The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Biontech is around 5-6 weeks. As far as I know newer studies suggest that waiting even a little longer is more effective in terms of antibody production.
The recent data on the Indian variant is turning that logic on its head a bit. Looks like you really need that second dose to get a decent level of protection. So the gap should be kept as short as possible.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
The recent data on the Indian variant is turning that logic on its head a bit. Looks like you really need that second dose to get a decent level of protection. So the gap should be kept as short as possible.
thanks!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
So I made it to this page but continuing directly from that page to try and book a second dose leads me to a page saying there is nothing available. It says I can check back later or change accessibility requirements, but doing so leads me back to the page to book a first dose. Can I take it the first dose is booked then? I've received no text or email confirmation.
I also had this problem. Couldn't even finalise the booking of the 1st jab without booking a 2nd one. I had to book the 2nd jab much further away. Hopefully I can change that closer to the time.

But once I did book it, I didn't ever get an e-mail or text confirmation. Thankfully I didn't close the page which had my appointment number.

Classical Mechanic

Indeed. They've brought them forward here for over 50s and risk groups but I kind of want my second jab sooner now, especially if they're going to lift all restrictions on the 26th of June. My second jab isn't due until August as it stands.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I also had this problem. Couldn't even finalise the booking of the 1st jab without booking a 2nd one. I had to book the 2nd jab much further away. Hopefully I can change that closer to the time.

But once I did book it, I didn't ever get an e-mail or text confirmation. Thankfully I didn't close the page which had my appointment number.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I should have done what you did, and cancel the 2nd jab after because now everything has gone.

A terrible process, the site doesn't adhere to it's own instructions.

hmchan

I wonder how long post their second shot they tested positive? Of course no vaccine is 100% effective. Even those that are close e.g. rabies don't always result in a high level of immunity, especially if there are immune system issues involved. I once had to leave my dog in overseas and domestic quarantine for 6 months as I had to have her vaccinated again and then wait for over 3 months before bringing her back as her rabies vaccine hadn't produced a very high level of antibodies (shot only required for entry but a specific antibody limit required for return into Australia.). She suffered occasionally from lupus and had to take immune suppressants when she has an outbreak.

The massive decline in deaths in the UK has to be hugely related to the mass vaccination even if summer helped. As long as the pace of vaccination keeps up the death toll shouldn't retunr to anywhere near what it was and we also have new variant vaccines not that far away for next year.
The SARS-CoV-2 virus infects cells very effectively, especially epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract and salivary gland. It is not surprising that vaccinated people are tested positive and there is nothing to worry about. Vaccines still offer protection by reducing the viral load and preventing serious cases. Another thing that bothers me is why people are so obsessed with antibody level. Humoral response only constitutes part of our immunity and we also have memory cells when we are reinfected.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2021.02.019

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I booked my vaccine in for tomorrow. Still slightly dubious as to whether I should bother though and then there's all the conspiracy theorists planting a small seed of doubt.

One I saw was from a leading French medial expert in this field, saying that people that have the jab will be dead within 2 years and incinerated :eek:

Balljy

I booked my vaccine in for tomorrow. Still slightly dubious as to whether I should bother though and then there's all the conspiracy theorists planting a small seed of doubt.

One I saw was from a leading French medial expert in this field, saying that people that have the jab will be dead within 2 years and incinerated :eek:
There's no way that's the case. Somebody in a blog post will have made that quote up or said "I am a leading French medical expert" though.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Why on Earth do these people think they’d want to destroy 80% of the worlds population ffs :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Vaccines have always worked and the evidence is there to see now. Deaths in the U.K. are at the lowest since March 2020. Don’t let conspiracy bollocks even sway you an iota. Vaccines are phenomenal works of science and it makes me really proud that we can create something like this.

pocco

loco
@Solius @Snowjoe @Balljy

I don't usually believe any of this stuff, but it came about through a post from a covid conspiracy nut on Facebook. Only thing is when pulled up on the claim they backed it up with an article from this scientist in a French newspaper. I'll see if I can dig it out.

It does put that small doubt in your mind when you're about to get the vaccine as he seemed legit, though the article was in French and translator not great.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

I went for mine despite having a severe reaction to a vaccination in the past. I talked to doctors and took the risk. It's been 11 days now since my jab and I'm still OK. It's the first vaccination I've had in nearly 30 years, I've always avoided them since my previous experience.

If you are a healthy person, my advice would be don't hesitate - many millions of people in the world would be thrilled to have the chance. You know that the "leading French medical expert" is a mentally-unbalanced loon to be saying things like that.

pocco

loco
Why on Earth do these people think they’d want to destroy 80% of the worlds population ffs :lol:
Yeah that's the point I make. They reckon it's money, but how does wiping everybody out help that? Quick dollars made for vaccines but then less money after that. Just daft.

The latest claim is that they predicted a universal income being rolled and nobody working anymore. Apparently some countries are trialling it now, so this is proof to them that they're right, even though it's probably for unrelated reasons. Absolutely bonkers.

Classical Mechanic

The dumbest conspiracy theory I heard was that the vaccine is designed by governments to sterilise young people to bring the population down. Destroying the supply of the working age population would collapse society.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
https://verificat.afp.com/videoclip...entru-sustine-ca-pandemia-de-coronavirus-este

Above is apparently proof of them staging the news reports on covid... below is the article I mentioned...the guy won a Nobel prize in physiology and medicine. You can see why it would make you nervous :lol:

https://planetes360.fr/pr-luc-montagnier-les-variants-viennent-des-vaccinations/
We had tonnes of variants before the vaccinations even started in the UK. The Kent one which is now the dominant strain was discovered last Sept. We only started vaccinating in Dec.

This same man has also claimed Covid was made in a lab, which contained many falsehoods.

It is surprising to have a scientist of Montagnier’s stature utter such questionable statements – although Montagnier himself is a controversial figure. Among other causes, he has supported anti-vaxxers, homeopathy and a silly claim that DNA emits “electromagnetic waves”.
Vaccines work. It's as simple as that really. You should want to get it regardless of age. I know a girl who is 25 years old, completely healthy last year in until she caught Covid in August. Saw a Facebook post from her a few days ago, she now needs a wheelchair to get around and has severe chest pains if she stands for more than a minute. It's a small chance you'll get such bad long term results from catching it but why even risk that? I can't wait to get my vaccine.

stu_1992

Got a last minute appointment for this evening. Absolutely ideal! Bit nervous now as I can't say I'm looking forward to the process of getting jabbed with a needle, but had to be done!

Dealing with it in French is definitely adding some stress to the process as well.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
they backed it up with an article from this scientist in a French newspaper.
If the scientist actually said that then they are no expert. They are a dangerous lunatic spreading utter lies.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
We had tonnes of variants before the vaccinations even started in the UK. The Kent one which is now the dominant strain was discovered last Sept. We only started vaccinating in Dec.

This same man has also claimed Covid was made in a lab, which contained many falsehoods.

Vaccines work. It's as simple as that really. You should want to get it regardless of age. I know a girl who is 25 years old, completely healthy last year in until she caught Covid in August. Saw a Facebook post from her a few days ago, she now needs a wheelchair to get around and has severe chest pains if she stands for more than a minute. It's a small chance you'll get such bad long term results from catching it but why even risk that? I can't wait to get my vaccine.
Yeah I agree but without looking into the credentials of an apparent expert, the claim just stuck in my head. It's a bit mental for somebody of his stature to say the vaccine will kill us all. Whilst I agree that vaccines do work, I'd stipulate that the correct vaccines work. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been failed trials of other vaccines, or even vaccines that had no immediate side effects but long term issues.

That's sad to hear about your friend, I hope it's not permanent and they can do something for her. If not now then at some point. I've heard of similar stories from catching Covid itself. I have had it but was fortunate to have no symptoms.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I agree but without looking into the credentials of an apparent expert, the claim just stuck in my head. It's a bit mental for somebody of his stature to say the vaccine will kill us all.

That's sad to hear about your friend, I hope it's not permanent and they can do something for her. I've heard of similar stories from catching Covid itself. I have had it but was fortunate to have no symptoms.
Yeah I think it's worth remembering that it's not like all doctors are one team. They agree on most things but can disagree on others. This isn't disagreeing though it's just batshit claims.

Also unfortunately it is possible to be an expert in one field and still be absolutely useless at another. You'd think having that level of intelligence (to have been an expert on anything) would mean you don't fall down conspiracy holes like that but it can happen.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah that's the point I make. They reckon it's money, but how does wiping everybody out help that? Quick dollars made for vaccines but then less money after that. Just daft.

The latest claim is that they predicted a universal income being rolled and nobody working anymore. Apparently some countries are trialling it now, so this is proof to them that they're right, even though it's probably for unrelated reasons. Absolutely bonkers.
Of course that is exactly how UBI works.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
After my vaccination on sunday I now suddenly feel the imperative urge to buy windows, another xbox series x and maybe the lattest office version. Could you guys ask that french scientist about that?

Guy is 88. Shut up already, you stupid feck.

Pogue Mahone

Yeah I think it's worth remembering that it's not like all doctors are one team. They agree on most things but can disagree on others. This isn't disagreeing though it's just batshit claims.

Also unfortunately it is possible to be an expert in one field and still be absolutely useless at another. You'd think having that level of intelligence (to have been an expert on anything) would mean you don't fall down conspiracy holes like that but it can happen.
Can confirm that lots of doctors are absolute weapons. And some of them are even a bit thick. Or, at the very least, extremely gullible.

Mihai

Let me guess, Facebook?

Phil

Second Pfizer jab at 2 today and a big work meeting at 4.

People that have had both jabs, am I a bit screwed for that meeting?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Second Pfizer jab at 2 today and a big work meeting at 4.

People that have had both jabs, am I a bit screwed for that meeting?
Only my assumption but I think if you were to get effects it would take longer than 2 hours.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
After my vaccination on sunday I now suddenly feel the imperative urge to buy windows, another xbox series x and maybe the lattest office version. Could you guys ask that french scientist about that?

Guy is 88. Shut up already, you stupid feck.
Posted from Microsoft Edge

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Whilst I agree that vaccines do work, I'd stipulate that the correct vaccines work. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been failed trials of other vaccines, or even vaccines that had no immediate side effects but long term issues.
Vaccine trials fail all the time for various reasons. These vaccines passed all the safety trials.

Once vaccines reach the market side effects that later emerge aren't due to poor testing but due to them being so rare as to not show up in trials. This is the case for all vaccines and nothing different is happening with covid vaccines. In that case the choices are to a) use a different vaccine if available, b) not vaccinate particularly affected groups (e.g. 1976 flu vaccine cause a very slight increase in the incidence of guillain barre syndrome but getting the flu increased it even more, so people who had had guillain barre syndrome in the past 6 months weren't vaccinate) or c) carry on vaccinating if there is no alternative and the risks are low in comparison to the risk of the illness as is the case with AZ in older people and indeed with everyone in infected countries if there is no alternatives.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Only my assumption but I think if you were to get effects it would take longer than 2 hours.
My son got Pfizer and his minimal symptoms took longer than this to emerge. I got AZ and the minimal symptoms took over 6 hrs to emerge.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Can confirm that lots of doctors are absolute weapons. And some of them are even a bit thick. Or, at the very least, extremely gullible.
But if he said what was reported I'd suspect cognitive impairment or severe mental illness.

Bosws87

hmchan

Why can't they stick them on a couple of planes and send them to India? It's so maddening.
It's apparently a fake news. Yes we have plenty of unused vaccines but as far as I know, no one mentions about throwing them away. We have delayed the latest shipment from Pfizer and we are trying to make good use of the remaining doses. It's likely we'll donate them to neighboring regions.

Pogue Mahone

It's apparently a fake news. Yes we have plenty of unused vaccines but as far as I know, no one mentions about throwing them away. We have delayed the latest shipment from Pfizer and we are trying to make good use of the remaining doses. It's likely we'll donate them to neighboring regions.
I can’t remember if it was you I was discussing this with but wasn’t vaccine hesitancy in HK supposed to be about a distrust of Chinese vaccines? Is it really so difficult to convince the populace to take Pfizer?