The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Those transplant patients. With the drugs they’ll be on for lifetime, vaccines would be crucial as covid is not looking likely to go away.
doctors are probably deciding they dont want to waste a donated organ on someone who won’t look after themselves post op

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Interesting stats on hospitalisations in SA. At the start of the Omicron outbreak everyone was wondering if we could really use the SA experience directly in Europe. In particular, were their reassuring looking stats being driven by high levels of past infection and whether they would mean the same thing for the vaccinated.

As it turns out, SA are now able to bring us important news on the value of the vaccines, even in places where a lot of people have been exposed to the virus in the past.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!

This graph is a damning assessment of the impact of vaccine hesitancy in the US. Well done, Joe Rogan et al…
80,000 NHS staff still have not taken their first vaccine. I blame Russel Brand who is good friend with Joe Rogan and therefore should also be cancelled, deplatformed, demonitized.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
80,000 NHS staff still have not taken their first vaccine. I blame Russel Brand who is good friend with Joe Rogan and therefore should also be cancelled, deplatformed, demonitized.
They’re both tiresome bores so if you’re keen to get them off the air then please go right ahead. Knock yourself out.

Last edited:

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
They’re both tiresome bores so if you’re keen to get them both off the air then please go right ahead. Knock yourself out.
Seriously though, there are 80,000 NHS staff who we, as patients and carers, trust with our lives, and who are refusing to get vaccinated, thus putting lives at risk. Do you not think that as law obedient citizens & tax payers we have the right to know who's to blame for the NHS staff developing such gross anti-science, anti-vax views?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Seriously though, there are 80,000 NHS staff who we, as patients and carers, trust with our lives, and who are refusing to get vaccinated, thus putting lives at risk. Do you not think that as law obedient citizens & tax payers we have the right to know who's to blame for the NHS staff developing such gross anti-science, anti-vax views?
UK vaccination uptake is excellent, across the board. Vastly superior to the US. It could always be better, obviously, but the UK is not somewhere that has serious issues around vaccine hesitancy. Amongst NHS staff, or anyone else. So what’s your point?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
UK vaccination uptake is excellent, across the board. Vastly superior to the US. It could always be better, obviously, but the UK is not somewhere that has serious issues around vaccine hesitancy. Amongst NHS staff, or anyone else. So what’s your point?
My point is you blamed Joe Rogan for the hesitancy in vaccination uptake in the US. In the US only 75.06% of the population are vaccinated.

In the UK only 76,70% of the population are vaccinate. So clearly we need someone to blame here in the UK as well. But who? Why is this happening?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
My point is you blamed Joe Rogan for the hesitancy in vaccination uptake in the US. In the US only 75.06% of the population are vaccinated.

In the UK only 76,70% of the population are vaccinate. So clearly we need someone to blame here in the UK as well. But who? Why is this happening?

HTH.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Based on a quick google, there are >1m frontline NHS staff, so this means a ~92% vaccination rate.
US' rate is in the mid-60s.

e - I'm still confused what this has to do with Brand and/or Rogan. Your post seems to assume that Rogan can't be influential outside the US, and that he is the primary source (patient zero?) of skepticism.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Based on a quick google, there are >1m frontline NHS staff, so this means a ~92% vaccination rate.

e - I'm still confused what this has to do with Brand and/or Rogan. Your post seems to assume that Rogan can't be influential outside the US, and that he is the primary source (patient zero?) of skepticism.
I’m assuming he’s a big Rogan fan (there must be some out there, right?) whose feelings got hurt by my comment which mentioned Rogan’s name in the context of vaccine hesitancy.

Either that or he doesn’t know what “et al” means…

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I’m assuming he’s a big Rogan fan (there must be some out there, right?) whose feelings got hurt by my comment which mentioned Rogan’s name in the context of vaccine hesitancy.

Missed your comment under the tweet.

I checked around and apparently Rogan is the #1 podcast in UK, while Brand isn't on the list/is 82nd :lol:

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!

I don't give two shits about that white, racist, meat head. Laugh out loud.

And yes, I do know what "et al" means. I have two degrees, one from the University of Leicester, and one from the University of Nottingham.

There was really no need to hurt my feelings insinuating that I'm not educated enough. I'm already struggling enough with my confidence, so your sarcastic comments are really out of place.

Last edited:

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!

My point is that there are still 80,000 vaccinated NHS STAFF! They should know better! So I'd like to understand the reasons why they are resisting the vaccination program and what consequences should they suffer for their irresponsible behavior.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don't give two shits about that white, racist, meat head. Laugh out loud.

And yes, I do know what "et al" means. I have two degrees, one from the University of Leicester, and one from the University of Nottingham.

There was really no need to hurt my feelings insinuating that I'm not educated enough. I'm already struggling enough with my confidence, so your sarcastic comments are really out of place.
If you don’t want people to assume you’re dumb then maybe don’t act dumb?

I was a bit taken aback that anyone would be unaware that vaccines have been politicised in the US (much more so than EU/UK) with their constant online culture war a big driver of this division. A culture war that some of Rogan’s guests (and Rogan himself) has played a part in.

You know this, though. You’re a smart guy. So should I assume you’re just trolling?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
If you don’t want people to assume you’re dumb then maybe don’t act dumb?

I was a bit taken aback that anyone would be unaware that vaccines have been politicised in the US (much more so than EU/UK) with their constant online culture war a big driver of this division. A culture war that some of Rogan’s guests (and Rogan himself) has played a part in.

You know this, though. You’re a smart guy. So should I assume you’re just trolling?
I'm not trolling. Why would you assume that I'm not educated enough to know what "et al" means?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm not trolling. Why would you assume that I'm not educated enough to know what "et al" means?
I never brought up your education, nor did I assume anything. I speculated that you didn’t know what “et al” meant when you went off on one, trying to blame Russell Brand for ~ 8% of NHS staff not getting vaccinated.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I never brought up your education, nor did I assume anything. I speculated that you didn’t know what “et al” meant when you went off on one, trying to blame Russell Brand for ~ 8% of NHS staff not getting vaccinated.
Ah ok, fair enough. Yes, I do know what it means.

I was only wondering that, if Joe Rogan is partly to blame for a negative vaccination uptake in the U.S. (due to the views he promotes on his podcast), could a similar case be made for the U.K., and a negative vaccination uptake in part be blamed on R. Brand and the unfavourable views he’s promoting on his podcast.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ah ok, fair enough. Yes, I do know what it means.

I was only wondering that, if Joe Rogan is partly to blame for a negative vaccination uptake in the U.S. (due to the views he promotes on his podcast), could a similar case be made for the U.K., and a negative vaccination uptake in part be blamed on R. Brand and the unfavourable views he’s promoting on his podcast.
Maybe? But it’s not a big issue if it is, because uptake in the UK has been excellent. So there really isn’t any need for finger pointing.

In the US there’s been a big divide for political reasons, which is a disaster. And that divide has been made worse by the sort of right wing grifter that Rogan has often had as a guest on his show. So I can understand why there’s a bit of soul searching going on about how to rein in the sort of misinformation shared on shows like his. This also includes major news networks like Fox news. The issue is much bigger than podcasts.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Maybe? But it’s not a big issue if it is, because uptake in the UK has been excellent. So there really isn’t any need for finger pointing.

In the US there’s been a big divide for political reasons, which is a disaster. And that divide has been made worse by the sort of right wing grifter that Rogan has often had as a guest on his show. So I can understand why there’s a bit of soul searching going on about how to rein in the sort of misinformation shared on shows like his. This also includes major news networks like Fox news. The issue is much bigger than podcasts.
Well, I'd say the vaccination uptake in the U.K. has been slightly better that in the U.S. The share of fully vaccinated people in the U.K. is 70.88% (the overall share is 76.70%) whereas in the U.S. it's 63.48%. Portugal has 90.45% but, of course, it's impossible to make a comparison between a country with a population of 10 million and a country with a population of 330 million.

Having said that, you could argue that the overall vaccination uptake isn't really that bad in direct comparison with the most populous European countries. Germany, for example, a country with a population of 83 million has a an overall vaccination share of 75.04%. It is almost the exact same number in the U.S. which has 75.06%. The overall numbers for France with a population of 67 million are only marginally better than those in the U.S. It's 79.66%.

So when you actually look at the numbers I wouldn't say the vaccination uptake in the U.K. has been excellent, and the one in the U.S. has been the opposite. It seems to me the differences are quite small and, let's say the influence/impact of whatever Joe Rogan's podcast is doing is actually quite negligent.

Well, I'd say the vaccination uptake in the U.K. has been slightly better that in the U.S. The share of fully vaccinated people in the U.K. is 70.88% (the overall share is 76.70%) whereas in the U.S. it's 63.48%. Portugal has 90.45% but, of course, it's impossible to make a comparison between a country with a population of 10 million and a country with a population of 330 million.

Having said that, you could argue that the overall vaccination uptake isn't really that bad in direct comparison with the most populous European countries. Germany, for example, a country with a population of 83 million has a an overall vaccination share of 75.04%. It is almost the exact same number in the U.S. which has 75.06%. The overall numbers for France with a population of 67 million are only marginally better than those in the U.S. It's 79.66%.

So when you actually look at the numbers I wouldn't say the vaccination uptake in the U.K. has been excellent, and the one in the U.S. has been the opposite. It seems to me the differences are quite small and, let's say the influence/impact of whatever Joe Rogan's podcast is doing is actually quite negligent.
The US is a big place. What's the vaccination rate in Alabama, for example? In a country that size, if you have large areas with low uptakes it is as bad as a smaller country having an overall lower rate. It doesn't matter if New York has a 99% vaccination rate, they can't share beds or patients with Alabama even if the statistics do get bundled together. So you do need to address why those regions have low vaccine uptake and Joe Rogan will definitely be one of the reasons.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
The US is a big place. What's the vaccination rate in Alabama, for example? In a country that size, if you have large areas with low uptakes it is as bad as a smaller country having an overall lower rate. It doesn't matter if New York has a 99% vaccination rate, they can't share beds or patients with Alabama even if the statistics do get bundled together. So you do need to address why those regions have low vaccine uptake and Joe Rogan will definitely be one of the reasons.
Alabama is an interesting case. Apparently only 49.4% of all age groups of the state's population have been fully vaccinated. 61.2%, however, have had at least one dose. According to a study in the U.K. up to 96.79% of people have developed antibodies after the first vaccine. So maybe we could consider the 61.2% of partially vaccinated Alabama citizens as quite safe against the virus. I haven't yet looked into the most recent infection and death rates but it would be interesting to find out whether this is one of the reasons the partially vaccinated are deciding not to go for the second dose.

Furthermore, Alabama has one of the least vaccinated children aged 5-11. I'm not sure where I stand on vaccination of children, to be honest, as that is not something that's pushed in the U.K. Vaccination for children aged 5-11 is recommended only to those children who are in a clinical risk group or who live with someone who is in immunosuppressed. I've not yet looked into the possibility that the reason Alabama's low vaccination rate is influenced by the fact that it has the smallest share of vaccinated 5-11 year olds, and that the reason for this is that not every single 5-11 year old should be required or expected to be vaccinated in the first place. So how does this whole thing influence the numbers.

Furthermore, it seems that in the last election 89% of Black voters votes for Biden and only 11% for Trump. Regarding white voters, the majority voted for Trump (74%), and only 23% for Biden. Does this play a role in the attitude toward the vaccination program? The data suggests that the vast majority of partially and fully vaccinated people are White - but they're majority Republican. Wouldn't you expect that this racial group would be more influenced by Fox News and Joe Rogan and that their vaccination numbers would be lower than those of the Democrat voting population?

I don't know. I'm trying to research some more numbers as it seems a bit complex. You said that Joe Rogan is definitely one of the reasons. It would be interesting to examine your claim empirically and, if possible, quantify to the best of our abilities what percentage of people have actually been influenced by Rogan's podcast in their decision to refuse to be vaccinated.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Please read this post again.

Alabama is an interesting case. Apparently only 49.4% of all age groups of the state's population have been fully vaccinated. 61.2%, however, have had at least one dose. According to a study in the U.K. up to 96.79% of people have developed antibodies after the first vaccine. So maybe we could consider the 61.2% of partially vaccinated Alabama citizens as quite safe against the virus. I haven't yet looked into the most recent infection and death rates but it would be interesting to find out whether this is one of the reasons the partially vaccinated are deciding not to go for the second dose.

Furthermore, Alabama has one of the least vaccinated children aged 5-11. I'm not sure where I stand on vaccination of children, to be honest, as that is not something that's pushed in the U.K. Vaccination for children aged 5-11 is recommended only to those children who are in a clinical risk group or who live with someone who is in immunosuppressed. I've not yet looked into the possibility that the reason Alabama's low vaccination rate is influenced by the fact that it has the smallest share of vaccinated 5-11 year olds, and that the reason for this is that not every single 5-11 year old should be required or expected to be vaccinated in the first place. So how does this whole thing influence the numbers.

Furthermore, it seems that in the last election 89% of Black voters votes for Biden and only 11% for Trump. Regarding white voters, the majority voted for Trump (74%), and only 23% for Biden. Does this play a role in the attitude toward the vaccination program? The data suggests that the vast majority of partially and fully vaccinated people are White - but they're majority Republican. Wouldn't you expect that this racial group would be more influenced by Fox News and Joe Rogan and that their vaccination numbers would be lower than those of the Democrat voting population?

I don't know. I'm trying to research some more numbers as it seems a bit complex. You said that Joe Rogan is definitely one of the reasons. It would be interesting to examine your claim empirically and, if possible, quantify to the best of our abilities what percentage of people have actually been influenced by Rogan's podcast in their decision to refuse to be vaccinated.
Alabama is just an example as it's one of the more stereotypically redneck states. I'm sure there will be others that are lower still.

Short of going out and doing surveys you will never prove beyond doubt Rogan's influence. I think we all know he has an army of followers in states that also happen to have low vaccination rates, and that's enough for most to make an educated assumptions.

You could look at Texas as that's his adopted homeland and the state that seems most enamoured with him. What story does their vaccination rate tell?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Please read this post again.
I definitely will. I need to look into the methodology first before I try understand the projected potential Covid hospitalizations. I do have an issue with those classic 'Denmark comparisons' as some have also suggested the NHS adopts the Danish model. It's a small country with 5.8 million citizens and a different health care system, so comparisons regarding any aspects of primary and/or acute care, hospitalizations, hospital discharge and continuing health care, the interplay with CCGs and local authorities, the funding, the way we deal with commissioning and provider systems, and tons of other stuff.... it's really, really complex and I instinctively hesitate reading about 'if we were Denmark then we'd be way better of in this and that regard'.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I definitely will. I need to look into the methodology first before I try understand the projected potential Covid hospitalizations. I do have an issue with those classic 'Denmark comparisons' as some have also suggested the NHS adopts the Danish model. It's a small country with 5.8 million citizens and a different health care system, so comparisons regarding any aspects of primary and/or acute care, hospitalizations, hospital discharge and continuing health care, the interplay with CCGs and local authorities, the funding, the way we deal with commissioning and provider systems, and tons of other stuff.... it's really, really complex and I instinctively hesitate reading about 'if we were Denmark then we'd be way better of in this and that regard'.
You can over-think all these data IMO. There’s not many clear conclusions to be drawn but something which really leaps out is that countries with the best outcomes in the last two waves are the countries that got the highest vaccination uptake. With booster uptake particularly important for omicron (as it’s the most recent). There really isn’t any doubt about this by now. Vaxxes vs un-vaxxed ICU occupation data really just reinforces the point.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
If you want to compare the job that vaccines are doing, looking at population headline numbers doesn't help. In particular it masks the fact that the UK have consciously chosen not to vaccinate 5-11s (except those in clinical risk groups) and until recently were operating a single dose only policy for 12-17s. If you look at 12+ only the UK have given first dose to 91%, two doses to 84% and boosters to 65%.

Crucially to understand the biggest impact on hospitalisations you need to look at vaccine takeup in the adult population, particularly the over 40s. For fatalities, you need to look at the takeup rates in the oldest groups. Broadly the difference between 80% takeup in your over 70s and 95% takeup matters - in fact it's better to look at it by looking at the unvaxxed stat, 5% unvaxxed v 20% means you've got 4x as many highly vulnerable people.

It's possible to use age profiled vaccine takeup rates to look at how vulnerable countries are. By that criteria the US suffers, in fact if you look at individual states of the US the odds in certain states are even worse.

A recent look at the vulnerability basics for a few countries:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
While I've got my graphics head on, an interesting site that compares various EU countries to look at the "vulnerable but unvaxxed" proportions left by the vaccine campaigns.
https://fdebarre.shinyapps.io/ecdc-vaccination/

The UK (of course) is not in that comparison app, but he does offer this, just to give a sense of how we fit in to the story by using a comparison with France:

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
While I've got my graphics head on, an interesting site that compares various EU countries to look at the "vulnerable but unvaxxed" proportions left by the vaccine campaigns.
https://fdebarre.shinyapps.io/ecdc-vaccination/

The UK (of course) is not in that comparison app, but he does offer this, just to give a sense of how we fit in to the story by using a comparison with France:
Good stuff, I’ll have a look.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You can over-think all these data IMO. There’s not many clear conclusions to be drawn but something which really leaps out is that countries with the best outcomes in the last two waves are the countries that got the highest vaccination uptake. With booster uptake particularly important for omicron (as it’s the most recent). There really isn’t any doubt about this by now. Vaxxes vs un-vaxxed ICU occupation data really just reinforces the point.
Here in Australia 95% of adults have had 2 shots or more. The 5% unvaccinated account for 50% of ICU beds with much of the remaining 50% being very old people or people with other serious health issues. The triple vaxxed account for zero or close to zero admissions to ICU.

Here in NSW we have had over a million confirmed cases of covid in less than 2 months (likely far more) and the hospitals were stretched but didn't collapse. This wave is now subsiding. So the importance of vaccination is surely well past debate.

Overall we have 78.5% of all people vaccinated which is just over 83.5% of over 5's vaccinated and nearly 95% of over 16's. The over fives have only just stated getting their shots so they will start influencing numbers soon as they get their second shot.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Latest figures show double vaxxed 15 times less likely to be admitted to ICU than unvaxxed. Triple vaxxed only ever seem to be admitted when very old and even then very rare indeed.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Interesting research from SA on what happens to your immunity and antibody responses following Omicron. It comes with the usual provisos about small scale study and how much weight we should attach to lab test antibody counts, but still, a reminder of why it helps to be vaxxed.

The vaxxed in the study had either had one dose of J&J, or two doses of Pfizer

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Interesting. This could mean the end of the search for an omicron specific vaccine.
Wasn't this study based on only 8 animal tests and hasn't been peer reviewed yet?

If confirmed with larger study it could mean that it is the manner of transmission that is the biggest issue or further research is needed. Or both.