The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Does anyone know why I'm only getting the option of going to the Etihad as my nearest centre (5 miles away), while my wife is getting the option of one within walking distance? I've a bad needle phobia so am going to be going with a hefty dose of diazepam in me, which means walking would be fine, but driving is out of the question.
They need to get people into the stadium somehow :wenger:

Classical Mechanic

Anyway, I'm trying to book mine, but it's being made difficult my the work schedule I'm on. I have to get something ready for a tight deadline which has meant working evenings and weekends for the last couple of weeks since I got the invitation.

Does anyone know why I'm only getting the option of going to the Etihad as my nearest centre (5 miles away), while my wife is getting the option of one within walking distance? I've a bad needle phobia so am going to be going with a hefty dose of diazepam in me, which means walking would be fine, but driving is out of the question.
Have you tried contacting your GP surgery or one of the closer sites directly?

decorativeed

Have you tried contacting your GP surgery or one of the closer sites directly?
Yeah, they say they have no control over where I am offered an appointment. Every other place they offer is even further away on the opposite side of Manchester. Everyone I know around here have been going much more local.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, they say they have no control over where I am offered an appointment. Every other place they offer is even further away on the opposite side of Manchester. Everyone I know around here have been going much more local.
It is a bit weird although I had no options very local to me. I was offered Harpurhey and The Etihad Campus as the closest. Maybe it's to do with vaccine stocks. Are your wife and other friends under 40 too?

decorativeed

It is a bit weird although I had no options very local to me. I was offered Harpurhey and The Etihad Campus as the closest. Maybe it's to do with vaccine stocks. Are your wife and other friends under 40 too?
My wife is 33, I'm 41, but my parents in their sixties were offered closer places. They've also set up tents in car parks around the corner at points, I wonder how you get into those?

Classical Mechanic

My wife is 33, I'm 41, but my parents in their sixties were offered closer places. They've also set up tents in car parks around the corner at points, I wonder how you get into those?
I'm not sure. I know my mum was trying for a few weeks until see got offered a local one as she wouldn't get vaccinated anywhere except at her GP surgery.

decorativeed

I'm not sure. I know my mum was trying for a few weeks until see got offered a local one as she wouldn't get vaccinated anywhere except at her GP surgery.
My wife's grandad refused to go to the centre they offered him as he didn't know where it was. Eventually they came round to his house and gave him his vaccination at home. He in his 90s though, so I'm not sure I can get away with that.

Tibs

Had my first jab on Saturday - Pfizer...I'm 34 and healthy.

By the end of the day my arm was a little sore, but a day later it was fine....very smooth and swift operation

saivet

A couple of my mates who are in their 20s have been offered the Pfizer vaccine now. Is there any way to find out how each local area is doing in terms of vaccine invitations?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can get Biontech (probably) via work but not before mid June.

I can get J&J or AZ fairly soon at my Docs.

I am tempted by J&J in order to be done with it but the protection rate with theirs seems the lowest.

Undecided.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just got the first jab (Pfizer). A few weeks earlier than I would have gotten it based on age (30, with no pre-conditions) because I work at the university.

Feeing great and it seems that Germany has put its shit together and now is going very fast (I think we are doing around a million jabs per day, the vast majority being Pfizer-BioNTech).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
My wife's grandad refused to go to the centre they offered him as he didn't know where it was. Eventually they came round to his house and gave him his vaccination at home. He in his 90s though, so I'm not sure I can get away with that.
You probably won't be the first with the excuse that you don't have a clue where this Etihad thing is.

Player Red

Are you having to enter a health care number or anything while booking? Maybe include/exclude that and see if you get different options.

Yesterday I got the text to book an appointment in the UK, and from next week i can book in Italy. I've been thinking all along we would end the vaccination process around the same time, with the shorter dose interval in Italy i will hopefully be done a little earlier here.

The national goal is to end all vaccinations by the end of August, so first doses should be done by the end of July. Then we've gone all in with Pfizer for the second round whenever that will start.

Traub

I can get Biontech (probably) via work but not before mid June.

I can get J&J or AZ fairly soon at my Docs.

I am tempted by J&J in order to be done with it but the protection rate with theirs seems the lowest.

Undecided.
You can't really compare protection rates, but it does seem that some vaccines are slightly better than others. Having said that, they are all really good at preventing hospitalisation and death.

How certain are you that you will get the Pfizer one by mid June? If it's uncertain, I would go for J&J now as you'll be protected in two weeks time. Waiting for the Pfizer second dose may mean you are only fully protected end of July (best case), which is about two extra months of being at risk.

@Pogue Mahone what did you decide?

Revan

Assumptionman
You can't really compare protection rates, but it does seem that some vaccines are slightly better than others. Having said that, they are all really good at preventing hospitalisation and death.

How certain are you that you will get the Pfizer one by mid June? If it's uncertain, I would go for J&J now as you'll be protected in two weeks time. Waiting for the Pfizer second dose may mean you are only fully protected end of July (best case), which is about two extra months of being at risk.

To be fair, Pfizer’s first dose offers more protection than J&J (which is given as a single dose). The Israeli data were showing 70-90% protection after the first dose of Pfizer so if he can get it by mid-June it should be a non-brained.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Thankfully the decision was taken out of my hands. Everyone in my age cohort gets Pfizer or Moderna. Looks like they’re going to give the awkward decision to younger folk instead.

Traub

To be fair, Pfizer’s first dose offers more protection than J&J (which is given as a single dose). The Israeli data were showing 70-90% protection after the first dose of Pfizer so if he can get it by mid-June it should be a non-brained.
I wasn’t aware of that to be honest. I’m biased as I got J&J and am in South Africa with our variant, so sometimes I’m not really on top of the effectiveness on other strains. I’d wait then if I was him, subject to there not being a current outbreak where he lives.
Thankfully the decision was taken out of my hands. Everyone in my age cohort gets Pfizer or Moderna. Looks like they’re going to give the awkward decision to younger folk instead.
Ahh ok. Always nice when the decision is made for us :lol: I guess younger people need the least amount of protection, so they should just take whatever they can get (assuming they’ve been putting their lives on hold).

mitChley

Ahh ok. Always nice when the decision is made for us :lol: I guess younger people need the least amount of protection, so they should just take whatever they can get (assuming they’ve been putting their lives on hold).
I believe its more that the risk of dying of covid (with the current levels and at that age range) are lower than the risk of a AZ related blood clot, so it's safer to give an alternative vaccine. As you get older, or the covid levels rise, the covid risk would then outweigh the blood clot risk.

Revan

Assumptionman
I believe its more that the risk of dying of covid (with the current levels and at that age range) are lower than the risk of a AZ related blood clot, so it's safer to give an alternative vaccine. As you get older, or the covid levels rise, the covid risk would then outweigh the blood clot risk.
I don’t think this is anywhere close to true. The chances of dying from AZ vaccine are less than 1 in a million. That it less than from covid even if you are young.

If you can get Pfizer/Moderna instead of AZ it is a no-brainer (better protection, especially against the variants), but saying that chances of death by taking AZ are higher than by covid is pure anti-vaxxer propaganda.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
What is wrong with that?
Umm, you've got people not vaccinated at all, then people getting trialled with boosters already?

Common sense would dictate those who haven't been vaccinated at all get it first. Pretty simple I thought?

Revan

Assumptionman
Umm, you've got people not vaccinated at all, then people getting trialled with boosters already?

Common sense would dictate those who haven't been vaccinated at all get it first. Pretty simple I thought?
Trials cannot be done in a day, right? You need to do them in advance (while you are vaccinating the remaining) so months later when you decide to give the third dose, you have data to back it up (or reject the hypothesis).

It never ceases to amaze me why people think that experts are idiots.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

The boosters is a new recipe designed to be ready to start rolling out to the most vulnerable when the first vaccination process is complete, likely with a small overlap.

F-Red

Some perspective is needed here. We're talking 3,000 people in a trial from the 20 million who have had both jabs already. The information will be important to understand come the autumn whether boosters will be needed & which one. I don't think the 3,000 jabs will be crucial when they're vaccinating at an average rate of over half a million a day.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t think this is anywhere close to true. The chances of dying from AZ vaccine are less than 1 in a million. That it less than from covid even if you are young.

If you can get Pfizer/Moderna instead of AZ it is a no-brainer (better protection, especially against the variants), but saying that chances of death by taking AZ are higher than by covid is pure anti-vaxxer propaganda.
In the risk assessment by age its not the chance of death it's measured against but the chance of ending up in hospital with Covid. The blood clots have a high survival rate, especially if caught early.

Revan

Assumptionman
In the risk assessment by age its not the chance of death it's measured against but the chance of ending up in hospital with Covid. The blood clots have a high survival rate, especially if caught early.
In any case, I am pretty sure that the risk of covid to end in hospital, ICU or die is significantly higher than the risk of AZ vaccine.

mitChley

Bit of a strawman argument you've made there.
It's the UK government that have made the decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57021738

"The risk of a clot is roughly one in 100,000 for people in their 40s, but rises to one in 60,000 for people in their 30s. Two in a million people in their 40s died rising to four per million people in their 30s.
At the same time, the risks of developing severe Covid, if you catch the virus, fall in younger age groups."

I'll wait for you to back down suggesting I'm spouting anti vaxxer propaganda.

Edit: Just to spell it out for you, someone has made the decision that it is is riskier in the current covid situation for me, a healthy 33 year old, to take the AZ vaccine, than it would be the risk of a) catching covid, b) then have a severe illness from it. So they've been giving below 40s an alternative.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bit of a strawman argument you've made there.
It's the UK government that have made the decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57021738

"The risk of a clot is roughly one in 100,000 for people in their 40s, but rises to one in 60,000 for people in their 30s. Two in a million people in their 40s died rising to four per million people in their 30s.
At the same time, the risks of developing severe Covid, if you catch the virus, fall in younger age groups."

I'll wait for you to back down suggesting I'm spouting anti vaxxer propaganda.

Edit: Just to spell it out for you, someone has made the decision that it is is riskier in the current covid situation for me, a healthy 33 year old, to take the AZ vaccine, than it would be the risk of a) catching covid, b) then have a severe illness from it. So they've been giving below 40s an alternative.
I don’t have the UK data but just in Germany there are more than 200 covid deaths in people that are in their thirties. This is higher than 4 in a million.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105512/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-by-gender-germany/

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Trials cannot be done in a day, right? You need to do them in advance (while you are vaccinating the remaining) so months later when you decide to give the third dose, you have data to back it up (or reject the hypothesis).

It never ceases to amaze me why people think that experts are idiots.
The boosters is a new recipe designed to be ready to start rolling out to the most vulnerable when the first vaccination process is complete, likely with a small overlap.
Some perspective is needed here. We're talking 3,000 people in a trial from the 20 million who have had both jabs already. The information will be important to understand come the autumn whether boosters will be needed & which one. I don't think the 3,000 jabs will be crucial when they're vaccinating at an average rate of over half a million a day.
Thanks, makes a bit more sense than what I've read. The way these things are reported in the general media is ridiculous, they give basically no information. I'm too lazy to dig into the ins and outs of it though. Know I'll always get an answer off redcafe.

mitChley

I don’t have the UK data but just in Germany there are more than 200 covid deaths in people that are in their thirties. This is higher than 4 in a million.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105512/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-by-gender-germany/
Cool, but I wasn't talking about Germany, or Germanys exposure levels.

Classical Mechanic has literally posted the stats that back up the decision I mentioned and yet apparently I'm spouting anti-vaxxer propaganda? Guess that's both me and the UK's medicines safety regulator.

zing

Zingle balls
Thanks, makes a bit more sense than what I've read. The way these things are reported in the general media is ridiculous, they give basically no information. I'm too lazy to dig into the ins and outs of it though. Know I'll always get an answer off redcafe.
:lol: Casual.

Revan

Assumptionman
Cool, but I wasn't talking about Germany, or Germanys exposure levels.

Classical Mechanic has literally posted the stats that back up the decision I mentioned and yet apparently I'm spouting anti-vaxxer propaganda? Guess that's both me and the UK's medicines safety regulator.
The number of deaths per age should be similar (if you adjust to population) in both countries. In fact, it should be higher in UK considering that they got the Kent variant earlier and in total have more deaths.

mitChley

The number of deaths per age should be similar (if you adjust to population) in both countries. In fact, it should be higher in UK considering that they got the Kent variant earlier and in total have more deaths.
So despite the BBC article I linked, and the stats that have been shown to you, you continue to insist. Ok then, there must some other made up reason why the <40s are being given AZ alternatives in the UK then, a reason you've not managed to name. I don't understand what you're finding difficult to understand about the logic and your refusal to back down so I'm just gonna stick you on ignore and listen to the sensible people.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

They’re going by current rates of infection, so currently if you’re in a younger group you’re more likely to have a bad reaction to the jab than catch covid and die. If community spread of covid was higher then they almost certainly wouldn’t have taken this decision as your odds would be much higher. The historical deaths from covid aren’t as relevant in how they’re working this out because you’re so much less likely to even catch covid now.