Television The Wire

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
In the middle of my first rewatch. Not sure why it's taken so long.

Anyway, this is still as funny as it was the first time.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Way more than that.

https://www.imdb.com/search/name/?roles=tt0306414,tt14192504&ref_=rlm

Domenick Lombardozzi
Jamie Hector
Delaney Williams
Darrell Britt-Gibson
Jermaine Crawford
Tray Chaney
Anwan Glover
Nathan Corbett
Bobby J. Brown
Brian Anthony Wilson
Maria Broom
Chris Clanton
Michael Salconi
Kevin Murray
Robert Poletick
Susan Rome
William L. Thomas
Melvin T. Russell
Imani Nia Robinson
Russ Widdall
Kim Tuvin
Gordon Timothy

Seth Hurwitz (uncredited in The Wire)
Ken Arnold (uncredited)
Christopher Crutchfield Walker (uncredited)
James Lewis (uncredited)
Aaron Marcus (uncredited)
Mike D. Anderson (uncredited)
Shaun Woodland (uncredited)
Bus Howard (uncredited in We Own This City)

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Isn't it a bit odd how many of the actors in this never really had much of a career after this? It's as if they were average players made to look good by an incredibly well-drilled system. Marlo for example was so intimidating in this and I don't even recall seeing him in anything else.
Marlo had a very respectable career at Villa, Utd and Inter in fact

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Who do you consider the best actor on the show? I guess I’d pick Michael K Williams.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Who do you consider the best actor on the show? I guess I’d pick Michael K Williams.
Down to him or Andre Royo in terms of The Wire.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
You're right there are quite a few who went on to have decent careers, and of course, Idris became a Hollywood star. I was sort of thinking about Marlo, Bubbles, Avon, Lester, Kima, D'Angelo, Bodie, Frank Sobotka, Proposition Joe... so many memorable characters

Also, now that you mention Snoop, weren't there other characters who were not proffesional actors either?
Young Sabotka (Pablo Schreiber, who is Leigh Scheiber's brother) was Master Chief in the Halo series and was the main character in the movie Den of Thieves (with 50 Cent and Gerard Butler).

Real Name

I'm on a rewatch. Finished the 3rd season. Even better on a rewatch.
Looking forward to 4th season, was the best, about the kids lost in the streets.

Drainy

Looking forward to 4th season, was the best, about the kids lost in the streets.
4th was my fave on first watch but every rematch changes my opinion. Think 3rd or 1st are the best but I do love 2 and 4.

Real Name

4th was my fave on first watch but every rematch changes my opinion. Think 3rd or 1st are the best but I do love 2 and 4.
2nd and 4th were my favorites on the 1st watch.
First was great, third season just somehow passed, it was all right but nothing special and if I remember 5th was a blast too. But 2nd and 4th were the top.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
2nd and 4th were my favorites on the 1st watch.
First was great, third season just somehow passed, it was all right but nothing special and if I remember 5th was a blast too. But 2nd and 4th were the top.
5th is the silliest I think. With the whole fake serial killer thing I got the point but it was a bit daft.

Drainy

5th is the silliest I think. With the whole fake serial killer thing I got the point but it was a bit daft.
Had some great highs and average moments and as you say the silly plot about the serial killer.

Bubbles speech is one of the greatest in TV history. Love it dearly

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Young Sabotka (Pablo Schreiber, who is Leigh Scheiber's brother) was Master Chief in the Halo series and was the main character in the movie Den of Thieves (with 50 Cent and Gerard Butler).
He also had a significant role in Orange Is The New Black.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The crowning moment of season 5:

NotworkSte

Marlo and baby others from The Wire were in We Own This City which is a must-watch if you’ve not seen it.
I watched We Own This City because of Bernthal, it turned out to be far better than I expected and finally got me into watching Th Wire. Took me ages to realize Hector was Suiter and Marlo.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Had some great highs and average moments and as you say the silly plot about the serial killer.

Bubbles speech is one of the greatest in TV history. Love it dearly
The whole storyline with the reporter interviewing him is wonderful. You have this character who we’ve only really seen in funny, disgusting or weird situations. Always masking his true emotions. And then suddenly he’s this sober person struggling, yet thriving. Trying to come to terms with his past and wether that past actually makes it ok for him to be happy or not. The emotional range there is awesome. And seeing him finally opening up, accepting his own past, his mistakes but also the fact that there’s a future, friends and family waiting for him, that was beautiful storytelling. And we deserved this after all this sadness.
To me that was the most beautiful part of the show. This one moment that showed us that even in the worst circumstances there’s hope. Without ever being unrealistic.

Roosney

Wendell Pierce (Bunk) for me. The character is not too multidimensional but Pierce does a great job.

3rd was great on the first round but now (after about 5 rewatches) the Hamsterdam is a tiresome plot line.

I went through the same as a lot of other fans of the show: found season 2 boring on my first watch but find it the best now after many rewatches.

Hoof the ball

Is it as good as breaking bad ?
When you're reaching the levels of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos and Mad Men, you're entering a territory in which better can often depend on mood, emphasis, style and a number of other factors. Each show has certain aspects that they do better or worse than the others. At this level it's too hard to call between them and it really does become a question of apples or oranges.

It's not a question that it's as good as Breaking Bad; it's whether it's better than anything ever made on television. It deserves to be in that conversation.

nimic

something nice
Scout
When you're reaching the levels of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos and Mad Men, you're entering a territory in which better can often depend on mood, emphasis, style and a number of other factors. Each show has certain aspects that they do better or worse than the others. At this level it's too hard to call between them and it really does become a question of apples or oranges.

It's not a question that it's as good as Breaking Bad; it's whether it's better than anything ever made on television. It deserves to be in that conversation.
Mad Men is a level below those two IMO. It has some very high highs, but the average is not quite there.

That said, I did recently queue up another re-watch of it, so it's still great.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is it as good as breaking bad ?
BB and The Wire are my two favorite shows. Both peaked in Season 4 but still had a decent 5th and final season. Sopranos was nearly as good but the last season was a big drop off in quality and the final episode a disaster (imo). Still a really great watch for the most part.