The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

F-Red

That's not very efficient. Does that mean you'e obliged to book both doses at once or the first dose booking won''t stand?
Pretty much, my brother has had similar issues when the 34+ bracket opened earlier in the week. He's in the South Lakes, first dose local & then the second one in Blackpool (140 mile round trip!). I get the feeling that they'll try to get the majority of second doses done in the larger hubs and freeing up GPs, hospitals etc to work through the waiting list backlog.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Pretty much, my brother has had similar issues when the 34+ bracket opened earlier in the week. He's in the South Lakes, first dose local & then the second one in Blackpool (140 mile round trip!). I get the feeling that they'll try to get the majority of second doses done in the larger hubs and freeing up GPs, hospitals etc to work through the waiting list backlog.
Do you know if he receive any email or text confirmation? I'm pretty sure the NHS has neither of these things and there was no option to enter them. Elsewhere on the website on the application details it states that you will receive a confirmation. Can't help feeling I'm still in the middle of the booking process and nothing has been accepted and if I turn up they'll have no record of me booking.

Bosws87

Do you know if he receive any email or text confirmation? I'm pretty sure the NHS has neither of these things and there was no option to enter them. Elsewhere on the website on the application details it states that you will receive a confirmation. Can't help feeling I'm still in the middle of the booking process and nothing has been accepted and if I turn up they'll have no record of me booking.
If you use the NHS covid booking you do get an email and text but mine came hours after booking.

F-Red

He didn't book on the site in the end, couldn't justify the round trip for his second dose. He's going to wait for his GP to contact him next week. I would give 119 a call and they might be able to check where you are in the booking process.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You should’ve gotten a booking reference. I forgot to screenshot but I went back to the page on my browser history and it was still there.

Bosws87

Ok thanks. I guess I'll wait a little and hope they contact me.
I didn't know if mine was booked at first the quickest way to figure it out for me was try and book again same details and it will ask for a booking reference if it's gone through, otherwise you will go back through the same process when you first tried to book.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
You should’ve gotten a booking reference. I forgot to screenshot but I went back to the page on my browser history and it was still there.
That's what I assumed but there wasn't one. I reckon that I only made it half way through the process before being sent on a loop.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
This data along with it looking like it’s going to be around 20% more transmissible as opposed to 50% means we should still be on track - good news and explains why England are bringing forward second doses. Wales are only going to do that if Indian variant cases begin to rise significantly.

decorativeed

Just sitting in the post jab waiting room for 15 mins,
Actually didn't feel a thing, ended up speaking to the nurse about Whiskey, :lol: :lol: Before I knew it the jab was done!
I think it's the build up to it that gets me.
That's good to know. I'm in the same boat, with the phobia, so I've got myself a couple of seditives to see me through!

Dan_F

Booked this morning for 9th June :D

Have to go to Bath Racecourse though but still.
I live in Bath, been trying to get something close today and it’s saying Gloucester or Salisbury. Not the end of the world, but there is several far closer.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
You're probably feeling the vaccine aches right about now. Hold tight a bit longer. Mine ended roughly 24 hours after the shot. Best of luck!
Cheers. About 30h on now, arm still rather heavy. But no other symptoms at all so I really can’t complain!

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
That's good to know. I'm in the same boat, with the phobia, so I've got myself a couple of seditives to see me through!
I know you’ll still stress but honestly it’s pretty painless. When it goes in, tiny scratch of a pain. The whole thing is remarkably efficient, no more than 2/3 minutes from arriving to receiving the jab (at least where I was). Which really helps as you don’t have much time to process and think, you just sort of get flushed through like a lemming :lol:

Suv666

I'm supposed to get vaccinated soon but the Indian government has announced that anyone who was Covid positive in the last 3 months shouldn't get the vaccine. I had it in April.

Suv666

I'm supposed to get vaccinated soon but the Indian government has announced that anyone who was Covid positive in the last 3 months shouldn't get the vaccine. I had it in April.
I'll probably get vaccinated anyway

decorativeed

I know you’ll still stress but honestly it’s pretty painless. When it goes in, tiny scratch of a pain. The whole thing is remarkably efficient, no more than 2/3 minutes from arriving to receiving the jab (at least where I was). Which really helps as you don’t have much time to process and think, you just sort of get flushed through like a lemming :lol:
It's nothing to do with pain. I once had a root canal without anesthetic (due to the needle phobia - I quickly changed my mind about the needle, mind!). It's about the whole experience. The environment, the words, the smells and sounds. At least it is for me, and I think it's based on childhood trauma. I get feint even watching a TV show or film with scenes with needles. I have passed out because of people talking about medical procedures before too. It's debilitating and really frustrating to live with.

Suv666

To be honest, you should probably wait a few weeks. If you had it in April you’ll be fairly well protected now and pushing out the vaccine will likely give you a better duration of protection. Plus that frees up a dose for people who might be more in need.
You're not wrong but I'm starting my masters in a different country from September. If I dont take my first shot right now I wont be in India for my second shot (82 days minimum gap between the first and second).

I can get vaccinated there but the thought of traveling unvaccinated gives me anxiety.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
@jojojo

You’ll probably find this relatable. Are you making any progress at all re next steps? Or are you still in limbo?
For sure. It's a messy situation, and it's one I did worry about even before joining the trial, and one I asked questions about - but we got assurances :smirk:

No one can assure you that the vaccine (or whatever) that you're trialling is safe or efficacious - and that's the gamble you take when you volunteer. The idea that you're also gambling on the professional and manufacturing talent of the supplier, and the smooth running of the global supply chain, is the bit that feels harsh.

In January they were predicting approval and first shipments in April. In April when they started the crossover doses, they were saying "any time now". They're now saying sometime in Q3 - is that July or September or never?

I don't expect the MHRA or anyone else to approve it without a verifiable manufacturable process. I would like a more honesty about timings - from Novavax and the NIHR. And if I do have to gamble on taking a different vaccine on top of the Novavax then I'd like to know sooner rather than later.

The NIHR say they are negotiating a form of words that can go on the NHS app to say I'm fully vaccinated - and they expect to have that ready in June. The NHS however still talk about acknowledging trialists on the app "once a vaccine is approved." Which, if they stick to it, means no change in the UK until sometime in the indefinite future - which would feel very shoddy.

Once it's on the NHS App, my attention will of course return to EU recognition of vaccine status. If it starts to become the difference between PCR test or not, quarantine or not - then it's a really annoying problem.

In honesty if I could take J&J tomorrow, I would:lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You're not wrong but I'm starting my masters in a different country from September. If I dont take my first shot right now I wont be in India for my second shot (82 days minimum gap between the first and second).

I can get vaccinated there but the thought of traveling unvaccinated gives me anxiety.
Oh right. Yeah, tricky one. In some countries (like Ireland) if you’ve had covid in the last 6 months you only need one shot as there’s good evidence that gives you the same protection as two dose of vaccine. If you’re moving abroad can see why you want to err on the side of caution.

zing

Zingle balls

Plus by then they will likely need you to have proof of vaccination to travel.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Very much hope transmission risk for the new variants remain low for those vaccinated.

My wife has 3 patients in hospital with the new variant, all of whom have has two doses since March.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unsure of this, she's a pharmacist that recently moved roles from intensive care so its just something she noticed in passing.
Thanks. Just curious. Wouldn’t really matter anyway. We know that even the best vaccines are less than 100% effective against even the most susceptible variants. So when you have a huge surge underway (you’re in India, right?) it’s inevitable that lots of vaccinated people will get sick. Some will end up in hospital and some will die. The talk of 100% protection against severe illness/death never made sense to me as the studies weren’t powered to demonstrate this. What we’re hoping, though, is that the numbers put in hospital will be comparable to, say, a bad outbreak of flu. Which is something we’re well used to and our hospitals are able to cope with.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thanks. Just curious. Wouldn’t really matter anyway. We know that even the best vaccines are less than 100% effective against even the most susceptible variants. So when you have a huge surge underway (you’re in India, right?) it’s inevitable that lots of vaccinated people will get sick. Some will end up in hospital and some will die. The talk of 100% protection against severe illness/death never made sense to me as the studies weren’t powered to demonstrate this. What we’re hoping, though, is that the numbers put in hospital will be comparable to, say, a bad outbreak of flu. Which is something we’re well used to and our hospitals are able to cope with.
Nope, London! So its either Astra or Pfizer being taken, but yeah even if its 80% efficacy then there will still be some people getting unwell. Hopefully those in hospital don't get worse and the overwhelming majority that still get covid post vaccines are mild bouts.

Do you know anything about how long the vaccines are meant to last too? My worry is everyone needs a new vaccine soon, and boosters might not be ready..

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Signed up for the voluntary vaccination with J&J or AZ here in Denmark. Apparently the doctors are full booked so I have to wait until I can get a consultation on risks before being put in line to get the jab.

Traub

Most likely it was AZ would be my guess.

Some anecdotal evidence from an ICU doctor here in SA (so SA variant): they have seen a few J&J vaccinated people in hospital, usually for a short period and not ICU. They've seen a handful of ICU cases, but they're unsure if they may have caught COVID within the two week post jab window. The vast majority of J&J vaccinated cases have been people at home with a fever and aches for a few days. Overall I think that's the best we could've expected - especially against the SA variant. We've just started mass rollout for 60+ mainly using the Pfizer vaccine, so within the next couple of months I think we will have a good understanding of Pfizer and J&J vs. the SA variant.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Got my jab today, Biontech. Most bureaucratic procedure ever, am a bit shocked. Germany...
but I am so happy I got it

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Very much hope transmission risk for the new variants remain low for those vaccinated.

My wife has 3 patients in hospital with the new variant, all of whom have has two doses since March.
I wonder how long post their second shot they tested positive? Of course no vaccine is 100% effective. Even those that are close e.g. rabies don't always result in a high level of immunity, especially if there are immune system issues involved. I once had to leave my dog in overseas and domestic quarantine for 6 months as I had to have her vaccinated again and then wait for over 3 months before bringing her back as her rabies vaccine hadn't produced a very high level of antibodies (shot only required for entry but a specific antibody limit required for return into Australia.). She suffered occasionally from lupus and had to take immune suppressants when she has an outbreak.

The massive decline in deaths in the UK has to be hugely related to the mass vaccination even if summer helped. As long as the pace of vaccination keeps up the death toll shouldn't retunr to anywhere near what it was and we also have new variant vaccines not that far away for next year.

Tarrou

About to take the Pfizer

Enquired this morning and got an appointment this afternoon (in sydney)

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
How long before the next shot? It is 12 weeks between AZ shots.
Biontech is around 5-6 weeks. As far as I know newer studies suggest that waiting even a little longer is more effective in terms of antibody production.