The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think an even bigger problem will be scams offering vaccines and possibly even worse fake vaccines.
I wrote a post last week stating I’ve already seen ‘Vaccine Vacations to USA’ being advertised in several countries!

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The CDC's statement that "approximately 50% of transmission [came] from asymptomatic persons" yesterday is a little shocking to me. Will lead to a lot of tough questions midway through next year, when a good chunk of society will presumably be protected from symptoms but not protected from transmitting the virus. Can imagine society will be very divided on how "normal" life should be at that point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The CDC's statement that "approximately 50% of transmission [came] from asymptomatic persons" yesterday is a little shocking to me. Will lead to a lot of tough questions midway through next year, when a good chunk of society will presumably be protected from symptoms but not protected from transmitting the virus. Can imagine society will be very divided on how "normal" life should be at that point.
Here’s the piece of research they use as a reference for that asymptomatic transmission line. Turns out the 50% headline % is a combination of presymptomatic and asymptomatic transmission. Which actually cause 47% and 7% respectively. Anyone in the trials who passed the virus on while presymptomatic would have eventually got symptoms and shown up in the efficacy data. If more than 9 out of 10 people who get infected without symptoms don’t pass the virus on then that’s actually kind of reassuring.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Here’s the piece of research they use as a reference for that asymptomatic transmission line. Turns out the 50% headline % is a combination of presymptomatic and asymptomatic transmission. Which actually cause 47% and 7% respectively. Anyone in the trials who passed the virus on while presymptomatic would have eventually got symptoms and shown up in the efficacy data. If more than 9 out of 10 people who get infected without symptoms don’t pass the virus on then that’s actually kind of reassuring.
Ahh, that explains it! Definitely reassuring in that case.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Given some of the hesitation by some to take the new vaccines, these pioneering people are heroic!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Given some of the hesitation by some to take the new vaccines, these pioneering people are heroic!

The beginning of the end of covid19!
British citizen Margaret Keenan, aged 90, first person in the world to receive approved vaccines.
8 billion people to go!

Smores

The beginning of the end of covid19!
British citizen Margaret Keenan, aged 90, first person in the world to receive approved vaccines.
8 billion people to go!

Think China has already vaccinated millions haven't they?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Matt Hancock getting 'emotional' (with added jingoism), if that's what it was, at the amazingly named William Shakespeare being the second person to get the jab, was odd.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I feel like giving a 90 year old woman the first jab is such a bad idea. At that age there’s a good chance that on any day of the week, no matter how good her health is, she could have less than a month left to live.

If she dies in the next few months, it’s going to be red meat for the anti-vaxx parade :lol:

lynchie

Data from Pfizer shows that protection seems to start within a couple of weeks from jab 1. Still need jab 2 for long-term protection, but that's good news for getting things under control sooner.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Matt Hancock getting 'emotional' (with added jingoism), if that's what it was, at the amazingly named William Shakespeare being the second person to get the jab, was odd.

They can't even feign emotion believably :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Moderna update on duration of response from Phase I subjects. 119 days and counting. Admittedly, persistence of antibodies doesn’t necessarily mean persistence of immunity but great news all the same.
i was waikting for this - any of it to be frank. so far the press releases have talked about the downstream effect (contracting covid), i wanted to see if they were also looking at mechanism. this is good.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
i was waikting for this - any of it to be frank. so far the press releases have talked about the downstream effect (contracting covid), i wanted to see if they were also looking at mechanism. this is good.
That’s the difference between Phase I/II and Phase III studies. In the earlier phase studies you can look at biomarkers or proxy measures (e.g. antibody production) but Phase III trials need to look at hard clinical outcomes (disease vs no disease) The study in that tweet is long term follow up of a Phase I cohort.

Mind you, it’s not uncommon for Phase III trials to also look at biomarkers as secondary or tertiary endpoints. You probably won’t get to see those until the publication.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Even by that logic she's not the first in the world since Russia have been vaccinating people too with an approved vaccine.
Any news on adverse reactions when being injected with SpunkIt? Surely stories would have leaked by now?

zing

Zingle balls
"Three cases of transverse myelitis were initially reported as suspected unexpected serious adverse reactions, with two in the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine study arm, triggering a study pause for careful review in each case. Independent clinical review of these cases has indicated that one in the experimental group and one in the control group are unlikely to be related to study interventions, but a relationship remained possible in the third case. "

from the oxford vaccine paper today.. isn’t this alarming?

Wolverine

"Three cases of transverse myelitis were initially reported as suspected unexpected serious adverse reactions, with two in the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine study arm, triggering a study pause for careful review in each case. Independent clinical review of these cases has indicated that one in the experimental group and one in the control group are unlikely to be related to study interventions, but a relationship remained possible in the third case. "

I'm not so sure its that alarming. Transverse myelitis is pretty complex disease in terms of aetiology. Vaccinations, viral infections have been suspected but 60% are idiopathic. But there might be a possibility of increase risk, we've seen vaccines increase

Here is the full paper for anyone concerned
https://marlin-prod.literatumonline.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620326611.pdf

A case of transverse myelitis was reported 14 days after ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 booster vaccination as being possibly related to vaccination, with the independent neurological committee considering the most likely diagnosis to be of an idiopathic, short segment, spinal cord demyelination.

There were two additional cases of transverse myelitis that were originally reported as potentially related but later determined to be unlikely to be related to vaccination by an independent committee of neurological experts. One case that occurred 10 days after a first vaccination with ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 was initially assessed as possibly related, but later considered unlikely to be related by the site investigator when further investigation revealed preexisting, but previously unrecognised, multiple sclerosis. The second case was reported 68 days after MenACWY vaccination. While considered possibly related by the site investigator at the time of reporting, an independent panel of neurological experts considered this to be unlikely. All trial participants have recovered, or are in a stable or improving condition
There's been plenty of suspected neurological issues related to vaccines that after longer term data were considered unlikely (hep B with multiple sclerosis, GBS with meningococcal vaccine, H1N1 influenza vaccine with narcolepsy, anthrax vaccine with squalene adjuvant for Gulf War Syndrome) but famously I believe the 1976 vaccine swine flu vaccine was found to have had increased risk of GBS so its not impossible either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm not so sure its that alarming. Transverse myelitis is pretty complex disease in terms of aetiology. Vaccinations, viral infections have been suspected but 60% are idiopathic. But there might be a possibility of increase risk, we've seen vaccines increase

Here is the full paper for anyone concerned
https://marlin-prod.literatumonline.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620326611.pdf

There's been plenty of suspected neurological issues related to vaccines that after longer term data were considered unlikely (hep B with multiple sclerosis, GBS with meningococcal vaccine, H1N1 influenza vaccine with narcolepsy, anthrax vaccine with squalene adjuvant for Gulf War Syndrome) but famously I believe the 1976 vaccine swine flu vaccine was found to have had increased risk of GBS so its not impossible either.
Thanks for link to paper. A few weaknesses immediately obvious (in addition to previously discussed stuff around “serendipitous dosing” and combining data from different trials, with different methodologies)

The timing of the booster dose was highly variable because they only decided to add a booster after the trial was underway and couldn’t manufacture it fast enough to give it a standard time after first dose. So they were getting the second dose anything from 4 weeks up to 12 weeks later.

That’s just one of a whole bunch of protocol amendments with the study already underway. Which is not ideal.

They get brownie points for at least checking for asymptomatic spread (unlike Pfizer/Moderna) but, unfortunately, didn’t seem to stop it.

That’s on a quick scan. Be interested to hear your thoughts (or any other medics) I think this was the first trial to get started and it shows. I suspect there will be a lot of back and forth with the regulators before this gets approved.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

I think so, but no doubt usual suspects will disagree,

Would very much like to know what the side effects are of these vaccines.

Not going to lie, I'm quite glad we probably won't be getting much of the Oxford vaccine here.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There's something vaguely unsatisfying about that Oxford/Astra Zeneca report. I know some of it is inevitable in that it includes various protocol changes and rationalisations about how to combine/present data. It's also frustrating not to have a little more detail on the neurological incidents - I understand that I'm probably being unrealistic about that, but still - the reasons for discarding them may be clear to the neurologists, but I still feel the public defence in the report needed to be stronger, if only because of the bad PR.

I can't help but think the report, and maybe even chunks of the actual research/trial will need more work before approval in the US. I assume they're currently assembling/presenting more data and answering questions from the MHRA as well. It's unfortunate though, a lot of countries are banking on the Astra Zeneca vaccine for high volume in Q1 - and I do wonder if we're looking (at least) at a significant delay.