Television The Wire

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Great show and all but it's not the best TV ever in a world that has "the Expanse" (which smokes game of thrones, the wire and everything else).
The Expanse is enjoyable but not even in the same league as the other TV shoes being discussed as GOAT.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Rewatching at the minute and about half way through season 4. This and 2 and the standout seasons for me. It's as good as TV gets.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I agree S4 is the best single season of TV ever, I'd say only band of Brothers and Chernobyl come close - but they're mini-series so not really comparable.

The Expanse and Better Call Saul better than The Wire :lol: give your heads a fecking wobble you bunch of aaronreddevils.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Today I learned...

Lance Reddick auditioned for the roles of Bubbles and Bunk Moreland in addition to the role he got of Cedric Daniels.

I’d love to see the audition tape of him as Bubs.
Carver auditioned for Stringer Bell, Marlo tried out for Cutty, Dookie went for Michael. They even got the real Jay Landsman to play Jay Landsman but didn't like it so he ended up being Bunny Colvin's second.

GazTheLegend

I agree S4 is the best single season of TV ever, I'd say only band of Brothers and Chernobyl come close - but they're mini-series so not really comparable.

The Expanse and Better Call Saul better than The Wire :lol: give your heads a fecking wobble you bunch of aaronreddevils.
It's just because it's the hipster choice.

You're all hipsters trying to be cool but you're too late. The wires old news and was only great for one season anyway (but yea it was an unbelievable season of television). Some of the plot lines drag (the boxing one, the Greeks etc)

Fight me

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I enjoy BCS and I think it's at least as good as BB if not better, but for me it's still a good level or two below The Wire.
Perhaps, and I appreciate you exercising my use of the word ‘arguably’. But Sopranos is a fecking perfect show and babs on the Wire’s forehead. No argument

Massive Spanner

It's just because it's the hipster choice.

You're all hipsters trying to be cool but you're too late. The wires old news and was only great for one season anyway (but yea it was an unbelievable season of television). Some of the plot lines drag (the boxing one, the Greeks etc)

Fight me
The Expanse is nothing more than a good, sometimes really good, Sci-Fi show. Comparing it to The Wire is nuts. Even if you don't rate The Wire that highly, I could name about fifty fecking shows you could call better than it.*

*I will not actually take the time to do that so don't even ask.

GazTheLegend

I mean... Maybe you're not a massive fan of The Wire, whatever but... The Expanse? This is the hill you choose to die on?

(and I actually enjoy The Expanse)

(but come on)
Die on? I think everyone should watch it and clearly it's underrated given the response here!

Nobody has argued my point. The wire is a great show, sure, but there are times it strays into almost documentary level territory. The camerawork can be frustrating, the plots sometimes feel irrelevant and tertiary, and there are some episodes which really don't have much of a point to them.

It's an IMPORTANT show and watching it can leave you as a better person if you understand the major themes and use them as a magnifying glass into your own life, sure. But the Expanse (and books) also explore similarly important themes throughout, particularly expansionism Vs protectionism and the effects of UBI on a global society.

AaronRedDevil

Ok wow. Dont put me in with them :lol: First off. I didn't like expense. Saw 3 seasons. Still boring as hell to the end. Not watching season 4. Secondly, I never said those shows are better then the wire! Hell no they are not.

ShinjiNinja26

Great show and all but it's not the best TV ever in a world that has "the Expanse" (which smokes game of thrones, the wire and everything else).

Still, binge watching it over a week was maybe one of the best winter weeks I ever spent :)

Season one is a level above all the rest of them, season two sucked - (don't care what anyone says) and hamsterdam was absolute GENIUS.
Liked it, but no where near as good as The Sopranos for me, or arguably Better Call Saul (which is now better than Breaking Bad imo)
Fecking rat feckers, all of ya!!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The Expanse is nothing more than a good, sometimes really good, Sci-Fi show.
And at times rather shit. Again, said as someone who enjoys it. But the acting is nothing special, the writing is at times hammy, and overall beyond being entertaining and fun, it doesn't offer much. I finished it about a month ago and have forgotten most of it.

I'm just amazed that it would be drawn into any kind of debate about it being one of the best shows ever. I expected many things this morning when I woke up, but arguing that The Wire is better than The Expanse was not one of them. The only thing greater about The Expanse is the number of letters of the word following "The" in the the title.

lsd

The Oracle
Carver auditioned for Stringer Bell, Marlo tried out for Cutty, Dookie went for Michael. They even got the real Jay Landsman to play Jay Landsman but didn't like it so he ended up being Bunny Colvin's second.

I love in the video the other actors laughed at the idea that the actor who played carver auditioned for stringer bell

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Die on? I think everyone should watch it and clearly it's underrated given the response here!

Nobody has argued my point. The wire is a great show, sure, but there are times it strays into almost documentary level territory. The camerawork can be frustrating, the plots sometimes feel irrelevant and tertiary, and there are some episodes which really don't have much of a point to them.

It's an IMPORTANT show and watching it can leave you as a better person if you understand the major themes and use them as a magnifying glass into your own life, sure. But the Expanse (and books) also explore similarly important themes throughout, particularly expansionism Vs protectionism and the effects of UBI on a global society.
That's the whole point!! And the camera work feeds into it!

Heardy

Watching this for the first time - just finished season 4, which has been the best for me.

The kids in it are excellent and you have to feel for how shit their lives are. Duquan / Dukie - that poor kid man. I hope he gets a stroke of luck but he’ll probably get killed on a corner.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Perhaps, and I appreciate you exercising my use of the word ‘arguably’. But Sopranos is a fecking perfect show and babs on the Wire’s forehead. No argument
Sopranos was good but the last season was poor and the ending a disaster. I rate The Wire and Breaking Bad above it but who cares as you can watch and enjoy all three?:

Massive Spanner

Sopranos was good but the last season was poor and the ending a disaster. I rate The Wire and Breaking Bad above it but who cares as you can watch and enjoy all three?:
The last season of The Wire was a massive stepdown in quality too, to be fair. Though I think they did still absolutely nail the finale.

The Wire is my top show but I could understand people picking The Sopranos over it, it's very close and probably depends really on which style/characters you prefer overall.

I'd also give Mad men a shout as a (relatively) close 3rd.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yo this the Hihat? Ya'll still open for carryout? I want me some of that peppersteak.

Carolina Red

Staff
Its wild trying to imagine the characters as the other folks who auditioned for them. It’s so hard to do because they developed them so well.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I liked The Sopranos more than a little but The Wire and Breaking Bad were a step above IMO for different reasons. I couldn't get through season 1 of Better Call Saul so maybe I should revisit it.
Better Call Saul is a slow burn at first, but it pays off in the end. I don’t know if I’m putting it in the The Wire/BB/The Expanse (:smirk:) tier yet...I’m behind as the new seasons take ages to get to Netflix.

Lennon7

It’s always fun to infiltrate a thread and question the enjoyment it was founded on

SirAF

Ageist
Can’t believe I’ve never gotten around to watch The Wire before, I’ll definitely have to crack on over the summer. Lance Reddick is immense in Bosch!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Season 2 is fantastic and anyone saying otherwise should give back their TV, they're not using it right.
Yep.

It ages brilliantly, too. It wasn’t until subsequent rewatches did I fully appreciate its brilliance. The change in dynamic between the projects (S01) and the docks (S02) can be jarring and off-putting for some but when you consider it in the context of the entire story, it knits it together beautifully.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
What's wrong with season 2?
I think it's because it's such a big step away from season 1 in terms of the setting. Remember at this point we didn't know that each season would look at a different aspect of the issues in Baltimore (projects, docks, schools, politics, journalism). So it looked jarring at first viewing.

Personally I really liked season 2.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Every season is great. I thoroughly enjoyed season 5 too. People complained about the "fake serial killer" angle being too unrealistic.

I mean, far crazier things have happened in real life. It really isn't that outlandish.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Every season is great. I thoroughly enjoyed season 5 too. People complained about the "fake serial killer" angle being too unrealistic.

I mean, far crazier things have happened in real life. It really isn't that outlandish.
Yeah, it's not like it just happened at random, and is just some random plot point. From the start of the show we see the systemic problems in the police department, and in the final season It accumulates and bad morale and desperation leads to this crazy scenario. It's believable to me because I believe the characters and their burning desire to investigate. The two detectives going rogue with the wire is just cause and effect especially considering they both have had the characteristics to go that far from the start. They both have a gift for martyrdom. All they want to do is solve fecking murders, but they aren't being allowed to work them and that is actually really horrible, which I think some people can forget with it being a tv-show. I think anyone empathising with that reality should get immersed in their final stunt automatically.

Lennon7

Ha! No, agree with your points of course -already watched the sopranos through more than once so might as well start the wire again. Been a long time since I got into a good serious so just stick with what I know!

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Some of the characters were too much of a caricature, especially Ziggy and the 2 greek bosses.
I would like a sequel, where Ziggy comes out of jail some 10 years later, and with his cousin, they go hunting the greeks to avenge Frank.

The greek bosses are awesome, and they are not even greek.

lsd

The Oracle
I would like a sequel, where Ziggy comes out of jail some 10 years later, and with his cousin, they go hunting the greeks to avenge Frank.

The greek bosses are awesome, and they are not even greek.

You really think Ziggy survived even a week in prison ?

b82REZ

If you want to see characters from The Wire playing different ones, watch The Corner. Its essentially the prequel. Can't remember all of the difference but pretty sure Bubbz actor plays the equivalent of Avon.