now. :)

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I’d rather see the data on that from a legit source.
Covaxin if you have the choice is the one to go for. I chose covidshield(AZ) over it due to prejudice against Indian developed products and had a mild fever for a couple of days after the vaccination. Covaxin guys suffered no reaction and it's said to be as affective as covidshield.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A weird side effect of our governments feck up with betting the bank on AZ and a failed UQ vaccine is that I'll be able to get vaccinted with AZ in a couple of weeks now as they are now allowing all over 50's to get it because we have lots. What little Pfiser we have is being kept for the U50's.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think Hungary got some, a friend of mine over there are saying her parents refuse to take that or the Chinese one
Sputnik has some decent evidence on its side. It just doesn't yet have the kind of high volume (millions of doses - with published adverse reaction data) evidence that some of the others have.

The Chinese ones, I'm more suspicious of - though there are multiple vaccines and multiple manufacturers. In general with those it comes down to lack of solid published trials evidence and some wildly disparate trial methodologies and results where they have been revealed. The inactivated virus ones in particular seem to have low efficacy, and the inactivation process doesn't have published results.

golden_blunder

Staff
Gonna go check that out in 20-30 minutes.

Good luck with that. Just remember if it’s type2 you can affect it in a positive way too

golden_blunder

Staff
Sputnik has some decent evidence on its side. It just doesn't yet have the kind of high volume (millions of doses - with published adverse reaction data) evidence that some of the others have.

The Chinese ones, I'm more suspicious of - though there are multiple vaccines and multiple manufacturers. In general with those it comes down to lack of solid published trials evidence and some wildly disparate trial methodologies and results where they have been revealed. The inactivated virus ones in particular seem to have low efficacy, and the inactivation process doesn't have published results.
Yeah regarding Sputnik I’d want to see the evidence

regarding the Chinese ones didn’t the head guy come out last week saying it was 51% efficacy?

There are increasingly credible rumours that Sputnik might get EMA approval in future. More and more individual countries are talking about ordering it.

Isn't the Sinovac vaccine the main one on offer in the handful of countries like Chile where vaccination isn't working?

evil_geko

Pfizer, 24 hours later, aside from annoying arm ache so I couldn't sleep on that side, all good for now.

I read that Pfizer, even though not as efficient, does a pretty good job against the newest SA strain?

Traub

J&J data published in The Lancet. Looks good.
Overall positive.

Does anyone know the difference between the severity categories: mild vs. moderate vs. severe? When you read the paper, hospitalisation and death is not considered severe (i.e. worse), whereas I thought that's what severe would represent. Thought this was some good info:
In South Africa, no hospitalizations of participants with an onset of Covid-19 at least 28 days after administration occurred in the vaccine group, as compared with 6 hospitalizations in the placebo group. All five Covid-19–related deaths in the trial occurred in the placebo group in South Africa.
Pfizer, 24 hours later, aside from annoying arm ache so I couldn't sleep on that side, all good for now.

I read that Pfizer, even though not as efficient, does a pretty good job against the newest SA strain?
That's the thinking, we are only rolling out Pfizer and J&J here in SA.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Overall positive.

Does anyone know the difference between the severity categories: mild vs. moderate vs. severe? When you read the paper, hospitalisation and death is not considered severe (i.e. worse), whereas I thought that's what severe would represent. Thought this was some good info:
Definitions of mild/moderate/severe are explained in page 19 of the appendix.

Moderate illness seems to be actually fairly mild and mild very close to asymptomatic. Severe/critical cases are sick as feck though.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
What's the story with medicine for side effects after the Pfizer vaccine? Have read two sources so far and naturally enough, one said paracetamol and not ibuprofen, while the other said ibuprofen but not paracetamol.

Traub

Definitions of mild/moderate/severe are explained in page 19 of the appendix.

Moderate illness seems to be actually fairly mild and mild very close to asymptomatic. Severe/critical cases are sick as feck though.
Thanks. Severe looks bad. I'd imagine most of the cases relate to oxygen saturation below 93% or fast heart rate (both of which could be managed at home), given the others would likely result in hospitalisation, and there weren't any cases of this > 28 days.

evil_geko

Overall positive.

That's the thinking, we are only rolling out Pfizer and J&J here in SA.
Yeah, that was what I read the other day.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What's the story with medicine for side effects after the Pfizer vaccine? Have read two sources so far and naturally enough, one said paracetamol and not ibuprofen, while the other said ibuprofen but not paracetamol.
Either would be fine.

Although my preferred prescription for a transient fever/sore arm would usually be the following.

BD

Either would be fine.

Although my preferred prescription for a transient fever/sore arm would usually be the following.

:( I just wanna feel sorry for myself for a few days, and taking medicine helps add to that feeling. I'd be in calpol if I could get it here.

BD

I find a high fever weirdly enjoyable. Curl up in bed with Netflix on the iPad and relish the sickness!
To be fair I've been very lucky and have never had more than some sniffles, but the way I react to a hangover makes me dread how bad I'll take a fever or proper flu symptoms.

prateik

J&J data published in The Lancet. Looks good.
As someone who has no idea how to interpret these numbers, is 85% against severe/critical good? Most covid cases arent severe/critical..

Or does it mean the vaccine significantly reduces the change of a person getting infected.. and of that tiny portion, it guards against severe cases at that rate (85%) ..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
As someone who has no idea how to interpret these numbers, is 85% against severe/critical good? Most covid cases arent severe/critical..

Or does it mean the vaccine significantly reduces the change of a person getting infected.. and of that tiny portion, it guards against severe cases at that rate (85%) ..
It means there’s an 85% reduction in severe/critical cases when you compare the number in the study arm that got vaccinated vs the placebo arm.

There’s a 75% reduction in cases of any severity, from 28 days after the jab (the numbers being compared here include all cases, which includes critical/severe as well as mild/moderate(

I’d say the second figure is the more compelling of the two.

The equivalent stats for Pfizer/Moderna are much more impressive but they were tested at a time when the dominant variant was a lot less infectious and caused less severe illness.

We also need to remember that compared to the efficacy of viral vaccines in general (especially influenza) these results are all pretty spectacular.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

It's probably easier to visualise from the raw numbers:
They had 432 moderate or severe cases in the placebo group v 193 in the vaccinated.
They had 78 severe/critical cases in the placebo group v 21 uncaccinated.

They had deaths in the placebo group and none in the vaccinated.

In other words, it makes you less likely to have significant symptoms, your odds look even better if you only look at severe cases, and they look better again if you think about deaths. Basically it's dialed the whole virus back a couple of notches.

prateik

It means there’s an 85% reduction in severe/critical cases when you compare the number in the study arm that got vaccinated vs the placebo arm.
It's probably easier to visualise from the raw numbers:
They had 432 moderate or severe cases in the placebo group v 193 in the vaccinated.
They had 78 severe/critical cases in the placebo group v 21 uncaccinated.

They had deaths in the placebo group and none in the vaccinated.
Thanks a lot..
looked at the table from the article ... should have done it earlier..

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I find a high fever weirdly enjoyable. Curl up in bed with Netflix on the iPad and relish the sickness!

Can you recommend an illness that will see me incapacitated for a week or more, sweating profusely, no appetite but no long-lasting effects? I'd like a little kick-start on weight-loss but don't have the discipline to exercise and diet. Covid gets results but I'm worried about long covid and lung damage.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Can you recommend an illness that will see me incapacitated for a week or more, sweating profusely, no appetite but no long-lasting effects? I'd like a little kick-start on weight-loss but don't have the discipline to exercise and diet. Covid gets results but I'm worried about long covid and lung damage.
Tough one. We seem to have basically wiped out flu for the moment, which reduces your options. Maybe a good dose of food poisoning? A feed of rotten mussels should do it.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Tough one. We seem to have basically wiped out flu for the moment, which reduces your options. Maybe a good dose of food poisoning? A feed of rotten mussels should do it.

I don't fancy stomach cramps and three days of shits. Like you said, a fever is quite doable and a bit of chicken soup is all you need.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
methamphetamines should do as well

prateik

Most pleasing thing about that table is very similar results to the US in South Africa and Brazil.

I need to read the whole article. Did they present results for mild cases?
Don't think they had any data for that.. 1/3 cases for the 2 groups..
it does say
A preliminary analysis indicated that Ad26.COV2.S provided at least 66% protection against serologically confirmed asymptomatic infection with SARS-CoV-2.

R'hllor

Serbia having a option to choose Sputnik V, can share info i got when i was enlisting my parents, at the time got told that due their age 65+ and health issues they have it wasnt recommended for them to take it, few weeks after i heard that recommendation changed a bit for others interested in it.

Edit: When it comes to Chinese vaccine, there are two different ones, Sinovac and Sinopharm, one should be private and other state production.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Got my first Pfizer jab a few hours ago. Honestly haven't felt a thing so far, so fingers cross that's how it stays