The Vertonghen and Herrera incident.

macheda14

A violent conduct red is for using excessive force or brutality, I'm not sure that incident is clearly either of those. The Young one was in the penalty area at a dead ball, it's understandable why they went back to that but didn't to an incident down the other of the field which isn't exactly that egregious.
You can’t raise your hands to another player, he grabs him by the neck

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Didn't Zlatan do it to someone last season, and flung him a few yards too? It might have been the same game he was retroactively punished for that elbow, but I don't think they did anything about the grab/throw.

Zlatan also grabbed someone by the throat in the Europa League, with no further action.

Fernandinho is a perennial throat grabber, never gets done for it.

I doubt anything will come of it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs are one of the FA and Media darlings. So long as they have a core of British players people will turn a blind eye to incidents like this.
It's funny looking at it from our side, we really don't see ourselves as media darlings, quite the opposite. Wonderful thing perspective.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A violent conduct red is for using excessive force or brutality, I'm not sure that incident is clearly either of those. The Young one was in the penalty area at a dead ball, it's understandable why they went back to that but didn't to an incident down the other of the field which isn't exactly that egregious.
Lift your hands it’s a red

Lawman

Doesn't look THAT bad does it? Yellow card to be sure, but violent conduct? Get a grip.
Behave you lift your hands on a football pitch it’s violent conduct and he’s off.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We didn't get 1 replay of the incident. Even the commentators made a note of it that something had happened off the ball.

Compare that to the Ashley Young "elbow" and how many times that got replayed in the match, It's an absolute Joke.

I made a thread about TV companies using their power to dictate how things play out, and that's just another example. If he gets away with that :houllier:

The tackle itself could have been a yellow, he came through the back of herrera and took him out.

Pacificgi

I dont want to jump on the 'if that was a united player' bandwagon but it is frustrating that they didnt highlight this during the game.

Smores

If Fellaini had done that i wonder what the reaction of those saying its nothing would be...

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Behave you lift your hands on a football pitch it’s violent conduct and he’s off.
But the raising of hands happens several times every game from multiple players. It has to be something excessive for it to be a red, otherwise there'd be 10 players getting sent off every game.

SwSw

The ref was a puss that day. The moment the crowd got hostile and reacted to him giving us fouls, he chicken out on making the right calls.

RORY65

The "you can't raise your hands" is not a rule, that's a phrase pundits have used for years despite being completely meaningless. It's excessive force or brutality or striking someone on the head or in the face. Excessive force or brutality is a bit vague alright but I'm not sure that incident really is an example of either.

Well those three links prove beyond doubt that the media has a huge campaign against Pep? :rolleyes:
Did I say they have a campaign against Pep? You were the one claiming that they have a campaign against us and won't ever criticise Saint Pep, I found those articles with 1 google search and suddenly you shift the goalposts.

RORY65

No it's not. Are you complete forgetting how Drogba was sent off against us in the CL final? This is a clear red card offense.
That's because he struck him in the face (I'm not sure if the terms of violent conduct were also any different back then).
Law 12 on the FA's website.
VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not convinced any form of violent conduct can be used against Herrera without him rolling around on the floor making sure the ref knows about it.

Bit silly from Vertonghen considering that, but that's about it.

Zoo

Hmm we’ve seen Lukaku get emotional and react a bit stupidly. Vertonghen has here too but I don’t there’s enough to warrant a red card.

acnumber9

Indeed, they got away with too many fouls.
if we had scored like their first goal, they would be talking about how we play long balls, how we lump ball forward from the off and all.
I particularly enjoyed at half time how Frank Lampard said that he didn’t mind that Kane being in Utd’s half at kick off was against the rules. Well as long as Frank doesn’t mind that’s alright.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Didn't Zlatan do it to someone last season, and flung him a few yards too? It might have been the same game he was retroactively punished for that elbow, but I don't think they did anything about the grab/throw.

Zlatan also grabbed someone by the throat in the Europa League, with no further action.

Fernandinho is a perennial throat grabber, never gets done for it.

I doubt anything will come of it.
I think the bigger issue is that when Young elbowed Tadic, we were forced to view that incident about 5 times. Whereas, we saw no replays of Vertonghen grabbing Herrera by the neck. Lets also not forget about the attempted murder of Bellerin by Pogba.

My question is why the feck didn't BT show this incident, at all?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I particularly enjoyed at half time how Frank Lampard said that he didn’t mind that Kane being in Utd’s half at kick off was against the rules. Well as long as Frank doesn’t mind that’s alright.
Yeah, pretty much this. Why don't refs also allow players to be 1 yard offside. Once your two yards off, nah that's not allowed. Must be some leniency in the rules.

charlie9882

That’s a red if the Ref sees it.

It’s one for that thread about the media not giving a shit if it’s not a United player though.

If that was Pogba the media machine would have kicked into action and the FA would have made their statement by now with a charge and a ban incoming.
Pogba did his best WWE impression twice last season and got off scot-free on both occasions.

NK86

That's because he struck him in the face (I'm not sure if the terms of violent conduct were also any different back then).
VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.
Drobga barely brushed Vidic's nose with his finger. Pretty sure Vidic would use more force to scratch his own nose. Yet that was a clear Red with no one arguing otherwise.

Vertonghen basically grabbed Ander by his throat and you think that is fine/not violent conduct?

RORY65

Drobga barely brushed Vidic's nose with his finger. Pretty sure Vidic would use more force to scratch his own nose. Yet that was a clear Red with no one arguing otherwise.

Vertonghen basically grabbed Ander by his throat and you think that is fine/not violent conduct?
Is it brutality or excessive force? Not sure it is, as I say if the ref had seen it I think he probably would/should have booked Vertonghen and told him to stop being an eejit.

jrsenior

I tend to agree but the thing of it is, its not the same game anymore, or so they tell us while we get red carded for less than this. I remember Mark Noble picking up Herrera while the ref was laughing. Imagine Fellaini picking up an injured Aguero carrying him out the field, the ref would tell Aguero to headbutt him and give Fellaini a red card for violent conduct
It's just the narrative that every journo, ref and what not are conspiring against us for some unknown reason. I don't like it, it's rawkish looser mentality.

walkinhop

It's just the narrative that every journo, ref and what not are conspiring against us for some unknown reason. I don't like it, it's rawkish looser mentality.
One thing is sure, i'm not implying more, we are a huge brand and will attract more attention than your average club. This enhances the positives and the negatives. Just my 2c

serxyo

15 years ago if such conflict happened I'd laugh about thinking of any punishment. But since nothing developed out of it and Ander is not a crybaby just leave it. We won't get anything out of it, it's just Vertonghen ...

bludsucker

VIOLENT CONDUCT

So if the incident for which Troy “cojones” Deeney was deemed as violent conduct then the FA should do the same tmwith this too. And it matters not a jot if you think it’s not cause the FA thought it was and if they want to be consistent then they should deem this as one too.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
15 years ago if such conflict happened I'd laugh about thinking of any punishment. But since nothing developed out of it and Ander is not a crybaby just leave it. We won't get anything out of it, it's just Vertonghen ...
This and I'm not saying it cause it's Vertongen, it was off the ball, not malicious like a stamp, punch or headbut, just a bit of handbags. Shouldn't happen of course but we want players to show some passion and I doubt Herrera was passing a comment on how nice Verts' boots were.

Lawman

But the raising of hands happens several times every game from multiple players. It has to be something excessive for it to be a red, otherwise there'd be 10 players getting sent off every game.
There is a clear distinction in lifting hands to mark or grab a player of the ball to be fair

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That is definitely red card worthy, but not in the PL if you know what I mean. In the PL they let players a 'freeby' when it comes to physical confrontation.

All this does in highlight how cnutish this Spurs side are; they get away with so much stuff and they don't even win anything to justify it. So they are just cnuts for doing it.

Remember the Alli challenge on Sanchez where he got nowhere near the ball and clearly just went for Sanchez' leg and kicked him. Utter cnut move, that he probably did because he's a former Arsenal player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
In the past, what Alli did was a straight red no questions asked. Remember Rooney vs West ham in 2014?
/watch?v=2tkwTu7J6jc

Ironically it wasn't because of the cynical nature of stopping an attack, but because aimlessly kicking another person without going for the ball was considered violent conduct. I vaguely remember they gave out that as an explanation at the time

RORY65

So if the incident for which Troy “cojones” Deeney was deemed as violent conduct then the FA should do the same tmwith this too. And it matters not a jot if you think it’s not cause the FA thought it was and if they want to be consistent then they should deem this as one too.
You can't seriously be claiming they're equivalent incidents? Deeney was booked at the time for the grabbing Allen round the neck and pushing another player over, he was banned because the referee hadn't seen that he was gouging Allen's face with his thumbs which was the red card offence.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

How the feck nobody of Herrera's teammates didn't go for Vertonghen? Where is the team spirit, the fight in this lot? They are all hermanos on Instagram but when an opposition player grabs one of our own by the neck there's nobody to stand up for him.
Oh come off it, they probably didn’t even see it or better yet they were focused on playing football. If it ended up in a brawl i think Smalling, Jones, Matic, Pogba, Lukaku etc could easily deal with them. We could always call Karate-Zlatan too for backup :lol: