The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Denis79

Finally got my third a few days back. Seems it will be difficult to dodge Omicron, atleast I'll be a bit more prepared.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Finally got my third a few days back. Seems it will be difficult to dodge Omicron, atleast I'll be a bit more prepared.
We know quite a few people here in Sydney who have caught it recently and the double vaxxed are more common and worse effected (average a week of bad cold like symptoms) whereas fewer triple vaxxed people seem to get it and feel bad for a shorter time (2/3 days).

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Maybe there are some quick fixes? There are people much better qualified than me to have an opinion about that. Whatever, it’s obvious that the first and most urgent problem is finding a way for Africa to make better use of the vaccines already allocated. So whenever the WHO (or assorted Twitter whingers) get outraged about booster programs and say “those doses should be going to Africa instead!” it’s fair to say they’re missing the point.
There will be no quick fixes. Because we see Africa as a problem, not an equal.

Pharma companies should be selling cheap doses AND the recipe by now. African has the ability to manufacture and distribute. It just needs permission.

One in four people will be African inside my lifetime. How the world acted from November 2019 after the vaccine development won’t be forgotten.

Denis79

We know quite a few people here in Sydney who have caught it recently and the double vaxxed are more common and worse effected (average a week of bad cold like symptoms) whereas fewer triple vaxxed people seem to get it and feel bad for a shorter time (2/3 days).
Interesting, hopefully my whole family will avoid infection until they all recieve their third shot.

I guess the majority of the double vaxxed have lost a bit of their immunity because the last shot was most likely taken a few months back?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Interesting, hopefully my whole family will avoid infection until they all recieve their third shot.

I guess the majority of the double vaxxed have lost a bit of their immunity because the last shot was most likely taken a few months back?
I think declining antibodies, and then the delay between exposure to the virus and memory cells kicking in to action, is at least part of it but I'm getting the feeling that the third shot improves the immune response over an above there just being new and active antibodies present.

Does anyone know? @jojojo @Pogue Mahone @Tony Babangida or all the other posters who I have forgotten to tag.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Bovine cells or biological material is used in vaccine research and the growth medium in vaccine production. The vaccines themselves don't contain bovine material from what I've read.
It should not be needed for the mRNA vaccines though.

The components other than mRNA are almost certainly synthesized and not biological.

As for the mRNA, it is made using T7 RNA polymerase (an enzyme derived from a virus) and rNTP’s. In meetings with both Pfizer and Moderna they have stated they absolutely require animal origin free certification for both of those.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It should not be needed for the mRNA vaccines though.

The components other than mRNA are almost certainly synthesized and not biological.

As for the mRNA, it is made using T7 RNA polymerase (an enzyme derived from a virus) and rNTP’s. In meetings with both Pfizer and Moderna they have stated they absolutely require animal origin free certification for both of those.
I read they used animal cells in research but no idea what or how accurate that is.

Edit:

I found this which states cow milk is the only animal product used in the early manufacturing stage:

https://www.nottsapc.nhs.uk/media/1642/covidvaccinefaqspfizer.pdf

Does the COVID-19 vaccine contain any animal derivatives?

The manufacturer provides the following information:
• A material used in the early stage of the manufacturing process contains a component that is derived from bovine milk. The bovine milk is fit for human consumption and complies with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)/transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE) regulations.
• Other raw materials used in the manufacture of the vaccine are of non-animal origin.
• All lipid excipients used in the vaccine are either from plant-derived sources or are synthetic and have no animal components.
• The manufacturer cannot guarantee that minute amounts of substances are not contained in raw materials obtained from their suppliers.

The manufacturer states that animal or human cell lines are not used in the manufacturing process of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I read they used animal cells in research but no idea what or how accurate that is.

Edit:

I found this which states cow milk is the only animal product used in the early manufacturing stage:

https://www.nottsapc.nhs.uk/media/1642/covidvaccinefaqspfizer.pdf

Does the COVID-19 vaccine contain any animal derivatives?

The manufacturer provides the following information:
• A material used in the early stage of the manufacturing process contains a component that is derived from bovine milk. The bovine milk is fit for human consumption and complies with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)/transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE) regulations.
• Other raw materials used in the manufacture of the vaccine are of non-animal origin.
• All lipid excipients used in the vaccine are either from plant-derived sources or are synthetic and have no animal components.
• The manufacturer cannot guarantee that minute amounts of substances are not contained in raw materials obtained from their suppliers.

The manufacturer states that animal or human cell lines are not used in the manufacturing process of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
for sure animal cells are used in research. Likely mice and other animals as well. As it stands we do not have an alternative for either cell culture or animal models. There has been some advances in the use of computer modeling that has reduced the need for some testing, but at the end of the day you need to see how a drug/virus/bacteria/etc. behave in a complex biological system.

The topic of animal models in research is an important one and would not be out of place as it’s own thread.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If these numbers are correct, I'm wondering how long booster-induced protection lasts

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There will be no quick fixes. Because we see Africa as a problem, not an equal.

Pharma companies should be selling cheap doses AND the recipe by now. African has the ability to manufacture and distribute. It just needs permission.

One in four people will be African inside my lifetime. How the world acted from November 2019 after the vaccine development won’t be forgotten.
Having established that Africa has been struggling to get the doses already provided (for free) into arms I don’t see how selling them more vaccines, or allowing them manufacture additional doses solves anything.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If these numbers are correct, I'm wondering how long booster-induced protection lasts

That’s a really important question. Although, as per the tweet you shared, a lot of people think 3 doses are needed to complete a full vaccine course. The waning after two doses is due to an insufficient immune stimulation to begin with. The fact that a 4th dose (in Israel) doesn’t seem to give much/any additional benefit supports this.

Anyway, the most important thing we can say about duration of booster protection is it will definitely outlast the omicron wave.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Got my booster dose of Pfizer on Saturday, had a pretty rough Sunday with a really bad headache and just generally feeling crap but was okay by the end of the night. However I can't seem to shift my fecking sore arm which didn't happen to me on the previous two. It's somehow sore on the inside of my bicep if I fully stretch out my arm, and also a little sore to touch too. On Monday it felt like it was in my armpit area, then yesterday further down my arm towards the inside of my elbow but now is just right in the middle of the bicep. Fecking annoying.
The armpit thing seems common enough, an old colleague of mine got it and was worried about breast cancer so she looked into it and there were loads with the same after effects. It went after about 5 days

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I’m not sure what your point is here. This isn’t a new phenomenon. It’s been known about for decades. In every placebo controlled study ever reported the subjects in the placebo arm always get a load of side effects.
that's really weird. I knew placebo could do good things don't know why I never figured you could have negative placebo too

stu_1992

The armpit thing seems common enough, an old colleague of mine got it and was worried about breast cancer so she looked into it and there were loads with the same after effects. It went after about 5 days
Yeah same for me. 5 or 6 days and it was more or less gone. Was quite annoying while it lasted though. Definitely worse than my first 2 jabs.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So I had previous said I wasn’t vaccinating my 11 year old. So I should own up to changing my mind. This is partly because it turns out she wanted to get vaccinated (after all her friends started banging on about how they got the jab) but also because it occurred to me that there’s an incredibly remote chance of a new variant popping up which is much more dangerous to kids than any of the variants so far. And I didn’t want to end up in a panic trying to get her urgently vaccinated while the new variant was already spreading. So yeah, that’s the whole family dosed now. Done and dusted.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Got my booster yesterday and woke up in the middle of the night feeling like dogshit, sweating, light fever, headache, then cold chills and couldn't sleep anymore. Temperature is back to normal now, headache still there, neck is sore. Hopefully this 3rd shot will be worth something, hadn't felt this bad or sick in years.

Red_toad

What of the none vaxxed? Is it just a cold for them, as that's all I'm seeing them say online.

Red_toad

The none vaxxed are disproportionately represented in ICUs all over the world. It wasn’t “just a cold” for any of them.
We're in early stages of Omicron in Western Australia, keep seeing lots of people advocating not doing check ins, nor getting tested and to actively try to spread the virus. Allowing nature to take it's course as it's only a cold. I am amazed at the hell bent belief that they're in the right and everyone else is a sheep.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
We're in early stages of Omicron in Western Australia, keep seeing lots of people advocating not doing check ins, nor getting tested and to actively try to spread the virus. Allowing nature to take it's course as it's only a cold. I am amazed at the hell bent belief that they're in the right and everyone else is a sheep.
That idea is a lot less insane than when earlier variants were circulating and idiots all over the world proposed letting it rip in the absence of any vaccines. At least now the majority who die will only have themselves to blame.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What of the none vaxxed? Is it just a cold for them, as that's all I'm seeing them say online.
The 5% of unvaccinated adults are responsible for 50% of ICU admissions in NSW. 30% of adults have had a third shot and it sounds like there have been zero or close to zero ICU admissions in NSW.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
After my third shot I felt a weird tightness around my heart for about a day. Obviously I did feck all about it as it was mild and haven't felt anything since. Was uncomfortable though.

izec

Just tested positive for Covid for the first time. Feel gutted, too early. I was due for the booster in a couple of weeks.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just tested positive for Covid for the first time. Feel gutted, too early. I was due for the booster in a couple of weeks.
The good news is that infection plus 3 shots gives you great protection when you can get it. Hope you only get mild symptoms.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
After my third shot I felt a weird tightness around my heart for about a day. Obviously I did feck all about it as it was mild and haven't felt anything since. Was uncomfortable though.
Was it anxiety maybe??

Sounds worrying though.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I tested positive back in May I think, got the vaccine in July and had my booster the other day, Felt worse from the first vaccine than I did from the virus, was the opposite for my wife though as the virus hit her hard, she still doesn't have her smell back.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

A new right wing cause celebre in America. :rolleyes:
Good to see the hospitals / doctors holding true to policy. There’s a 31 y/o father of three who needs another heart & is terminally ill that was removed from the top of the transplant list because he won’t get the vax. His family, including his wife, fully support him in the face of his certain death in somewhat short order.

Just batshit insanity.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Good to see the hospitals / doctors holding true to policy. There’s a 31 y/o father of three who needs another heart & is terminally ill that was removed from the top of the transplant list because he won’t get the vax. His family, including his wife, fully support him in the face of his certain death in somewhat short order.

Just batshit insanity.
Yeah, a friend is a surgeon and had a patient removed from the lung transplant list for the same reason despite being on ECMO already.

It's amazing that people believe the vaccine is worse than actual death.