Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it’ll have its moments, but ultimately end up as a run-of-the-mill Netflix show churned out year on year.

evil_geko

Not sure I like the fact that the review embargo doesn't lift until tomorrow :nervous:
There were tons of positive feedback from people who watched several screener episodes a month ago, doesn't mean whole season will be great per se but we will see.

Here are the impressions from screener:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hope you’re well buddy! Been a while. I’m still working until the 24th. Then I have a couple of weeks off, which is probably when I’ll give this a go! Unless I just binge it all this weekend :lol:
I'm doing well. Also working until the 24th. Have holidays from the 25th till the 1st. But I'm not waiting!!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Agree Cavill is excellent! His voice, his movements, the fight scenes! Everything was perfect from him!

Episode 1 started bang average, epic by the end! feckit, probably binge the entire thing today now :lol:

stepic

are we expecting this to be fairly mindless or get into the lore quite a bit?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You take your opinions from The Guardian? Let's say The Guardian gave it 5* and it was the same show, would you then say it's the best thing ever?
No. It would help me decide on whether to watch something.

They gave Cats 1 star so I'm not going to watch that, for example.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
No. It would help me decide on whether to watch something.

They gave Cats 1 star so I'm not going to watch that, for example.
I get that, but you said 3* = enjoyable fluff, what if they are wrong? What if it's not enjoyable?

I don't think basing a conclusion on a review is a good thing.

Massive Spanner

I get that, but you said 3* = enjoyable fluff, what if they are wrong? What if it's not enjoyable?

I don't think basing a conclusion on a review is a good thing.
I wasn't basing a conclusion on it, maybe it was just worded wrong. I'll obviously watch it and see for myself. If the reviews were all 1* though then I wouldn't watch it. If they were all 5* I'd be much more inclined to watch it.

EDIT: Also worth noting that The Verge gave it a much better review and GameSpot gave it a much worse review so it does seem like the sort of show you need to watch for yourself before forming too many opinions.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
They reckon the reviews are all over the place, 5 stars from those who have read the books, 1 star from massive GoT fanboys, and 3 stars from everyone else.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I wasn't basing a conclusion on it, maybe it was just worded wrong. I'll obviously watch it and see for myself. If the reviews were all 1* though then I wouldn't watch it. If they were all 5* I'd be much more inclined to watch it.

EDIT: Also worth noting that The Verge gave it a much better review and GameSpot gave it a much worse review so it does seem like the sort of show you need to watch for yourself before forming too many opinions.
I'm sorry I was just noting that the statement is a bit hasty to me, I just hope this will be enjoyable once I get the chance to watch it.

Massive Spanner

People can't wait to hate this.
I imagine it'll be a mix of people who love the books and hate it for not following them to a tee and people who've never read the books and enjoy it.

GoT was basically scene for scene from the books early on which is why everyone was loving it but supposedly that's much more difficult to do on screen with The Witcher novels.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
First episode done, I'm so hyped that I'd enjoy anything, but I love it!