The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Novavax (if approved) is expected to be available in the UK in Q3, with 60m doses for delivery before the end of 2021. I've not seen a timeline for the US, though I read they're looking at a ramp up in Q2.

I don't know what the timeline will be if they decide they want the vaccine updated to add more protection against the SA variant. The mod to the vaccine itself is apparently quick to make.

Formulating it as a cocktail, with old style and new mutation style spikes and testing it for safety might take longer I guess. I can't see them being able to test efficacy quickly - other than as a lab test, blood antibody thing. Is that how they manage changes to the flu vaccine?

Plus whatever time it takes to test/ramp up volume production. That sounds like Q4 at earliest or 2022 for a modified version to me. Meanwhile I guess a lot of attention will be on how it performs in terms of stopping serious illness. Another, larger trial in SA as well perhaps, to get a higher volume of data. The SA trial numbers currently have big +/- error bars on the efficacy figures.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Wasn`t there a table in here posted by someone showing how many doses EU and UK had ordered from which manufacturer (and in which quarter to be expected)? Can`t find a good overview online but I remember seeing something like that in here.

F-Red

Wasn`t there a table in here posted by someone showing how many doses EU and UK had ordered from which manufacturer (and in which quarter to be expected)? Can`t find a good overview online but I remember seeing something like that in here.
This one?

I can't see what the EU has ordered, but the UK has ordered 30 million, so is hardly left out. Hopefully everyone will get theirs on schedule, if approved of course.

VaccineProgressDoses orderedApprovalDeployment
Pfizer–BioNTechphase III clinical trials40 million2 December 20208 December 2020
Oxford–AstraZenecaphase III clinical trials100 million30 December 2020[12]4 January 2021[13]
Modernaphase III clinical trials17 million[10]8 January 2021[10]Pending
Novavaxphase III clinical trials60 millionPendingPending
Valnevaphase I/II clinical trials60 millionPendingPending
GSK/Sanofi Pasteurphase I/II clinical trials60 millionPendingPending
Janssenphase III clinical trials30 millionPendingPending

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_vaccination_programme_in_the_United_Kingdom#Vaccines_on_order

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
J&J results are in:
66% efficacy (72% in the US part of the US part of the trial).

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Am I imagining things, or were there rumours going around last week that the J&J vaccine was hitting 90+% efficacy?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
J&J results are in:
66% efficacy (72% in the US part of the US part of the trial).
J&J (single dose, fridge storage) is a great option at 66% efficacy. I know they're running a twin dose trial as well, so that could be important.

As usual it's going to be the detailed data that matters. I'm particularly interested in why they got better numbers from the US trial. If that means it's strong against the original virus, but significantly weaker against the mutations, it'll be important.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Am I imagining things, or were there rumours going around last week that the J&J vaccine was hitting 90+% efficacy?
No, you're not imagining it but the rumours were obviously wrong.

Traub

J&J (single dose, fridge storage) is a great option at 66% efficacy. I know they're running a twin dose trial as well, so that could be important.

As usual it's going to be the detailed data that matters. I'm particularly interested in why they got better numbers from the US trial. If that means it's strong against the original virus, but significantly weaker against the mutations, it'll be important.
I'm not sure when the trial was conducted, but this is concerning:
"The level of protection against moderate and severe COVID-19 infection was 72% in the US, 66% in Latin America and 57% in South Africa, 28 days post-vaccination."
57% in SA may point to the variant. I'm hoping this was extremely effective for younger ages, so we can target older ages and vulnerable on the better vaccines, and the general population on this one.

Source:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/29/health/johnson-coronavirus-vaccine-results/index.html

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Found a few more details:
Geographically, the level of protection for the combined endpoints of moderate and severe disease varied: 72% in the United States; 66% in Latin American countries; and 57% in South Africa, 28 days post-vaccination. The investigational vaccine was reportedly 85% effective in preventing severe/critical COVID-19 across all geographical regions. No deaths related to COVID-19 were reported in the vaccine group, while 5 deaths in the placebo group were related to COVID-19. Overall, there were 16 deaths in the placebo group, and 3 deaths in the vaccine group.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...eleased?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That's not bad at all when it comes to preventing serious illness.

Smores

Given it's much easier to transport and store it still seems likely it'll be the one used for a mass roll out?

Balljy

Given it's much easier to transport and store it still seems likely it'll be the one used for a mass roll out?
That and the Oxford one, yeah. I'm not sure of the price of the J&J vaccine though.

tombombadil

Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Covid-19 Vaccine Shot Provides Strong Shield in Trial - Bloomberg

" In the more than 44,000-person study, the vaccine prevented 66% of moderate to severe cases of Covid-19, according to a company statement on Friday. And it was particularly effective at stopping severe disease, preventing 85% of severe infections and 100% of hospitalizations and deaths. "
Found a few more details:
Geographically, the level of protection for the combined endpoints of moderate and severe disease varied: 72% in the United States; 66% in Latin American countries; and 57% in South Africa, 28 days post-vaccination. The investigational vaccine was reportedly 85% effective in preventing severe/critical COVID-19 across all geographical regions. No deaths related to COVID-19 were reported in the vaccine group, while 5 deaths in the placebo group were related to COVID-19. Overall, there were 16 deaths in the placebo group, and 3 deaths in the vaccine group.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...eleased?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That's not bad at all when it comes to preventing serious illness.
You are right. In hind sight, after rereading, for an apples to apples comparison, considering it is a single shot, preventing severe illness at 85% compared to Pfizer's 95% is very good. Although it is lower compared to Pfizer's 90% rate at preventing any illness vs 66%. Which is still better than a flu vaccine. I guess we mustn't be too pampered and also must take into account that this is single shot. I'd probably take this vs AZN's shot if I could only take a single shot.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Actually I've just noticed that J&J are quoting efficacy at preventing moderate/severe cases. Novavax quoted efficacy against mild/moderate/severe cases. That's confusing.
The primary endpoint of the vaccines licensed thus far has always been any symptomatic case. If J&J are only quoting efficacy at preventing moderate/severe cases that would imply the ‘true’ figure is even worse than 66%.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You are right. In hind sight, after rereading, for an apples to apples comparison, considering it is a single shot, preventing severe illness at 85% compared to Pfizer's 95% is very good. Although it is lower compared to Pfizer's 90% rate at preventing any illness vs 66%. Which is still better than a flu vaccine. I guess we mustn't be too pampered and also must take into account that this is single shot. I'd probably take this vs AZN's shot if I could only take a single shot.
66% is preventing mod/severe disease. We don’t have a figure for any illness from J&J. Which makes me worry it’s a lot lower.

massi83

The primary endpoint of the vaccines licensed thus far has always been any symptomatic case. If J&J are only quoting efficacy at preventing moderate/severe cases that would imply the ‘true’ figure is even worse than 66%.
Personally I pretty much only care how it prevents hospitalisations (or worse). Obviously it is better if it prevents milder cases also, but don't see it as that important.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Personally I pretty much only care how it prevents hospitalisations (or worse). Obviously it is better if it prevents milder cases also, but don't see it as that important.
Yeah, it’s not really that important. Less important anyway. Looks like they never had any expectation for it to be sterilising anyway, based on the endpoints they’re looking at.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It might not mean that though, it depends on the ratios of mild/moderate/severe across the vaccinated/placebo. I guess a reminder that press releases are only ever part of the story. It does make comparisons more complicated though. I think the stat everyone cares about are really the severe/critical cases so it's not necessarily a big deal.

I do think the mutation issue is a bigger deal. In particular I think the news from the Novavax SA trial, that prior covid infection doesn't protect against the new SA variant is important. Though again we'll need more numbers to know if prior infection reduced the severity of illness. I suspect it does mean that the inactivated virus type vaccines for example could find their efficacy taking a very fast tumble.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Here’s how they defined moderate/severe illness.

In the study, the definition of severe COVID-19 disease included laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 and one or more of the following: signs consistent with severe systemic illness, admission to an intensive care unit, respiratory failure, shock, organ failure or death, among other factors. Moderate COVID-19 disease was defined as laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 and one or more of the following: evidence of pneumonia, deep vein thrombosis, shortness of breath or abnormal blood oxygen saturation above 93%, abnormal respiratory rate (≥20); or two or more systemic symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Have to say, I did not expect the EU to be the first country/block in the world to go full nationalist and implement vaccine export controls. Poor show.

“The protections and safety of our citizens is a priority and the challenges we now face left us with no choice but to act,” EU Trade Commissioner Valdis Dombrovskis told reporters on Friday in Brussels. “This is a race against the clock -- we cannot lose time because of vaccines not being delivered on schedule.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...g-global-battle-for-doses?srnd=premium-europe

Let the vaccine war commence, I guess?

Wolverine

So fair to say the Johnson and Johnson jab isn’t what we were hoping for? Especially after somebody posted rumours of 100%
As mentioned, not a single hospitalised case or death in vaccine arm is good news. That too with a single jab. In real terms that is very significant. Plus there is data from its two-dose trial still to come.

I think if the mRNA's are utilised now for the elderly and extremely vulnerable we could potentially use this for the younger population especially as logistically useful (as stored in a fridge) so will be useful for community pharmacies. Maybe two if dramatic benefit in relevant clinical endpoints.

Have to say, I did not expect the EU to be the first country/block in the world to go full nationalist and implement vaccine export controls. Poor show.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...g-global-battle-for-doses?srnd=premium-europe

Let the vaccine war commence, I guess?
Inevitable after the delays, they aren’t blocking anything, just require approval.
Makes me think they suspect vaccines are being provided first to highest bidders and they simply want to prevent that.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Pfizer response to EU export ban threat is that it might move production:

In response to the EU’s threat, Pfizer this week told a Senate hearing that it would consider shifting production of its vaccine to the United States in a bid to avoid any export ban.

“It’s obviously critical that governments don’t impose export restrictions or trade barriers,” Pfizer Australia and New Zealand medical director Krishan Thiru said.

“Should that happen we will explore what options are available. We have large scale of manufacturing across the US and Europe. No determination has been made at this point in time about switching the source of our manufacture of vaccinations.”
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...rope-over-certainty-of-covid-vaccine-supplies