The "We Don't Actually Need A Midfielder" Thread

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
4 games in 9 days coming up. Carrick can probably play in 2 of those. If Cleverley is fit, at best, he might play in 3.

That, folks, is the problem with our midfield 'options'. In important league games we're going to have to start and leave Giggs, Scholes or Fletcher at lesat a couple times. And they've proven this season that not one of them can manage in a midfield two, no matter a combination of those three.

I'd almost rather we stuck in Petrucci or Tunnicliffe. Not saying they're necessarily better, but we have been simply porous whenever Scholes, Giggs of Fletcher have played. Why have a reserve team if not for this time of year?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
4 games in 9 days coming up. Carrick can probably play in 2 of those. If Cleverley is fit, at best, he might play in 3.

That, folks, is the problem with our midfield 'options'. In important league games we're going to have to start and leave Giggs, Scholes or Fletcher at lesat a couple times. And they've proven this season that not one of them can manage in a midfield two, no matter a combination of those three.

I'd almost rather we stuck in Petrucci or Tunnicliffe. Not saying they're necessarily better, but we have been simply porous whenever Scholes, Giggs of Fletcher have played. Why have a reserve team if not for this time of year?
We also have Kagawa, Powell and Jones who can all play there. But as I stated earlier a Dembele would have solved this problem.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Watching Dembele against Swansea today...he really is class. Would undoubtedly of improved our options. Sigh.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The fact Fergie spoke about our midfield off his own accord post game shows he knows it's an issue. Beyond Carrick and Cleverley we are light now that Anderson is out, something that tends to happen sadly. Fletch hasn't looked like the player he was 3 seasons ago since coming back despite all of us wanting him to have the comeback he deserves, Scholesy looks good in certain circumstances but in higher tempo games and under muscular and sustained pressure comes unstuck, whilst Giggsy has lost a touch of his old composure and seems to be giving the ball away cheaply all the time either trying to pull off the flashy or sending long passes to nowhere Gerrard style. Powell looks promising but he needs time and while I'd be happy seeing him besides Carrick or Ando who can add some defensive nous or hustle to our midfield I'd be fearful about him and Clev in a '2'. You could argue that not only are we short on bodies but that our midfield is lopsided towards attack with nobody to come in if the worst happens to Carrick.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I actually think that if all three really push on and fill their boots, a combination of Cleverley, Jones and Anderson could become a good midfield formula. We definitely still could use one more though - someone in Carricks mould with a good long pass and positioning.

After Jones' recent performances though you can see some of his qualities to become a box to box CM, and along with Cleverley who also had the movement and work rate to play in a 4-4-2, they wouldn't make a bad partnership.