The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I see. How do you feel about the info published? Would you feel comfortable taking the oxford jab?
I'd have it without a second thought as I would with any of them. The mRNA ones are more effective so I'd opt for them if I had a choice be I doubt many of us will be able to pick and choose.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Is there any set (or rough provisional) date as to when mainland Europe are starting to vaccinate?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Which countries other than India?
I think that apart from the USA & some small European countries the majority of the world will depend on something like the Oxford vaccine. It's going to be a struggle for any big developing country to get their population vaccinated by Pfizer or Moderna

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's something vaguely unsatisfying about that Oxford/Astra Zeneca report. I know some of it is inevitable in that it includes various protocol changes and rationalisations about how to combine/present data. It's also frustrating not to have a little more detail on the neurological incidents - I understand that I'm probably being unrealistic about that, but still - the reasons for discarding them may be clear to the neurologists, but I still feel the public defence in the report needed to be stronger, if only because of the bad PR.

I can't help but think the report, and maybe even chunks of the actual research/trial will need more work before approval in the US. I assume they're currently assembling/presenting more data and answering questions from the MHRA as well. It's unfortunate though, a lot of countries are banking on the Astra Zeneca vaccine for high volume in Q1 - and I do wonder if we're looking (at least) at a significant delay.
Based on a quick skim of the publication I’ll go out on a limb and say there’s not a hope in hell of that vaccine getting approved without more data. I don’t even know if they’ve got enough data to establish the optimal treatment regimen (either dose or timing).

I can see that paper turning up in “how not to do it” lectures on critical appraisal for future generations of med students!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Based on a quick skim of the publication I’ll go out on a limb and say there’s not a hope in hell of that vaccine getting approved without more data. I don’t even know if they’ve got enough data to establish the optimal treatment regimen (either dose or timing).

I can see that paper turning up in “how not to do it” lectures on critical appraisal for future generations of med students!
The regime may be the main problem as the effectiveness is well.above minimal levels in either case.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The regime may be the main problem as the effectiveness is well.above minimal levels in either case.
I wouldn’t say “well above”. The Confidence Intervals are wide and include a fairly marginal % of effectiveness. It’s a pity but you can really see how rushed this all was. If they had more time to really nail the optimal treatment regimen I suspect the results would look quite impressive. As it stands, they could end up paying a hefty price for (understandably) cutting corners. I’d say there’s a good chance they’ll either need a whole new Phase III or several months more data (and additional subjects recruited) before they’ll get a license. Which is fine really. That would be a good example of regulators doing their job.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

There's something vaguely unfocused about the paper, which inevitably leaves the doubt that there was something similarly unfocused about the trial structure and maybe even its reporting. I'd have happily read the Brazil data presented in one section, then the UK trial (full dose/full dose - 3/4 weeks apart) presented separately. Then a nice straightforward argument bringing those two sets of comparable looking data together (despite changes in placebo use etc). Then bump the quirks, the odd dosing regime and the dose timing changes etc into a "further investigation" section of the report.

They still have some decent efficacy numbers there - albeit not great for the headline news. I know they must be feeling the time pressures. I'm sure they feel like they have enough data. But honestly, it felt like reporting clarity had suffered, because they already agreed with themselves.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I wouldn’t say “well above”. The Confidence Intervals are wide and include a fairly marginal % of effectiveness. It’s a pity but you can really see how rushed this all was. If they had more time to really nail the optimal treatment regimen I suspect the results would look quite impressive. As it stands, they could end up paying a hefty price for (understandably) cutting corners. I’d say there’s a good chance they’ll either need a whole new Phase III or several months more data (and additional subjects recruited) before they’ll get a license. Which is fine really. That would be a good example of regulators doing their job.
I could well be wrong but as it has been shown to be safe and to exceed minimum effectiveness standards I think we might well see it approved.

I still find the large difference of effectiveness between the two regimes odd and I 'd love to know why even if safety is already more than satisfyingly assessed.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
A couple of incidents on Pfizer day 1 - triggering allergic reactions in NHS workers. Before you read the headline on twitter though, it's worth noting:

"They are understood to have had an anaphylactoid reaction - much milder than anaphylaxis - which tends to involve a skin rash, breathlessness and sometimes a drop in blood pressure.

Both NHS workers have a history of serious allergies and carry adrenalin pens around with them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55244122

Is there any set (or rough provisional) date as to when mainland Europe are starting to vaccinate?
It's planned for the beginning of January, the 3rd or 4th, approval is expected on December 29th. The stockpiles are being built up now.

The EU is now also saying the UK rushed it. Rasi's comments on the emergency approval, translated to English:

It has a very low risk, but it is a risk that should never be taken. Among other things, they did the evaluation only on one lot, so they will have to do the same job again for the following lots. It is not a good idea to take the data that the industry gives you, put the stamp on and distribute it, even if there are all the conditions for it to be good and confirmed. That aspect of guarantee is missing. If there is only one thing that has been missed, that is not right, and it is very likely that two or three hundred EMA experts will find it or give more precise indications. For example, they might say who should and shouldn't use it. These things are of great importance in the long term, twenty days do not change anything if they then allow the campaign to be carried out effectively, continuously and quickly.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
I could well be wrong but as it has been shown to be safe and to exceed minimum effectiveness standards I think we might well see it approved.

I still find the large difference of effectiveness between the two regimes odd and I 'd love to know why even if safety is already more than satisfyingly assessed.
What regimen would you approve it under? The two full dose regimen seems to have been administered at varying intervals based on manufacturing availability, and I don't believe there's sufficient data for, say, "two full doses 28 days apart" to conclude efficacy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
A couple of incidents on Pfizer day 1 - triggering allergic reactions in NHS workers. Before you read the headline on twitter though, it's worth noting:

"They are understood to have had an anaphylactoid reaction - much milder than anaphylaxis - which tends to involve a skin rash, breathlessness and sometimes a drop in blood pressure.

Both NHS workers have a history of serious allergies and carry adrenalin pens around with them."

No surprise at all. That’s the exact reason you’re asked to hang round for 15 minutes after a flu jab, as discussed earlier in the thread.

tombombadil

Will this have any impact on the vaccine roll out and it's safety profile? Is it due to being rushed?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

It's very unfortunate because this will definitely put some people off, even if they aren't people who carry Epipens - that will be ignored and people will just interpret it as "it's dangerous".

Quite honestly, I can't really understand why those nurses put themselves forward so early on - if you're in any kind of "could have a problem" group, you need to wait until one of the other alternatives become available.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's very unfortunate because this will definitely put some people off, even if they aren't people who carry Epipens - that will be ignored and people will just interpret it as "it's dangerous".

Quite honestly, I can't really understand why those nurses put themselves forward so early on - if you're in any kind of "could have a problem" group, you need to wait until one of the other alternatives become available.
I don’t imagine any of the other vaccines will be any less likely to cause a similar reaction. Or any other vaccinations, period. The flu vaccine is well known to cause reactions like this in people prone to allergies. To be fair to the nurses, if they’re used to getting what sounds like a relatively mild atopic reaction then they may have thought it was worth the risk of another one to get vaccinated against a potentially lethal virus.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I don’t imagine any of the other vaccines will be any less likely to cause a similar reaction. Or any other vaccinations, period. The flu vaccine is well known to cause reactions like this in people prone to allergies. To be fair to the nurses, if they’re used to getting what sounds like a relatively mild atopic reaction then they may have thought it was worth the risk of another one to get vaccinated against a potentially lethal virus.
I was thinking more of the one that's being developed which actually gives you the antibodies, rather than provoking an immune system response. I'll have to wait for that, as I had a very severe reaction to Hep A and Typhim which caused spinal cord demyelination/plaque formation and 6 weeks off work.

I do take your point about the nurses risk-assessing their individual situation, as they're frontline hospital staff. It just isn't good that this happened so early on in the roll-out, when many people will have (unfounded) reservations.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Roll out programmes have begun in my hospital. First people in line to receive it? IT staff.

Classic NHS organisation.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is it due to being rushed?
No. The people who had reaction already had allergy issues for which they carried epipens so had elevated risk of other allergic reactions.

It is also really important to note they has an anaphylactoid reaction but did not have anaphalaxis which is when your epipen is needed and were fine soon after.

I'm in that risk group as I'm highly allergic to paper wasps and am meant to carry an epipen (but usually forget) and I'd still take the shot without a second thought.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was thinking more of the one that's being developed which actually gives you the antibodies, rather than provoking an immune system response. I'll have to wait for that, as I had a very severe reaction to Hep A and Typhim which caused spinal cord demyelination/plaque formation and 6 weeks off work.

I do take your point about the nurses risk-assessing their individual situation, as they're frontline hospital staff. It just isn't good that this happened so early on in the roll-out, when many people will have (unfounded) reservations.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/revcyc...g-codes-for-regenerons-covid-19-antibody-drug

And we should have a new slogan.

Get vaccinated or you might kill Penna you selfish bastards

I should be in marketing ;)

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I've found a boot to the motherboard tends to resolve the issue with my NHS computer. Either that or shovel more coal into the back of it.
Don't be silly. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

F-Red

A lot of mountains being made out of mole hills with this allergic reaction news, it's pretty much a given with all kinds of medication that some people might have a reaction. It's why all Doctors ask if you're allergic to penicillin before giving antibiotics.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No. The people who had reaction already had allergy issues for which they carried epipens so had elevated risk of other allergic reactions.

It is also really important to note they has an anaphylactoid reaction but did not gave anaphalaxis which is when your epipen is needed and were fine soon after.

I'm in that risk group as I'm highly allergic to paper wasps and am meant to carry an epipen (but usually forget) and I'd still take the shot without a second thought.
That sounds unpleasant. How are you with real wasps?