Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I imagine it'll be a mix of people who love the books and hate it for not following them to a tee and people who've never read the books and enjoy it.

GoT was basically scene for scene from the books early on which is why everyone was loving it but supposedly that's much more difficult to do on screen with The Witcher novels.
I've never played a Witcher game or read a Witcher book so am going in with a clean slate!

I loved GOT and LOTR (books and film/TV) but hated the Shannara TV show (despite enjoying the books). I'm usually very forgiving with TV and film but if it's trash I don't continue watching.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Early screeners were right: fight scenes are brilliant, might be a little lost if you don’t know the lore, they nailed much of the casting like Yenn, and Cavill is fapworthy even if you’re a straight male.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I feel nicely reminded of the books. Not sure how I'd feel if I knew nothing about the characters and story.
Some scenes feel a bit low budgety though.The insides of the castle of Cintra were quite bare and dull, and
the resentment for Geralt after the massacre of Blaviken didn't really work, because there were no fecking extras anywhere to watch the whole thing and display the horror at the carnage for which he is vilified. I mean he is also known as the Butcher of Blaviken, someone should have watched the whole thing happen to be able to spread the word :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
An episode and a half and I'm thoroughly enjoying this. That sword fight was fanatatsic.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Watched episode 1. The sword fight at the end was breathtaking. Cavill is great. Eveything else was meh

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I feel nicely reminded of the books. Not sure how I'd feel if I knew nothing about the characters and story.
Some scenes feel a bit low budgety though.The insides of the castle of Cintra were quite bare and dull, and
the resentment for Geralt after the massacre of Blaviken didn't really work, because there were no fecking extras anywhere to watch the whole thing and display the horror at the carnage for which he is vilified. I mean he is also known as the Butcher of Blaviken, someone should have watched the whole thing happen to be able to spread the word :lol:
I assume Netflix didnt feel like fronting them tons of money to start. Kinda like GoT I guess where it feels like the budget kept going higher as the show grew in popularity. Would be surprised if they won't get more money to work with for S2.

evil_geko

I am at middle of the season and loving it, Henry is eerily good as Geralt. I assume negative reviews for this are from salty gamers or people who haven't read the books, might be a bit confusing for non book readers with all the timelines intertwining. I am personally having a blast.

Revan

Assumptionman
Reviews seem to put it between poor and okay. Haven't watched it yet, but the signs don't look good. No surprise that The Netflix embargoed the reviews.

evil_geko

Reviews seem to put it between poor and okay. Haven't watched it yet, but the signs don't look good. No surprise that The Netflix embargoed the reviews.
There are tons of positive reviews, and audience RT is at 89%, I stopped reading "real critic" reviews long time ago as they are usually shite.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I remember Marco Polo got absolutely battered by critics because the first few episodes weren't great and it turned out to be pretty good by the end of season one. Can't really trust reviews because a lot of the time they're done after only watching a few episodes.

Suv666

On episode 6, the first two eps are okay after that it's amazing. People who have played the games and/or read the books will love it not sure about the rest.

Ekeke

Watched the first episode. I looked at both Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 and decided I wasnt interested in either of them when they came out, didnt look that interesting so I'm hoping the series grabs me more than they did.

As for episode 1, cool fights not sure on the characters or story so far. But without a doubt I'll be watching more

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Just finished the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. The seige of Cintra was suprisingly well done and gripping.

Adore Henry Cavill as Geralt. Just perfect casting.

This has so so much potential for greatness. Fingers crossed.

Redplane

Just saw the only magazine actually ripping the show in its entirety is Entertainment Weekly. But then who the feck cares about Entertainment Weekly s opinion anyway. Other than teenage girls and bored older ladies I guess.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just saw the only magazine actually ripping the show in its entirety is Entertainment Weekly. But then who the feck cares about Entertainment Weekly s opinion anyway. Other than teenage girls and bored older ladies I guess.
Hahaha, the review is sort of funny. I couldnt disagree with em more though, I've watched five episodes and loved every minute of it.

evil_geko

I guess the only complaint so far is that they covered too much story, several books, in 8 episodes, it could have easily been two seasons worth of story. I hope that second season is less rushed.

But still loving it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I guess the only complaint so far is that they covered too much story, several books, in 8 episodes, it could have easily been two seasons worth of story. I hope that second season is less rushed.

But still loving it.
Does it go past the first two novel[la]s? Like, into the main Ciri stuff?

evil_geko

Does it go past the first two novel[la]s? Like, into the main Ciri stuff?
It mainly covers first two books, the short stories, but yes, it delves into Blood of the Elves too from what I remember, I read them long time ago.

Enjoyed the first episode but anyone expecting a GoT substitute will be severely disappointed.
It was always strange comparing this to GoT, I would guess some of the negative reviews probably come from expecting something similar to GoT for some reason.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It mainly covers first two books, the short stories, but yes, it delves into Blood of the Elves too from what I remember, I read them long time ago.

It was always strange comparing this to GoT, I would guess some of the negative reviews probably come from expecting something similar to GoT for some reason.
I mean that's basically happened to every fantasy/medieval show since GoT. It's no secret that other networks, Netflix included have been trying to make shows off the success of it, and I suppose reviewers will always compare shows like that to the benchmark.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
GoT had ruined TV fantasy for me. Every scene looks so cheap and don't even get me started on CGI! Overall it looks like a generic fantasy movie/series from the 90's. I mean, a sex scene consisting only from slow-motion close-ups? In 2019?

Redplane

Even though I haven't watched the first episode yet (tonight!) - it seems to me this show is better compared to shows like Vikings or the Last Kingdom perhaps? Relatively low budget but just a relatively no nonsense fun ride?

evil_geko

Finished it, with all the gripes I stated above I will give it 8/10...maybe after the hype it will be more 7/10 but feck it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Oh yeah, one more tiny gripe I have, this is kinda a spoiler:

Why the feck we didn't have the Wolf medallion vibrate even once throughout the season. They didn't really touch upon the medallion at all. :(

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Finished it, with all the gripes I stated above I will give it 8/10...maybe after the hype it will be more 7/10 but feck it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Oh yeah, one more tiny gripe I have, this is kinda a spoiler:

Why the feck we didn't have the Wolf medallion vibrate even once throughout the season. They didn't really touch upon the medallion at all. :(
Pretty sure it does, the show just doesn’t show it really. I’m certain he clutched it at least once when something was near, but I’d have to find that on a second viewing.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Decent for a Netflix production. Geralt is decent, Ciri is decent, everything is just decent.

evil_geko

I pretty much agree with this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-a-fantastic-new-netflix-original-series/amp/

Also Entertainment Weekly called out for their horrible "critics". One of them watched only two episodes and gave an F to the whole season. :lol:
There are lots of "critics" that only skimmed through the season, skipped 80% of the show and called it terrible.

If I needed any more reason not to pay any attention to Rotten Tomatoes "critics" score etc.

Oldyella

That the review that claims the plot is hard to follow but skipped about 3 episodes? Critics really are the worst.

I'm not one who has played the games or books but not finding it hard to follow 3 episodes in. Enjoying it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That the review that claims the plot is hard to follow but skipped about 3 episodes? Critics really are the worst.

I'm not one who has played the games or books but not finding it hard to follow 3 episodes in. Enjoying it.
Yeah, and their first problem with the show was the wig. And then the amount of tits on screen. Which basically means that one of the reviewers didn't like tits on screen and decided at that point to trash the show.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's all about being first out with the review and giving a "hot take" (fecking hate that term) to drive traffic to the site. It got loads of traction on Reddit, that'll get EW loads of clicks. Job done for them. There is no actual critique to speak of.

Anyway, I watched the first episode and enjoyed it.

+ Cavill as Geralt. For someone like me who is only familiar with Geralt from the games, he nails everything about him.
+ Budget. Everything looks great. No cheap, dodgy effects so far.
+ The sword fighting is top notch. Very fast and visceral.

- Ciri's eyes are a bit distracting.
- Some odd dialogue choices for a medieval setting. Ciri saying "Gross" feels out of place but that's nitpicking.

Gonna watch one or two more tonight and finish it over the weekend.

Irwin99

Watched 3 episodes and I'm enjoying it so far although I can't help but feel that it might be a bit too.... inaccessible for some people.. I know GoT had it's dragons and white walkers in the first season but the politics and the dialogue gave it a broader appeal. I'm not sure this will reach the same audience.

Only episode just finished episode 3 and i'm not sure about the casting of Dandelion and Triss. Geralt and Yen are great though. Loved Yen's backstory.