The West Wing

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Just started this bad boy following the solid reviews I've read on here. Up to episode 16 of the 1st season.

Anyone else disliked Leo, at this point of this show? Not sure why but I just don't like the guy. Maybe because looks like my grandfather, who's a bit of a cnut.

McLovin

Just watched the season 2 finale right now. One of the best TV episodes I've ever seen.

kps88

Yep. I was blown away. Its all down hill from there...:(

IrishLegend

I'm re-watching the whole thing at the moment. Up to season 3 again.

The Episode where Charlie makes CJ sign out the schedule and retaliates when CJ takes his copy for being so anal about it, is bloody brilliant. Especially the line towards the end:

"So......how long do you normally make people your bitch?"

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
That season 2 finale kind of leaves you with the disappointment that you know you'll never see something quite like that again.

McLovin

That season 2 finale kind of leaves you with the disappointment that you know you'll never see something quite like that again.
Month or so later...just finished the whole thing. Fantastic show. Thought the last season was a return to form (i.e. season 2-3 heights).

Going to miss them all :(

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The season 2 finale was certainly a highlight, but personally, my favorite bit has to be Wayne Rooney's cameo in season 3.

Mockney

So I've just finished season 7. Definitely a return to form after a couple of middling seasons post Sorkin where I tuned in and out of attentiveness frequently. It did have one glaring problem for me though. Santos. He was a silly super candidate. Perfectly likeable and statesman like sure, but entirely uninteresting. I found myself far more interested in Vinick's campaign and actually sort of rooting for him. Despite all the obvious "look, look his party are evil!!" tropes they threw in towards the end.

Santos just wasn't falible enough, and that's completely un-West Wing. Even Barlett, who's essentially a superhero President, has pitfalls and demons that round out his character. He lies about his illness, he smokes, he tempers easily, he's seen as weak by the Chiefs of Staff. Santos has nothing like this, he's even portrayed as a dedicated military hero to Vinick's chicken hawk, just for good measure. The only time they even hint at him having a dark side, it's revealed as a bluff to being even nicer than we thought. Plus his wife was increasingly annoying. I actually skipped forward most of the scenes with her.

It may have just been Alda, but Vinick was the far more likeable and the far more interesting, and that sort of undercut the whole Santos win for me.

Also, what was up with Janeane Garofalo's face?

Still, it was certainly a fitting way to go out. Fantastic series.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Apparently, Vinick was going to win but John Spencer's death changed Sorkin's mind.

I do like the way that they didn't completely screw Vinick though and really enjoyed his character.

My only real problem with the last season was the lack of Toby.

Mockney

I didn't think Sorkin was still involved? He left after Season 4 didn't he? It made far more sense to have Santos win, and end the series with the happy transition and Josh et all still employed, bring Sam back etc...But it sort of felt, pre-Obama, that they were concerned about having a non-white candidate be at all fallible. His entire personality was "He's a super cool, awesome, incorruptible Latino, but we don't really want to mention he's Latino" Which sort of ran against the all the other main characters having at least one obvious flaw or weakness for something. Smitts played him perfectly well, it was just the writing.

Though they wrote Vinick brilliantly. Someone (possibly adex) asked earlier in the thread how they dealt with Republicans, and I thought they dealt with him amazingly. Too amazingly in fact. To the point I don't believe any RNC would ever nominate him.

And yeah, they treated Toby a bit shoddily. Mainly in the sense that all these super nice, decent people were being angry at him for no other reason than they sort of felt it was better if everyone was angry at him. His last scene with CJ was good though.

kps88

John Spencer's death was so surreal and shocking to me. I had no idea he had died until that little prerecorded message just before the episode by Martin Sheen.

Mockney

I also had no idea what Charlie was supposed to be doing for the entire last season. He didn't seem to have any actual job, he just wandered in and out of scenes making small talk with people. He seemed to have Sam's old office, but he clearly wasn't Deputy Communications Director. Unless they downsized that role to making small talk with people.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
My favourite was the two parter ( funnily enough called Manchester) season 3 ending.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The worst thing about season 7 was the intro to episode 1, which revealed before you even watched anything that CJ and Danny get together and move to California so you know she's not staying in the White House. Bartlett calls Will 'congressman' so you know that's coming, Toby is there so you know he's not in prison, and unless Josh somehow ended up working for President Vinick his arrival to introduce POTUS gives you a pretty good clue as to who wins the election. I don't buy the whole 'we hadn't decided who won until the last minute schtick. I'm sure there was something else it ruins as well.

As someone who HATES 'coming up next week on....' segments, that annoyed me.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Half way through season one. Very easy to watch, but I never realised it was meant to be so damn cheesy.

Certainly not as good as I was lead to believe

1999united2008

one of the best shows ever imho, have the complete set on DVD, watch it back through once a year or so :) the plot and dialogue, especially in the first 5 seasons is superb, seasons 6 and 7 weren't quite so sharp plot wise, but they have their moments, I thought the series overall finale was quite good too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
:( was hoping this bump was that they were confirmed to be making a new series.

kps88

Think it's better if it was left alone. They had their (fairly long) run; would be very hard to recreate that magic years later.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah, actually without Sheen, there is no West Wing. Unless they got someone like Freeman or Will Smith or play role of the modern day 'Obama' like president.

1999united2008

:( was hoping this bump was that they were confirmed to be making a new series.
no, didn't realise it was even rumoured tbh, Sorkin's new series, The Newsroom is excellent though, been renewed for a second season as well :)

Think it's better if it was left alone. They had their (fairly long) run; would be very hard to recreate that magic years later.
agreed

Yeah it was great but went downhill after Sorkin left. It ended well, leave it at that.
agreed, wasn't quite the same after he went, you seen his new series? (The Newsroom), it's really good

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Let Bartlet be Bartlet is a superb episode, probably my favourite from Season 1. The last 5 minutes in particular with Leo confronting the President was excellent.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Since when were you on Twitter?

I've watched the first 2 episodes of Season 2, will continue watching tonight. I'm glad I've pretty much forgot everything since the last time I watched it.

What season did you say was the worst again?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've always been on there, I just never post anything. I only saw it because Mockney retweeted it.

I'd say probably season 5 or 6 are the weakest, but I still think they're brilliant.

I've still got the other box sets sat collecting dust - you want me to post them you?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There's no need they're all on Lovefilm so I'm just watching them off there. In HD too so no need for your shitty box sets :)

But thanks anyway!